AMX-30 1st Prototype

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

DCI_Gene_Hunt_WOT #81 Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:11 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 32943 battles

I was that close to lose my nerves and sell that tank, I had the 100mm gun, the top engine and tracks.

It was inaccurate, it was bouncy, it was a crappy tube that threw turd-shaped shells, it was 'de la [edited]'.

With that tank I experienced my first 10-loss-streak and I did not like it.

Instead of selling it I decided to spend some free XP and get the 105 mm gun... and then total change. Now I hit, now I make damage, now I can influence the game.

Win rate is slowly getting better but more importantly, AMX30 becomes fun to play.

With vertical stabs, the standard APCR and a good crew, I can chase and snap shot pretty well.

I mean, come on, this tank has exhausts with a different colour, it's a bloody keeper!

Ylirynnakkojohtaja_late #82 Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19692 battles

I get mixed feelings about this tank. I love the forward speed, dpm, pen and accuracy (when fully aimed in) but I hate the mobility and inability to hit snap shots. Like many others said, the gun feels very derpy despite the 0,33 accuracy and 2,3 aiming time and it turns like a heavy. I wont comment about the armor, statistics say it doesn't bounce anything at all for me.

Still, compared to my other tanks I have been doing quite well in it. I have played 250 games and am at ~87% MoE with overall +2,4k dpg. More recently I think I averaged over 3k dpg though. I am quite consistent with the tank but I find it is impossibly difficult to ace it. After 250 battles I am still only at first class, with about 1970 max exp per battle. Maybe it's just bad luck or then this tank needs some pretty exceptional results for an ace tanker badge.

Ylirynnakkojohtaja_late #83 Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19692 battles
^ Finally got my ace on the the AMX 30 after 284 battles. :) I have done quite reliably in the tank, at around 90% MoE now, but didn't manage to have that one big game until after almost 300 battles. It took me around 5,5k dmg and 8 kills to get the required 2000 experience for the ace tanker badge. It has definitely been the most difficult tank to ace so far for me.

____prophet____ #84 Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

I really like this tank. I knew I had to had one when they introduced it but the grind took a while...

60 games played and I finally have all the modules bar the second engine.

Tank has useful speed capabilities and climbs hills easily, although is not very agile and not as mobile in general as Soviet mediums for example. On a straight line, it is very close to the fastest mediums there are.

Turning is quite sluggish however. Do not attempt circling enemy tanks unless you can keep them tracked. Also, changing direction at speed takes time. It's a little bit like the AMX CDC in this respect.

Gun is very nice. Great to have a tier 10 gun on a tier 9 medium so I can actually make credits with this thing - rarely there's need to shoot HEAT but obviously it's nice to have that option should it be needed. The AMX 30 proto is one of the mediums that actually have the speed to flank opponents so less premium ammo is needed. Accuracy is very good. At medium ranges you can even hit something only aiming 85-90% in. Gun handling is not Soviet-good, but still very nice. When brawling, snap shotting works really well. However, considering the high top speed, don't expect to hit very many shots over 100 meters when travelling full speed. 8 degrees gun depression is very useful - gives you much more versatility than tanks with lesser gun arcs. Courtesy of the gun depression, you can protect yourself well when working bumps and ridgelines - even though you don't have the strongest armor, you can avoid many hits because you're able to hull down better and shoot at Soviet/Chinese opponents when they cannot yet shoot at you.

The most surprising thing about this tank for me has been the armor. On paper it looks very weak and most people say the 30 proto has absolutely no armor. However, that is not the case. Both the hull and turret have thin but very well angled armor and if you angle well and take advantage of the terrain, you can create quite strong effective armor. You can't brawl mindlessly in the 30 prot, and you can't really rely on the armor as a tactic, but you can expect a fair amount of bounces if you know what you're doing. Present just your upper hull without showing your inside drive wheel and hide your (very weak) cupola, and they will bounce a lot. I've had many games with more than 1000 hp bounced or ricocheted. One time an Object 140 rushed me without careful aiming. He bounced three consequtive times. The armor is definitely not strong as in very dependable, but if you use it right, it can work surprisingly well.

So far I'm loving this thing a lot. There are no big weaknesses that I can see provided you don't try to play it like a heavy. I'm able to do as much damage in it as with tier 10 tanks, so it has to be pretty good.

Edited by alisuorittaja, 05 December 2015 - 11:35 AM.

Ylirynnakkojohtaja_late #85 Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:48 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19692 battles

View Postalisuorittaja, on 05 December 2015 - 10:34 AM, said:

you can expect a fair amount of bounces if you know what you're doing.

No.. just no.. All this nice angle this and effective armor that is useless when you look at the statistics that this things bounces which proves that it has absolutely no armor whatsoever. Even the paper M46 Patton bounces almost twice as much and I am never expecting any bounces when I am playing that tank either. People call the HD Cent 7/1 armor paper these days and still the 7/1 bounces almost 4 times as much as the AMX 30.

I can tell you that you will do even better with the AMX 30 if you don't expect any bounces at all. :) The good thing about the AMX 30 is the fact that it is very low profile hull and turret wise so people are having a harder time hitting it in the first place.

TheDrownedApe #86 Posted 08 December 2015 - 08:57 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 49507 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View Postalisuorittaja, on 05 December 2015 - 10:34 AM, said:

The most surprising thing about this tank for me has been the armor. On paper it looks very weak and most people say the 30 proto has absolutely no armor. However, that is not the case. Both the hull and turret have thin but very well angled armor and if you angle well and take advantage of the terrain, you can create quite strong effective armor. 

So far I'm loving this thing a lot. There are no big weaknesses that I can see provided you don't try to play it like a heavy. I'm able to do as much damage in it as with tier 10 tanks, so it has to be pretty good.

View PostYlirynnakkojohtaja_late, on 08 December 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

No.. just no.. All this nice angle this and effective armor that is useless when you look at the statistics that this things bounces which proves that it has absolutely no armor whatsoever. Even the paper M46 Patton bounces almost twice as much and I am never expecting any bounces when I am playing that tank either. People call the HD Cent 7/1 armor paper these days and still the 7/1 bounces almost 4 times as much as the AMX 30.

Ive played a similar amount of games in all these tanks (400) and my average blocked is:

T-54 - 520

Cent 7 - 470

M46 - 243

AMX 30 P - 165

Im surprised the Patton is that high actually. Of the tanks though i prefer the AMX 100% - its just a far better tank than the rest

jwu #87 Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 24829 battles

View PostYlirynnakkojohtaja_late, on 08 December 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

. People call the HD Cent 7/1 armor paper these days and still the 7/1 bounces almost 4 times as much as the AMX 30.

Almost 4 times as much but still so very little that the armor cannot be relied upon in any way.

Not being hit in first instance is the best defense for all of these tanks, and the AMX30 is good at that.

____prophet____ #88 Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:23 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

I said AMX 30 has armor instead of being completely paper. I never said you get to rely on the armor. Point is you do get bounces, even from high tier guns which doesn't happen with a Batchat or Lorraine for example. I'm not saying the armor is strong but it's there. Bouncing three 264-pen shots in a row, which I have done, doesn't happen with zero armor. Neither does bouncing 5 of 6 shells out of an 13 90's clip.

The best thing about the AMX 30 armor is you can fight against scouts without taking too much damage. Every hitpoint saved is important. Lorraine is paper, AMX30 does have workable armor for some situations. And that's a big difference. You do get penned some, but you also bounce some. And remember HE shells too...

*edit*  I just get yoloed by a T57 Heavy. He emptied his clip doing 400 dmg. Twice bounced on my UFP, one shot eaten by tracks, one penetrated LFP. AMX 30; trollish armor. Not reliable in the slightest, but can sometimes save you from seemingly impossible situations.

Edited by alisuorittaja, 15 December 2015 - 12:28 PM.

jwu #89 Posted 10 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 24829 battles

Yup, there is that nice autobounce surface on the UFP, where many people shoot when they use autoaim as they think that it's a paper tank.

And the gun mantlet occasionally trolls them as well.

Eokokok #90 Posted 12 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 18747 battles
Same as Type 61 - if you try to hit the turret that pokes on the ridge too soon or not aim for the tumour on top the bounce is pretty much guaranted.

johncl #91 Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:51 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 54010 battles

I found this tank hard to understand for around 300 battles i felt it needed more gun depression to be a real player @T9

But i have started to really like this and found that using speed relocating getting a few shots of them getting to new location is working ok

My win rate with this tank was an awful 40% for  200 battles my luck was poor and i played the tank poor ..But its stating to click now ...30B is unlocked ready to buy 

Over all good tank and a keeper 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users