Vk1602h Leopard

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

FenixFlame #1 Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:14 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9513 battles
I just want to know is this tanks worth buying ahd how it is ingame... :)

Shoeshine #2 Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 13174 battles
hmmmm
its a "scout" tank so you regularly nearly always play in games where you cant hurt 80% of the enemy team
the tank itself is pretty good (once you get the tracks and top engine) fast, agile and pretty well armoured with decent slope
gun is nothing special though same 5cm gun from Pz3
:Smile_honoring:

*edit*
think of it like playing your Pz3 vs Higher tiers and more often

*edit....again*
stick with the stock turrets for both the Luch and Leopard, the upgraded turrets add alot of weight and i felt it slows them down

DrBake #3 Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:29 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 9132 battles
If you don't like scouting, avoid it like the plague.

And don't think that because you are fast, that other tanks won't hit you - they will hit you often and almost each hit will detrack you, leading to a quick death.

If you want to play a scout tank that is not matched up against Tier 9/10 tanks, try the Luchs.

Samuta #4 Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:39 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6279 battles
the luchs is even more agile, not so fast as the leopard but it stand its ground pretty well. I'm enjoying it quite much but didnt buy the leopard because of its matchmaking

PriorityRiot #5 Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 42870 battles
  • [1PDN] 1PDN
Posted Image

You ll be the nightmare of your enemies if you get in Tier4/5 battles - but thats pretty rare.

Nidaros #6 Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

Private

• Player
  • 9839 battles
I haven't got one myself, but I've tried my sons elite Leopard, and wasn't that impressed. It's quite fast, I guess, but not as agile as I was expecting, and my impression was that it was pretty slow to build speed (must mention I tried it only for 3 battles or something). This bad acceleration makes you an easy kill once you stop or is detracked (even if you brought a reparation kit).  Gun doesn't do much damage. Myself, I wouldn't consider buying one, but I don't enjoy scouting that much, either.

On the other hand I guess most of us has seen how effective it can be in the right hands, spotting for arty and sometimes even killing an arty or two before itself is killed.

Shoeshine #7 Posted 21 July 2011 - 11:50 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 13174 battles

View PostFolterknecht, on 21 July 2011 - 11:44 AM, said:

You ll be the nightmare of your enemies if you get in Tier4/5 battles - but thats pretty rare.

you did well to get a 66% hit rate with it, i found that if i stopped long enough to aim at anything i got pasted :Smile_honoring:

PriorityRiot #8 Posted 21 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 42870 battles
  • [1PDN] 1PDN

View PostShoeshine, on 21 July 2011 - 11:50 AM, said:

you did well to get a 66% hit rate with it, i found that if i stopped long enough to aim at anything i got pasted :Smile_honoring:

no "vertical stabi" for Leo  :(

Well - I dont stop to shoot at Löwe, IS4 and Maus thats for sure - just a waste of amo and time. If playing against PIII and other rolling shitboxes you can stop and shot all day long without much worry. You have to circle PIVs cause that big turret with 7,5 or 10,5cm is to slow to follow you. Ram TDs in their side and keep pressing forward while shooting (STUGIII for example turns very fast).
Arti drivers usually have made a big mess of their trousers even before you arrive - they see you coming ...  :D

Leo = T54 for the little man

Posted Image

Cannoncarl #9 Posted 29 July 2011 - 01:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6245 battles
I wanted to get a Leopard for occacional reconnaissance duties.

Here are my questions:

What kind of equipment can he carry and use? In particular:

1. Camouflage Net?
2. Coated Optics?
3. Additional Grousers (They add some weight, but could be valuable at going off-road.)?

Is the 100-Octane fuel noticeably influencing his performance?

Is the "Leopardturm" turret upgrade neccessary to equip the 5 cm KwK 39 L/60 and does this really affect it's performance in case of speed and turning?

If you equip this turret and the 5 cm KwK 39 L/60, is he still able to carry the additional grousers? I remember my Hummel not being able to equip them when I had equipped the bigger gun.

Is he - as a scout - in some way more capable to spot enemy tanks more easily?
Or does he simply achieve that by being able to get nearer to them without being detected himself?
Is training all 4 crewmembers in Camoflague going to make a significant difference in his ability to remain hidden?

Bob_Marley42 #10 Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:29 AM

Private

• Player
  • 11429 battles
The Leopard can carry camo netting and coated optics, but it can't get additional grousers.

Beesonsticks #11 Posted 29 July 2011 - 02:29 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 14422 battles
  • [QUAKE] QUAKE

View PostLanger, on 29 July 2011 - 01:54 AM, said:

I wanted to get a Leopard for occacional reconnaissance duties.

Here are my questions:

What kind of equipment can he carry and use? In particular:

1. Camouflage Net?
2. Coated Optics?
3. Additional Grousers (They add some weight, but could be valuable at going off-road.)?
1. Yes, although it's not really worth it as you won't be doing much camping.
2. Yes, although they're very expensive (500k, twice the cost of the tank  :( ).
3. No, cannot be mounted on a leopard.

Is the "Leopardturm" turret upgrade neccessary to equip the 5 cm KwK 39 L/60 and does this really affect it's performance in case of speed and turning?
The Leopardturm is the stock turret and is not upgradeable.

Is he - as a scout - in some way more capable to spot enemy tanks more easily?
Or does he simply achieve that by being able to get nearer to them without being detected himself?
The latter.

Is training all 4 crewmembers in Camoflague going to make a significant difference in his ability to remain hidden?
Yes, definitely. Unlike the camo net, crew camouflage skills work even when moving, and as such are very useful for scouts.

Cannoncarl #12 Posted 29 July 2011 - 06:24 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6245 battles
Thank you so far for answering.

I have some additional questions.

1. Does the Camo Net work cumulative with bushes? Do you get the Camo Bonus of both?

2. The Wiki says "Firing your gun makes you between 5%-40% easier to detect for 5 seconds... possibly, depending on the installed gun".
The 5 cm KwK 39 L/60 is not the biggest gun, yet is the Leopard theoretically able to fire a shot and stay hidden, if he is supported by a camo net and a bush?

3. The 5 cm KwK 39 L/60 has an average penetration of 130 mm with AP shells. The side and rear armor of several high-tier TDs is 100mm and less.
Is the Leopard able to engage large cumbersome TDs that way? Is it also able to block their side so they can't turn to aim at him? Or can you simply outmaneuver them and
let arty handle the traversing TD?

4. Comparing the Leopard to the A-20, the A-20 is faster, has a faster traverse, although it is stated that the Leo can turn faster while moving (don't know if it's true),
has a bigger gun with stronger HE shells. Does the A-20 have better Camo values as well? Is the A-20 overall better than the Leopard?

Beesonsticks #13 Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:26 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 14422 battles
  • [QUAKE] QUAKE

View PostLanger, on 29 July 2011 - 06:24 AM, said:

1. Does the Camo Net work cumulative with bushes? Do you get the Camo Bonus of both?
Yes.

2. The Wiki says "Firing your gun makes you between 5%-40% easier to detect for 5 seconds... possibly, depending on the installed gun".
The 5 cm KwK 39 L/60 is not the biggest gun, yet is the Leopard theoretically able to fire a shot and stay hidden, if he is supported by a camo net and a bush?
You can fire and remain hidden with pretty much any tank provided you are have a high enough camouflage bonus, although in practice this becomes very hard to do with larger tanks. Now as far as I'm aware the WoT devs have not published the exact camo figures for each tank and gun but I would guess that the 5cm is closer to 5% than 40%. Remember as well that firing is less likely to get you spotted if you are completely behind a bush rather than in it.

3. The 5 cm KwK 39 L/60 has an average penetration of 130 mm with AP shells. The side and rear armor of several high-tier TDs is 100mm and less.
Is the Leopard able to engage large cumbersome TDs that way? Is it also able to block their side so they can't turn to aim at him? Or can you simply outmaneuver them and
let arty handle the traversing TD?
Penetration in WoT is based on a rather complicated set of factors. Most of what the devs have made public about these can be read here.
From personal experience however, I can tell you that the 5cm is more than capable of penetrating TDs in the side up to at least tier 6, and sometimes at even higher tiers. As such the Leopard can engage TDs in this manner, but you need to watch out for two things:
i) Make sure the TD is alone. You may be able to run circles around one TD, but if he's got someone covering him you'll wind up dead very quickly.
ii) Don't assume that all TDs are large and cumbersome. Many (the StugIII being a prime example) are very maneuverable and may well be able to keep their front armour and gun pointed at you.

4. Comparing the Leopard to the A-20, the A-20 is faster, has a faster traverse, although it is stated that the Leo can turn faster while moving (don't know if it's true),
has a bigger gun with stronger HE shells. Does the A-20 have better Camo values as well? Is the A-20 overall better than the Leopard?
Having played both I always considered the Leopard more maneuverable, although I've not tested this. The Leopard is also:
i) Far more survivable with it's higher hit points and heavier, sloped armour.
ii) Has a better gun.
iii) Has much better viewing range (very important in a scout).
Now obviously 'better' is subjective and you'll find people who prefer the A-20, but in my opinion the Leopard is vastly superior.

Arkhell #14 Posted 29 July 2011 - 10:39 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 16942 battles
leo can turn at high speed without bleeding a lot of speed so it can maintain it's top speed easyer while avoiding shots (very important)
leo shoots faster and has beter penetration the the A-20 so better dmg in case it's needed
leo ahs better viewrange
leo is a real scout tank
leo has better armor
leo is totally overpowered in tier 4 matches :)

Cannoncarl #15 Posted 29 July 2011 - 11:15 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6245 battles
Thanks, guys! That might help me quite a bit.
I am definately going to get one of those as I like the infiltration and reconnaissance job.

Sciurus #16 Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

Private

• Player
  • 31163 battles
  • [GRNPA] GRNPA
I enjoy the Leopard as a Scout Tank and im happy if i get into tier 8-10 battles with it because usual as bigger the Tanks as slower are they which gives me more time to get to my "Scouting Spot".

There are different Playstyles i prefer to get into a forward positon bush and hide and spot for my Team as the battle advance i move to get artillery or cap base on some Maps if things go bad im usual the last player alive on my team and sometimes i manage to get a draw out hiding at my base and when the base is almost caped i shoot the tanks and hide again (they even reset even if you dont dammage the tank).

I use Camo-Net - Ventilation and Binoculars - 100% crew and my camo skill is around 80% which means if im hiding complete in a bush enemys pass me in 30m distance and dont see me.

If you on top of the list and you play smart you get out with usual 5-7 kills only tank i fear is pz3 because if you get into a 1 to 1 even if you manage to kill it you would get heavy dammaged to.

Another funny thing i noticed is if you play a high tier battle and you know the maps you can guess the movement of the enemy and get your scouting done without any worry to get dedected in lower tier maps i get surprised by low tier tanks with "unusual movement" which find me in my bush so i need to kill them and give up my scouting spot.

Cannoncarl #17 Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:43 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6245 battles

View PostFolterknecht, on 21 July 2011 - 12:17 PM, said:

Posted Image

How did you get this camo paint on you tank? My tanks are all grey.

Strongback #18 Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:36 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 12217 battles
  • [-TIB-] -TIB-

View PostLanger, on 29 July 2011 - 07:43 PM, said:

How did you get this camo paint on you tank? My tanks are all grey.

By changing the skin files on your World of Tanks folder

PzPionier #19 Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 19861 battles
Posted Image

Im aswell a great fan of the Leopard! In high tier matches, i use different tactics depending on the map. Sometimes it can be good to reach a cover at the front
quick and just light up the enemies for your team. The best thing is here not to shoot at all, as you will not do significant damage but you will be spotted more easily.

Another good thing can be to rush through the enemies SPG spawn right at start of the game.  Try it at Steppe or Arctic, and your team will praise you when it
can take out the enemy arty in trade for that 1 Leo ;)

When i manage to get to the enemy arty unseen, does not happen that often honestly, i usually dont kill the nearest arty directly, but track it and use it as cover vs. the other enemy tanks.
You survive longer, as some will fear to do a teamkill and have to move before they can shoot you. In the meanwhile, you are spotting the enemy base for your own artillery.
In general words, in a Leopard you always should think about the scouting first and damaging enemies at last.

Of course, in the matches you are mid or even high tier, maybe 20% of cases, you can just roll and punish the enemies.
Small dunes, hills and such will be your friend and allow you to angle your sloped armor in a way the enemy will hate.

Hallys #20 Posted 30 July 2011 - 06:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 24365 battles
DO NOT use camo net on Leopard. u are a scout. Actually if u not enjoiyng being a scout do not buy anything for it. Leopard can be pain in the ass for med tanks, cos of this speed and own when matchmaking puts him to top. Got my first "steel wall" achievement with him. 6vs1 and I killed them all while being in open. Lower tier shots bounce like nothing, and even meds are under pressure when Leopard is in the game. As for all tanks, dont buy if u cant afford 75% crew. Leopard is the best scout (on german side) and he is the best at it. Right now Im on tier 5 on german tanks (leveling all- TD-s mediums, arty), but I always look is there a leopard on enemy side, if yes I know we have troubles. As for all tanks,  u need to learn how to play them and since the game is free try to enjoy it.
Leopard have speed, he have small body, he can bounce.
Upgrade engine and tracks first and u can make it to another tier like nothing. All German tanks have bad matchmaking, cos of tiers. russians and americans can have heavy tanks in tier 5 while germans can have them at tier 7. Wait for arty/TD-s get in position, then rush. Do not stop to shoot, just revile them and XP is coming.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users