What equipment to mount on your tank

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

Bloodaxe31 #1 Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9381 battles
Reading the game manual it appears that if one has the credits or gold then there are about ten essential pieces of equipment that can be mounted to enhance one’s tank.

:unsure:

As one is limited to three then I’d be interested to know which the best combinations are.

On my light tanks I’ve tended to send them out (when I remember!) with binoculars, camouflage net and toolbox. Is this perhaps OTT and does it slow them down?

For the medium tanks with a larger gun I’ve substituted a rammer for the toolbox.

Heavies get a rammer, gun laying drive and it’s a toss-up between binoculars and camouflage net. Is there any point in a camouflage net on a KV – not like it’s easy to hide nor a good tank to camp in?

On Tank Destroyers its rammer, net and binoculars - I don’t see he point in toolbox since once you are hit it means you have been found and unless you are lucky the next shot usually finishes you.

Similarly when I did artillery (I’ve given that up) it was net and rammer.

:Smile_honoring:

The MS-1 is quite keen on the net since he likes to hide under it when he’s camping at Malinovka with his thermos of tea and sandwiches. I’ve a suspicion he also uses it to sneak off to the pub in Redshire – which might explain why when the toolbox comes back he’s short of a few spanners.

:D

Driver134 #2 Posted 21 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12972 battles
Light. binoculars, cammo net, coated optics
Medium. Gun laying drive, Rammer, stabilizer
Heavy. Gun laying drive, Rammer, stabilizer

shnbwmn #3 Posted 21 July 2011 - 06:15 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13049 battles

View PostDriver134, on 21 July 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

Agreed, on my T30 i have stabilizer, rammer and gun laying drive.

smetana #4 Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 9116 battles
  • [AHK] AHK

View PostDriver134, on 21 July 2011 - 05:58 PM, said:

Have to disagree on the lights especially, camo net & binoculars kick in after 3 seconds of standing still and a good light is most of the time moving.

Gun laying drive on a slow cannon does absolutely nothing, if you can aim to the maximum ability before the cannon is reloaded, the gun laying drive is useless.

Stabilizer, sure, that's a fair bet but it really depends on how you play.

I tend to add ventilation to all my tanks, the 5% skill increase sometimes works better than the rammer or a gun laying drive. Then again, you can always add a rammer and the laying drive on top of that.

In the end, it all depends on how you play, on the tank and it's weapon.

Kurik #5 Posted 21 July 2011 - 08:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7164 battles

View Postsmetana, on 21 July 2011 - 08:07 PM, said:

Have to disagree on the lights especially, camo net & binoculars kick in after 3 seconds of standing still and a good light is most of the time moving.
With binocs and camonet on the right light tank, you can rush to a forward hiding position at the beginning of the match and just stay hidden there spotting the enemy team. Can be decisive in the right situation - especially on Malinovka, and on Prokhorovka if your team plays it smart and plays defensively on the road side (with your spotting support) instead of trying to advance through the invisi-tank bushes of doom.

Gun laying drive on a slow cannon does absolutely nothing, if you can aim to the maximum ability before the cannon is reloaded, the gun laying drive is useless.
Actually, if you are in a situation where you can duck in and out of cover the decreased aiming time can help minimize the amount of time you spend exposed to enemy fire. Though I imagine vertstab is even better for this, when available.

I tend to add ventilation to all my tanks, the 5% skill increase sometimes works better than the rammer or a gun laying drive. Then again, you can always add a rammer and the laying drive on top of that.
Ventilation is a common pick for me as well, mainly because for lower-tier tanks it's one of the cheaper items and gives a decent, well-rounded bonus.

On my Ferdi I currently have binocs + spall liner + toolbox. With random teams I can't always rely on teammates to spot the enemy for me, so  without binocs I'm liable to catch a lot of invisi-tank fire due to my poor camouflage. Spall liner decreases the likelihood of arty hits penetrating for devastating damage, as the Ferdi does tend to catch quite a lot of arty fire. I initially intended to replace the toolbox with a rammer later (I had bought the toolbox for my PzIII/IV earlier to help it recover from getting immobilized), but having tried it I'm really liking the very fast repair times I'm getting from the combination of the toolbox + the repair skill. The Ferdi can take some hits, but without a fast repair time getting your tracks blown off or your gun disabled can be a real worry. I might still get the rammer once my crew's repair skill has been leveled to 100% and I've unlocked the 12,8cm, since it's more slow-firing.

Ew_ #6 Posted 21 July 2011 - 09:01 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 28278 battles
  • [FAME] FAME
I play german tanks, and basicly its this;

Light
: nothing, only low tier stuff here
Medium Tier 7+ : Rammer, Vertical Stab, Coated Optics
Heavy : Rammer, Vertical Stab, Coated Optics
Maus : Rammer, Fans, Spall Liner
Arty tier 6+ : Rammer, Gun Laying Drive, Fans
GW Typ E : Rammer, Gun laying drive, camo net

kpr_Wichura #7 Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:41 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 4847 battles
My TD [StugIII]:

Cammo net - for better ambushes
Binoculars - for better ambushes
+ equipment which lower reload time for 10% - for more effective ambushes/assault support

DrBake #8 Posted 22 July 2011 - 07:53 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7927 battles
I think equipment depends on your playstyle.

I play my Panzer IV as a sniper and have given it camo net, binocs and rammer.

Someone else who uses the Panzer IV aggressively could equip it with optics, rammer and stabilizer.

Alejando #9 Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:15 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18527 battles
  • [LBG] LBG

View PostDrBake, on 22 July 2011 - 07:53 AM, said:

I think equipment depends on your playstyle.

Exactly. Think about how you like to play your respective tank, and optimize that with the equipment.

However, wasting credits on equipment (besides camo, binocs, tool that you can strip again for free) for any tank below tier 6 is just stupid imo. These lower tiers are not funny to play - it's a grind!
The occasional tier 5 max battles can be fun as piss though

XxBigEyexX #10 Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 2054 battles
Lowe - Rammer, Binocs, and Ventilation.

I play as a sniper, but as i have high armour dont need camo, :)

Homer_J #11 Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:45 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17380 battles
  • [AXIOM] AXIOM
Vents, always vents.  5% might not seem like much but with a 100% commander it's 6% on almost every skill.  A bargain on light and medium tanks.

Rammer if the loading time isn't faster than the aiming time already.

Vertical stabiliser if available.

Camo net on TDs, light/medium tanks, anything with a spare slot (though it isn't worth buying for certain vehicles).

Binoculars only if you intend standing still.  Optics if you don't.  Or both if you are unsure.

wizzpete #12 Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:06 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 12330 battles
  • [DADS] DADS
Light - Camo net, Binos, Vents
Meds - Camo net(I play Panther, so try to stay as sniper for reasons obvious to anyone who plays German meds :) ), Vents and Wet ammo (again, obvious to Panther users. Reload times are pretty good for Long 88 anyway.
Heavy - Spall Liner (IS-7s and Maus' get more than their fair share of HE lobbed at them) vents and Rammer
TDs - Rammer, Camo net, Optics (as binos take 3 secs to work and you often move your tank to reposition as you have no turret), although I sometimes use Vents.
Arty - Camo net, gun laying drive and rammer.

Sibble #13 Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:18 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9007 battles
I don't put any equipment on my lights, but than again I don't like them and consider them a grind to do before getting to the real tanks.
On mediums and heavies I'll almost always install a rammer and usually the gun laying drive, since I like to get up close and personal which usually ends with a peek-a-boom or dogfight combat, where reload and aiming time decides who will burn and who will limp away victorious. Once I reach higher tiers I'll use the stabilizer rather than GLD. In beta I also used the spall liner on tier 8-10, because those tend to get spammed with HE.
On TDs and arty the first thing to install is cameo net, since spotted arty = dead arty and spotted TD = TD in trouble.
I also like the toolbox, combined with high repair skill can be annoying for the enemy.

However, wasting credits on equipment (besides camo, binocs, tool that you can strip again for free) for any tank below tier 6 is just stupid imo. These lower tiers are not funny to play - it's a grind!
The occasional tier 5 max battles can be fun as piss though
Can't agree with you there mate. I install equipment on the tanks I know I'll keep after elite and there are at least two tier 5 vehicles on that list: the KV (already equipped with the rammer, laying drive and toolbox-soon-to-be-replaced-with-optics) and the pz4 (not really sure what to install on this one, I gues I'll go with the spall liner to help vs arty, optics and the performance-increasing module for better mobility).

Also, with the ability to dismount equipment for 10 gold I think I'll start to use it more frequently.

DriveBy #14 Posted 22 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 16522 battles
My main setup is stabilizer / gun laying drive / ventilation for maximum firepower efficiency or gun laying drive / ventilation / rammer for those tanks, which cannot mount stabilizer. Sometimes I switch ventilation for binoculars.

Going to experiment with stabilizer / gun laying drive / spall liner when aquire some tougher heavies.

For scouts I use ventilation / optics / binoculars or ventilation / camonet / binoculars if camo skill is low.

Arty is quite simple - rammer / gun laying drive / camonet.

For TDs I use either camonet / binoculars / gun laying drive or camonet / rammer / gun laying drive.

When starting new tank I put toolbox on it unless repair skill is over 40%. Usually it takes gun laying drive or ventilation slot.

Homer_J #15 Posted 23 July 2011 - 08:53 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17380 battles
  • [AXIOM] AXIOM

View Postwizzpete, on 22 July 2011 - 09:06 AM, said:

Meds - Camo net(I play Panther,

Unless they changed it recently there is no point having a camo net on a Panther, 25% of next to nothing is pretty much nothing.  Stabiliser is available for Panther and IMO would be a better use of the slot.

steview162 #16 Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:25 PM

First Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 24020 battles
  • [-T-O-] -T-O-
am looking for hints/tips about the grousers and enhanced suspension, but the complete lack of mention of them here is telling its own story, lol. thought especially for fast lights/meduims the extra speed of the grousers would be useful, was thinking the suspension improvement would increase speed too, but was looking verification before spending hardearned

X534 #17 Posted 28 July 2011 - 04:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 13759 battles
  • [BAC0N] BAC0N
for td's i reccomend getting camo, binocs and the third is up to you (extra camo and visual is best to spot and shoot enemies before they see you)

Heka #18 Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:47 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11809 battles
In most of my tanks I use rammer and ventilation to get as fast reload as possible. Third equipment is different from tank to tank.

Heka #19 Posted 29 July 2011 - 08:49 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11809 battles
Early on, when you don't have enough credits to buy fancy equipments, camo net, binoculars and toolbox is nice because you can change them from tank to tank. Just try to get 2 sets of each so you have one set free when one set is stuck in the tank that is in fight.

Nikola_Bathory #20 Posted 29 July 2011 - 09:11 AM

First Sergeant

• Translator
  • 14386 battles
  • [HWBG] HWBG
Gun laying drive, Rammer, Ventilation  :Smile_honoring: