Does my PSU eat too much electricity in standby?

PSU Power supply unit consumption watt standby

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

sd92 #1 Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:02 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5224 battles
  • [XRB] XRB

I would need some experiences from you guys, who know something about computers, and maybe have some kill-a-watt wattmeter nearby.

I will try to RMA my PSU because it doesn't behave as i expected, i hope that you all will give me some insight and faith that i can do this.

I have custom-built my computer from quite mid/high-end parts in 2014, one of them being

a PSU(power supply unit)  Fortron/FSP Aurum CM 650W.  It says on sellers website that it has 1 Watt standby consumption (that means when

it is in electricity, but otherwise turned off, you know).

I recently bought some wattmeter, it measures from 5Watts up, so it cant measure very low values, but i found, that

my PSU eats 9Watts (!) when my computer is shutdown, or when it is sleeping while ram is still powered for quick wake up.

(Pity that i discovered this after a year.)

Even when i disconnect all the cables from motherboard, and only alone PSU is connected to mains, still 9Watt draw.

I put it out and measured some cheap old secondhand Eurocase 400W, and this one eats 14 Watts in standby.

I understand that 80+ Gold certification tells that PSU has best effectivity when you have around 50% load, but.. If it has to eat 1 watt, it can't be so uneffective, that it will

eat 9 times more instead.

Anybody has some experience with this? Can you measure your values for me?

War_of_Genius #2 Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:36 AM

Major

• Player
  • 28968 battles

I use a multiple socket output with a switch. So if I do not use my PC, no electricity is used at all.

And we got a saying in Germany: "Wer misst mist Mist" = "Who measures, measures manure." It means: R u absolutely certain that u know what u r doing and u r doing it the right way?

sd92 #3 Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:58 PM

Private

• Player
  • 5224 battles
  • [XRB] XRB

Yeah i got such thing also, but i just want my computer be in sleep, so it can be instantly ready for use. Hibernation is little buggy in my opinion, at least it was on my old machine with Windows XP; on this new machine with Win7  i used it only few times, only once had problem here.

And yes, i know what i am doing, how i am doing it, and what i want to archieve. I just checked one site which makes PC reviews and tests, and they tested the PSUs consumption the same way as i do.

Woody1999 #4 Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:09 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15905 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postsd92, on 16 February 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

Yeah i got such thing also, but i just want my computer be in sleep, so it can be instantly ready for use. Hibernation is little buggy in my opinion, at least it was on my old machine with Windows XP; on this new machine with Win7  i used it only few times, only once had problem here.

And yes, i know what i am doing, how i am doing it, and what i want to archieve. I just checked one site which makes PC reviews and tests, and they tested the PSUs consumption the same way as i do.

Firstly, if you want fast boot times, get a cheapo SSD like the Kingston V300 Series 120GB and install your operating system and some of your favourite games on that. Who needs hibernation mode when you can boot your PC in less than 20 seconds?

Secondly, you could find a way to make the switch accessible, so you can turn your PC off at the wall when not using it. I save a lot of power just by doing that, otherwise my PC would be on all day, every day, meaning:

5W (roughly) is 5J/s. 5J * 60 = 300J a minute * 60 = 18kJ an hour * 24 = 432kJ of electricity a day. And that's without me even using it.

Woody

Shade1982 #5 Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20088 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L

View Postsd92, on 16 February 2015 - 05:02 AM, said:

I understand that 80+ Gold certification tells that PSU has best effectivity when you have around 50% load, but.. If it has to eat 1 watt, it can't be so uneffective, that it will

eat 9 times more instead.

The 80+ Plus certification actually has nothing to do with best load for efficiency. All it means is that the PSU is garantueed to have no more than 20% energy loss. The 80+ PSU's have an efficiency of 80% all the way from 20% load up to 70% load.

Unless you were talking about the higher quality PSU's from Bronze and up. However those efficiency levels are on specified load levels, so is independent from the power level at idle.

Also, unless the prices for electricity are VERY different from where I live, having your computer on all the time doesn't really cost that much. We pay 120/140 euros for the electricity bill each month for a three-person household and the costs for my computer are less than 3% of that...

Edited by Shade1982, 17 February 2015 - 12:21 AM.

sd92 #6 Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:59 AM

Private

• Player
  • 5224 battles
  • [XRB] XRB

View PostShade1982, on 16 February 2015 - 11:17 PM, said:

The 80+ Plus certification actually has nothing to do with best load for efficiency. 

I know, but if you look at the numbers, you immediately see that always you get best efficiency values when your load on PSU is around 50%.

Guys i just want to know if it's normal for PSU to eat 9 watts when computer is shut down. I think it is too much. On some places on internet i read that their computers consume around 1 watt when off.

Shade1982 #7 Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20088 battles
  • [QSF-L] QSF-L
9 watt does seem to be a tad much. As far as I know it shouldn't be more than 5...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users