Electrically powered AFV's.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Alpha_snake #1 Posted 28 February 2015 - 06:22 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4874 battles

Originally this was going to talk about electrical type power packs for just Main battle tanks. I had the idea about replacing the internal combustion engine power plant with a electrical one(fuel cells,capacitor banks, batteries,etc). I was also thinking about making a separate electrical APU as well for on-board stuff.

Of course I can understand that there are problems with such a idea. There are also some advantages as well. one of which is being able to use places with electricity to charge up the power pack. they could also be more economic and less of a hassle with environmentalists. Also less moving parts= less overall complexity. Of course overheating could be a potential issue. electric powered AFV's could be quieter as well. 

This is all theoretical at the moment. This is more to discuss weather such a concept could be viable, given time and attention.

BP_OMowe #2 Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:36 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17372 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostAlpha_snake, on 28 February 2015 - 06:22 PM, said:

There are also some advantages as well. one of which is being able to use places with electricity to charge up the power pack.

Here you summed up the whole problem in one sentence.

Liquid fuel is transportable in a way that electricity is not.

Liquid fuels also have a much higher energy density when stored.

Refilling liquid fuels are also much faster than recharging a power pack (albeit this point can be mitigated by replacing the empty pack for a fully charged one).

maximillien #3 Posted 27 January 2017 - 11:35 AM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

You are right for the electronics, the chargers are very difficult to transport.

Maximilien de Jobmetender

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users