56 replies to this topic

Baldrickk #21 Posted 06 February 2016 - 10:10 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostGeneral_McMuschi, on 14 January 2016 - 04:18 PM, said:

i think being better at firing on the move is important so - vstabs

Chaffee has okay view range to begin with, but I'd still put some sort of equipment that improves view range on it. Which one, depends on you. In my opinion, Chaffee is a bit slow and sluggish so I like to sit in a bush more than to run around actively spotting. But there are maps on which it would be better to have optics, there are maps where you wish you had binos so it's your choice.

I'd take camo net if I didn't have camo on my crew, but I do so I'd take vents.

So for me it's: vstabs, vents and binocs OR optics.

In my opinion, Chaffee is a bit slow and sluggish 

slow and sluggish 

Wat?

72 kmph with acceleration only beaten by the ELC...

punkadelic #22 Posted 06 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17264 battles

81 battles in and I have to say the Chaffee is utterly horrible, I just don't get how to play it.

I try to get to a bush, I get spotted before I get there, and killed.

I try to move around and use cover, I get spotted detracked, and killed.

My gunner is blind as a bat and rarely hits anything.

It feels like the whole enemy team have locked their guns onto me, and rarely seem to miss,

I am now beginning to realise why I don't have any other light tanks...

Edited by punkadelic, 06 February 2016 - 03:00 PM.

Baldrickk #23 Posted 06 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
http://wotreplays.eu...ckk-m24_chaffee
http://wotreplays.eu...ckk-m24_chaffee
A couple of battles from today and a couple of days ago, nothing special, just typical playstyle with the Chaffee.
Crew are not great either, only got them to 100% primary skill after the Serene Coast game. By the erlenberg game, they were up to about 50% camo skill.

Planned crew skills are
All camo
Retrain commander for 6th sense, smooth ride and snapshot, situational awareness
Retain all for BIA, commander 6th sense then camo, all other crew camo, then smooth ride and snapshot again.

Equipment loadout is rammer, v-stab, optics.

Speed *****
Mobility ****
Gun handling *****
Armour *
Damage *
Vision *****
Camo ****

punkadelic #24 Posted 07 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17264 battles

Interesting replys, thanks for sharing :)

You don't appear to be playing that much differently to me, except I am probably a little bit more aggressive and there might be my problem, I am guessing I am not withdrawing quickly enough.

I have no doubt that if it had been me sitting on top of the ridge, near the house, I would have been spotted and probablly hit by the IS or SU.

My crew aren't maxed out yet so I have no camo, maybe that is why I am being spotted apparently, easiy.

also you appear to be using auto aim, which I don't as i remapped my right mouse button for sniper view, and again I might have to look at that.

I now have the next light researched, just working towards earning enough cash to buy it, so that might prove interesting...

Anyway, thanks again for sharing :honoring:

Baldrickk #25 Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

No worries!

I probably use auto aim too much, but it is very useful for when you are focusing on driving or know you will auto pen weak armour, or just being too lazy to aim.
For a start, it helps negate any lag induced inaccuracy on the move, most of the time.
In the Erlenberg game, not getting spotted was more down to the use of the bushes up there than camo skill, though yes, camo really does make a big difference. Until you fire, and light yourself up no matter how good your camo skill is. Luckily the IS and SU are relatively blind.

At this point, I'd recommend sticking with the Chaffee for a bit.
The T37 is similar, but bigger and slower and less stealthy. This is made up for by the gun being stronger and slightly more accurate on the move.
Whether you intend to move your crew on, or start a new one, I'd recommend training your crew in the Chaffee before moving up, until you at least have 6th sense on the commander (and camo on the rest). View ranges get larger, on all tanks, and it is easier to practice your survival at lower tiers.
If you were playing the German line, I'd recommend sticking with the Luchs at tier 4, but the M5 is not very good at combat which is needed sometimes, so in the US line. The Chaffee is the place to train.

You have probably read this elsewhere, but remember, lights are most useful early on, getting those first spots, and in the late game where you have the space to put that speed and camo to good use.

I'll likely be online Mon-Wed evenings this week, if you want, I'd be happy to platoon and try and give you some pointers. Or just join the forumites channel ( http://forum.worldof...n-game-channel/ ) to find people who would be happy to give advice or platoon.

Edit:  Both of those replays from earlier were played relatively passively at the start, but they were the ones I had avaliable (I upload all my Ace Tanker games).

In this game http://wotreplays.co...ckk-m24_chaffee I played more agressively at the start, and ended up with more damage than anyone else at the end.  Unfortunately I made a mis-play that ended in my death - also a mis-use of auto-aim, don't use it when shooting targets moving laterally (left<->right) as it tends to miss even more.

Key points are shots of opportunity (e.g. vs Cromwell) and isolating tanks (e.g. ELC and VK 3001 P )  In the former case, don't be afraid to pull back after just one shot.  If they get a shot back at you, you lose out more than they do.

Edited by Baldrickk, 07 February 2016 - 07:48 PM.

punkadelic #26 Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17264 battles

Thanks for that good advice, I will try to employ some of it.

I can't get on with auto aim as I find it difficult to get it to lock on quite often, meaning I am spending more concentration trying to do that than avoiding fire.

Are you using right click to aquire your target? or is there another way that I obviously, don't know about?

My Chaffe is elited now so crew will skill up quicker, that should make a difference, I'll keep the Chaffee and see how it goes for a bit longer, once my crew is better.

I blew my cash on the Firefly, so will have to wait for the T-37 now in any case :)

Edited by punkadelic, 11 February 2016 - 12:35 PM.

Baldrickk #27 Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Oh, I have a mod that snaps various commands to the nearest target on screen.
Works for auto aim, but is also useful for the "target X'" and "attacking 'X'" messages when you are leading shots on a moving target for example.

punkadelic #28 Posted 11 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17264 battles

I thought you might have something like that, from watching your replays, it did seem as though you were targeting the enemy a lot easier than right clicking on them.

I'll have to check that out :)

I must thank you again for posting the replays on here, I found them very intersting, and helpful.

cobalt_killer #29 Posted 21 March 2016 - 12:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 6015 battles

I'm currently running Vents / Optics / Camo Net although once my crew hits 100% Camo I'll be dropping the Net for V-Stab...

I am suprised people use binocs when the Chaffee already has great view range, plus it does nothing for you when you are being active.

I'm not the best light driver (a far way off!) as I struggle to stay still and bush-scout and am still learning when to run! Can't wait for first skill/perk so I can swap for Sixth Sense! Lovely little tank for causing trouble and annoying people :D

Lycopersicon #30 Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:31 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10878 battles

Instead of thousand words...

Spoiler

All eggs in the viewrange basket. However, binocs would really be an overkill imo, and camo net so rarely useful that I never even considered it. Vstab is great, I think I almost only shoot on the move anyway.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 23 March 2016 - 07:32 AM.

Baldrickk #31 Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostLycopersicon, on 23 March 2016 - 07:31 AM, said:

Instead of thousand words...

Spoiler

All eggs in the viewrange basket. However, binocs would really be an overkill imo, and camo net so rarely useful that I never even considered it. Vstab is great, I think I almost only shoot on the move anyway.

I'm running the same, only with Rammer instead of vents.  My view range is 443m, which is enough, and I have that 10% damage boost over you ;) which is why I suggest rammer, v-stab optics.

V-stab is essential equipment for this entire line.

Lycopersicon #32 Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:00 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10878 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 23 March 2016 - 08:42 AM, said:

I'm running the same, only with Rammer instead of vents.  My view range is 443m, which is enough, and I have that 10% damage boost over you ;) which is why I suggest rammer, v-stab optics.

V-stab is essential equipment for this entire line.

Actually, you only have 7.5% better DPM ;) and I have better viewrange alreaday now. Will be 452m when mr. Franklin reaches 100%.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 23 March 2016 - 09:14 AM.

Baldrickk #33 Posted 23 March 2016 - 11:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostLycopersicon, on 23 March 2016 - 08:00 AM, said:

Actually, you only have 7.5% better DPM ;) and I have better viewrange alreaday now. Will be 452m when mr. Franklin reaches 100%.

Yeah, you're right, I wasn't factoring in vents.

To be picky, 7.79% better DPM.

View PostTidal_Force, on 28 February 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

Tidal_Force to the rescue:
5% crew skill increase translates to:
2.1% increase in performance for progressive stats (e.g.. view range)
2.7% increase in performance for degressive stats when 50%->55% (e.g. accuracy, reload time)
2.4% increase in performance for degressive stats when 75%->80% (degressive stats are an 1/x function)
2.1% increase in performance for degressive stats when 100%->105% (so they are obviously non-linear)

Which IMHO is more important than an extra 10m view range, when I'm 2m off the cap already (yes, I know it helps with camo) which on a tier 5 light is plenty.

I feel that the extra DPM makes a difference, and a bigger one than the extra view range I could have with vents.

It's rare that I have to push my view range that far, and most heavies will be spotted at ~440m regardless.

If your Chaffee had full camo too, then with vents boosting both your camo and view range, you would get 20m on me when trying to spot each other. In the open.

If I'm in a 25% bush and you are not, I gain over 100m on you.

With that said, I like to use my gun a lot too, which makes my DPM a more relavent stat. If you plan to take a full scouting route, then maxing view range makes sense.

The load-out we choose should reflect our gameplay.

Terrorbunny #34 Posted 28 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21725 battles

The viewrange is already the best of al tier 5 lights on the chaffee, so coated optics and abuse its already dominating viewrange status.

Then rammer and vents and i did have som vstab at 1 point, but the overal benefit on loads of stats given by the vents is prob better.

Bino's and camo do help when learning to play the tank and getting the feel for the tank from a safe distance, but after a buch of practise games, i rather have some 100% of the time working equipment.

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #35 Posted 29 March 2016 - 08:36 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostTerrorbunny, on 28 March 2016 - 02:14 PM, said:

The viewrange is already the best of al tier 5 lights on the chaffee, so coated optics and abuse its already dominating viewrange status.

Then rammer and vents and i did have som vstab at 1 point, but the overal benefit on loads of stats given by the vents is prob better.

Bino's and camo do help when learning to play the tank and getting the feel for the tank from a safe distance, but after a buch of practise games, i rather have some 100% of the time working equipment.

Bino's and camonet help when you can't afford anything else. (When I'm out of credits but have a new tank, I use repair box and camonet (both can be removed without having to use gold)).

I have a few of those stacked for times of bad economy.

Specially with a crappy crew, you need to play as if you are always spotted.

Attempting to activate (do nothing, be a target etc.) a camonet (takes 3 seconds) and with no 6th sense it is suicide.

Same with binocs. It also takes time to activate (3 seconds). Before you are able to spot the enemy, they have spotted you.

1 fried LT...

Lycopersicon #36 Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:33 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 10878 battles

View PostSpek_en_Bonen, on 29 March 2016 - 09:36 AM, said:

Bino's and camonet help when you can't afford anything else. (When I'm out of credits but have a new tank, I use repair box and camonet (both can be removed without having to use gold)).

I have a few of those stacked for times of bad economy.

Specially with a crappy crew, you need to play as if you are always spotted.

Attempting to activate (do nothing, be a target etc.) a camonet (takes 3 seconds) and with no 6th sense it is suicide.

Same with binocs. It also takes time to activate (3 seconds). Before you are able to spot the enemy, they have spotted you.

1 fried LT...

Well, binos make sense even under the "always spotted" assumption - you only need to stop for about four seconds to get the spots, and if you don't do it in an obvious place, nobody should be able to shoot you so quickly. Still not a good choice for Chaffee imho, or for any tank that likes to run around a lot. I fully agree about camo net - without reasonable chances to actually remain unspotted when moving into place (i.e. without active camo net), it is just one wasted equipment slot. Imo camo net is only good for TDs, and as a throw-in equipment piece for our temporary tanks that we don't want to equip properly.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 29 March 2016 - 10:34 AM.

Baldrickk #37 Posted 29 March 2016 - 05:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
One of the best bits of equipment for new crews is still the Mk1 Eyeball.
Watch spotted enemy tanks, if they turn their guns to you assume you are spotted and scarper.

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #38 Posted 30 March 2016 - 08:17 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostBaldrickk, on 29 March 2016 - 05:47 PM, said:

One of the best bits of equipment for new crews is still the Mk1 Eyeball.
Watch spotted enemy tanks, if they turn their guns to you assume you are spotted and scarper.

Some people don't need equipment....they play for fun.

No seriously Baldrick that was a rather useless option (Mk1 Eyeball), since we were talking equipment for a specific tank.

You talk about skill. Different story, different chapter.

But thanks for your input.

yaourti #39 Posted 30 March 2016 - 10:55 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 5964 battles
  • [DUMBA] DUMBA
I use vents, vert stab and optics on mine.

Baldrickk #40 Posted 30 March 2016 - 01:08 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 32165 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostSpek_en_Bonen, on 30 March 2016 - 08:17 AM, said:

Some people don't need equipment....they play for fun.

No seriously Baldrick that was a rather useless option (Mk1 Eyeball), since we were talking equipment for a specific tank.

You talk about skill. Different story, different chapter.

But thanks for your input.

It was meant as a reply to the post saying that binocs and camo net are not useful because without 6th sense, you don't know if you are spotted, and you have to sit still to use them.

I was trying to say that they are feasable, because you can use skill to mitigate the downsides.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users