AMX-30 Pt. and AMX-30B

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

____prophet____ #61 Posted 23 April 2016 - 02:50 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

I see many people are struggling with these tanks. I think it is because they require a different playstyle from "more normal" high tier mediums. Despite their accurate and strong guns pure sniping will lose you a lot of games because WoT simply doesn't have maps for that anymore (or good scout players if it is indeed an open map). With any and every high tier tank you have to be able to do early damage as well as late damage in order to win.

I'm slowly getting better at the AMX 30 Proto and I will say that it's currently my very favourite tank in the game. I feel the best playstyle for this tank (and also the 30B) is active support. You don't need armor if you have awareness. But you need to support your allies right away when the game starts or you will lose too many team mates while waiting for sniping opportunities. With 30 Proto I'm now winning a lot more than I did at 200 or 300 games played. With the 30B on the other hand I have had horrific match making for my first set of games but I know the same play style will fit the 30B as well, since the tanks are so similar anyway.

I will include a replay that I think highlights the "active support" role. The game results alone are nothing special, but you can see how it is possible to do respectable damage with these tanks and not get shot even when you play close up to the enemies. To play the 30 Proto and 30B well, you need very good map awareness and situational awareness, much more so than with more traditional high tier mediums. And this makes the skill threshold high which makes many people struggle along with the fact that you need a special play style for these tanks. Use your speed to always be there for any team mates who are struggling and relocate to the important locations quickly. Know when to push and when to retreat. Support those players who are reading the game correctly instead of those who do the usual, less intelligent choices. And so on.

Anyway, here is my replay. One shot total fired at me, 5700 dmg done. Whenever there is a team mate to support, the AMX 30s can be surprisingly strong.

http://wotreplays.com/site/2638982

Edited by alisuorittaja, 23 April 2016 - 02:56 PM.

affie #62 Posted 29 April 2016 - 03:25 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19532 battles

View Postalisuorittaja, on 23 April 2016 - 02:50 PM, said:

I see many people are struggling with these tanks. I think it is because they require a different playstyle from "more normal" high tier mediums. Despite their accurate and strong guns pure sniping will lose you a lot of games because WoT simply doesn't have maps for that anymore (or good scout players if it is indeed an open map). With any and every high tier tank you have to be able to do early damage as well as late damage in order to win.

I read that you mean this doesn't play as other high tier mediums, but how does it compare/differ to them?

I ask due to the fact I don't know if it is worth buying or not since I feel that most 105 L7-tanks play more or less the same type of game. I have T-54, Bat-Chat and Centurion Action X in garage as high tier mediums and if AMX and Cent AX is to similar I can't motivate myself to grind that line (similar to why I gave up Chinese mediums).

So to make it short, is the AMX 30p worth buying or is just a worse copy of Cent AX with similar playstyle?

____prophet____ #63 Posted 03 May 2016 - 01:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

I have now played ~50 games in the AMX 30B and over 600 games in the AMX 30 Proto. The Proto feels, tier to tier, much stronger than the 30B. I am also surprised how different they are in the end.

I can say that the 30 Proto is very strong indeed. I would go as far as to say it is probably one of the strongest tier 9s overall. The defining feature is speed. The 30 Proto is really fast, especially once you have off-road driving, clutch braking, vents and BiA. I haven't played the Leopard PTA but other than that there's nothing as fast on tier 9. The 30 Proto can keep up with a Batchat pretty well. People think the 30P is a sniper, but that is not the main strength; speed is. Yes you can snipe but you will do much better if you utilize that speed to pop up from unexpected places and switch flanks more quickly than anyone can expect. Traverse speed is nothing special, but you have so many new tools available when you can go so quickly from one point to another. The gun is obviously very strong also. You just have to have the mindset that you can't snap shot like an Object 140. Gun handling is much worse on the 30P than on the 30B, but it's still quite nice for the tier. Evading shots is easy because you are so fast. The gun hits hard and you can even trade with lower tier heavies with your 390 alpha. The 30P is the ultimate support tank. The armor you cannot rely on, but it can sometimes give you surprise bounces. 

The 30B is noticeably slower than the 30P. The extra weight and worse ground resistance values really show. The difference in speed requires a different playstyle. Shots you would evade in the 30P will likely hit you in your 30B. Traverse speed is much better though, which kind of makes the 30B more of a traditional medium tank. Gun handling is much much better and so is fully aimed accuracy. When you consider the slower acceleration and more accurate gun of the 30B, it seems to be more of a sniper than the 30P. You can still do many of the same things as in the 30P, just adjust to the fact it will take longer for you to reach higher speeds. So I think the bottom line is the 30B is all about the gun, which is really very good gun. But the 30P has more flexibility. The 30B relies more on the team so in that respect is even more of a support tank. Honestly speaking, with the current meta the 30B isn't all that good overall. On open maps it can shine, but in most occasions nearly any other tier 10 medium would be better. I personally ground the line for the 30P which I'm very happy with. The 30B is nice, but not very competitive. Armor-wise, the 30B is exactly the same as the 30P, expect that the 30B has a freaking huge cupola, which effectively makes it very difficult to safely poke ridges. Add to that the fact that the 30P armor actually works against some tier 7 tanks, we will conclude that the 30P armor can be trollish and save you sometimes, but the 30B must be treated like pure paper.

Comparing the 30P against other tier 9s. The combination of that speed and gun, I don't see it having much competition. Sure it doesn't have armor like the T-54 does, but it's faster and has a much better gun overall. I do more damage per game in my 30P than in my T-54. All the "unarmored" tier 9 meds are slower than the 30P. The Leo PTA could be close in speed, but gets ammoracked every time it's hit so there's no point in playing the Leo P(I)TA.

Comparing the 30B against other tier 10s. The gun is great, but everything else is mediocre. It's not really like the Cent AX, which has some armor on top of that mobility and gun. The only thing it can be really compared to is the Leo 1. Some say it's the better of the two because it doesn't suffer from as much module damage as the Leo does. Otherwise they are very similar. I haven't played the Leo though, but I have seen many reviews and comparisons. The 30B I think is a tank that great players can do very well in. But us lesser players will find that we'd rather be in any other tank, apart from sniping work at which the 30B is great. It still has a good combination of speed and gun performance, but for the tier it feels outclassed nearly all the time. I have the Object 140 and the Cent AX that I can compare it to, and to me it feels like both of these are much stronger than the 30B. If you have a competent team, the 30B can sometimes be even stronger than the AX, when the pin point accuracy of the gun is needed. But on all other counts the AX is better, even as it has as much speed under most circumstances. And the Object 140 improves on the T-54 so much that you can't even compare that with how the 30B "improves" on the 30P. 

To this point my DPG is higher in my 30P than in my 30B. But once MM anomalies get even, I will report back. I have been suffering from bad teams in my 30B so that can mix things up a bit.

Edited by alisuorittaja, 03 May 2016 - 01:09 PM.

affie #64 Posted 03 May 2016 - 10:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 19532 battles

View Postalisuorittaja, on 03 May 2016 - 01:06 PM, said:

... I can say that the 30 Proto is very strong indeed. I would go as far as to say it is probably one of the strongest tier 9s overall. The defining feature is speed...

... Comparing the 30P against other tier 9s. The combination of that speed and gun, I don't see it having much competition. Sure it doesn't have armor like the T-54 does, but it's faster and has a much better gun overall. I do more damage per game in my 30P than in my T-54. All the "unarmored" tier 9 meds are slower than the 30P. The Leo PTA could be close in speed, but gets ammoracked every time it's hit so there's no point in playing the Leo P(I)TA....

... I have the Object 140 and the Cent AX that I can compare it to, and to me it feels like both of these are much stronger than the 30B. If you have a competent team, the 30B can sometimes be even stronger than the AX, when the pin point accuracy of the gun is needed. But on all other counts the AX is better, even as it has as much speed under most circumstances. And the Object 140 improves on the T-54 so much that you can't even compare that with how the 30B "improves" on the 30P...

Since you have the Object 140 and Cent AX I guess you consider the AMX 30p play so different from the Cent AX that it is worth to have in your garage? (Sort of like having Object 140 and T-54 in garage and you only play one of them cause Object 140 obviously is better and they have very similar playstyle, that is what I am afraid of with the L7-tanks.)

Since you say speed is what makes the AMX 30p, could you say it is sort of like an M41 Walker Bulldog with an L7 strapped on to its turret, i.e. a rather fat light tank in its playstyle?

Off topic:

Hasn´t bothered buying the Object 140 yet since I like the T-54 so much and I am short on credits to afford them both, but your recommendation is to sell T-54 and buy my already unlocked Object 140, right?

____prophet____ #65 Posted 03 May 2016 - 11:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

I guess that I often do play the 30 Proto kind of like I would play a tier 8 light with a big gun. But it's so versatile; against lower tiers you can just bully and then you even have functional armor. You can even assume the role of a bush TD if needed. The things it doesn't do well is trading shots because the gun handling isn't *THAT* great, but against softly armored targets you can snap shot a lot if not at high speed. Against tier 10s you do need to take care not to get hit. On city maps it can struggle somewhat as it really does not bounce anything unless on a ridgeline. So corridors are bad because you don't have real armor and your gun takes a while to aim unlike a Russian medium gun. If I had to put into one sentence what my optimum 30 Proto playstyle is, it would call it a ninja assasin :) You can stealth snipe, but you can also hit the flanks hard and quickly run away to seek a new opportunity.

As for the Cent AX vs. 30B; I really don't see them that similar at all. The Cent is a hill fighter, the 30B is a sniper/flanker. In the 30B you always have to be extra careful, while the Cent AX can brawl if necessery. But I'm not an expert on the 30B yet, it does seem to be somewhat different from the 30P. And often the Proto is easier to play because top tier it's almost OP, and when in a tier 10 game you can just become an extra tier 10 medium for your team. The 30B however takes a tier 10 medium spot in your team's lineup, but it can't really fulfill that role so well. So your team can end up being semi-short of a tier 10 medium; you will have to play pure support and only go aggressive when enemies are alone / very low HP.

Edited by alisuorittaja, 07 May 2016 - 12:11 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users