Jump to content


► M56 Scorpion Review - New Tier 7 Premium Tank Destroyer


  • Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

M1tchy #61 Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:35 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 37806 battles
  • 2,743
  • Member since:
    04-19-2012

Probably my best battle so far, just because I thought we had lost. Good work by the T-44 and M53/55 as well. It was pretty nerve wracking, wondering if I could win this.

 

http://wotreplays.com/site/2211653#himmelsdorf-m1tchy-m56_scorpion

 

 

 



Rosetta_and_Philae #62 Posted 25 October 2015 - 06:15 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 53271 battles
  • 2,241
  • [FXIS] FXIS
  • Member since:
    06-14-2011
Just a bad as that German tier 8 thingy that was badly implemented.

Edited by BismarcKriegsmarinePride, 25 October 2015 - 06:19 PM.


UnluckySnake #63 Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:26 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 1393 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    09-01-2015
Where is the marks of excellence??? Vechile already 3 monthes in the game!

M1tchy #64 Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:27 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 37806 battles
  • 2,743
  • Member since:
    04-19-2012

Ace Tanker and Top Gun in same battle. 2262 damage.

 

http://wotreplays.com/site/2325922#sacred_valley-m1tchy-m56_scorpion

 

 



matsc #65 Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 33724 battles
  • 195
  • [K_0] K_0
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

I've only played 3 battles in it so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

 

I play it like my Jagdpanther and it works.

Jagdpanther -armor +mobility +better gun (45 degree left to right, 10 degree depression and fast aim time and better penetration)

 

You need a good crew and you need to know how to abuse the bush ;).

If you are spotted you are the derp tanks wet dream so always have some kind of cover nearby.

It is very mobile for a TD, 40+ km/h is no problem keeping up. It is very sluggish turning and reversing though.

The gun is easy to use due to the great depression and left to right arc and have very good penetration.

Like all unarmored TDs with turrets you are at the mercy of the map rotation and that is the biggest drawback with this tank.

 

I enjoyed playing it and I recommend the tank but not the price.



azakow #66 Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:24 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 84925 battles
  • 5,202
  • Member since:
    05-23-2011

I bought myself  new toy for the end of year season.

To make it short: I love it.

 

 


Edited by azakow, 18 December 2015 - 04:58 PM.


kaceytron_twitchTV #67 Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:49 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 34341 battles
  • 2,231
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    01-14-2015

I bought it too. Not because it's a great vehicle but because it looked unique and challenging enough. Still learning though, never specialized on turretless TDs. I like to play it and it should teach me a thing or two.

 

One thing I dislike are the really bad dispersion values. The effective aiming time is very long and half-aimed shots rarely hit. It should get a bit better when I get Smooth Ride and Snap shot.

 

Azakow, what equipment you use on yours? I would like the aim time buff but feel somewhat forced to carry Binocs, Camo and faster reload.



azakow #68 Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 84925 battles
  • 5,202
  • Member since:
    05-23-2011

View PostPer_Saukko_EU, on 17 December 2015 - 06:49 PM, said:

I bought it too. Not because it's a great vehicle but because it looked unique and challenging enough. Still learning though, never specialized on turretless TDs. I like to play it and it should teach me a thing or two.

 

One thing I dislike are the really bad dispersion values. The effective aiming time is very long and half-aimed shots rarely hit. It should get a bit better when I get Smooth Ride and Snap shot.

 

Azakow, what equipment you use on yours? I would like the aim time buff but feel somewhat forced to carry Binocs, Camo and faster reload.

I mounted a GLD to counter aimtime a bit, still dispersion at long ranges feels different than on paper.

Here my setup:

Spoiler

 

 



VeryRisky #69 Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 18637 battles
  • 8,891
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-11-2012

I'm very happy with my purchase.   My stats with it don't match Azakow's  of course but it's probably the single tank in my garage with which I am doing the best atm,

 

Crew is from the T40 as the T95 girls are all repair and no camo:

 Commander  Brothers in Arms  Sixth Sense  Camouflage, 89%
 Gunner  Brothers in Arms  Deadeye  Camouflage, 89%
 Driver  Brothers in Arms  Camouflage  Clutch Braking, 89%
 Loader  Brothers in Arms  Camouflage  Repairs, 89%

, I'm on the standard TD setup (Rammer, vents, bins) but I might be tempted to go with the PRem consumables route yet as I have a few tanks on cola already and that would max out the reload.

 



kaceytron_twitchTV #70 Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:17 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 34341 battles
  • 2,231
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    01-14-2015

The tank isn't particularly strong. It fits into the metagame really badly. On the other hand I have to polish my skills on this kind of tanks and I am not playing it optimally just yet. Even then I can't see this having a particularly high power level as it is extremely situational. I didn't expect much more but I was hoping the gun would be a little bit better. I bought it as a fun tank to play which it is.

 

I intend to keep playing it as a hipster tank but I can't realistically recommend it to anyone looking for an efficient vehicle. The power level is far below of that of something like IS-2. It should not be bought to win games or to do the maximum damage. It can however be recommended to players who like to drive awkward, challenging vehicles. This thing is something completely different from any tank of the game and I think that regardless of the low power level WG has succeeded in the creation of this tank. It isn't the standard copypaste tank turned into premium but really plays out in a unique way.

 

So put it short: Horrible buy if you want an effective vehicle that wins games and deals lots of damage. Great buy if you want a true hipster tank with unique gameplay. 



solarimplosion #71 Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:35 PM

    Private

  • Player
  • 25498 battles
  • 10
  • Member since:
    01-26-2013

Quality tank, as a premium probably my favourite. Granted if you get caught in the open by the enemy you are one shotted no problem, but the lack of armour and fragility of the tank are far, far outweighed by that beautiful gun. The damage that can be done is outstanding, and what a great moneymaker. I'm a poor to average player but this is my go to tank to make creds and have fun. I love it more than my goldfish!

 



azakow #72 Posted 19 December 2015 - 02:44 PM

    Major General

  • Player
  • 84925 battles
  • 5,202
  • Member since:
    05-23-2011

View PostPer_Saukko_EU, on 19 December 2015 - 12:17 AM, said:

The tank isn't particularly strong. It fits into the metagame really badly. On the other hand I have to polish my skills on this kind of tanks and I am not playing it optimally just yet. Even then I can't see this having a particularly high power level as it is extremely situational. I didn't expect much more but I was hoping the gun would be a little bit better. I bought it as a fun tank to play which it is.

 

I intend to keep playing it as a hipster tank but I can't realistically recommend it to anyone looking for an efficient vehicle. The power level is far below of that of something like IS-2. It should not be bought to win games or to do the maximum damage. It can however be recommended to players who like to drive awkward, challenging vehicles. This thing is something completely different from any tank of the game and I think that regardless of the low power level WG has succeeded in the creation of this tank. It isn't the standard copypaste tank turned into premium but really plays out in a unique way.

 

So put it short: Horrible buy if you want an effective vehicle that wins games and deals lots of damage. Great buy if you want a true hipster tank with unique gameplay. 

Indeed you need a skilled crew to perform.

But hey, this is a prem US TD with 4 crew, which fits to US TD alot.

The playstyle is very different from the regular US TD, because of no armor.

 

I do not share your view on power level and situational limits.

 

A TD7 with a tier 8 gun and 219mm pene on AP.

What more do you need to be successful?

 

Let me give the answer myself:

Like the 1st rule in real estate, location location location!

 

The location will provide the missing armor and will cut down your silouette, so you will be a hard to hit target.

Any map will provide a location with siutable slopes.

In short: slopes are your natural habitat.

 

Have a look at this sample.

Spoiler

Other maps provide a vast variaty of slopes.

 

I bought this vehicle, because of the challenge it promisses/provides.

This may be a very different reason from many other commanders.

 

It turns out to be less of a challenge overall and to be a good earner with a very good punch.

The main delimiters are:

  • gun handling
  • firing arc

 

View PostVeryRisky, on 18 December 2015 - 07:26 PM, said:

I'm very happy with my purchase.   My stats with it don't match Azakow's  of course but it's probably the single tank in my garage with which I am doing the best atm,

 

Crew is from the T40 as the T95 girls are all repair and no camo:

 Commander  Brothers in Arms  Sixth Sense  Camouflage, 89%
 Gunner  Brothers in Arms  Deadeye  Camouflage, 89%
 Driver  Brothers in Arms  Camouflage  Clutch Braking, 89%
 Loader  Brothers in Arms  Camouflage  Repairs, 89%

, I'm on the standard TD setup (Rammer, vents, bins) but I might be tempted to go with the PRem consumables route yet as I have a few tanks on cola already and that would max out the reload.

 

I would make sure camo is fully trained and maybe adjust the crew training path to accuracy (Snap Shot and Smooth Ride) and some amining patience at the keyboard would bring my (your) hitrate up.

I always opt for BIA the earliest at complete 4th skill.

 

What is your relaod time at BIA and Coke?

I am asking coz mine in the garage is 6,44 seconds.


Edited by azakow, 19 December 2015 - 06:44 PM.


kaceytron_twitchTV #73 Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 34341 battles
  • 2,231
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    01-14-2015

Yes, it earns money and it's a unique vehicle to play. It's just that it does not fit into the current map rotation all too well. In many of the city maps there aren't that many ways to abuse the good camo and have long-range encounters. If something had to be buffed I would vote for the dispersion values so the tank could hit an occasional snap shot and the effective aiming time would be better. Right now the issue is that in many maps you don't get many spots where you remain stealthy and have several seconds to aim.

 

The good news is that the penetration and hard accuracy are good. If you actually get to take aimed shots, you can generally damage anything you run into. The camo after shot is also pretty good, even if it's not E25 quality. The turret with -10 gun depression is also a nice addition, although I feel the tank could use it more with a better effective aiming time.

 

I have aced the tank twice in tier 9 battles, but I needed some help from the map rotation. In open maps the tank is fantastic as it is sneaky, somewhat fast and retains the camo pretty well. The hard part is when you roll a tier 8 Himmelsdorf or Stalingrad, or you just get a team that just wants to go to the locations of the map where you don't have time to aim your shots.

 

I do admit I still have to learn the tank better. I have never really specialized on vehicles like this which I bought it. Even then it is very difficult to imagine it would perform anywhere near the level of something like IS-2 which was just available for a lower price. Don't get me wrong - I am happy with my purchase. I am just being realistic here. The metagame has changed and in many cases even snipy tanks need to do more than sit back and shoot from stealth.



M1tchy #74 Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:31 PM

    Major

  • Player
  • 37806 battles
  • 2,743
  • Member since:
    04-19-2012
I have used it reasonably well in city maps, but have to find a good spot, or use its speed to pop round a corner and hit the enemy at close range so no need to wait to aim. The low profile does help, but its always the gun that gets damaged.

VeryRisky #75 Posted 21 December 2015 - 01:54 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 18637 battles
  • 8,891
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-11-2012

View Postazakow, on 19 December 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

 

I would make sure camo is fully trained and maybe adjust the crew training path to accuracy (Snap Shot and Smooth Ride) and some amining patience at the keyboard would bring my (your) hitrate up.

I always opt for BIA the earliest at complete 4th skill.

 

What is your relaod time at BIA and Coke?

I am asking coz mine in the garage is 6,44 seconds.

 

6.3 if I add coke, which I may do.

 

What I can't face is using Large repair kits as every hit damages the gun which you do want to repair instantly so it gets expensive.   I'm almost tempted to run more than one small kit!.

 

Oh and stats at 50 -all solo so far   My damage has dropped off over the last two nights so I need to make an effort to get it up, but i's still doing well compared to by Tier 7 and 8 US TDs.

I think it may well do very well platooned as it can provide accurate support fire from range.


Edited by VeryRisky, 21 December 2015 - 01:55 AM.


kaceytron_twitchTV #76 Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:39 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 34341 battles
  • 2,231
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    01-14-2015

And yeah, now that consumables are in discount buy yourself a huge pile of Cola just for this tank. The better gun performance is needed in this vehicle.

 

To me Fire Extinguisher seems bad for this tank. If you catch fire your modules and crew are going to be too dead(if the fire tick didn't kill you) and generally the tank is doomed if it gets shot at. I have burned to death twice but the games would have probably been ruined by the module damage anyway.

 

I mean, I would happily carry an extinguisher. The Cola just seems better.


Edited by Per_Saukko_EU, 21 December 2015 - 02:40 AM.


VeryRisky #77 Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:49 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 18637 battles
  • 8,891
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-11-2012
US tanks mostly don't spend a lot of time on fire, for example I use fuel in the third slot with the T1 HT.   I was just saving on the cola and it's another 10k per battle and that would be half a million so far.   However I probably should as I'm enjoying the tank.

Edited by VeryRisky, 21 December 2015 - 09:49 AM.


kaceytron_twitchTV #78 Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

    Captain

  • Player
  • 34341 battles
  • 2,231
  • [-UM] -UM
  • Member since:
    01-14-2015
This thing catches fire relatively easily because of the 1mm armor. Even then the Scorpion is a tank that is as good as dead as soon as it receives 1-2 shots. Better just build around the reality that you are dead if you are shot at(that won't change with anything) and try to improve the performance on situations when the Scorpion is still useful.

VeryRisky #79 Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:46 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 18637 battles
  • 8,891
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    10-11-2012

View PostPer_Saukko_EU, on 21 December 2015 - 09:29 AM, said:

This thing catches fire relatively easily because of the 1mm armor. Even then the Scorpion is a tank that is as good as dead as soon as it receives 1-2 shots. Better just build around the reality that you are dead if you are shot at(that won't change with anything) and try to improve the performance on situations when the Scorpion is still useful.

 

Sure.   I actually use cola on the T95 which is prone to fire, but only when shot in the rump, by which time your are 90% likely stuffed in any case.



p6kk #80 Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 26820 battles
  • 769
  • Member since:
    05-15-2015
 
At the beginning , it was good but the WG is tank nerf her away now , and he is a very bad machine.
 
do not buy premium tanks, WG steals your behind

Edited by p6kk, 26 December 2015 - 03:46 PM.





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users