Best guns on each light tank?

Anti-scout vs Raider

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Poll: Light tank guns (20 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

What gun do you use on the Luchs?

1. 5cm (5 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. 3cm (15 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

What gun do you use on the Leopard?

1. 5cm (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. 3cm (16 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

What gun do you use on the VK 2801?

1. 105mm (17 votes [85.00%])

Percentage of vote: 85.00%

2. 75mm (3 votes [15.00%])

Percentage of vote: 15.00%

What gun do you use on the Awful Panther?

1. 105mm (4 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. 75mm (16 votes [80.00%])

Percentage of vote: 80.00%

Vote Hide poll

Astalano #1 Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:13 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24412 battles

I've been playing light tanks, ladies and gentlemen. Glorious little toy tanks that break as soon as they're sneezed on, but pretty fun nonetheless.

One of my big issues when deciding how to play these little monsters is choosing what gun to use. A consistent theme has been popping up lately with the resurgence of light tanks. No longer are light tanks just harmless scouts. They're dangerous, they're fast and they're everywhere. However, Wargaming across almost every tier of light tank gives us a very stark choice:

Do you want harass the enemy mediums and heavies or do you want to be able to counter the enemy scouts?

Do you want to be a raider or an anti-scout? 

I consistently switch back and forth between most of the light tanks, trying to find out which I like best. Needless to say, I don't expect to make money with any of the guns. They all require some degree of premium ammunition to be fully effective, some more than others. 

So, I wanted to also get everyone's input on how they like to play their light tanks. I'll post what I use for each light tank up to the Awful Panther and why I use that gun. 

Luchs: 50mm L/60. 

I use the L/60 for the Luchs because the L/60 has great premium ammo. About double the regular penetration. You go from 67 to 130mm of penetration, so you can deal damage to almost anything you face. I use the Luchs like a very fast attack tank that can destroy enemy scouts and effectively damage anything else. I don't use the 3cm because it's not consistent. You get a few very innacurate bursts and an insanely long reload. Your anti-scout capability is virtually non-existent with the 3cm on the Luchs and that's the key issue with this gun for me. The most dangerous enemy for a light tank is another light tank. I'm usually at the front, consistently moving and spotting with coated optics, very next to the enemy scouts. I don't always have the support of the team though. When lights make risky rushes against you or when you have to start exploiting gaps in the mid-late game, the 3cm becomes a liability. If you get rushed by a tank as fast as you you better pray, because unless you can kill him with one clip you are dead. The 5cm gives you the flexibility to be reasonably effective against all enemies without needing to rely on teammates all the time to cover you while you reload. It's also much better on the move.

Leopard: 3cm

The leopard is one tier higher and faces more dangerous enemies, but it gets a better 3cm than the Luchs does, with more damage output. I find I have to play the Leopard slightly more conservatively, since it's bigger, more sluggish and faces more dangerous opponents. So I generally play it like a raider. Go in quick, let off a big clip and back off to the safety of teammates. The 5cm is still USABLE, but it's outclassed at this tier. I find the 3cm to still be pretty inconsistent and very risky to use effectively, but it's the best of two bad options. 

VK 2801: 75mm

Very similar reasoning in comparison to the Luchs. I want a consistent light tank that can deal with dangerous tanks like the T37, T21 and higher tier light tanks as well, like the Bulldog and T71. Once the light tanks are less of a threat, you can start harassing the enemy with regular and premium ammo. However, I find the 105mm to still be a great fit for this tank, unlike the 3cm on the Luchs. The 105 is great because you can counter-scout with it a lot more effectively than with the 3cm on the Luchs at its tier. Also decent on the move.

Awful Panther: 75mm

105mm shows its age at tier 7. I play the Aufkl like a light medium, getting spots when I can, sticking close to the team and using regular and premium ammo to harass enemies. When I get the chance, the 75mm can do horrendous amounts of damage to enemies that are already engaged with something else. It's also excellent for countering scouts and more impressively, it's great on the move. For a light tank even the chance at hitting on the move is a godsend and the 75mm on the Panther allows you to do this extremely effectively, more so than any other light tank in the tech tree. Auto aim is your best friend in this tank and you will rack up tremendous amounts of damage by taking sneaky shots around corners and on the move with auto aim. The penetration with premium ammo lets you penetrate the sides of certain tier 10 heavies if you know where to aim, like the IS7. 

Edited by Astalano, 30 March 2015 - 05:24 PM.

Obsessive_Compulsive #2 Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

General

• Player
  • 28747 battles

on each german light tank***

:)

Tazilon #3 Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:47 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles

a)  You forgot the Pz38nA, the "other" German scout.

b)  The 5cm works on the Leopard if you can afford premium ammo for it and gives you more game play options than does the close-in-only 3cm.  You can do well with either gun.

c)  ALWAYS use the 105 (and HE) on a VK 28.01.  ALWAYS.  If you use the 75mm you are gimping yourself horribly.

d) Use the 105 on the Auf P until you can afford to mount the Waffe, then use it.

e) You don't get a gun choice on the Ru 251, its the 90mm. 

Edited by Tazilon, 30 March 2015 - 06:51 PM.

Astalano #4 Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 24412 battles

View PostTazilon, on 30 March 2015 - 06:47 PM, said:

a)  You forgot the Pz38nA, the "other" German scout.

b)  The 5cm works on the Leopard if you can afford premium ammo for it and gives you more game play options than does the close-in-only 3cm.  You can do well with either gun.

c)  ALWAYS use the 105 (and HE) on a VK 28.01.  ALWAYS.  If you use the 75mm you are gimping yourself horribly.

d) Use the 105 on the Auf P until you can afford to mount the Waffe, then use it.

e) You don't get a gun choice on the Ru 251, its the 90mm. 

a) I don't think I've played it since 2013. Is it any good now?

b) I generally do better with the 3cm on the leopard, experimented for a while between the two but figure that it's more relevant at that tier spread than the 5cm. Plus, it's super expensive since you pretty much have to use far more premium ammo than on the luchs.

c) Meh. I tried both. I'm more consistent with the 75mm. Switch back and forth between the two, but I think I'm slightly more effective with the 75. Probably the effect of playing the Aufkl and applying its tactics to the 2801. 

d) Agreed.

e) Yep.

Tazilon #5 Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles

View PostAstalano, on 30 March 2015 - 06:07 PM, said:

a) I don't think I've played it since 2013. Is it any good now?

b) I generally do better with the 3cm on the leopard, experimented for a while between the two but figure that it's more relevant at that tier spread than the 5cm. Plus, it's super expensive since you pretty much have to use far more premium ammo than on the luchs.

c) Meh. I tried both. I'm more consistent with the 75mm. Switch back and forth between the two, but I think I'm slightly more effective with the 75. Probably the effect of playing the Aufkl and applying its tactics to the 2801. 

d) Agreed.

e) Yep.

The Pz38nA is one of the best kept secrets in WOT.

armholeeio #6 Posted 31 March 2015 - 05:24 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17742 battles
Pnz 2 g with the 3cm rocks

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users