Is there a point joining a clan as a casual?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

beesod #1 Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:45 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4351 battles

A friend of mine occasionally play together and wondered if there was any advantage to being in a clan. We are OKish players, but don't really want to have to join a voice server or anything like that, we just skype and play as a platoon together.

I heard of strongholds that give gains like extra free experience, but do guilds who don't have any requirement for getting on voice chat, or geared towards casual players have any benefits at all? 

Thanks for any answers!

war4peace #2 Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:47 PM

Colonel

• Translator
  • 26794 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Yes.

Both SPIKE and RADIO are that way. And fairly successful to boot.

SPIKE is full but RADIOis wide open. Apply and we'll take you in!

beesod #3 Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4351 battles
Thanks for the reply, but what advantages are there in joining the guild? We don't really give anything back, just wondered if there was a point to be in a guild?

Somnorila #4 Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:55 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 55678 battles
  • [4-YOU] 4-YOU

The point of a clan may that be just for platooning and randoms or more competitive for CW, 7v7, events and so on is to play together and socialize so i don't think that there is a clan where voice chat is not at least suggested. So if you don't intend in communicating with other players than your friend you currently platoon sometimes then seeking for a clan seems not to be something for you, at least for now that is. But if you want to have some cool emblem you can always make a clan yourself just for you and your friend, no one is stopping you to have a clan with only two players.  

Well starting clans are more for finding platoon mates easier and learn about the game from others experiences, you always can learn for yourself but having someone to ask one or the other is more convenient. Later on it is about honing your skills for acting in a team and enriching your game experience also the prizes from missions and events are not that bad either.

Edited by Somnorila, 07 April 2015 - 10:06 PM.

psykit #5 Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19386 battles
  • [KBO] KBO

Somnorila's got it in one. I encourage my clan members to platoon with as many others as possible. Not only does it help you as far as learning from others, it also allows you to get to know the guys you're playing with. And the banter on our teamspeak server is always great.

If you'd only be interested in platooning up with your mate and not socializing with other clan members/playing occasional TB/SH/CW etc, I really don't see how being in a clan would benefit you.

war4peace #6 Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:32 AM

Colonel

• Translator
  • 26794 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postbeesod, on 07 April 2015 - 10:49 PM, said:

Thanks for the reply, but what advantages are there in joining the guild? We don't really give anything back, just wondered if there was a point to be in a guild?

Socializing, for starters. Ask clan mates about various tank trees, learn from their experience, talk about things in-game or simply random stuff. Sometimes we start talking about tanks and before soon we philosophise or talk about movies, space travel, girls or whether pink horses exist in reality :)

There's a difference between not thinking that you give anything back and not wanting to give anything back. Some people play WoT like it's a single player game with bots, they indeed don't belong in a clan because they will never socialize, and it's their right, no judgment. But if you simply want to socialize every now and then, you should join a casual clan.

beesod #7 Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:19 AM

Private

• Player
  • 4351 battles

Thanks for the reply. As it stands we don't play the game seriously enough to join a clan, but who knows, it may change.

I was wondering if there were any perks like extra experience for example. Thanks again.

Ozymandias #8 Posted 20 April 2015 - 12:58 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 30315 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

The perks are mostly social. You get to find toon mates far more easily and you have the advantage of having easy access to advice and maybe tutelage from players with more experience (and perhaps better too, depending on what type of clan you join). Plus game modes such as SH and potentially CW are only accessible to members of clans.

Practical rewards (monetary or experience ones) can only take place if your clan has gotten into SH mode and has access to bonuses brought in by that mode. To be honest however, unless you are part of one of the few clans that have their SH raised to very high levels and have the members and activity level to maintain it, the bonuses are not really earth shattering.

CW of course provides bonuses depending on how many provinces your clan hols but it's very time-intensive if you really want to get into it.

Edited by Ozymandias, 20 April 2015 - 12:59 AM.

beesod #9 Posted 24 April 2015 - 07:27 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4351 battles

View PostOzymandias, on 19 April 2015 - 11:58 PM, said:

The perks are mostly social. You get to find toon mates far more easily and you have the advantage of having easy access to advice and maybe tutelage from players with more experience (and perhaps better too, depending on what type of clan you join). Plus game modes such as SH and potentially CW are only accessible to members of clans.

Practical rewards (monetary or experience ones) can only take place if your clan has gotten into SH mode and has access to bonuses brought in by that mode. To be honest however, unless you are part of one of the few clans that have their SH raised to very high levels and have the members and activity level to maintain it, the bonuses are not really earth shattering.

CW of course provides bonuses depending on how many provinces your clan hols but it's very time-intensive if you really want to get into it.

Thanks, that's what I heard of, some of the bonuses from strongholds, extra free experience or crew experience etc.

I guess I as wondering If a clan with those bonuses would recruit people who weren't social and didn't intend on joining in on teamspeak?

And how are stronghold bonuses obtained anyway? Why do they need to maintained? I am trying to get a perspective on the advantages a player has from bonuses in a clan.

Ozymandias #10 Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:30 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 30315 battles
  • [SCRUB] SCRUB

Yes, those are some of the bonuses included. To give you a an idea, winning SH games provides something called "Industrial resources" (we call 'em virtual boxes) that can be used to create what is called a "reserve" which depending on its type and the level of the associated building gives you a bonus for the next two hours when it is activated.

Unless the relative bulding is very upgraded, the bonus is mediocre (for example, you might get 8% bonus to Silver-making if you create a reserve from a level 4 financial unit which is not really wow-inducing).

As to the other question, to be honest with you I don't know of a single really good clan that does not require their members to be on TS for competitive modes (SH/TB/CW). A lot don't require TS for toons (we don't; it's optional) but any clan with self respect requires TS for the above modes to ensure coordination.

The main advantage you get from a clan is access to better and more experience players. Especially if they are willing to teach you some stuff. It makes the learning curve of the game less steep. For this reason, learning clans (like SGTA) are a great step for new players. Otherwise it will take you thousands of games to be anything less than wank. Look at me, it only took me 27k games to be slightly less than a complete monkey. I blame it on not knowing about learning clans early on :)

war4peace #11 Posted 25 April 2015 - 11:45 AM

Colonel

• Translator
  • 26794 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View Postbeesod, on 24 April 2015 - 08:27 PM, said:

I guess I as wondering If a clan with those bonuses would recruit people who weren't social and didn't intend on joining in on teamspeak?

View Postwar4peace, on 07 April 2015 - 10:47 PM, said:

Yes.

Both SPIKE and RADIO are that way. And fairly successful to boot.

If you look at SPIKE description, it's exactly what you are looking for.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users