414 replies to this topic

Pansenmann #401 Posted 13 April 2015 - 11:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35643 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Played a bit arty today again,

because of crap laptop that brings only 20 fps with minimum graphics

and tried a bit LeFH and tier 8 frech...

guess what?

My overall WR improved by an astonishing 0.02% :)

Edited by Pansenmann, 13 April 2015 - 11:51 PM.

dyrewolfe #402 Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:24 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 4721 battles

Well, my 2 cents is that arty most definitely IS a problem (apologies in advance to my clanmate Cellaman, who has an unhealthy attachment to his Bishop...and his arty as well :trollface: )

While tooning with him yesterday I got taken out in successive games by:

- a leFH on Serene Coast, while peek-a-booming some enemies in my t67 on the flank where the church is

- a Sturmpanzer on Mines while unspotted on the hill (also T67). I was right in the middle, behind the big central peak. Hadn't damaged any scenery either to give my position away

- an M44 on Murovanka while fighting in the magic forest (VK30.01P)

- a Grille on Airfield - again in my T-67 - while sniping behind some rocks

I'd like to point out both these vehicles have both camo nets and paint jobs for maximum concealment. At no point was I ever stood out in the open. When sniping I make sure I have hard cover or bushes for concealment. When actively fighting, I try to make sure I have hard cover in the form of rocks, buildings or ridges / slopes.

Yet somehow, yesterday, arty conspired to make playing a thoroughly miserable experience. Thanks god days like this aren't very frequent. But even occasionally having arty single you out for special attention, for most of a day, is too much.

The Murovanka game was especially horrible, with 3 arties per side and the enemy raining volleys of shells into the forest, so that you basically didn't know where to go to hide. When you're also trying to fight proper tanks and not get killed by them, the last thing you need to be worrying about is whether the skyclowns have you in their sights too.

Edited by dyrewolfe, 14 April 2015 - 12:27 AM.

Sidney_Snot #403 Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:48 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4876 battles

View PostHedgehog1963, on 13 April 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

Nope.

Didn't read the rest.

You disagreed with my statement that everyone commenting on here believes that arty needs a makeover. (it may need a buff or a further nerf, everyone has an opinion)

You then said you didn't read the rest.

View PostHedgehog1963, on 13 April 2015 - 06:57 PM, said:

I play a lot of LTs and prefer artillery to be in the game when I'm in one.  Why should other players decide whether artillery should be changed?

And it means Snot was wrong from the get-go.

Wrong about what from the get go???

In your first post you already said you didn't read anything other than my initial sentence.

How can you have an opinion about something you haven't even read.

Edited by Sidney_Snot, 14 April 2015 - 03:48 PM.

Sidney_Snot #404 Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4876 battles

View PostSlyspy, on 13 April 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

There are entrenched positions on both sides of the discussion and none of them are worth a damn.

So it is your opinion that no one else's opinion is worth a damn, or have I misunderstood?

Dark_Cloud #405 Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:16 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 18192 battles
  • [SPL1] SPL1

Block Quote

Arty: All reward, no risk.

That's my biggest problem with it.

:facepalm:

[edited]

In case you have at least ONE active working braincell, you do get the point. :)

Edited by Neilloss46, 21 April 2015 - 02:58 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. An official notification has also been sent. Neilloss46

ghost_tiger #406 Posted 14 April 2015 - 06:59 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12793 battles
  • [X_O] X_O

View Postdyrewolfe, on 13 April 2015 - 11:24 PM, said:

Yet somehow, yesterday, arty conspired to make playing a thoroughly miserable experience. Thanks god days like this aren't very frequent. But even occasionally having arty single you out for special attention, for most of a day, is too much.

You're an average player so there is no reason why arty would single you out. You were just at the wrong place at wrong time. If you played arty you would know where it preaims and where not and how they select targets. I bought the mighty TOG 2 recently and as an artilery player get rarely hit by artilery in it.

rikkelt #407 Posted 14 April 2015 - 07:06 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17506 battles
  • [ZIU] ZIU

View Postghost_tiger, on 14 April 2015 - 06:59 PM, said:

You're an average player so there is no reason why arty would single you out. You were just at the wrong place at wrong time. If you played arty you would know where it preaims and where not and how they select targets. I bought the mighty TOG 2 recently and as a rock hugger and bush kemper get rarely hit by artilery in it.

ftfy.

Edited by rikkelt, 14 April 2015 - 07:07 PM.

Sidney_Snot #408 Posted 15 April 2015 - 02:47 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 4876 battles

I don't understand why some spiteful mod moved this thread to the "Off Topic" section, were they bothered that so many people were responding to it?

It certainly is an On Topic discussion as it is a all about perceived or genuine problems with WoT.

who_dares_wins #409 Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3077 battles

View PostHugsAndKisses, on 08 April 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

Arty: All reward, no risk.

That's my biggest problem with it.

Arty: No risk, almost no reward

MonoPeace #410 Posted 17 April 2015 - 01:32 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 40631 battles
  • [HOWI] HOWI

Arty makes people camp -> camping makes you an easier target :)

But ok, in CW there are some astonishing tektiks from low tier clans where they all camp like hell in base. Basically, what it means is - they are ok to go draw. They makes you attack their hulls down defensive positions if you want to at least try to win. So let's think about this. Without arty, those battles are punishing. You basically have to sacrifice tanks and hope, that you will focus them faster than they will focus you.

With arty it makes it easier to reasure them that camping like that is not an option. But that's about organized battles, what about random? In random you are less likely to see camps like that, so, maybe you indeed could play without arty. But in organized battles, like CW, StronKholds and such, arty is part of insurance against def. 
Anyway, IMHO.

Asghaad #411 Posted 17 April 2015 - 02:06 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 14077 battles
  • [PPDCZ] PPDCZ

View PostMonoPeace, on 17 April 2015 - 01:32 PM, said:

Arty makes people camp -> camping makes you an easier target :)

But ok, in CW there are some astonishing tektiks from low tier clans where they all camp like hell in base. Basically, what it means is - they are ok to go draw. They makes you attack their hulls down defensive positions if you want to at least try to win. So let's think about this. Without arty, those battles are punishing. You basically have to sacrifice tanks and hope, that you will focus them faster than they will focus you.

With arty it makes it easier to reasure them that camping like that is not an option. But that's about organized battles, what about random? In random you are less likely to see camps like that, so, maybe you indeed could play without arty. But in organized battles, like CW, StronKholds and such, arty is part of insurance against def. 
Anyway, IMHO.

that just means that maps are badly optimized for team battles - the "just deffend" tactic should be impossible on poperly designed map

Razor1uk #412 Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:02 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 12490 battles
  • [SHYLO] SHYLO

..Yet another thread of some almost extremistly written 'anti-arty because of my ego/poor map design/blah blah reason...'.

As with most most other artillery hate threads, insults, provocations and heavily biased usual characters are allowed to continue, even thought they still play, who sometimes admit to liking arty when it helps them win &/or survive and yet can't grasp the range of humanity is as much bad, ugly, horrible to the great, excellent and beautiful etc, and all inbetween.

TonyM_FIN #413 Posted 13 July 2015 - 08:52 PM

Private

• Player
  • 41445 battles
Arty is not problem. Just learn how to play, easy.

vonpaulus73 #414 Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 12608 battles
  • [-FCR-] -FCR-

I am not an arty player at all. I like to play mediums mostly, but when I get bored I will switch to my light tanks. I think arty should definately be part of the game, if for no other reason than being food for my light tanks that couldnt otherwise penetrate anything other than my great grandmothers crisp packet. Arty players, click away fellas, I know where your pre-aim points are, I always keep moving but never in a straight enough line for you to bother risking one of your precious gold shells. I laugh in your face as I circle you, loosing off a shot now and then, and watching helplessly trying to turn and get a shot off at me, sometimes i'll give you a quick kill, sometimes i'll take out your crew and modules with HEAT, for fun, then go get your mates, who by now have tried to switch flanks, leaving you all alone and helpless. 

Arty haters, look on the bright side, if you can play the game you shouldnt get hit, and if you have the sense to remain alive, your sweet revenge awaits you at the end of the rainbow.

Arty lovers, thanks for all that lovely XP. Happy hunting.

redbaron61 #415 Posted 27 May 2017 - 09:41 PM

Private

• Player
  • 19842 battles

They should have a system where players can choose to play WOT with no arty in their games. I would definitely choose no arty . Totally do not see the point of it , its not tanks and it has no skill basis. The best games are the ones with no arty , where you can concentrate on skill and stalking the enemy.

At the very least WOT should give you the option to play arty free games. Those players who like arty can choose to keep it. The rest of us can concentrate on what its actually meant to be about , Tank warfare.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users