Tank Academy: Peek-A-Boo and Hull Down

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 21 April 2015 - 01:29 PM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
A new Tank Academy course is available! Learn how to hide your hull, play with your turret and surprise the enemy with swift jabs from cover!

Full news text

Jaeger_Bomb_Meister #2 Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 2862 battles
Wud been nice & helpfull to list some of the best depression tanks at low tiers.....

Iron_Snake #3 Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:49 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 36246 battles
  • [QSF] QSF
Best depression tanks at lower tiers M2 medium, Japanese T2 light Ha Go, Cruiser Mk. IV even II with first 2 guns. Move from there. Problem with hull down is not so big to counter as u progress through the tiers. German guns are particularly good to land precision shots on those hidden commander cupolas.

Bert_the_Cosh #4 Posted 21 April 2015 - 02:50 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29492 battles
  • [BRT_6] BRT_6

:child:Can we please get away from Baby Language- Peek A Boo! Are you sure? You mean Hull Down don't you? Then say Hull Down and use the correct military term. Grow up you guys for God's sake grow up!:child:If you mean "Side Scrape" Say Side Scrape but what ever it is do not call it Peek A Boo and talk like babes:child:

Foe everything you do in tanks as with every other part/branch of the military in any country, Their is big boys language and so solders prefer military terms! Thank you! Good Luck!:bush:

Edited by ziggybass, 05 January 2016 - 12:12 PM.

Polish_Dzialo #5 Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 21408 battles

View Postziggybass, on 21 April 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

Sorry to disagree, I actually really enjoy whats normally written. But at our clan we would never tell a tanker to do what you suggest.

Your example is NOT Peek a Boo,  Instead call it 'Kill Me Now!' it is suicide and a nice way to let your enemy de track you so his buddy can Peen you!

The right way is to play if as you would all or any building Corners. Bringing your nose tight into the corner, angling your tank at about 3 degrees to the firing line of your enemies tank. Maybe a little more or less depending on your tank, and driving back exposing a side that will now 'Bounce' (at this angle) and you can fire at your enemy 99.9% safe. (Remember arty and enemy flanking you. In our clan we have also learnt that in an IS3 we can actually put our rear behind the corner and pulling forward only exposing a few degrees of flank we fire back over our shoulders, if you can visualise it?. This way your enemy shells always bounce and you can drive away faster this second way if the enemy are building up on you and the typical random team have decided not to support you :facepalm:. This is the True peek a Boo, the same as fighting a corner of a building. This method I was tought in our clan three years ago and it's still taught today.. And Never ever stick your nose or track out to expose the whole front of your tank. That is suicide, and not something experienced tankers do in general (unless your really losing your cool :playing:

Anyway I hope this has not offended anyone as that was not my intention. My stats are very humble! The training classes in our clan have always been fun and with high quality teaching.  :bush:

Good Luck in the game. ziggy.:hiding:

You are describing sidescraping and it is not a peek-a-boo, when they can hit you for most of the time.

Edited by KRISPY_KREME, 21 April 2015 - 03:13 PM.

HeatSeekerGTR #6 Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 14331 battles
  • [SCAMR] SCAMR

View Postziggybass, on 21 April 2015 - 01:50 PM, said:

Sorry to disagree, I actually really enjoy whats normally written. But at our clan we would never tell a tanker to do what you suggest.

Your example is NOT Peek a Boo,  Instead call it 'Kill Me Now!' it is suicide and a nice way to let your enemy de track you so his buddy can Peen you!

http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/pc-browser/academy/tank-academy-armour-angling/

Looks familiar?

Cobra6 #7 Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16320 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Peek-a-boo entails coming out when the enemy is distracted or has just fired. Not in front of a loaded gun, that is called stupid play:teethhappy:

Cobra 6

jagdcommander #8 Posted 21 April 2015 - 04:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 39179 battles

View Postziggybass, on 21 April 2015 - 02:50 PM, said:

The right way is to play if as you would all or any building Corners. Bringing your nose tight into the corner, angling your tank at about 3 degrees to the firing line of your enemies tank. Maybe a little more or less depending on your tank, and driving back exposing a side that will now 'Bounce' (at this angle) and you can fire at your enemy 99.9% safe. (Remember arty and enemy flanking you. In our clan we have also learnt that in an IS3 we can actually put our rear behind the corner and pulling forward only exposing a few degrees of flank we fire back over our shoulders, if you can visualise it?. This way your enemy shells always bounce and you can drive away faster this second way if the enemy are building up on you and the typical random team have decided not to support you :facepalm:. This is the True peek a Boo, the same as fighting a corner of a building. This method I was tought in our clan three years ago and it's still taught today.. And Never ever stick your nose or track out to expose the whole front of your tank. That is suicide, and not something experienced tankers do in general (unless your really losing your cool :playing:

Anyway I hope this has not offended anyone as that was not my intention. My stats are very humble! The training classes in our clan have always been fun and with high quality teaching.  :bush:

Good Luck in the game. ziggy.:hiding:

Yes, they should really have mentioned sidescraping in this article.

Thanks for the tip on 'reverse-sidescraping' in the IS3. I will give that a try.

NotSoUnicum0507 #9 Posted 21 April 2015 - 05:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24498 battles

View PostCobra6, on 21 April 2015 - 03:38 PM, said:

Peek-a-boo entails coming out when the enemy is distracted or has just fired. Not in front of a loaded gun, that is called stupid play:teethhappy:

Cobra 6

I encourage stupid play if it happens at the right end of my gun XD

GrumblingGrenade #10 Posted 21 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 5913 battles

In all honesty, I just felt sorry for that poor, stock Caernarvon, for being at the end of each and every gun demonstrated in the guide...

J0N4S2 #11 Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:12 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 20518 battles
Plot twist: With arty being in the game like it is currently, you even get rekt in the best positions, cause the players sitting in their SPG on the other side of the map, not applying any tactics to this game dont have to give any [edited] about your great positioning. Sadly this makes these well written tank guides useless to some degree....

Bert_the_Cosh #12 Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:55 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29492 battles
  • [BRT_6] BRT_6

View PostKRISPY_KREME, on 21 April 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

You are describing sidescraping and it is not a peek-a-boo, when they can hit you for most of the time.

Sorry Krispy. but your wrong, and over the last couple of years a lot of people have confused the two tactics or at least their names. It depends where you learn these things from. My route of klnowledge comes from the military not War Games. I had a friend in what was the 17/21 Lancers and he introduced me to the term in the 1970's. If you think about it you will see the logic in the names!

It is only, or becomes  "Side Scraping" when you have another team member/tank along side you and you take turns to scrape back and forth taking turns to fire. If your alone as I originaly described you have nothing to scrape against. So it cannot be "Side Scraping" , and becomes what WOT calls Peek a Boo, and you do not Side Scrape the walls/buildings either! It is specific to 2 or more friendly vehicles supporting their positions providing as rapid a fire as possible from one position.

So side scraping requires a minimum of two (2) partnered Tanks, or a platoon to side scrape. Hope this make it clearer now:amazed:. Good Luck in the game .

Flashy231 #13 Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:08 PM

Private

• Player
  • 20153 battles

View Postziggybass, on 22 April 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

Sorry Krispy. but your wrong, and over the last couple of years a lot of people have confused the two tactics or at least their names. It depends where you learn these things from. My route of klnowledge comes from the military not War Games. I had a friend in what was the 17/21 Lancers and he introduced me to the term in the 1970's. If you think about it you will see the logic in the names!

It is only, or becomes  "Side Scraping" when you have another team member/tank along side you and you take turns to scrape back and forth taking turns to fire. If your alone as I originaly described you have nothing to scrape against. So it cannot be "Side Scraping" , and becomes what WOT calls Peek a Boo, and you do not Side Scrape the walls/buildings either! It is specific to 2 or more friendly vehicles supporting their positions providing as rapid a fire as possible from one position.

So side scraping requires a minimum of two (2) partnered Tanks, or a platoon to side scrape. Hope this make it clearer now:amazed:. Good Luck in the game .

Spoiler

Side-scraping is what you described as it is used in WoT, peek-a-boo, as many other have posted is when you need pop out quickly and shoot the enemy, when he has no chance to retaliate, as such it doesn't matter if you use a low armored/unangled part of the tank because he simply won't shoot you. Side-scraping may not be the name best suited to this manouvre but it it is what it is. Unless i misunderstood something....

:trollface:And as always :

Spoiler

Edited by Flashy231, 22 April 2015 - 02:11 PM.

Godjira #14 Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:23 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 40159 battles
SGTA teach sidescraping and peek-a-boo as two separate lessons in our techniques curriculum. The descriptions of these techniques might not be historically accurate, but they are in common usage in the game. I have asked the instructors to expedite scheduling a peek-a-boo lesson.

antal_z #15 Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20703 battles

View Postziggybass, on 22 April 2015 - 11:55 AM, said:

You do understand the manouvers we use in this game, especially in heavy tanks, were not applied in real life? Angling was actually a thing with the germans as far as I know, hulldown is definitely a big thing, but sidescraping and peekabooming were not. The reasons are that real tankies can't put tracks back up in 10 seconds, and that in real life buildings dont stop shells. The coordination required between crewmembers is also far beyond what is possible. Your mate from the Lancers can't possibly give you the names of manouvers that in real life don't actually exist.

rumpage #16 Posted 23 April 2015 - 10:35 AM

Private

• Player
  • 6210 battles
  • [F5] F5

Good writeup. But...

From Article

Vehicles with a very high rate of fire can take their chances landing two shells instead of one before retreating. If you want to try this, you need to have some experience under your belt and be able to assess the potential loading time of the tank in front of you

Or you can use the non-banned (as basically all other mods) that show your opponents reload timer. So much for experience and assessment. 

TomHill #17 Posted 23 April 2015 - 07:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1759 battles
  • [1-DPW] 1-DPW

View PostCommunity, on 21 April 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

A new Tank Academy course is available! Learn how to hide your hull, play with your turret and surprise the enemy with swift jabs from cover!
<a href="http://worldoftanks.eu/en/news/pc-browser/academy/academy-peek-hull-down/">Full news text</a>

[edited]

Please keep your future posts on topic.

Edited by Neilloss46, 23 April 2015 - 08:25 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. Neilloss46

Angel_Arrow #18 Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20198 battles
  • [WOTI] WOTI
When is the next Tank Academy coming? 

Cobra6 #19 Posted 05 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16320 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

1 user(s) are reading this topic