SARL 42 and Renault G1R are crap

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

____prophet____ #1 Posted 29 April 2015 - 12:03 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

I made the mistake of grinding the new French low tier mediums yesterday. These tanks are so bad it makes my head hurt. My win rate is taking a deep dive as I try not do die with zero damage each game.

The SARL 42 has a decent gun - but everything else is terribad. The armor doesn't bounce anything, not even tier 3 shells. The tank is so slow you can't get anywhere in time, so your team will be dead when you take your first shot.

So I got through the terribad SARL 42 with an appalling win rate of 42%, hoping the Renault G1R would be a reward. It isn't, it's at least as bad.

So now you don't have enough pen to damage own-tier heavies, and still you're slow as a heavy? The gun would have nice dpm and soft stats, but you can't shoot at anyone because you die, the tank is too slow to evade anything. The hull armor is actually very nice for the tier, but that doesn't mean anyhting, as every tank you meet can pen your turret easily. Stock turret can bounce, but the you only get a 47mm gun, which is lacking even against tier 4s. Sluggish, no penetration, no working armor, it is crap, pure and simple. Try some tier 7 games in it and find a new level of suffering.

Now I need to figure out another way of training a cew for the AMX CDC :( These mid tier meds are so bad they're completely useless. To think you're supposed to fight T-34s and M4 Shermans in this piece of **** is not even a bad joke, it's worse than that.

____prophet____ #2 Posted 29 April 2015 - 10:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

After some more testing, the Renault G1R, mobility is OK-ish, unless you have to back up. Reversing is a pain - downhill going forwards, the speed is OK.

But the real problem is it's supposed to have armor (which it does, on the hull), but when the turret is so very soft, the hull armor doesn't help.

The 75mm has nice dpm, but penetration is very much lacking. You have to fire APCR to get penetration that matches the M4 Sherman's regular shell.

The 105mm derp gun has noticeably lower pen than the Pz. IV H, and slower fire rate than the Sherman's derp.

Gun depression is not veru good, so you have to show your whole turret to be able to shoot at anyone. The only thing this tank has going for it is its

ability to side scrape. If you're facing same-tier mediums in a corner fight, you can side scrape really well with that 60mm side armor. On those

occasions you can actually use your dpm (but not against heavies, your pen doesn't cut it).

So far I would rate this tank lower than all other tier V mediums. If only it had some turret armor, I would think again. Or more gun depression. Or higher penetration.

So, It might not be a super bad tank per se, but it's worse than all its rivals, so that makes it a rather poor statement as a newly introduced tank.

Edited by alisuorittaja, 29 April 2015 - 10:09 PM.

fyo21 #3 Posted 30 April 2015 - 08:29 AM

Private

• Player
  • 24704 battles

Renault G1 is something that should never be played except once.

• It's not a good medium - it turns like the titanic if you get rushed by anything (even other mediums)
  • It's not a good light - not fast enough and with 350 view range, you better leave that to the M4 (it has 370)
  • It's a decent proto-heavy - sidescrape is viable, but the moment they see the turret you are dead (BDR has better angles and a gun mantle)
  • Perhaps as an spg with le dep, it's ok.

I can only see this as a second line medium, or closer to a turreted TD with some armour

•  reasonably fast
  •  decent gun  (again t-34, chi-nu, pz4, m4  perform better)
  •  *insert something decent about tank...(I keep coming up with bad stuff)
  • looks sweet with the stock turret :child:

Bottom line, it's .... a waste of time. (keep in mind, this is my opinion and your experience with it may vary greatly depending on RNG, matchmaking and the amount of money you throw at the game; my grind from t2-t5 on a standard account, was with no free xp and 75% crew to make it bearable)

____prophet____ #4 Posted 30 April 2015 - 04:20 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles
I would really, rally like to be able to play this with the stock turret - it's very bouncy indeed, and the tank looks really nice with it. Too bad the 47mm gun you're forced to use with it is crap.

Weihrauchhw95 #5 Posted 30 April 2015 - 05:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9288 battles

if it could use derp with stock turret id grind for it but as it is ive decided to leave the french tech tree for now ... 

what moron thought this would be balanced at tier 5? 

____prophet____ #6 Posted 30 April 2015 - 06:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

I hope they won't take three years to buff this tank :)

It's a shame the stock turret isn't viable... What a lovely looking little machine with the stock turret on!

Auerstedt #7 Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:10 AM

Private

• Player
  • 8128 battles
The SARL isn't that bad... makes a decent sniper. Hide and dish it out. 

bigdgrant #8 Posted 01 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1887 battles
Have to disagree,the guns ok but the rest of the tank is shite.Slow,high profile and fugly,

____prophet____ #9 Posted 01 May 2015 - 12:30 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles
And slow tanks AND support tanks are doomed in tier 4 games, because tier 4.. It's the same as with the AMX 40. The very bad teams we get at tier 4 are the reason these tanks are so bad - if you're not able to carry, you lose, lose and lose. You can't support tier 4 players, because they die so damn quickly. Yes The SARL 42 gun is nice, but yu won't be able to use it much before your team is dead. It should have more speed or more armor, to make it as a decent tank.

____prophet____ #10 Posted 04 May 2015 - 12:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles
Renault G1R - there is one redeeming quality. I've played it for ~100 battles now (I simply must get a French medium crew up), and the on thing this tank has going for it is the derp gun shell velocity. The 105mm HE and HEAT shells fly more quickly than on other tier 5 derp guns, and this allows you to hit more moving targets. This quality is not enough to make the tank good, but at least in some occasions it can help you dish out some damage. I've done three +1700 dmg games with the derp gun now, so it's not completely useless. The armor OTOH, is only useful against tier 3, which is a shame because this tank is slower than its rivals, and thus the armor should work better.

Eila_Juutilainen #11 Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:10 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21258 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND

View Postalisuorittaja, on 29 April 2015 - 12:03 PM, said:

Now I need to figure out another way of training a cew for the AMX CDC :( These mid tier meds are so bad they're completely useless. To think you're supposed to fight T-34s and M4 Shermans in this piece of **** is not even a bad joke, it's worse than that.

Have you considered playing the AMX CDC instead? It earns way more Exp.

Eokokok #12 Posted 04 May 2015 - 02:40 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 18612 battles
Training crew for a crew trainer, now this is some next level tactic right here...

____prophet____ #13 Posted 04 May 2015 - 07:58 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles

View PostEokokok, on 04 May 2015 - 02:40 PM, said:

Training crew for a crew trainer, now this is some next level tactic right here...

Have you tried playing the AMX CDC without sixth sense? It's way too painful. Besides, it's a money maker for me, not a crew trainer.

Eventually of course, the crew will find a new home in the AMX 30, but that will be another long grind, months from now at the earliest.

Edited by alisuorittaja, 04 May 2015 - 07:59 PM.

Onicorn #14 Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:06 AM

Private

• Player
  • 33167 battles
  • [READ] READ

View Postalisuorittaja, on 04 May 2015 - 06:58 PM, said:

Have you tried playing the AMX CDC without sixth sense? It's way too painful. Besides, it's a money maker for me, not a crew trainer.

Eventually of course, the crew will find a new home in the AMX 30, but that will be another long grind, months from now at the earliest.

6th sense huh?

if the hill you're hiding behind gets shot - you're spotted

if you're poking a ridge and spot an enemy in 200 meters - you're spotted

if you're in a bush and the red tanks turn their guns at you - get the hell out, you're spotted

if you feel like the last shot gave you away - you're spotted

if you're firing from behind a double bush at the last enemy in the edge of the render square with camo paint, camo net and BiA crew with 100% camo, you're most likely not spotted.

Use the CDC not only to train your crew but also to train yourself. For me 6th sense is (would be) only useful when hunting down RHM's and other camo monsters in the endgame, I already have a pretty good feel if I'm spotted or not even without the perk.

Eila_Juutilainen #15 Posted 06 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21258 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND

View PostOnicorn, on 06 May 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

6th sense huh?

if the hill you're hiding behind gets shot - you're spotted

if you're poking a ridge and spot an enemy in 200 meters - you're spotted

if you're in a bush and the red tanks turn their guns at you - get the hell out, you're spotted

if you feel like the last shot gave you away - you're spotted

if you're firing from behind a double bush at the last enemy in the edge of the render square with camo paint, camo net and BiA crew with 100% camo, you're most likely not spotted.

Use the CDC not only to train your crew but also to train yourself. For me 6th sense is (would be) only useful when hunting down RHM's and other camo monsters in the endgame, I already have a pretty good feel if I'm spotted or not even without the perk.

This. I actually don't have 6th Sense on any tank and I'm doing pretty good overall. Tried 6th Sense once, didn't find it to be the holy grail that people make it out to be, but maybe I just have a good sense for being detected already.

HidesHisFace #16 Posted 09 May 2015 - 01:38 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 17975 battles

SARL is pretty decent for that tier - the gun has surprisingly good soft stats, or at least it feels like it has, so as long as you keep yourself at the second line, you should be fine.

G1 however... This thing is severely underpowered if you do not like howitzers - the top 75mm is complete and utter trash of a gun, equal to stock/intermediate guns of other tier V meds. 

Armour is good for a medium, very good in fact but it won't matter above tier V. Every semi-decent tier VI and every tier VII will pen it no problem so... With poor armament and sub-par mobility and armour that won't work you get overall a very bad machine, unless you are top tier - and even on top, you get only an average tank.

Regular gun is abysmal and faster derp does not justify picking this overall bad platform over Sherman or Panzer IVH. This thing needs a serious buff in standard armament - at least 10mm of pen more OR better (MUCH BETTER) premium ammo - because current one is a bad joke. 

_Abe_77 #17 Posted 09 May 2015 - 02:06 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27096 battles

Torturing yourself for 6th sense in low tier crap tanks?

Well, you can do it in CDC, and you will get credits as a side effect.

FatigueGalaxy #18 Posted 14 May 2015 - 12:51 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 20368 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

SARL 42 is fine. You could say it's "good" when you compare it to other tier 4 tanks... Yes, the vehicle is pretty terrible but it's the gun that matters the most. With that 75 mm you will be doing damage, even in tier 6 battles and that's what gets you out from this tier really fast. This is one of the easiest tier 4 grinds in the game.

As for Renault G1R - I aced it in my second game with 75% crew (except loader) and with turret and 75 mm gun. ~2k damage.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1875294

I also wrecked Chi-Nu in my first game - he didn't pen me once. So armour kinda works against tomatoes and people who don't know where to shoot which is nice since taking out bad player without receiving damage in return is a good thing.

Also, there are some nasty spaced armour zones near your tracks with ~150-180 effective armour when angled. It might be a surprise for anybody trying to track you. Low tier derps most likely won't pen you too.

Dunno about mobility. I still have stock tracks and engine. But it's kinda baffling me that this tank is straight worse compared to M4 or Pz.IV in almost ever aspect. It's just sad.

But it has a derp so grind should be easy. Tank might be "meh" but there is plenty of paper stuff driving around nowadays and not giving crap about KV's armour is nice too.

Bennyboymothman #19 Posted 26 May 2015 - 12:32 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20237 battles
  • [PXR] PXR
Currently I am on the G1r and I am loving the derp.
I did my MT-15 mission in it :p

Win rate and wn8 went up playing these two. I only have to do around 600 damage and win to get a wn8 of 2200+

Remember, play it as a TD or support tank.

Pandabird #20 Posted 31 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 35126 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

http://tank-compare.com/en/compare/m4-sherman/pzkpfw-iv-ausf-h/renault-g1#T1=9I13I11I9I103&T2=524I133I106I633I139&T3=637I521I218I763I280

I mean i could say various things, but to me it looks like the only thing this tank can do better than its counterparts is to bully tier 3 tanks from any angle like a kv-1 does because of it's allround 60mm armor.

That amount of armor quickly becomes irrelevant when facing it's own tier and above though and just doesn't make up for the fact the gun has slower reload than the others.

I'd stick to M4 if i was in a need for a T5 derp medium

Edited by Pandabird, 31 May 2015 - 01:18 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users