MT-25 playstyle

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

JiM_WEST7 #1 Posted 03 June 2015 - 12:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16095 battles

I realise there's a thread already semi-covering this tank but there seems to be a lot of conflicting opinions on how this tank should be played.

Here's where I'm coming from, I see the T37 & Bulldog as aggressive scout(s) & therefore would run optics, vents & currently wet ammo rack. However I see for example the 12 t, 13 75 & even the 13 90 to an extent as passive scouts & therefore run camo net, binos & vents.

My question is as I'm new to the Soviet light line, is where would the MT-25 fall, I've currently got optics, vents & a camo net slapped on it because I figured this would be a wicked aggressive scout given that it's as mobile if not more mobile than the Bulldog.. but the problem I find myself with is the gun (Currently using the 57mm & admittedly not tried any of the other ones as they seem quite piss & situational given largely the pen), I find though unlike things like the T37 & Bulldog, I can't be aggressive or to an extent go toe to toe with other tanks simply because the guns damage in general isn't on par with the others. 85 average damage vs 115 of a T37 for example & the ROF on a T37 isn't exactly slow.

Basically my question is, do you think this is more suited to passive scouting? therefore perhaps rocking binos, camo net & maybe even keeping optics as it's mobility is still strong. Might be a waste having both optics & binos but I'm just not really enjoying this as an aggressive scout in comparison to other tanks. Some of the maps I feel render this tank a non-threat.. like Abby.

VladPomar #2 Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:12 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14458 battles

Until recently I considered a good setup for all LT to be Optics/rammer/ vert stab or gld. After an argument with a guy on this forums I reconsidered my choice and I came to the conclusion that, for me, the most effective way of equipping LT is Camo Net+Binocs+Coated optics.

Even if you do play your scouts aggressively spotting is still your main purpose. Being able to get those spots (either passively or aggressively) is way more important than putting one more shot in the back of the enemy or hit that arty on the move.

In conclusion:  Coated Optics+Binocs+Camo Net. The only exceptions would be T49 where aiming and loading equipment might be better and Awful Panther which should be played like a medium.

krazypenguin #3 Posted 03 June 2015 - 01:42 PM

Major

• Player
  • 27097 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I make no claim to be any good but I primarily play my MT-25 as a passive scout because that's what I enjoy the most.  I'll start a battle by rushing out to secure a decent spotting position with the exact spot depending on the map and the line ups of the teams - due to the plethora of better, higher tiered lights I often find myself outmatched so need to be content to take a less aggressive position than I would normally like.  Then it's just a case of parking up in a nice bush and seeing what I can spot.

If I have to play as an active scout then I try to be very conservative, exposing the smallest amount of my tank as I crest ridges or weave in and out of cover.  I'll always maintain maximum speed (and I love doing power slides when it's safe to do so), and I'll give myself lots of time safe from the front lines to ensure I drop off the enemy teams view before popping back up somewhere else.

Once the game enters the end phase and tanks thin out, I'll try and hunt isolated enemy TDs, heavies or arty.  If it's a crushing loss, I'll usually try and stay hidden, hoping that the bulk of the enemy pass me by so I can then set off to hunt any arty or slow stragglers on their team to at least farm some damage of my own.

My crew have 100% camo, my MT-25 has permanent camo paint and is equipped with vents, camo net and binoculars.  I've had tier 9 mediums get within 65 metres of me and not spot me :-)

JiM_WEST7 #4 Posted 03 June 2015 - 04:02 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16095 battles

The only thing mine is currently lacking, is a skilled up crew sixth sense, camo, recon etc... but by the time the crew is even partially skilled, this will have been sold & I'll be onto the LTTB.

I have to say though this is by far my least favorite light tank/scout I've played of any tier, largely it's because of the gun it's equipped with & the potential matches it can get put in with. That & I feel it's view range in comparison to it's other tier 6 rivals is completely sub par. (With the exception of maybe the Chinese, I'm not sure it's the only tier 6 light I've not tried now.)

The only thing I feel this tank has going for it, is it's speed. It's superior to the T37 & 12 t in that aspect by a long way, but I'd happily sacrifice 10km/h for perhaps 10m+  view range or a gun with 10mm more penetration or 10 more damage. I feel there's too many maps currently that completely negate all that speed & mobility making this tank too much of a passenger until perhaps it's time to hunt down an artillery, decap a base or chase down something that's quick & eluding your team.

Maybe I'll need to adjust my playstyle further in it to fully enjoy it, but I'm not enjoying how blind it seems to be or having to spam so much gold just to pen something to cause him to move his gun off my allys.

azakow #5 Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:54 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 74789 battles

In order to be successful with MT-25 you the following softkills

• patience
  • situational awareness
  • map knowlege

My setup looked like this:

Spoiler

A kind of all purpose setup.

This setup will allow passive and active scouting.

If required you will be able to deliver a shell about every 2.5 sek.

Binos are for passive scouting AND long range undetected damage dealing at busy targets, mostly sides and rear.

When active spotting, do not even try the shoot at targets coz you will not be able to hit anything.

When fighting close combat be very picky about the location of the fight. The location should be flat, because you have no gun depression.

Ramming FR LT is a valid option in order to take out opponents fast, hence my drivers training.

The armor of the MT-25 is trolling the oppoents really hard (bounces alot), mostly when you desperedly need it.

Do not be mistaken by this, becasue the mantra for any LT still applies: Do not get hit. Do not get hit. ...

Here some repalys to illustrate what I just said.

Turn of the sound, since it is all in German.

Spoiler

Crow_Eschatologist #6 Posted 11 June 2015 - 01:09 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 23039 battles

Probably not to everyone's taste, but I have been finding the MT-25 hilarious fun running the autocannon with a full gold loadout (The +16 pen really matters when you only have 46 AP pen). I have been training a new crew in it, so only up to about 90% camo so far for crew skills. Equipment is Optics, Vents and Camo Net.

I start the match by preferably active scouting, passive if a better option depending on the map. I make a note at the start of the match of the targets I can hurt (62 pen only gets you so far when you can meet t9s . . .) Light stuff up and smack down enemy scouts that get too close, run from everything else. Mid to Late game I start to look for any surviving targets I can damage to sneak up for some hurt.

I don't know if you have looked at the autocannon, but despite the low pen the burst damage is nuts against things you can penetrate - 30 shots in 10 seconds at 40 damage a pop gives you a potential 1200 per clip, which is enough to make paper targets very very sad indeed. Ironically the extreme nature of the autocannon makes me play a lot better, as I don't find myself taking stupid speculative shots like I do with the 57mm - it forces you to pick a target and only fire when you have a soft spot available.

I don't have a great win ratio with it (below my average) but I am having a LOT of fun with it recently.

Highlights include:

Shredding a Rhm Waffletracktor in QCB between his shots

Wrecking a T49 that failed a point-blank derp charge

Giving a free colostomy to an AMX 50 120 for 990 points of damage while he was unloading on a friendly heavy

Making dirty Walker Bulldog scummers very very sad while they are reloading

Killing an AMX 12t and an ELC in 13 seconds using a single clip

It doesn't always work out, but it is great when it does - you just need to be able to offset the 30-90k in ammo costs per game (what are premium tanks for right?) :)

Edited by Cripplefingers, 11 June 2015 - 01:52 PM.

Poddertw #7 Posted 12 June 2015 - 12:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 27131 battles

well i had alot of fun on this tank until the other light tanks were introduced. You come into battle and sometimes u have 4 light tanks "helping" the team. The guns are bad so u have to play as passive/active scout. Unfortunately the other scouts "steal" alot of your scouting points so atm this beautiful vehicle is collecting dust in my garage... . Because of the "good" guns you cant brawl much with ur counterparts so at this moment i would recommend the American light tanks.

So the problem is not Mt 25, the problem is competition in your own team.

thedab #8 Posted 26 June 2015 - 12:00 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 42187 battles

i'm running mine on Vents(I run Vents on all my tanks),GLD,Binos The Crew got sixth sense and cam on the commander,cam and situational awareness & cam on the radio man,and the rest cam up to 99%

and how I play it is down to,what tier,how my team deployed,and which map.so far I'm doing well

Big_Heimdal #9 Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:26 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 7241 battles

Imo the MT-25 is a great active and passive Scout, but it´s not the brawler compared to other Scouts.

It´s good to cruise arround and lighten up the foes, it´s good to sit in a bush having a barbecue and damagewise it´s good to shave off HP by aimed shots out of a bush over distance or circle less mobile and allready hit tanks into the garrage.

It´s also great fun to annoy other Scouts, by sitting in a bush and firing concealed shots at them

I´m running it with Optics, Vents and Binos and ofc the 57mm Zis 4

_ZakOdaC_ #10 Posted 14 March 2018 - 01:03 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 19939 battles
  • [N00T] N00T

View PostCrow_Eschatologist, on 11 June 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

Probably not to everyone's taste, but I have been finding the MT-25 hilarious fun running the autocannon with a full gold loadout (The +16 pen really matters when you only have 46 AP pen). I have been training a new crew in it, so only up to about 90% camo so far for crew skills. Equipment is Optics, Vents and Camo Net.

I start the match by preferably active scouting, passive if a better option depending on the map. I make a note at the start of the match of the targets I can hurt (62 pen only gets you so far when you can meet t9s . . .) Light stuff up and smack down enemy scouts that get too close, run from everything else. Mid to Late game I start to look for any surviving targets I can damage to sneak up for some hurt.

I don't know if you have looked at the autocannon, but despite the low pen the burst damage is nuts against things you can penetrate - 30 shots in 10 seconds at 40 damage a pop gives you a potential 1200 per clip, which is enough to make paper targets very very sad indeed. Ironically the extreme nature of the autocannon makes me play a lot better, as I don't find myself taking stupid speculative shots like I do with the 57mm - it forces you to pick a target and only fire when you have a soft spot available.

I don't have a great win ratio with it (below my average) but I am having a LOT of fun with it recently.

Highlights include:

Shredding a Rhm Waffletracktor in QCB between his shots

Wrecking a T49 that failed a point-blank derp charge

Giving a free colostomy to an AMX 50 120 for 990 points of damage while he was unloading on a friendly heavy

Making dirty Walker Bulldog scummers very very sad while they are reloading

Killing an AMX 12t and an ELC in 13 seconds using a single clip

It doesn't always work out, but it is great when it does - you just need to be able to offset the 30-90k in ammo costs per game (what are premium tanks for right?) :)

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users