• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Darkgate #1 Posted 01 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 30239 battles
  • [R-U] R-U

Hello guys

I am trying to make a logo for my Starter clan, but I am not an Artist and from the look of it never will be.

I had Something in mind with a Shield and EPV on it..But my skills (Lack of), simply couldn't do what I had in mind. Is there a friendly who would like to help a lost soul out?

I have attached what I made and yes, it is allowed to smile and laugh at it.

Attached Thumbnails

TsundereWaffle #2 Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:10 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26579 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
oh, sounds fun! I'll see if I can make some things

TsundereWaffle #3 Posted 01 July 2015 - 08:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26579 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Spoiler

Just something quick, I can do better :P

Darkgate #4 Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:24 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 30239 battles
  • [R-U] R-U

Wow already looks a million times better than mine! :)

How can it become better than this?

TsundereWaffle #5 Posted 01 July 2015 - 09:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26579 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
Probably if I had more time than 30 minutes. I'll see what I can make of it tomorrow :)

Darkgate #6 Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:06 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 30239 battles
  • [R-U] R-U

Awesome!

Thank you kindly for helping me out :)

maroar #7 Posted 01 July 2015 - 10:58 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 29488 battles
  • [G__G] G__G

Some genereal rules for good flags, I actually liked this TED talk allot :P

Ulfhedinn_ #8 Posted 01 July 2015 - 11:50 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48246 battles

Excellent link & extremely interesting & fun (+1 when have more), but pah, he doesn't even show the Union Flag, the most genius evolved flag ever. Although if those Scots had defected & joined the Soviet block like they were threatening, the background would have been changed to black instead of blue (to represent the black cross of Wales St. David, or maybe the Jolly Roger), and that looked very cool :-P

OP, what does EVP stand for? What's it's catchment - is it intending to be for a particular Nation of player, a certain age of player, to focus on a particular Nation of tank, do you want the logo to look military & authentic to a particular period (like WW2), or do you want it look modern & PC gamerish, is the Clan for CW's & proper competition stuff or just for Randoms & fun etc.

Re shape, a shield is good, but there's going to be tanks where that doesn't look very symmetrical (like where clan tag is placed on the forward side of the track casing on Churchill7, a shield curve is going to conflict with the opposite and different grade of curving of the tank). Circles or squares may fit better on some tanks, roundels can look very good. A bit of feathering on the edge (like on my Clans tag), will make it look much more right in game & on the tank, like a slightly rough painted edge, very realistic & HDish.

Edited by Maxmk6, 02 July 2015 - 01:14 AM.

Darkgate #9 Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:12 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 30239 battles
  • [R-U] R-U

EVP is the latin words for From Determination, Victory (Ex Pertinacia Victoria). It is intended to be a international clan for people of 18+. It will evolve around ranked and unranked battles and SH at first, and from there go to the CW scene.

I would like it to have a modern look and easy recognizable. It doesn't have to be all too fancy, but still look amazing like Waffle already have made.

If a shield is not the right thing, I am always up for other options, but as I am not really good at it myself, I am taking everything with open arms, as beggars can't be choosers :)

incurably #10 Posted 02 July 2015 - 11:58 AM

Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 38901 battles
  • [PTS] PTS

View Postmaroar, on 01 July 2015 - 10:58 PM, said:

love it

vexillology my word of the day ;) take the +1 and dont spend it all at once

Edited by incurably, 02 July 2015 - 11:58 AM.

TsundereWaffle #11 Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26579 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostDarkgate, on 02 July 2015 - 11:12 AM, said:

EVP is the latin words for From Determination, Victory (Ex Pertinacia Victoria). It is intended to be a international clan for people of 18+. It will evolve around ranked and unranked battles and SH at first, and from there go to the CW scene.

I would like it to have a modern look and easy recognizable. It doesn't have to be all too fancy, but still look amazing like Waffle already have made.

If a shield is not the right thing, I am always up for other options, but as I am not really good at it myself, I am taking everything with open arms, as beggars can't be choosers :)

Hmm, I'll see what I can make with/without shield :)

TsundereWaffle #12 Posted 02 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26579 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

Still went with a shield...

Spoiler

Wait.... did i just switch the letters around...

In case they are, here's another version!

Spoiler

Edited by WafflePanzer, 02 July 2015 - 01:50 PM.

Darkgate #13 Posted 02 July 2015 - 02:45 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 30239 battles
  • [R-U] R-U

WOW that looks insane :)

yeah its EPV hehe :hiding:

Thank you so much for your help Waffle, you are Awesome :great:

Ulfhedinn_ #14 Posted 03 July 2015 - 09:37 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48246 battles

Latin for From Determination, Victory = EVP.

Well, the Greek Goddess of Victory was called Nike, and her symbol was an upside down V (I guess so it was pointing up to demonstrate success and / or as a lower case 'n' for nike). This evolved into two things (both with V reversed to be right way round as we know it).

1) the tick used to mark something as a victory / being correct, like in school books. That's why the NIKE sports brand has a tick as it's logo.

2) The Romans had almost the same religion as the Greeks, and their version of the Goddess Nike was called Victoria, where the word Victory comes from, and the V for Victory is obviously associated with that (and I guess that's when the V & tick got turned right way round, in line with Roman culture).

Nike was the Spartan city states patron Goddess of war, so they had her symbol, the upside down V on their big round hoplite shields. So a round Spartan shield with V on (but right way round) would be perfect for your clans brand. There are a couple of clans in WOT's who already use that as their clan logo, but upside down as the Greeks used it, and in mute colours so it looks period for the WW2 tanks. One is white & black with upside down V, the other is red V on a cream (I guess representing bronze) background (effectively an exact copy of the ancient Spartan shields). This is the design of b&w one:

http://eu.wargaming....&search=spartan

It works so well because it's so symmetrical & clean. There's no reason why you couldn't use a shield with a V on like that, right way round so it clearly relates to Victory and your clan identity, but in more modern gaming colours to properly differentiate your clan as unique from any others with a similar design. Primary colours would look modern but not garish, or some day-glow type colour as the V or the background would make it really stand out. Here's what I got just by searching Spartan shield:

https://www.google.c...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

Just some thoughts, but Wafflepanzers ideas look great. Hope you get it sorted, and GL with your clan :-)

edit - just checked, here's stuff for Roman Goddess Victoria linked below. She may be associated with V due to simply being Victoria, but it may also be representative of her wings shaping a V behind her, but her symbol was the laurel wreath crown, which is why victorious Roman generals were presented with a laurel wreath, Emperors wore gold ones to show they were all victorious. So as well, a laurel wreath, simply with acronym EVP in the middle would work well with your brand too (like the Roman SPQR standards).

Edited by Maxmk6, 03 July 2015 - 10:20 PM.

Darkgate #15 Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:37 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 30239 battles
  • [R-U] R-U

That is some Awesome research you have done there.

Very informative, thank you for all the work you laid into it :)

Ulfhedinn_ #16 Posted 03 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48246 battles

Lol I don't do research, I just soak up stuff as I go along, my head is a bottomless pit of useless information. The only stuff I ever search for is pictures (which is fun), but they sometimes come with extra info that goes into that pit, or prompt me to remember stuff I've forgotten is in there :-P

Edited by Maxmk6, 03 July 2015 - 11:01 PM.

Ulfhedinn_ #17 Posted 03 July 2015 - 11:02 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48246 battles

And here's some more fun pictures :-P

Waffle Panzers ideas are very good, but EPV on a round (or square) shield edged with laurel leaves would have huge integrity with the acronyms meaning, and be bold & easy to recognise. Clans logos can be a very important thing, they can attract players to join your clan all on their own if they are attractive & striking enough. A simple V on a round shield, or a simple but strong round (or square) shield EVP version of the SPQR standard with laurel leaves around the letters might have a wider appeal than something more flashy but niche. Like the logo for the clan I am in (Nomadz) denoted only by an N but with the sinister eyes referencing the clan motto "Shadows & Dust". Simple, clean, striking, but integral to itself, with strong primary colours looking modern but not garish and so not conflicting with period tanks, and so classy.

edit - but not the ones with lightning bolts, they're nothing to do with Victoria / Victory, they represent the over-God Jupiter (Roman equivalent to Zeus) who was able to throw lightening bolts.

Edited by Maxmk6, 03 July 2015 - 11:23 PM.

Darkgate #18 Posted 04 July 2015 - 07:20 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 30239 battles
  • [R-U] R-U

Yeah, It can make a clan more attractive for sure.

But if I one day will remake the logo, I can find inspiration for it, right here :)

monthey_ #19 Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:29 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 35664 battles
  • [MAROC] MAROC

hmm I have a question too about logos. what are the ideal measurements of logos to get maximum size. because I faithfully kept to the advised sizes (24*24/ 32*32 etc) but my tank logo looks puss poor because it shows far too small on my tanks. So I recon I can upload at least 5% bigger logos than the stated quirements that WG is asking me to upload.

any thoughts about this would be greatly appreciated.

edit: and I like the idea that Maxmk6 put forward. get a version of the spqr leaves and with EPV in the middle. should work great.

Edited by monthey_, 15 July 2015 - 09:36 PM.

scrontch #20 Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:25 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 24011 battles
  • [SPIKE] SPIKE

View Postmaroar, on 01 July 2015 - 09:58 PM, said:

+1 (allthough i had seen it already)

Which when we apply it to the OP of this thread:

Just take your initial design (yes, the black and white shield), *remove* the EVP lettering. And there you have a decent logo.

All later proposals were worse. (sorry Waffle)

This is not about Gimp/Photoshop skills, but about logo design.

And for those having fun with flag design, try out this web app : http://flag-designer.appspot.com/

(Yes, it's mine)

Also tagged with Clan logo

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users