Best Tank to Start with?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

Emphedokles #1 Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:38 PM

Private

• Player
  • 613 battles
Ich grüße alle Panzerfahrer! ;)

Hi together,

I am downloading the game at the moment and really looking forward to it.
I want to explore the german tech tree first.
And i do not want to make all the newb failures :)
With wich tank should i start first to experience the most ingame fun at the start?

regards

Emphedokles

FrankK2 #2 Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:42 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 8919 battles
  • [GETI] GETI
Go russian for easy mode, german and americans are skill-based.

Emphedokles #3 Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:51 PM

Private

• Player
  • 613 battles

View PostFrankK2, on 11 August 2011 - 06:42 PM, said:

Go russian for easy mode, german and americans are skill-based.
But i joined the game to drive german tanks :)

FrankK2 #4 Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:55 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 8919 battles
  • [GETI] GETI
If you did. Try to get these: Marder II, Stug, Pz4, Tiger P, Tiger 2, Hummel :)

Emphedokles #5 Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:56 PM

Private

• Player
  • 613 battles

View PostFrankK2, on 11 August 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

If you did. Try to get these: Marder II, Stug, Pz4, Tiger P, Tiger 2, Hummel :)
so i start with the Marder II or what will the first tank be after i logged in first to the game?

FrankK2 #6 Posted 11 August 2011 - 06:59 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 8919 battles
  • [GETI] GETI
Take a look here. http://statcdn.world...ee_full(eu).jpg

And you start with Leichtracktor, make sure you upgrade it to full.

Emphedokles #7 Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 613 battles

View PostFrankK2, on 11 August 2011 - 06:59 PM, said:

Take a look here. http://statcdn.world...ee_full(eu).jpg

And you start with Leichtracktor, make sure you upgrade it to full.
Thank you, Sir.

BattleMetalChris #8 Posted 11 August 2011 - 07:58 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8280 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Depends entirely how you want to play. You can play artillery, scouts, medium tanks, heavy tanks or tank destroyers. There's not really a 'best' tank as there are many different roles to play.

Just try some and see which you enjoy driving.

dpiris #9 Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:46 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 17029 battles
  • [-ON-] -ON-
Go for the THREE tier I first and study all their modules: you'll get lot of free XP and enough credits to buy your first tier II. After that, take a country you like and start with lights ones (they are cheaper). And study all the modules where are the same one with other tanks: it is another way of saving XP for other tanks.

Emphedokles #10 Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:10 PM

Private

• Player
  • 613 battles

View Postdpiris, on 11 August 2011 - 08:46 PM, said:

Go for the THREE tier I first and study all their modules: you'll get lot of free XP and enough credits to buy your first tier II. After that, take a country you like and start with lights ones (they are cheaper). And study all the modules where are the same one with other tanks: it is another way of saving XP for other tanks.
Oki i started and it is fun. But i have reallly a question about aiming. I only have a changse of hitting the tank when i see the glowing red tank sympol right?

ScienceWoona #11 Posted 11 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11682 battles
  • [READ] READ

View PostEmphedokles, on 11 August 2011 - 09:10 PM, said:

Oki i started and it is fun. But i have reallly a question about aiming. I only have a changse of hitting the tank when i see the glowing red tank sympol right?

You can hit a tank if it isn't highlighted if you know exactly where it is, for example an immobile enemy who dissapeared right before you could fire, but generally its best to fire only at enemies you can see. Also remember you can use shift to enter and exit sniper mode to see whether theres any bits of anyone trying to take cover sticking out you can hit.

Bloodaxe31 #12 Posted 11 August 2011 - 11:18 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9381 battles
I set out with the intention of exploring German tanks - but thanks to special offers have digressed along the way.

I would advise you - even if you don't intend to follow the Russian or US trees - to give the MS-1 and the Cunningham a run just so you get used to different styles. They cost nothing to run and if you fully reaearch them (and buy some gold) you can (once they are elite) use gold to convert the XP to "free" XP for researching the tanks you really want.

But going back to the fact that you have just started I'd recommend researching the Pz ll first amongst Tier 2 tanks as it's fairly fast and if you learn to shoot it's cannon does serious damage.

If you want to spend gold the PzKpfw 38H735 (f) is an interesting lesson in tactics as it's heavier and much slower than most of what it meets.

If you research tank destroyers then the Tier 2 Panzerjager is nothing special - but it leads onto the Marder - which is an excellent weapon for it's tier. Packs a punch yet is quite mobile.

Hope this helps.

:Smile_honoring:

Emphedokles #13 Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 613 battles
Thanks for the Hints. I have two addtional questions.

Artillerie is able to shoot ballistic. Are Tankdestroyers also able to shoot ballistic?
And if yes - how :)

Also i have different amunition on my tank. How do i change from armor penetrating to explosive armore, and should id?
Is it wise to place the second shot with explosion armor or what is the sence of that?

ScienceWoona #14 Posted 14 August 2011 - 02:09 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11682 battles
  • [READ] READ

View PostEmphedokles, on 14 August 2011 - 02:04 PM, said:

Thanks for the Hints. I have two addtional questions.

Artillerie is able to shoot ballistic. Are Tankdestroyers also able to shoot ballistic?
And if yes - how :)

Also i have different amunition on my tank. How do i change from armor penetrating to explosive armore, and should id?
Is it wise to place the second shot with explosion armor or what is the sence of that?

Artillery is able to shoot like a howitzer by pressing shift but only atry can do this, pressing shift in tank destroyers or any other non spg class acivates sniper mode which is just zoomed in.

you change ammo with keys 1,2 and 3. default is 1 for AP (armour piercing) 2 for premium shells and 3 for HE (high explosive). you should carry a mix of both AP and HE.

Theres no point to firing Armour piercing then firing high epxlosive, you fire high explosive rounds if you are unable to penetrate the enemy or are using large caliber guns like the 152mm on the KV. Artillery also uses High epxlosive as primary ammo. You should always fire AP except when you cannot penetrate in which case you should shoot HE. Some people recommend firing HE at extreme ranges where Armour piercings penetration will be weak (AP loses penetration the longer it has to travel).

Mungo73 #15 Posted 15 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 22020 battles
  • [EFE-X] EFE-X
AP  makes full damage - but only when it penetrates

HE makes full damage when it penetrates and also a little bit of damage when it does not penetrate.

AriesHausdorff #16 Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:42 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23308 battles
  • [PPPPP] PPPPP
When you want a heavy tank to earn money, and train yourself for usage of a ehavy, get the US T14 premium tank. it's cheap, but otherwise quite usable, and as soon as you manage to take down one enemy at least before beign taken out yourself you get a steady income higher than our repair costs. On average I get 5000 to 15000 per run, which pays for the upgrades to equip the other tanks.

HE ammo is for extreme ranges, or , ideally, when you can kick some tanks backside. There it penetrates quite readily and makes a lot of damage.

As to tanks that are fun to play, well, the Panzer 35(t) you get quite quickly, it's nice and versatile, and when you equip it with the ( pricey ) radio it gets an excellent scout.

When you have a small tank and want to scout, don't run too far ahead, unless you know how to draw your own artilleries attention to the tanks you uncover.

When you sell a tank, remember to send the crew to the barracks beforehand - then you can re-use them in the next tank of the same class, which you can optionally buy without crew.

Why have more crew in spare?
Well, when you get unluckily shot early in the game and don't want to idle away watching, you can log out of the battle and take another tank - but you need a crew as your crew and the tank "are still in battle" until the fight ends.

When you get a tank of a new class, buy it with it's own crew. When you can afford it, the more training the better.

When you want to have a wider range of selection, then consider getting about 5500 Gold ( ~ 20 €?? ) which buys you one of the premium tanks for testing, farming and learning, buy a bunch of additional garage slots ( as to keep a tank of every class or of every major tier or nation or whatever ).
When you get frustrated... pack in a few premium shells.
They don't work miracles, but it's a difference if you need 4 or 5 shots to toast an enemy.
On a medium to heavy it's worth in my opinion.
On a light tank it's ... Ahem.. Debatable, in my opinion again.

ScienceWoona #17 Posted 16 August 2011 - 12:44 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 11682 battles
  • [READ] READ

View PostAriesHausdorff, on 15 August 2011 - 11:42 PM, said:

When you want a heavy tank to earn money, and train yourself for usage of a ehavy, get the US T14 premium tank. it's cheap, but otherwise quite usable, and as soon as you manage to take down one enemy at least before beign taken out yourself you get a steady income higher than our repair costs. On average I get 5000 to 15000 per run, which pays for the upgrades to equip the other tanks.

HE ammo is for extreme ranges, or , ideally, when you can kick some tanks backside. There it penetrates quite readily and makes a lot of damage.

As to tanks that are fun to play, well, the Panzer 35(t) you get quite quickly, it's nice and versatile, and when you equip it with the ( pricey ) radio it gets an excellent scout.

When you have a small tank and want to scout, don't run too far ahead, unless you know how to draw your own artilleries attention to the tanks you uncover.

When you sell a tank, remember to send the crew to the barracks beforehand - then you can re-use them in the next tank of the same class, which you can optionally buy without crew.

Why have more crew in spare?
Well, when you get unluckily shot early in the game and don't want to idle away watching, you can log out of the battle and take another tank - but you need a crew as your crew and the tank "are still in battle" until the fight ends.

When you get a tank of a new class, buy it with it's own crew. When you can afford it, the more training the better.

When you want to have a wider range of selection, then consider getting about 5500 Gold ( ~ 20 €?? ) which buys you one of the premium tanks for testing, farming and learning, buy a bunch of additional garage slots ( as to keep a tank of every class or of every major tier or nation or whatever ).
When you get frustrated... pack in a few premium shells.
They don't work miracles, but it's a difference if you need 4 or 5 shots to toast an enemy.
On a medium to heavy it's worth in my opinion.
On a light tank it's ... Ahem.. Debatable, in my opinion again.

Premium shells really arent worth regular use. careful aim does just as well with most tanks and it usually doens't make enough of a difference ton justify the price, i carry a single premium shell on a few high tiers and even then i only fire it once every 50 games or so. (of course this is in random battles and not clan wars im talking about)

Emphedokles #18 Posted 16 August 2011 - 06:33 PM

Private

• Player
  • 613 battles
Thank you for your answers.

I play the Marder II and the Hetzer at the moment.

I looked forward to the Hetzer because of its strong canon. But i am not sure about this tank.
With the Marder i make much more kills, it is waaaay more easier to maneuver and its just more fun to play with.
The maximum Kills i make with the Marder is 5 and with the Hetzer 3. My max exp with the marder is 1500 and with
Hetzer always around 250.

So i am asking myself. Is is possible that the Hetzer is a tank wich is only useable with a 100% trained crew or something?
And if not ... wich is the next tank in that part of the tech tree wich is really fun to play with. Because if the Hetzer is
really crap then i will make the exp with the marder and wait for that i can afford a better tank.

format #19 Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:07 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 6836 battles
  • [NRP] NRP
marder II is incredible, i will be gutted the day i have to sell this.

lights - russian bt's are a lot of fun, as is the german luchs.
meds - only america has meds <t4, i'd give them a miss in lieu of working toward pzIII and t28 (horrible tank but good gun and important to research) though the m2 with howitzer is pretty powerful.
TD - i'd go german for sure, get a marder II asap, train crew to 75% soon as you can afford to and spend some money on camo net (it's expensive at this point but re-usable on other tanks)
spg - american actually, the first 3 are very user-friendly and pretty fast and accurate, though don't pack much of a punch later.  su-26 is only turreted SPG and can be quite amazing fun (had some very good games when i've been last of my team and i've taken out the first few fast tanks to try and rush me)
heavy - kv, definitely a keeper tank as it is a lot of fun to play and can punch far above it's weight.  t28 grind is a bit of a bastard but it's well worth it.  only other low tier heavy is the american t1 and same tier meds and TD's will be eating this alive.

always remember when selling off a tank to dismount the crew and put all equipment but the turret and tracks back to stock as there is a good chance another tank can use it.  crew level does make a difference but i'd stick to using 50% training (or even not retraining crew if they are above 60% till t4, though performance may suffer) till you have a keeper at t4/5 as you fly through ranks till that point.

Emphedokles #20 Posted 16 August 2011 - 07:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 613 battles
so i am right? The marder II is incredible? Because i think it is worth to build it to max and train the crew. I do not have to have the biggest tank if my tank is good enough to place a few good shots an get away alive :)