• [WJDE] WJDE

A few months ago I started upgrading my PC rig. So far I got the following:

Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Hero

CPU: Intel i5 4690K

DDR3: 2x8GB Silicon Power 2133 MHz

GPU: EVGA ACX2.0 Superclocked GTX 970

Case: Fractal Design Define S

SSD1: LiteOn 256 GB

And finally today I bought a Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 1 TB. This one will be used for games only, leaving the 256GB SSD to only hold the OS and software.

Already having 2x 2TB HDDS and 1x 1.5TB External HDD.

I'm wondering what to get next month.

My choices are (in order of preference):

- one more kit of 2x8GB DDR3;

- 1x 4TB HDD (for storing large files, like movies, etc) - at 5400 RPM because it's for storage only, e.g. Western Digital WD40EFRX RED;

- 1/2 of a complete (CPU+GPU) watercooling solution (I say 1/2 because the whole thing is around 400 EUR and I can't spend that much in a month);

- Yet another SSD, this time an M.2 PCI Express version, such as the Plextor M6E series or Samsung SM951 series. Those are ultra-fast.

- An upgrade from 4690K to 4790K.

So... what would the community recommend?

Send__nUdes #2 Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:54 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14809 battles

View Postwar4peace, on 08 July 2015 - 04:58 PM, said:

- one more kit of 2x8GB DDR3;

- 1x 4TB HDD (for storing large files, like movies, etc) - at 5400 RPM because it's for storage only, e.g. Western Digital WD40EFRX RED;

- 1/2 of a complete (CPU+GPU) watercooling solution (I say 1/2 because the whole thing is around 400 EUR and I can't spend that much in a month);

- Yet another SSD, this time an M.2 PCI Express version, such as the Plextor M6E series or Samsung SM951 series. Those are ultra-fast.

- An upgrade from 4690K to 4790K.

So... what would the community recommend?

I would say  the Watercooling or HDD 

- Watercooling - for better cooling because you have a "K" cpu so i guess you have it OC. + wow factor if your case has window on the side panel. But you should wait and do a 100% watercooling not just 1/2   http://imagizer.imageshack.us/a/img10/1497/bd5v.jpg  :)

- HDD  - For movies i think the 4 TB worth buying.  I use a External 2 TB HDD  (that 2.5" thing connected through USB) for pictures and archives. I do not watch movies so i dont need that much space.   

But you already have 2x 2TB HDDS and 1x 1.5TB External HDD , so ....

+ and my proposal  : GTX 980  Ti :medal: (but god damn is expensive)

The rest : you have enough ram; dont think you need another SSD; your current processor is really good and dont see the need for cpu upgrade.

Edited by OMGimbadASS, 09 July 2015 - 01:09 AM.

war4peace #3 Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:04 PM

Colonel

• Translator
  • 26982 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I already have 2 HDDs of 2 TB each.

As for the GPU, currently there's nothing that makes my current GPU pant. Maybe if I had a 4K monitor but at the moment the good ones are also awesomely expensive.

My case was specifically ordered withOUT a side panel window, because I am looking for dark and silent - no Christmas Tree-like case, no noise. The aircooling solution is a Noctua NH-D14 which does a great job (ULNA enabled). No overclocking right now, 3.9 GHz is enough, although I tried 4.4 GHz without fiddling with settings and it was stable.

TsundereWaffle #4 Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:56 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26868 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
so you already have 4.75TB of storage :ohmy: i only have 500GB

war4peace #5 Posted 09 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

Colonel

• Translator
  • 26982 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Um, no, I have 2x2TB HDDs, 1n 1.5 TB External HDD, 1TB SSD and another 256 GB SSD.

That's 6.75 TB currently connected to my PC.

There's another 500GB external HDD which acts as sleeper backup, I only connect it every trimester and back/up the most important data. So I don't count it.

Send__nUdes #6 Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:11 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14809 battles

Considering your pc specs ... in WoT terms already would be a "Ace Tanker"  :D

You should keep the money for distant future upgrades or maybe you find some peripherals that you like.  (maybe 4k monitor on Black Friday if you live in a civilised country were you really have sales - not like my country were on BlackFriday we have something like 5% sale -.- wtf)

+ i saw on a blog some new premium tanks are coming  (in case you like to collect tanks)

---------------

- more ram ?  If you dont use the pc for those programs that eat ram for breakfast you really dont need 32GB     lol >> http://i.imgur.com/83Wifnq.png

- HDD - you already have more than enough space

- watercooling - since you dont OC and  you dont have a case with window side panel ... you dont really need it

- another SSD - what for ?

from 4690K to 4790K - dont see why to change, i think you will not feel the difference http://ark.intel.com/compare/80811,80807

Edited by OMGimbadASS, 09 July 2015 - 03:13 PM.

war4peace #7 Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:29 PM

Colonel

• Translator
  • 26982 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I sadly don't live in a Black Friday-civilized country :)

More RAM is always good, for example I could put WoT in a RAMdrive and have stronk loading speed :) Nah, just kidding, although my PC right now doesn't allow more than 2 VMs to run at the same time.

Watercooling is really something that I plan on doing. The case is specifically designed for watercooling, that's why I bought it, and it allows 420mm+360mm radiators, plus pump and everything else. To me, Watercooling isn't for showing off, I'm still researching the quietest solution.

The 4790K is only better at heavy multithreading (3D or Video editing, for example), not planning on doing any of that anytime soon, and when I'll need it, I guess I'll go for 2011-V3 directly.

So... more premium tenks it is, then :)

TsundereWaffle #8 Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 26868 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD
6.76 :o

Woody1999 #9 Posted 20 July 2015 - 03:54 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 14716 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Honestly, more storage is the least of your worries right now. Not to mention that the WD Red series of drives are specially designed for server use, and the extra features cannot be used by a normal machine.

The 4790K would offer no benefit over the 4690K, unless you do a lot of video editing. Specifically for WoT, the hyperthreading of the i7 would be completely pointless, as the game only utilises one core in the first place. Upgrading your RAM wouldn't be a priority either, as 16GB is by far enough even for the most high end gaming rigs, you can even get away with 8GB in most machines. I'm running 4GB and happy with it.

So, I guess that just leaves the option to water cool. Seeing as you prefer silence over looks, I'd recommend avoiding 120mm fans in your rads and going nothing but 140mm and up, as the noise difference can be quite noticeable.

Woody

CroustibatFR #10 Posted 21 July 2015 - 04:07 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23297 battles

Watercooling these CPUs is a bit useless, guess how i know ... they suffer from a bad thermal interface between the core and heat spreader. You can't do much about it, except removing the heat spreader, change the heat transfert paste, polish the heat spreader to death and adjust its height so it gets very very near the core.

Of course this voids your warranty, and chances of destroying the cpu is high. Once it is done though, the K become a different animal. Not worth it for further overclocking purpose if it cannot reach 4.6/.4.7GHz already though, you'd be better off sampling a cpu from a (hopefully) better batch.

Ram wise, 16Gb is well enough. Adding more won't reap any benefit, unless you are doing 4K video editing or that kind of ram eating usage.

IF you are not satisfied with your GFX performance,  I'd suggest spending money on a better GFX card. There is no point in doing that if you don't feel the need though, as they lose value like crazy.  You could watercooling it if you want to go that way, this could reap some benefits.

A very important component for stability and hardware life, but you won't really "see" the result, would be a very good power supply. This can cost some money but the benefits are well worth it : voltage stability even on huge and sudden load,  lower power consumption which also produces less heat, so less noise too. I think some of them are watercooled too, but don't quote me on this.

Finally i'd suggest a different approach, that would take the form of a new machine.

Considering the storage capacity you have, a NAS (or a couple of NAS) with some backup features would really fit. Most can stream music and video, and have download abilities. With 1Gb connectivity you will never feel the data is not on your computer. It saves power, and adds reliability. Sinology NAS are really good.

At home i have a computer to play / go on the internet, one to work with, a virtual machine server (which you should not need), 2 NAS, one working as a backup of the first one, and 4 little arm devices with debian that work as various network components ( like DNS, firewall, TS3 server, load balancing, proxy, boot server and the like - you may not need that either)

war4peace #11 Posted 21 July 2015 - 07:14 PM

Colonel

• Translator
  • 26982 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

My PC is never turned off, the PSU is brand new (Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W full modular) but what a great idea, I should get one of those micro PCs and put my TS server on it.

Raspberry PI 2 with Windows 10, here I come! :)

Woody1999 #12 Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:29 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 14716 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

Pi2 can run Win10!?

war4peace #13 Posted 22 July 2015 - 12:05 AM

Colonel

• Translator
  • 26982 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
YES IT CAN! :)

CroustibatFR #14 Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23297 battles

View Postwar4peace, on 21 July 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

My PC is never turned off, the PSU is brand new (Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W full modular) but what a great idea, I should get one of those micro PCs and put my TS server on it.

Raspberry PI 2 with Windows 10, here I come! :)

Nice choice of PSU.

Better slap a debian on that raspberry though, or any other small linux distrib. Not only will it run faster, but it will also be more secure.

I am in no way a linux integrist, i run 2 computers on windows. But W10 ? I would not even touch that piece of crap with a stick.

It is not so much the OS i blame, but the way MS intends to use it.

Mandatory and silent updates means MS can and will install AND uninstall whatever they want on your computer. Unique ID and big data model means they will gather everything you do and sell that for a profit to anyone that wants it ( that is clearly written in the licence agreement). It means they get access to mail accounts, bank accounts accessed from there, passwords and so on. N.E.V.E.R.

Basically, installing W10 on any computer means giving root access to MS to anything you do on that computer. If it is on a local network, nothing prevents MS from using a network analyzer tool and gather / process that data too. W10 is the very definition of a trojan horse. You would not install a trojan horse on your computer, would you ?

war4peace #15 Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

Colonel

• Translator
  • 26982 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Um, I'm sorry but you misunderstood how Windows 10 works.

Mandatory updates are only going to happen on the Home Edition of Windows 10 only.

Also, imagining Microsoft will have access to this and that and sell it to these or those 3rd parties requires pretty hefty amounts of tinfoil. Do you ever buy stuff online? With your credit card? Yeah, those get saved in most online stores. I'd trust MS more with my CC details than pretty much any other online store.

Also the EULA does not contain the things you mentioned. I assume you read some inflammatory (yet wrong) article on the Web and believed every word.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Windows versus Linux thing, I really don't :)

CroustibatFR #16 Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:54 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23297 battles

View Postwar4peace, on 22 July 2015 - 02:35 PM, said:

Um, I'm sorry but you misunderstood how Windows 10 works.

Mandatory updates are only going to happen on the Home Edition of Windows 10 only.

Also, imagining Microsoft will have access to this and that and sell it to these or those 3rd parties requires pretty hefty amounts of tinfoil. Do you ever buy stuff online? With your credit card? Yeah, those get saved in most online stores. I'd trust MS more with my CC details than pretty much any other online store.

Also the EULA does not contain the things you mentioned. I assume you read some inflammatory (yet wrong) article on the Web and believed every word.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this into a Windows versus Linux thing, I really don't :)

I care about telling users what W10 is, specifically. If people still want to use it after that, then it is their decision.

extracts from windows 10 privacy policy :

Block Quote

“Microsoft collects information about you, your devices, applications and networks, and your use of those devices, applications and networks. Examples of data we collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; and application usage.”

Block Quote

We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility” and “use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing.”

Block Quote

“If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of]it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you]enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spell check features.”

Block Quote

Microsoft may use your contact information (i) to communicate with you about your use of the Program software and services, and (ii) to provide you with additional information, which may be personalized, about the Program software and services, and other Microsoft and partner products and services. This contact may be by email, SMS, instant message, web chat, phone, in the user interface, or other means, and may include offers or ads.

You can see they never limit the usage of collected info. The full statement also says they will collect data from social networks when you connect to them.

This is the file from microsoft itself :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-privacy-statement

I'd really have preferred this to be some nonsense from a conspiracy website. But it comes from microsoft itself.

The automatic update feature is not present in the "pro" version, which incidentally is one that is supposed to be expensive, too. It will be sported in every free version, which the pi version is.

As far as credit card info go, store might get it, but usually they don't; i get redirected to my bank website for the transaction. Even if they do not, i care a lot more about what i write in files and emails than i do about credit card info, which i can revoke any time if necessary.

I don't care about windows vs linux, both have their pros and cons, i am using both. For anything work / server related, i use linux, because i have full control over it. Gaming / web browsing goes to windows. Some special software for embedded hardware only works on windows, so they go on my work computer, which has dual boot ability, and no network connection.

Woody1999 #17 Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:33 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 14716 battles
  • [D0NG] D0NG

I use Windows and Linux-based operating systems every single day, and I have no problem with either of them. While I absolutely adore the open-source nature of the Ubuntu 14.04 I'm using to type this very post with, I can't help but respect the sheer amount of effort gone into making the Windows series the most popular operating systems in the world.

If you plan on using a Raspberry Pi 2, however, don't use Windows 10 on it. While I will likely embrace Windows 10 the same way I did Windows 7 (with love and attention) - I have a desktop processor and 4GB of RAM behind it. No computer as small as the Pi will ever have the power to support Windows very well. Linux-based operating systems are much more lightweight - especially derivatives of Android and Lubuntu/Zorin OS 9 Lite.

Woody

war4peace #18 Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:16 PM

Colonel

• Translator
  • 26982 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
It's not as if I could not simply erase the SD and start over with another OS :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users