tech support

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Zefod42 #1 Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:50 AM

Private

• Player
  • 24525 battles

Hello everyone,

First off, if this is in the wrong place im sorry, i couldnt really find a better place to put it (couldnt find a tech support forum).

So, my problem is that where I live, the connection is really really bad. The line running to our house is really long and old, so on a good day we tend to get 1MB/s of downloading speed or so. Still this should be enough to run wot and TS easily. 

The thing is, as soon as someone loads up a youtube video or even a simple webpage my ping jumps up to 700 or higher. It seems that wot/my computer seems to get the lowest priority (or really low at least) on our network. Our provider is, to put it blundly, terrible so the standard firmware doesnt allow for any QoS features and such. 

So my question, is there any way i can ensure a stable 50 kps orso (from what i know that should be enough) to run wot even if others are browsing? If i could only prioritize wot it shouldnt really affect anything else since the bandwidth it needs isnt that big. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sukpee #2 Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:52 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 10946 battles
Go to Task Manager and set World of Tanks as priority over Bandiwidth through the Details tab. If that doesn't work then it's just your connection mate...

lcDumbPeople #3 Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:24 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 26520 battles
  • [-A-A-] -A-A-

View PostSukpee, on 18 August 2015 - 12:52 AM, said:

Go to Task Manager and set World of Tanks as priority over Bandiwidth through the Details tab. If that doesn't work then it's just your connection mate...

Im pretty sure that if "someone opens a YT video", it wont happen on his computer while he is playing

CircleOfSorrow #4 Posted 18 August 2015 - 04:31 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 29236 battles
This is a good question and I hope somebody has an answer.

I limit everything else but still occassionally have an issue.  Throttling torrent downloads to 300kb/s in the background seems to be fine, but if a pc in the house dowloads an update or a youtube vid gets loaded there is a chance that my tank will have a mind of it's own for two or three seconds.  Thankfully it has never happened to me in the middle of a brawl.

an0ther #5 Posted 18 August 2015 - 05:34 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37671 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

There's nothing you can do to throttle other computers from your own PC or cheaper consumer grade ADSL routers . What you'd need is proper router/firewall with QoS features. Devices like these are usually Enterprise level equipment that come with a hefty pricetag, starting from several hundred euros.

I used to have an ADSL router/firewall from Check Point and it was very useful to be able to cut DHCP from the kids when it was their bedtime, block undesired domains, and torrents at the router and prioritize my own PC over others. 

Gold_Firing_Noob #6 Posted 18 August 2015 - 07:53 AM

Sergeant

• Clan Diplomat
  • 21436 battles
  • [KHOG] KHOG

Not an expert but do know how to plug the cables in and turn it on from time to time ;-)

get a better than consumer grade router and then reserve bandwidth for the protocols and ports that are used by WOT. (they are listed on this forum)

This approach works for us and we are four gamers sharing a internet link.

-GFN-

MrClark56 #7 Posted 18 August 2015 - 08:02 AM

Major

• Player
  • 7283 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

i always have fights with the wifey when i play WOT. i try to shut down the Wifi so her tablet, phone and laptop doesn't eat my so precious bandwidth.. so it is a choice i make.. get good bandwidth and angry wife, or bad bandwidth and happy wife.. ( still unhappy that i am playing WOT though). but in the end i rage due to the bandwidth.

anyways OP my advice is.... simply play at times when everyone is asleep.. of shut down any wifi or other cable serving other people while you are playing.. you will get in trouble but the decrease in packet loss and increase in game play is totally worth it imo.

tcfreer #8 Posted 18 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Diplomat
  • 69157 battles
  • [BOBS_] BOBS_
Maybe look at those gamer network optimisation software. I can't remember the name but it gets advertised on YouTube and twitch some time.

TheR3dBaron #9 Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:36 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 36875 battles
  • [REMY] REMY

View Postan0ther, on 18 August 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

There's nothing you can do to throttle other computers from your own PC or cheaper consumer grade ADSL routers . What you'd need is proper router/firewall with QoS features. Devices like these are usually Enterprise level equipment that come with a hefty pricetag, starting from several hundred euros.

I used to have an ADSL router/firewall from Check Point and it was very useful to be able to cut DHCP from the kids when it was their bedtime, block undesired domains, and torrents at the router and prioritize my own PC over others. 

Exactly.

You could set up a linux box as a firewall/router, but it's rather advanced stuff you'd be doing. Let's say, if you have to ask the question, it's probably too difficult for you to configure.

edit: article to have an idea .... https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/330252:weekend-project-configuring-qos-for-linux-routers-gateways

I do have a DD-WRT router somewhere, but I don't have your problem ..

Edited by TheR3dBaron, 18 August 2015 - 10:40 AM.

Ceeb #10 Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:48 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 32730 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View Postan0ther, on 18 August 2015 - 04:34 AM, said:

This ^ 

Unless WG can control QoS over the interweb thingy anything you do will be local only. I run many Cisco ASAs at work and I cant control QoS how I like unless the ISP "marks" Qos  traffic as well, and then its only to the ISP not the to the interweb.

Edited by Ceeb, 18 August 2015 - 10:49 AM.

Schmeksiman #11 Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:49 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16739 battles
  • [INC] INC

When my bro or anyone in my family starts taking my bandwidth I have a simple solution, use my router admin access to disable their devices from using wi-fi.

100% success rate with my parents as they don't have a first clue what's going on and will just wait for net to come back while my bro is suspicious but doesn't know how the get admin access to our router. Basically he learnt his lesson not to download stuff while I'm playing.

Ceeb #12 Posted 18 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

Lieutenant General

• Beta Tester
  • 32730 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View PostSchmeksiman, on 18 August 2015 - 09:49 AM, said:

When my bro or anyone in my family starts taking my bandwidth I have a simple solution, use my router admin access to disable their devices from using wi-fi.

100% success rate with my parents as they don't have a first clue what's going on and will just wait for net to come back while my bro is suspicious but doesn't know how the get admin access to our router. Basically he learnt his lesson not to download stuff while I'm playing.

Yep, but higher end routers can limit the wireless bandwidth to the client.... :)

Or  set times that are random that the router blocks all other known clients then turns in on again. when they complain I use the same excuse for a Nav fix in the Navy. "Sorry sir, must be sun spots" 

Zedrick #13 Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 15431 battles

View Postan0ther, on 18 August 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

There's nothing you can do to throttle other computers from your own PC or cheaper consumer grade ADSL routers . What you'd need is proper router/firewall with QoS features. 

Most (if not all) SOHO-routers I've seen since 2003 or so (when I worked for Dlink) have had some form of QoS capabilities. A router without QoS today must be very cheap.

CroustibatFR #14 Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23408 battles

Netgear makes a cheap 5 ports switch that can do QoS. It is not a full fledged manageable switch, but it can do some stuff. And it costs around 30€ on amazon. Could the your solution.

Edited by CroustibatFR, 18 August 2015 - 11:45 AM.

an0ther #15 Posted 18 August 2015 - 11:52 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37671 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
This is just me assuming, but if the OP has around 1MB dl link, it just gets clogged by any video etc. What he would need is actually being able to set BW hard limits per network IP. Doing priorization tricks between network clients and the router wont help much unless you can control how much stuff a client is allowed to request from the ISP.

Edited by an0ther, 18 August 2015 - 11:53 AM.

Shrikeh #16 Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:01 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 15703 battles
  • [ARD] ARD

if you can get hold of 'Netlimiter' or another program like it, you can install it on the PC's in the household and limit the bandwidth the device is allowed to use (both up and down)

I did this when I had a slower connection and my two sons would always kill my WOT ping with browsing/Youtube

gl!

an0ther #17 Posted 18 August 2015 - 12:08 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37671 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostShrikeh, on 18 August 2015 - 01:01 PM, said:

if you can get hold of 'Netlimiter' or another program like it, you can install it on the PC's in the household and limit the bandwidth the device is allowed to use (both up and down)

I did this when I had a slower connection and my two sons would always kill my WOT ping with browsing/Youtube

gl!

TY for bringing this to my knowledge, gotta check this out. +1

EDIT: Google is your friend, you might want to look in to this : http://markmaunder.c...colleague-uses/

Edited by an0ther, 18 August 2015 - 12:38 PM.

CroustibatFR #18 Posted 18 August 2015 - 01:29 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23408 battles

The switch i was talking about :

http://www.amazon.fr...=netgear switch

(there is also an 8 ports for a few more €;)

I used net limiter, but it needs to be installed on the computer that makes a bridge between your network and other computers, or on each computer; and it needs to keep running. Once users notice it, they usually close the program.

The "half manageable" switch above will be way less hassle.

Gkirmathal #19 Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:31 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 8602 battles
  • [2VTD] 2VTD

View Postan0ther, on 18 August 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

This is just me assuming, but if the OP has around 1MB dl link, it just gets clogged by any video etc. What he would need is actually being able to set BW hard limits per network IP. Doing priorization tricks between network clients and the router wont help much unless you can control how much stuff a client is allowed to request from the ISP.

To be frank, what is the use of limiting his bw to one IP if his ADSL(/Cable) connection is as bad as it is?

Might just be his isra point is just too far away from his nearest telephone exchange and he cannot do anything about his issue. Other then contacting his ISP for a solution or switching ISP's.

I do not know where the OP is from. But in some parts of my country, the Netherlands, 4g coverage gives much better connection speed/latency in rural area's vs old existing copper networks or non existing networks in those places.

Might be his region has some similar solutions.

an0ther #20 Posted 18 August 2015 - 02:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 37671 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostGkirmathal, on 18 August 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

To be frank, what is the use of limiting his bw to one IP if his ADSL(/Cable) connection is as bad as it is?

Might just be his isra point is just too far away from his nearest telephone exchange and he cannot do anything about his issue. Other then contacting his ISP for a solution or switching ISP's.

I do not know where the OP is from. But in some parts of my country, the Netherlands, 4g coverage gives much better connection speed/latency in rural area's vs old existing copper networks or non existing networks in those places.

Might be his region has some similar solutions.

It helps in the way that it tells the application (like Youtube etc.) requesting data that the available BW is low, meaning that for example Youtube does not try to request HD video, when only 480p can be viewed smoothly, resulting in less congestion on the bad ISP line.

Also tagged with tech support

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users