Do you like arty in its current state?

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like arty in its current state? (316 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you like arty in its current state?

1. Yes (95 votes [30.06%])

Percentage of vote: 30.06%

2. No (221 votes [69.94%])

Percentage of vote: 69.94%

Vote Hide poll

Boo_Bee #41 Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:28 AM

Clan Commander

• Clan Commander
  • 48302 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

Seriously what will this poll achieve except another arty rant post?

However I love bias polls. Let's start more.

1. Unicum Heavy tank players, do you like mediums?

2. Unicum Medium tank players do you like heavies?

3. Unicum TD players do you like lights?

4. Unicum Arty players do you like arty haters?

5. Unicum Squirrels do you hate nuts?

None of those can be predicted as over 50% yes.

A suggestion to make this thread constructive is to forbid the word "broken" and ask the question............

"Assuming that arty will remain in the game and you had free hands to change the way they appear in the game,  how can the class be inproved".

zikkon #42 Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:33 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38353 battles
  • [ZIGI] ZIGI

View PostStanleyTweedle, on 21 August 2015 - 08:28 AM, said:

"Assuming that arty will remain in the game and you had free hands to change the way they appear in the game,  how can the class be inproved".

Give them 1 shell per game only?

Boo_Bee #43 Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:40 AM

Clan Commander

• Clan Commander
  • 48302 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

View Postzikkon, on 21 August 2015 - 09:33 AM, said:

Give them 1 shell per game only?

I like the way you think..... 5 second reload and 500m splash? :trollface:

zikkon #44 Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:43 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38353 battles
  • [ZIGI] ZIGI

View PostStanleyTweedle, on 21 August 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

I like the way you think..... 5 second reload and 500m splash? :trollface:

Might as well - they will waste it on a suicide scout and make the game enjoyable later on :)

1stWarlord #45 Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:44 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25168 battles

View PostOrkel2, on 20 August 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

Arty is broken and destroys any kind of dynamic and aggressive gameplay

True ,had a game on ... How's that bloody map called... Yeah ,Redshire ,was in my M103 ,went the heavy tank line ,decimated some tier 8 tanks and I decided to push. The moment I went out of arty cover I died. It just ruined the fun for me. I want to have fun ,shoot enemy tanks ,do damage ,have a laugh , but I can't really do that if I'm dead or if I'm camping behind a big rock.

Gorthol #46 Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:45 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 14378 battles

I'd be more interested in hearing logical and tangible reasons as to why people think Arty is ok and why the mechanic should be in the game...

I appreciate it doesn't happen every time but even if it happens once - why should someone able to to explode my tank with no warning? And with no risk to themselves and with me powerless to stop it...

Why?

What justification is there for someone being able to do that?

Anyone?!?!?

zauliuz #47 Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:46 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 52289 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1

View PostOrkel2, on 21 August 2015 - 12:52 AM, said:

Arty is broken and destroys any kind of dynamic and aggressive gameplay

you mean aggressive camping in bushes? :) 

btw arty should disable most dangerous targets.. just sayin.. 

so maybe create poll to remove xvm?

Edited by zauliuz, 21 August 2015 - 09:48 AM.

1stWarlord #48 Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:48 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25168 battles

In my mind ,there are 2 ways of fixing arty:

1. Hardcap  it to 2 per team and dont go higher than tier 8.
  2. Just let the people chose if they want to play games with arty or without it. If you want to play with arty ,you tick a box in the settings ,if you don't ,you untick it. Just like enabling encounter/assault. Everyone will be happy. Queues will be just slightly longer for arty players but ,I think that we already estabilished that only the 1% of wot players are unicums & hate arty.

Evil_Mungo #49 Posted 21 August 2015 - 09:51 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Clan Commander
  • 28225 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Seriously what will this poll achieve except another arty rant post?

However I love bias polls. Let's start more.

There can't be that many rant threads.  Surely everyone loves the arty mechanic?

Block Quote

1. Unicum Heavy tank players, do you like mediums?

Yes

Block Quote

2. Unicum Medium tank players do you like heavies?

Yes

Block Quote

3. Unicum TD players do you like lights?

Yes

Block Quote

4. Unicum Arty players do you like arty haters?

What a ridiculous question.  The reason you had to ask it in that way is because the only counter to arty is arty.  That's hilarious.

Block Quote

A suggestion to make this thread constructive is to forbid the word "broken" and ask the question............

Arty is broken, that's why the suggestions are needed.

• Greatly decrease damage
  • Greatly decrease reload time
  • Arty cannot track
  • Increase splash range
  • Arty is more accurate the further away it is from the enemy.  Very inaccurate at its shortest distance
  • Minimum firing distance - cannot fire at close objects (attacking players are now not targeted unless arty re-positions to the opposite flank which is dangerous).  Campers are now the food of choice.
  • Greatly increase speed
  • Smoke screens
  • Arty firing can be heard by all players as a distant booming sound

Edited by Evil_Mungo, 21 August 2015 - 09:52 AM.

Boo_Bee #50 Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:05 AM

Clan Commander

• Clan Commander
  • 48302 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

View PostEvil_Mungo, on 21 August 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:

• Greatly decrease damage
  • Greatly decrease reload time
  • Arty cannot track
  • Increase splash range
  • Arty is more accurate the further away it is from the enemy.  Very inaccurate at its shortest distance
  • Minimum firing distance - cannot fire at close objects (attacking players are now not targeted unless arty re-positions to the opposite flank which is dangerous).  Campers are now the food of choice.
  • Greatly increase speed
  • Smoke screens
  • Arty firing can be heard by all players as a distant booming sound

Interesting. (Even though the word "broken" snuck in lol).

Cobra6 #51 Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16505 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

Arty in it's current state is not good for the game, especially in T8 and above.

Cobra 6

NineMonthsAndItsYouSadly #52 Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47712 battles
  • [_CHS_] _CHS_

First thing - the poll for unicums on a forum? Kinda pointless. You can't sort out unicum/non unicum votes. And the answer for this question was quite obvious from the beginning. Im not trying to undermine your thoughts on the subject - I sympathise with your cause anyway.
I don't like arty in current state or in any state at all :D

1) RNG based class
But first thing first. Arty is not all about luck. There are players who do well in arty and those who suck in them. No matter how much we hate artas - they still require some skill (like using WSAD keys when you have to find different angle on a target etc). But there is also no denying in fact that artas are also annoying to those who play them. I did too. Amount of missed shots is friggin unbelievable (maybe its my fault I played german artas, not russkies). You can do everything there is to be done. Fully aim at a stationary tank, click and miss a mile away. Is this fair? No. Would it be fair to hit a target every time? No.

2) what is to blame? arta or xvm?
Let's focus on the current state. Artas are still a part of the game. It doesn't matter how much we dislike them. I think OP made it quite clear why unicums dislike artas. No question about it. And I also think it's quite clear why arty players focus on unicums. XVM tells them who to focus on unicums if they feel to do so (I know examples when arty players avoid xvm focus but yeah- a drop in the ocean). In any other class they  wouldn't be able to do such things unless they want to do suicide rush which is as stupid as arty xvm focus. What's the main problem? Arty or xvm? Well im a simple person who thinks of simplest solutions which most of the time are simply the best. There wouldn't be arty xvm focus if there wasn't arty in the game. Yeah, yeah. Hate on me clickers :P

3) AW vs WoT arta gameplay model
I saw how it's done in Armored Warfare. Still it's similar to WoT arty gameplay model but it's far more challenging for arty players. Game mechanic provides them great advantage of a vision from above and shooting over great distances and they can still make accurate shots. I know this is simply an arcade game, not a realistic game. It would be boring class to play without vision from above etc. I think AW developers are at least trying to balance those things and they are doing a great job with it. Artas are not some sacred cows who can sit in the back doing nothing but move mouse and point and click and they only worry about arty counter (which is ridiculous as well). I wouldn't mind if WoT developers turned their minds to a reason but I think they won't - it would mean that the competition is ahead of them in this subject. Too much pride, too small balls.

To sum up:

a) remove arta in the current state
b) admit you are doing it wrong and do something about it

Voted no.

Edited by SPANIELfromPOLAND, 21 August 2015 - 11:18 AM.

1stWarlord #53 Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:53 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25168 battles

View PostSPANIELfromPOLAND, on 21 August 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

First thing - the poll for unicums on a forum? Kinda pointless. You can't sort out unicum/non unicum votes. And the answer for this question was quite obvious from the beginning. Im not trying to undermine your thoughts on the subject - I sympathise with your cause anyway.
I don't like arty in current state or in any state at all :D

1) RNG based class
But first thing first. Arty is not all about luck. There are players who do well in arty and those who suck in them. No matter how much we hate artas - they still require some skill (like using WSAD keys when you have to find different angle on a target etc). But there is also no denying in fact that artas are also annoying to those who play them. I did too. Amount of missed shots is friggin unbelievable (maybe its my fault I played german artas, not russkies). You can do everything there is to be done. Fully aim at a stationary tank, click and miss a mile away. Is this fair? No. Would it be fair to hit a target every time? No.

2) what is to blame? arta or xvm?
Let's focus on the current state. Artas are still a part of the game. It doesn't matter how much we dislike them. I think OP made it quite clear why unicums dislike artas. No question about it. And I also think it's quite clear why arty players focus on unicums. XVM tells them who to focus on if they feel to do so (I know examples when arty players avoid xvm focus but yeah- a drop in the ocean). In any other class they  wouldn't be able to do such things unless they want to do suicide rush which is as stupid as arty xvm focus. What's the main problem? Arty or xvm? Well im a simple person who thinks of simplest solutions which most of the time are simply the best. There wouldn't be arty xvm focus if there wasn't arty in the game. Yeah, yeah. Hate on me clickers :P

3) AW vs WoT arta gameplay model
I saw how it's done in Armored Warfare. Still it's similar to WoT arty gameplay model but it's far more challenging for arty players. Game mechanic provides them great advantage of a vision from above and shooting over great distances and they can still make accurate shots. I know this is simply an arcade game, not a realistic game. It would be boring class to play without vision from above etc. I think AW developers are at least trying to balance those things and they are doing a great job with it. Artas are not some sacred cows who can sit in the back doing nothing but move mouse and point and click and they only worry about arty counter (which is ridiculous as well). I wouldn't mind if WoT developers turned their minds to a reason but I think they won't - it would mean that the competition is ahead of them in this subject. Too much pride, too small balls.

To sum up:

a) remove arta in the current state
b) admit you are doing it wrong and do something about it

Voted no.

Pretty good response ,thank you :)!

Enforcer1975 #54 Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 21565 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View PostCobra6, on 21 August 2015 - 10:41 AM, said:

Arty in it's current state is not good for the game, especially in T8 and above.

Cobra 6

Tbh arty is a joke up to T6 had this game in my T150 where the tanks surrounding me were more of a danger and those iirc 3 arty were more than less annoying...they missed 90% of their shots anyway the rest did minor damage. T7 doesn't really hit reliably but when it hits it hurts, can't really recall T8 to be that awesome unless in good hands T9+ can be frustrating when you get hit though and they have better accuracy too. Just place a couple of T10 into T11-13 especially the modern meds keep arty capped at T10 problem solved. 

Edited by Enforcer1975, 21 August 2015 - 11:02 AM.

zikkon #55 Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:31 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38353 battles
  • [ZIGI] ZIGI

View PostEnforcer1975, on 21 August 2015 - 10:01 AM, said:

T9+ can be frustrating when you get hit though and they have better accuracy too. Just place a couple of T10 into T11-13 especially the modern meds keep arty capped at T10 problem solved. 

They are also frustrating even if they miss you by a meter because of the (huge) splash.

NineMonthsAndItsYouSadly #56 Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47712 battles
  • [_CHS_] _CHS_

View Postzikkon, on 21 August 2015 - 11:31 AM, said:

They are also frustrating even if they miss you by a meter because of the (huge) splash.

"my shot missed you for 800 dmg" :D fair and balanced

zikkon #57 Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 38353 battles
  • [ZIGI] ZIGI
As for arty balance and splash damage - yesterday CW with my CGC on mines - 11 shots fired, 4 direct hits, 7 splashes, 8.5k damage done :P

Lol_N00b #58 Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:39 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 8561 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

View PostEvil_Mungo, on 21 August 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

• Arty cannot track

Why, if light tanks can track too? Even bottom tier tanks can still track.

View PostEvil_Mungo, on 21 August 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

• Increase splash range

Why would these be accepted by the majority of arty haters even if the damage would be reduced and the ability to be tracked would be removed? As I have understood, the very idea of indirect fire (also know as no line of sight) is an abomination and a reason for the arty to be completely removed? Buff arty in any way even while nerfing it elsewhere, and the majority of arty haters will still only get more angry.

Element6 #59 Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31059 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postsomegras, on 20 August 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

You want to find unicums that dislike arty? Pfff, easy. Get me one that supports arty as a class, then we'll talk.

More than one have show their face, and shared their opinion, in the SPG section of this forum. Just saying.

somegras #60 Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:45 AM

General

• Player
  • 49969 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostElement6, on 21 August 2015 - 12:44 PM, said:

More than one have show their face, and shared their opinion, in the SPG section of this forum. Just saying.

The SPG section? I have never gone there before, for obvious reasons. ^^

Edit: *Looks at where the thread is located* Woops. Anyway, in my defense, it was originally posted in General Discussions. ^^

Edited by somegras, 21 August 2015 - 11:47 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users