Do you like arty in its current state?

• Please log in to reply
264 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you like arty in its current state? (316 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 250 battles in order to participate this poll.

Do you like arty in its current state?

1. Yes (95 votes [30.06%])

Percentage of vote: 30.06%

2. No (221 votes [69.94%])

Percentage of vote: 69.94%

Vote Hide poll

who_dares_wins #61 Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3077 battles

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 20 August 2015 - 11:14 PM, said:

Seriously, has anyone here ever spoken to a unicum who said "Change arty? Nah, it's fine the way it is!"?

once

Element6 #62 Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31059 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postsomegras, on 21 August 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

The SPG section? I have never gone there before, for obvious reasons. ^^

There really is no need since 99% of all arty threads are created in the General section :sceptic:

Enforcer1975 #63 Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 21565 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View PostSPANIELfromPOLAND, on 21 August 2015 - 11:33 AM, said:

"my shot missed you for 800 dmg" :D fair and balanced

If you consider how much explosives you have in such a huge shell compared to a tank shell which is actually only a slug it's balanced enough. You can be happy they didn't add a more realistic splash radius or else your tank would probably be detracked and had it's external components damaged beyond repair from a "near miss" even beyond 25m.

NineMonthsAndItsYouSadly #64 Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:38 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47712 battles
  • [_CHS_] _CHS_

View PostEnforcer1975, on 21 August 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

If you consider how much explosives you have in such a huge shell compared to a tank shell which is actually only a slug it's balanced enough. You can be happy they didn't add a more realistic splash radius or else your tank would probably be detracked and had it's external components damaged beyond repair from a "near miss" even beyond 25m.
I think you missed the point. Every arty player tries to hit a target. They miss a lot and they still do dmg. I feel sometimes missed shots do more dmg then direct hits (if they land close enough). Is it skill we are talking about? Competitiveness? Do arty players have so much control over their shots we can talk about   pure skill and competitiveness?
http://www.twitch.tv/sirfoch/v/8415390
Do you think it happened because Foch is a skilled player? Because he is purple and he knows things others don't? E-Sports!!!! Like I said - arty is a RNG based class (well, every class is RNG based class to some degree but arty is particular in this case).

Edited by SPANIELfromPOLAND, 21 August 2015 - 12:40 PM.

Enforcer1975 #65 Posted 21 August 2015 - 12:58 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 21565 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View PostSPANIELfromPOLAND, on 21 August 2015 - 12:38 PM, said:

I think you missed the point. Every arty player tries to hit a target. They miss a lot and they still do dmg. I feel sometimes missed shots do more dmg then direct hits (if they land close enough). Is it skill we are talking about? Competitiveness? Do arty players have so much control over their shots we can talk about   pure skill and competitiveness?
http://www.twitch.tv/sirfoch/v/8415390
Do you think it happened because Foch is a skilled player? Because he is purple and he knows things others don't? E-Sports!!!! Like I said - arty is a RNG based class (well, every class is RNG based class to some degree but arty is particular in this case).

I guess your feeling is a bit biased. From my experience a near miss will not do a lot of damage, i regularly get over a third of normal damage but rarely half damage on my S-51 and even direct hits with HE or premium HE are no guarantee for a one hit kill from the front. Most one hits were from a hit directly to the side mainly on the rear end or hits when tanks were angled around 45° from the incoming shot but also either at the engine deck or at an unangled front f.e. a pike nosed IS and even then a bigger portion of them were scored with AP and premium HE mainly on the turret top, side or engine deck. And for those who have survived there were quite a few who didn't even get tracked after a hit.

NineMonthsAndItsYouSadly #66 Posted 21 August 2015 - 01:05 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47712 battles
  • [_CHS_] _CHS_

View PostEnforcer1975, on 21 August 2015 - 12:58 PM, said:

I guess your feeling is a bit biased. From my experience a near miss will not do a lot of damage, i regularly get over a third of normal damage but rarely half damage on my S-51 and even direct hits with HE or premium HE are no guarantee for a one hit kill from the front. Most one hits were from a hit directly to the side mainly on the rear end or hits when tanks were angled around 45° from the incoming shot but also either at the engine deck or at an unangled front f.e. a pike nosed IS and even then a bigger portion of them were scored with AP and premium HE mainly on the turret top, side or engine deck. And for those who have survived there were quite a few who didn't even get tracked after a hit.

Ive seen enough in my time. Sometimes one arty hits me directly for 600 dmg (hits me in strong part of my tank) and in next shot does 800 dmg when his shot somehow lands under my tank (then splash dmg will do more dmg against weaker part of armor). This is no bias, this is reality. Of course it doesnt happen on regular basis. I think I made myself clear in my previous post - it happens sometimes.

1stWarlord #67 Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:07 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25168 battles

View PostSPANIELfromPOLAND, on 21 August 2015 - 12:05 PM, said:

Ive seen enough in my time. Sometimes one arty hits me directly for 600 dmg (hits me in strong part of my tank) and in next shot does 800 dmg when his shot somehow lands under my tank (then splash dmg will do more dmg against weaker part of armor). This is no bias, this is reality. Of course it doesnt happen on regular basis. I think I made myself clear in my previous post - it happens sometimes.

Yeah ,I was in my STB-1; was cruising around at 50 km/h and bang splash for 1100 damage from t92 ;\.

samuelx43a #68 Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25656 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

id rather have artilerry to use a less dice rolling mechanic. i mean. my m12 ranges from hitting everything thaen to not being able to hit a still scout at 50 meters.

id be happy if they did the mechanic close to "a certain modern tank game"

SilentFear #69 Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:42 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 26348 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostEnforcer1975, on 21 August 2015 - 11:25 AM, said:

If they add more realistic mechanic - you will never splash a single tank - so its you who should be happy.

NineMonthsAndItsYouSadly #70 Posted 21 August 2015 - 04:53 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 47712 battles
  • [_CHS_] _CHS_

View PostSilentFear, on 21 August 2015 - 04:42 PM, said:

If they add more realistic mechanic - you will never splash a single tank - so its you who should be happy.

Or they wouldn't get eagle eye vision in the first place :P

Enforcer1975 #71 Posted 21 August 2015 - 05:54 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 21565 battles
  • [DID0] DID0

View PostSilentFear, on 21 August 2015 - 04:42 PM, said:

I'm already quite happy that they don't hit as much as a minority wants to make the majority believe. You see if it's hits unica and blunica most of the time that are probably not even 5% of the playerbase the hit / splash ratio can't be that much.

Edited by Enforcer1975, 21 August 2015 - 05:55 PM.

SilentFear #72 Posted 21 August 2015 - 07:17 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 26348 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostEnforcer1975, on 21 August 2015 - 04:54 PM, said:

I'm already quite happy that they don't hit as much as a minority wants to make the majority believe. You see if it's hits unica and blunica most of the time that are probably not even 5% of the playerbase the hit / splash ratio can't be that much.

Yet apperently we are not so few as 5% considering WG themselfs admited that arty is botchet mechanic and they will re-work it ?

Maybe the reds also dislike it as they are hte most paying customers ( no CW, ESL gold so to speak )....

P.S. Yes they dont hit as much really - thats why they splash you for 50% of your hp .... that is if you are good player not hugging your own arty behind a rock and touching him gently lol.

Grimhildir #73 Posted 21 August 2015 - 11:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 23617 battles
  • [-B2C-] -B2C-
Funny how a lot of you say arty promotes camping, while in my limited experience,  the campy games are where I do well in Arty, while dynamic games make me work hard to get any damage in. I rush more shots, shoot more moving targets, all to the detriment of my performance.

Eila_Juutilainen #74 Posted 22 August 2015 - 06:50 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21385 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND

View PostSilentFear, on 21 August 2015 - 07:17 PM, said:

Yet apperently we are not so few as 5% considering WG themselfs admited that arty is botchet mechanic and they will re-work it ?

Show me where they admitted that. The fact that they're going to take steps to make it better doesn't mean they think it's bad right now. Also, the 5% figure that Enforcer mentions has nothing to do with anti-arty opinion, but top percentage of players. Unicums are the top 1% of players, and deep blue are the top 5% IIRC.

Edited by Eila_Juutilainen, 22 August 2015 - 06:51 AM.

CausticSoda #75 Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:47 AM

Private

• Player
  • 42881 battles
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6

Arty are so overpowered, as soon as a tank is spotted they one shot it! They are so easy to play. Always top damage.

Oh wait lets check some of that....

Most dmg from ANY level or type of tanks, lets see where the arty is in the list. Is it first? erm no actually on average its a heavy. Maybe next on the list? No thats a TD. Followed by 2 more heavies...... Sooooo where does the arty get on the dmg list? erm 35th......

OK I am being unfair, people hate the one shot kills and high single dmg shots. So arty MUST be top of that list!!! erm no thats held by a heavy, in fact the top 3 spots are all heavies for the highest dmg PER SHOT average. Arty actually gets 4th position here for the conqueror gun carriage but wait that just had a nerf so maybe its gone. So are 5th 6th and 7th places all arty? erm no, next arty is 14th spot.

So we have a tank type that isnt the best for dmg per shot, isnt the best dmg per game but occasionally managed to get a decent shot and one shots a tanks. Yes it is a tactical tank but there are many maps (most city ones) when you sigh when playing an arty and realise that you are likely to die before you even hit anything unlike any other type.

More interesting stat comparisons....

Highest win rate tanks - arty starts at 20th.

Highest average xp per game - arty starts at 139th.

Highest average credit per game - arty starts at 70th.

Arty is already a highly nerfed tanks that has occasional good games where the whole idea of it is to take tanks out of the game either by destroying them or taking a lot of hps off them. They generally only get played for missions.

Check out any unicum, the majority of them play Heavies and meds with maybe some TD's.

If you want xp, winrate, credits etc than arty is NOT the tank to play. I personally only play mine because I enjoy the style of play, it is different and fun (just about for now).

People whine but if they get hit by a fast firing tank that kills them in 5 shots, thats OK but not if they get killed in 1 or 2 from an arty???? /boggle

Yes I die to arty but as I play arty I am generally aware of where they can fire, how long they take etc etc. They are not fast firing, not instant aiming and certainly generally accurate and rarely get superb damage hits. In fact recently I am seeing a LOT of HE rounds just hitting a tank and doing ZERO dmg, not even track dmg.

Personally I see them as negatively balanced at the moment but I would be happy to see them more like French arty as faster firing, more accurate but less dmg.

CausticSoda #76 Posted 22 August 2015 - 10:57 AM

Private

• Player
  • 42881 battles
  • [BRIT6] BRIT6

Block Quote

Yeah ,I was in my STB-1; was cruising around at 50 km/h and bang splash for 1100 damage from t92 ;\. 

I was in my "random" tank and a T49 shot me for 500 dmg and burnt me to death.

I was in my "random" tank and a opponent random tank hit me in the ammorack and one shot me.

There are plenty of occasions when people have selective memory about something noticeable. Arty's method of attack is more noticeable but NOT more overpowered than other tanks (see stats above).

How many times has this happened to you in your STB-1? By the nature of you recalling it so well I suspect only once. Hardly overpowered is it? Yes annoying to a good player like you as you struggle to combat the random nature but thats life. I suspect good players like you don't have too much trouble with arty as you move. But with your stats yes arty will be highly likely to focus on you, same as TD's etc.

SilentFear #77 Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:13 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 26348 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostCausticSoda, on 22 August 2015 - 09:47 AM, said:

snip

VK 45B - one of the most broken t9 heavy tonk - avarage dmg 1600

Bat Chat arty - 1752 avarage dmg.

FV3805 - 1789 avarage dmg.

Yes indeed arty is gud.

But its fine brah - WG is improving arty by REWORKING it lol.

Darth_Clicker #78 Posted 22 August 2015 - 01:09 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 59673 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE
and when WG reworks arty, and it does not matter the result of the rework, the same people whining about arty will continue to whine.  And it does not matter about the skill level of the whiner either. The reason why you do not see many highly skilled players complaining about arty is because the are highly skilled enough so that arty does not affect them a lot. The ones that do complain do so because they are either too lazy or lacking in ability to improve their success rate with the game as it is...so they try to get the game changed to help themselves. 

Element6 #79 Posted 22 August 2015 - 02:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31059 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostSilentFear, on 22 August 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

I'm just going to leave this here for future reference.

who_dares_wins #80 Posted 22 August 2015 - 03:51 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3077 battles

View PostSilentFear, on 22 August 2015 - 12:13 PM, said:

VK 45B - one of the most broken t9 heavy tonk - avarage dmg 1600

Bat Chat arty - 1752 avarage dmg.

FV3805 - 1789 avarage dmg.

Yes indeed arty is gud.

soo, your point is: arty OP nerf pls? wut?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users