Version 9.10: Team Battles and Maps

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:32 PM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
The latest update has introduced some significant changes to how Team Battles are played and the availability of maps for certain vehicle tiers.

Full news text

H311fi5h #2 Posted 03 September 2015 - 03:52 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 41278 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

This is nice. I'd like to see more informational articles like this. It helps to bring transparency, something World of Tanks badly needs (just saying hidden stats etc.)

Now give us the team battle missions already!

Elhazzared #3 Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 20486 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
  • Specific Maps matching to battle tier: Map availability determines the convenient tiers for each map. For instance, large maps are not suitable for low-tier battles and vice versa.

And yet, mines is available at high tiers when it's a map where getting in the central hill spots the whole map, there is virtually no place to set a TD where he can't be seen, even firing from outside vision range because there is no outside of vision range.

Funny how WG recognised that small maps are bad for high tier but keeps insisting on having mines at all tiers.

Also map avaiabillity depends on the tier you are playing at... What WG fails to tell you is that it actually isn't determined by the tier of the tank you pick when you go into battle but rather the max tier of the battle you're put in. So, if I grab a tier 3 and get into a tier 5 battle (where almost all tier 3 tanks are completly useless safe for a couple TDs) then I get all the maps available up to tier 5.

If wargamming really wanted to make the game balance proper it would start by addressing the tier dispersion so as not to make it go more than a tier up or down because many tanks becomes useless when 2 tier up, especially at lower tiers.

Then they would rebalance the lower tier tanks to make sure they played the same as a high tier tank. Meaning proper positioning and sidescraping and such things would effectively work instead of either having nearly invunerable tanks like the matilda or tanks whose armor is made of wet paper. There is no middle ground at all. Then the guns of the tanks would also be proportional to be usable against it's own tier or 1 tier above. You know, the eact kind of balance that exists from tier 8 up.

Next they would properly shift the maps so that small maps are esclusive for low tiers and big maps are esclusive for high tiers. Again, mines is a small map but available at all tiers. This needs to be addressed.

Lastly they should address which type of tanks enter the maps. Artillery and scouts should not enter city maps. Very slow tanks like the tog or T95 should not end up in huge wide open maps... All of those obvious things that any normal person would expect from game balance to exist.

Of course, WG being what it is will just ignore all of these things. Just as it has for all these years, just as it has ignored the widely requested skill based MM. Then again I suppose they can get away with it since they don't have a proper competitor in the market.

Jimbodiah #4 Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:06 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 9433 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF
Had a team battle where we started out on the red starting point and had two red cap circles that did not start a countdown when we went into the. Turns out when the red team went into the red cap circle they started capping. Yes, WG logic.

guest273 #5 Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:10 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 35394 battles
  • Simplifying the adaptation for new players to the game: The map set available for newcomers on low tiers has been changed. Now there are more simple and understandable maps that allow players to learn the basic game mechanics of World of Tanks.

Yeah, Mittengard and Mines are really good maps for beginners to learn how to GTFO ignore camo and view range. Good job.

Or you wanna tell me the basics of the game is to run on a street with a tank and shoot enemies while almost face-hugging them?

H311fi5h #6 Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:34 PM

Second Lieutenant

• WGL PRO Player
  • 41278 battles
  • [IDEAL] IDEAL

View PostSixDasherr, on 03 September 2015 - 04:06 PM, said:

Had a team battle where we started out on the red starting point and had two red cap circles that did not start a countdown when we went into the. Turns out when the red team went into the red cap circle they started capping. Yes, WG logic.

Guess it was Ghost Town?

For some reason the team colors are swapped. In training rooms it also shows your spawn on the wrong side.

cornish_snowdog #7 Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:55 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15374 battles
Sad to see that Province has gone.I have a soft spot for that map from starting out. Hidden village I will not miss!

who_dares_wins #8 Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:10 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3065 battles
Bore the new players by making them play 2 maps over and over? :facepalm:

VTanKe #9 Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:18 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 29283 battles

ttp://static-ptl-eu.gcdn.co/dcont/fb/image/wot_infographicsadoptation_phil_01_eng.jpg

http://static-ptl-eu...l_02_v2_eng.jpg

this is total * * * [edited]

Edited by Neilloss46, 05 September 2015 - 03:27 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. Neilloss46

Jimbodiah #10 Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:20 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 9433 battles
  • [HOFF] HOFF

View PostH311fi5h, on 03 September 2015 - 04:34 PM, said:

Guess it was Ghost Town?

For some reason the team colors are swapped. In training rooms it also shows your spawn on the wrong side.

Yep, Ghost Town. Two teams being like "wtf?!".

Wumbolo #11 Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:29 PM

Private

• Player
  • 7426 battles
  • [CROAT] CROAT
I hate this change! I will sell all your tier 2 gift tanks because I don't want to play on so few maps.

laserad #12 Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:52 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32949 battles
map repeats are worse than 9.9.... i play the same map 4 times in a row

kenjara #13 Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4568 battles
  • [WSPRT] WSPRT
Are you going to offer refunds on tier 3 tanks as you have practically made them worthless now with just 3 maps?

Verblonde #14 Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:10 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2363 battles
Perhaps a way to avoid boring the pants off people at lower tiers might be to relate numbers of available maps to numbers of battles fought (assuming that roughly relates to experience): two maps at lower tiers until you've played, say, 50-100 battles and then ramp up from there?

Complete newcomers get a couple of easy maps to begin with, allowing them to get to grips with game-play etc; more established players can then still use their lower tier tanks on a larger range of maps without getting bored and [edited].

Edited by Neilloss46, 05 September 2015 - 03:29 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content. Neilloss46

kenjara #15 Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4568 battles
  • [WSPRT] WSPRT

View PostVerblonde, on 03 September 2015 - 06:10 PM, said:

Perhaps a way to avoid boring the pants off people at lower tiers might be to relate numbers of available maps to numbers of battles fought (assuming that roughly relates to experience): two maps at lower tiers until you've played, say, 50-100 battles and then ramp up from there?

Complete newcomers get a couple of easy maps to begin with, allowing them to get to grips with game-play etc; more established players can then still use their lower tier tanks on a larger range of maps without getting bored and [edited].

Something like that needs to happen.

The different tiers offer different game play experiences.

It can be just as much fun to zip around with the smaller tanks as it is to play tier 10.

Skill is not really a relevant factor other than the obvious fact that new comers start at tier 1.

Zhu_Bajie #16 Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16954 battles
As I already stated in another forum thread, the change to map distribution especially for low tier tanks, annoys the annoys the heck out of me.
WG should basically be offering refunds for all those tier 2-4 premium tanks, that now are left with a lot less content and tactical variety.

There simply has to be a better way to make life for beginners easier than this.
As others in this thread have stated, those two maps do not teach beginners anything than roll out and line up in front of the enemy.
Those players who, including me, enjoy their low tier premium and regular tanks will be bored to death by playing on the same maps over and over and over and over and ov...
New players will feel the same, trust me.

The first impression for new players will be how utterly boring it is to play world of tanks (on so very limited number of maps), while they will keep on getting ripped to shreds by more experienced players and re-rolls alike.
this changes nothing for the better and makes everything worse - this way new players will learn absolutely nothing and have acquired bad habits before they get to tier 5, where it will really begin to hurt - that is if they even get this far without dying of boredom ;)

jagdcommander #17 Posted 03 September 2015 - 06:53 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 38673 battles

View PostVerblonde, on 03 September 2015 - 06:10 PM, said:

I suggested something similar on another thread but this is quite a good idea. Maybe even unlock a new map every 500 games played?

As for protecting newbies from seal-clubbers, just make sure all players with < 1000 games play against others with similar experience.

HeadsUp #18 Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:46 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15395 battles
  • [ARRSE] ARRSE

Game keeps crashing/freezing my machine (Desktop far  exceeding the min specs - all drivers are up to date) - 60% of the time I am forced to re-boot my machine after a crash/freeze.

This really isn't good enough for a game where I am paying....

Grinnen_Baeritt #19 Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 64610 battles
  • [RTRUK] RTRUK

View Postjagdcommander, on 03 September 2015 - 06:53 PM, said:

I suggested something similar on another thread but this is quite a good idea. Maybe even unlock a new map every 500 games played?

As for protecting newbies from seal-clubbers, just make sure all players with < 1000 games play against others with similar experience.

It really is a VERY poor choice for WG to make. But seriously does this surprise anyone, especially with the screwed up MM that appears to be an ever increasing regularity?

I thoroughly agree, Increasing map variety with some measure of experience is the most advantageous way to go.

You have played NO games...you start on 1-3 starting maps.... or perhaps as part of the New tutorial... rather than the firing range thingy.

Then perhaps the variety should also increase with the maximum tier of tank in your garage... you research/purchase a tier II tank, add another 3 maps to the stable, tier III, add another 3.

Therefore, you OWN a tier 3 tank, you get a wider variety of maps should you play a tier 1 tank, than you would if you only owned a tier 2.

This has the knock on effect that beginners are sheltered for a few games but only because the more experienced players might end up on other maps.

Personally, having the starting crews at 100% and the bonuses that can be earned during the tutorials is quite a massive advantage enough over the beginners who didn't get those advantages when they started (and were preyed on by the more experienced players). That's an experience in itself.

Personally, I like playing low-tier battles.. mainly because most of them are where you see "real" tanks (not blue-prints or that never saw service). 

CokoladnaTortica #20 Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

Private

• Player
  • 26949 battles
What about new maps? Berlin map i remember is announced.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users