T-50-2 - are you sure about that reputation?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

tnk_x5000 #1 Posted 16 September 2015 - 07:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29109 battles

I may have missed it, but I have not read any good reasons for why the T-50-2 has the reputation of a good tank, and why the MT-25 is a bad tank. When the MT-25 was first added to the game, it reminded me of the A-20 in a way, thus getting bad reputation, so up to this point it is understandable. Later the MT-25 got a massive mobility buff, that many people seem to have missed.

After that buff, when I played the MT-25, I found out, that I would have not liked the T-50-2 much, even if it was never replaced and no new light tanks were added, yes, I was really close to trying the T-50-2. Reasons:

• Both have miserable view ranges - 370 meters, what is this?, I find 380 to be low for a tier 6 light tank, but 370 is just terrible despite the speed and mobility. I even find 370 meters view range to be low for any tier 7 tank.
  • Both have weak guns - 112 mm penetration at best. Again - what is this? That much penetration cannot be compensated even with that much mobility and speed.
  • Both get scout match making, and the T-50-2 has it even worse - up to tier 10.

Yes, the T-50-2 may have been a bit more mobile and smaller, but in the conditions it used to play in, thous advantages really did not mean much. Enemies with a minim of 400 base view range, guns that that can take out the T-50-2 with a minimum of one AP/APCR/HEAT shell, tanks that have over 100 mm thick rare armor. Speed as armor? RNG, accurate enemy guns, skilled players. Ally support? That is if you can actually rely on it, IF you have any to begin with. Enemy intelligence? With that view range, you will need more skill than the average.

Maps changed, new maps were added, more tanks got added. Players, who have played the MT-25 after the buff notice the bad gun and bad view range, but admit the tank has extreme speed and mobility. And extreme speed and mobility was the second name of the T-50-2, right? Now that I think about it, I think that was actually the only thing that the tank had going for and nothing else, and the tank used to be the best at it.

Even now, I read "The LTTB reminds me of the T-50-2.". The LTTB has a much, much better gun, better armor, better view range, in exchange for some maximum speed and camouflage values. How does the LTTB remind you of the T-50-2? For me the LTTB and MT-25 are two completely different tanks.

Being the best, does not explicitly mean being good. So, my question is - if the T-50-2 was never removed, would it have proven to be still as good as it's reputation says? Also, are you sure it deserved its reputation in the first place, or the standards were just low back then?

The whole thing is still bothering me to this day, please let me sleep calmly.

Edited by tnk_x5000, 17 September 2015 - 11:37 AM.

jwu #2 Posted 02 October 2015 - 11:30 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 24829 battles

The T50-2 got its reputation before the physics patch, and before the accuracy buff of 8.6.

It was an absolute beast back then. Not in terms of dealing damage, but as a super-elusive active scout that could race right through the enemy team without getting hit.

Edited by jwu, 02 October 2015 - 11:30 AM.

Eruantien_Aduialdraug #3 Posted 09 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 12102 battles
  • [SNOO] SNOO
Also, because of the T-50-2's height and armour slopes, shots that did hit had an alarming tendency to autobounce.

armholeeio #4 Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:57 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 17600 battles

View Postjwu, on 02 October 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

The T50-2 got its reputation before the physics patch, and before the accuracy buff of 8.6.

It was an absolute beast back then. Not in terms of dealing damage, but as a super-elusive active scout that could race right through the enemy team without getting hit.

^^^ this ! Go on a power slide through the the middle of the enemy team flipping the double bird and charge off towards the base with juicy camping arty. Kill the arty and vanish off again with half the enemy team trying to chase you down. Pure fun to watch the carnage a experienced 50-2 driver could cause

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #5 Posted 11 October 2015 - 11:27 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

The reason why the T-50-2 was so good was it's mobility (worsened with the "sliding-gliding physics patch).

What it really lacked was a decent gun. Same as the MT-25.

It requires you to spam premium shells. Which makes it unplayable for me (stopped using premium time about a year ago).

LTTB on the other hand has mobility and a good gun

Edited by Spek_en_Bonen, 11 October 2015 - 11:28 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users