Tiger I vs Tiger P

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
66 replies to this topic

zalkcs #1 Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:00 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2456 battles
So Basically which Tiger is more fun to play with, is it Tiger I or Tiger P?  B)
many ppl r complaining that Tiger 1 is total  piece of junk!  :mellow:
i didn't got that far in my tech tree but i want advice from players who has driven Tiger 1 and Tiger P which monster is more fun 2 play with and maby which is better in theyr 7th Tier for not a pro players like myself :P

some advices in gameplay on both of these steel big daddy Tanks!...

Goldenz #2 Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:03 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 13575 battles
  • [VSOP] VSOP
If you like good front armour and a bit faster and smaller target take tiger P you can bounce something Tiger H doesnt have that luxury
So definately Tiger P
Edit: Tiger P is not that awful on stock than tiger H

Dreachon #3 Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:07 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9602 battles
I've only driven the Tiger P, not the Tiger H so i can't compare the 2 of them.
That sad I do enjoy driving my porsche, it can take a beathing, it has a nice topspeed although climbing is a nightmare.

PhrysQist #4 Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:13 PM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 22046 battles
For me, after 120 battles, the new Tiger P plays like i originally (in beta) expected the Tiger (H) would play. The Tiger P has more of a 'stand and bounce enemy fire and shoot at distant targets' feel about it, without having to worry about every enemy gun being able to penetrate your front hull. In tiger P i have bounced shot from Jagdtiger, Object, VK4502 B and the like, so it can compete without having to resort to playing like TD.

my 2 cents.

I did enjoy Tiger H just as much though, just got killed a lot  :Smile_harp:

Greetz,

PhrysQist

GorDoink #5 Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18805 battles
As an average player (on a good day) I'd choose the Tiger 1 over the Tiger P any day.  Reasons?  It is the Tiger.  The other one could have become the Tiger but didn't, didn't even make it into service (although I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong here).  Also, the Tiger looks the dogs bollocks and this is just a game.  Sure, we all want to win and gets lots of kills and bigger and better tanks but it's still a games.  If I was going into battle I'd be interested in all sorts of "proper" things but I'm not, what can I say?  Shallow, moi?  All completely irrational, based on mythology, aesthetics and who knows what but those are my reasons.

MetalForever #6 Posted 21 August 2011 - 06:34 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 9772 battles

View PostGorDoink, on 21 August 2011 - 06:16 PM, said:

The other one could have become the Tiger but didn't, didn't even make it into service (although I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong here).
One (or three?) Tiger P served in Russia as a command tank with a SS-Panzer Division IIRC. I have looked for reverences but I couldn't find any quickly.

There is even a photo of the machine on a flat bed in front of the Panzer V/IV.

Posted Image

Kieme #7 Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:41 AM

First Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 7211 battles
The Tiger P had problems over Tiger H that cannot be represented in the game we play.

Now, the question about what's the best one, it's the Tiger P for sure.

But what I would like to add is another thing: you could make a confrontation between these two tanks and decide which one is the best for you in absolute terms, but, if you would like to progress the game, you should also place the cited tanks in their tech tree and evaluate them from that point of view.

tier..6.......7..........8............9.........10
VK36-->TigerH-->Tiger2-->E75-->E100
VKP-->TigerP-->VKA-->VKB-->Maus

Which is the best path? Both have good tanks, and bad tanks, something like:
VK36-->TigerH-->Tiger2-->E75-->E100
VKP-->TigerP-->VKA-->VKB-->Maus
Green=very good/best of tier
Red=very bad/worst of tier
Black=still bugged, but it will be green after corrections and IS4 skip to t10.

There is more: ask yourself: which tanks give you the best "school" for the successive one? Well, going from tigerH to tiger2 is an improvement, all in all, from tiger2 to E75 you play almost the very same tank, but better in all ways, from E75 to E100 there might be a downgrade, but the tank has the same layout.
From TigerP you get VKA, which plays totally different, as you lose armor and gain speed/agility. But the turret layout is the same.
From VKA to VKB you get again armor and lose speed/agility, and get a very different turret layour, thus it forces you to learn a very different gameplay. From VKB to maus it's an improvement and it's the same layout.
As you can see the branches are mixed, there is no precise or definite difference/characteristics between the Porsche branch or the Henschel one, as the tanks differ a lot between them in terms of playstyle.

So, each tech tree branch has its good and bad tanks, it's up to you to decide which one to progress (if you want to) and until where. Sooner or later you will have to deal with bad tanks, so, for example: the TigerH is a very bad tank for its tier (possibly the worst one), but it will give you the Tiger2; ad the same time, the TigerP is most probably the best of its tier (or second best) but it will give you the VKA...
Take the above into consideration before choosing, it's a very difficult choice..

MushLvP #8 Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:48 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Player
  • 4211 battles
I'd say, none of the Tigers are good if the enemy fire in your general direction. Both have the same playstyle, and both are only good with the long 88.

The Tiger P is the best one though. Go for it.

Kieme #9 Posted 22 August 2011 - 08:52 AM

First Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 7211 battles

View Postmvd06001, on 22 August 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

Both have the same playstyle, and both are only good with the long 88.

Sry but I cannot agree there.
The two tigers have very different gameplay and this is due to one main factor: front armor.
As all tanks, they must be evaluated with their best setups, nothing else.

You can do in TigerP things you couldn't even imagine in TigerH. The front armor lets you bounce any gun of your par tier enemyes, proven you got some distance from them or they don't aim carefully while at close distance.
On the other side when enemies shoot your TigerH they don't even need to aim because they are sure to penetrate and they are correct.

Moreover, the TigerH has a front transmission, the TigerP has it in the rear, thus reducing the need of hull down, the hell, TigerP has no interest in hull downing!

The gun is the same, but the platform is completely different. They both excel as snipers, but one is a sniper with no armor, the other is a well armored sniper. One has a front mounted turret , the other one a mid mounted one, and at the same time they have very different hull shapes, thus making pickaboo fights very different. One is less agile, the other one is more. Thus they require different game play approaches.

The TigerP will have more difficulties dealing with close targets and circling enemies, due to its slow agility, while TigerH will deal with such situation a bit easier.

Considering actual map sizes, matchmaker etc. I would deem the TigerP armor advantage much more important and decisive than the TigerH agility advantage.

hrothgarviking #10 Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15908 battles
  • [FENE] FENE
Greetings!

For historical service: the only Porsche VK4501 (Tiger P) design fitted with early Krupp turret to see service as the Command Tank of sPzJgAbt 653 on the Eastern Front in early 1944 and had a few additional features such as a Panzer IV type storage bin on the rear turret and a Zimmerit coating on the hull and turret. There is also debate as to wether this particular turret had the rear escape hatch as the early Krupp turrets did not have this fitted but instead two pistol ports, one on each side of the storage bin.

Back to the original question: I have played (still playing with Tiger P) both tigers, and i have to say, i love the new Porsche design in game (But thats just my taste)

Tiger (H): Great turning and acceleration, and a good gun: 88mm L\71 make this tank good. Also you have a huge pool of HP(If you want to play CAREFUL! and a little medium style.)
Weaknesses: Your armor is weak (In Tier6 and up,but it bounces once or twice a week-i know this is a tier 7 vehickle) and you have forward gearbox (If that is hit, than you have a big chance to get engine damage, engine destroyed, or even fire.

Tiger (P): Great hull armor-same of the Ferdinand\Elaphant,  (Maybe i have luck, but once, even an Obj.704 bounced from my front (twice)) and heve better armoured turret as well. Its wider from the front than the Henschel production (Note: its not invincible from the front-it have weakspots as well) The top weapon is the same: 88mm L\71. The Tiger p is faster than the Tiger H.  In stock-its still more playable, than the other Tiger (At least by me). And the last one: the turrit is in front-so if you have average, or good tactical skill, than thats a big advantage in city maps. Oh! Another one: The gearbox is in the back-so if you recive a frontal penetrating shoot, than you dont have to tap the "fire extingvisher" button like a mad man :) . (At least i dont have problems with my engine in case of frontal hits)
Weaknesses: The tank have huge sides, that can be penetrated easily. (You have to show your front everyone who do not belong to your team if you can)
Its fater than the Tiger(H), but you need a hill to get your 35km\h top speed. The turning speed is a solid OK, but the acceleration is not that good (At least compared to the henschel) And for last: I think the tiger P is an easier target to the arty (Its longer and less agile)

For credits: I earn more credits in Tiger P-i mean in a bad game i usually not lost any credit, or just 1-2000, and on a very good game i still earn 10000-15000 (Im not a premium user)

Well that was\is my experiances with this two vehickles in game.

PS. Sorry for my bad english (Its not my national language, and i still learn to speak...)

Have a good day!

Hrothgar

Dreachon #11 Posted 22 August 2011 - 09:32 AM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 9602 battles

View PostMetalForever, on 21 August 2011 - 06:34 PM, said:

One (or three?) Tiger P served in Russia as a command tank with a SS-Panzer Division IIRC. I have looked for reverences but I couldn't find any quickly.

There is even a photo of the machine on a flat bed in front of the Panzer V/IV.

Posted Image

I'll jump in here to correct this mistake and give the proper data.

A single Tiger(P) was fielded as the batalion command vehicle for the 653rd schwere panzerjager abteilung which was at that time equipped with the Elefant.
It was modified before beeing accepted, these modificatiosn included 100mm extra plate on the hull, extra radio sets installed and the application of zimmerit.
The vehicle was reported lost in juli-august 1944 and no further info on what happened or were are available.

Kurnubego #12 Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 15846 battles
  • [ORLY] ORLY

View PostGoldenz, on 21 August 2011 - 06:03 PM, said:

If you like good front armour and a bit faster and smaller target take tiger P you can bounce something Tiger H doesnt have that luxury
So definately Tiger P
Edit: Tiger P is not that awful on stock than tiger H

Tiger P is slower than Tiger I. Top speed in statistics doesn't reflect the truth. I suggest you to play it for yourself before you give away missleading information.

I like Tiger I more. But this is becouse of subjective point of view more than anything else. The main diffrence between the two is that Tiger P trades mobility/agility for thicker front armor and a bit smaller profile.

Also, despite what people may think of it's front armor, Tiger P is not for close combat. Turret is easily penetrated from front and at close distances there is no problem to aim for it. Brawling is impossible, becouse you expose weak sides as well and you don't have enough speed for being decent in it. It also totaly sucks at peekaboo's. And it ussaly fails to respond in time in fast close combat dynamics.

RokRoland #13 Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12581 battles
  • [ASEET] ASEET

View PostKurnubego, on 23 August 2011 - 10:03 AM, said:

Tiger P also totaly sucks at peekaboo's.

No it doesn't. Justification for that is the thick front and turret not being too far forward. You can often cause your enemy to shoot at the front plate at 45 degree angle, good luck penetrating that.

Any way you look at it, the only thing the Tiger H is better at is in climbing hills. Brawling and so on - it might not be better than Tiger (H) but it certainly isn't much worse either.

Kameho #14 Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:23 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7844 battles
  • [LOLI] LOLI
I keep bouncing on a Tiger P hull armor with my 12.8 gun on the E-75.

So i gotta say, Tiger P > Tiger H.

When I played Tiger H, i had no luxury at bouncing any shot not belonging to tier 3 and below. Even shermans ripped through my armor like cheese... *sigh*

Thoemse #15 Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 3549 battles
  • [FAIL] FAIL
Tiger P by far. No i don't have it but i just watched one killing a T34 in a 1 v 1.
Yes that T34 was retarded most likely but it was just funny to watch (i played arty) how the tiger P bounced shot after shot from a T34(!).
For a tier 7 heavy that tank bounces a lot especially against autoaimers or people who think it is just tier 7 so they just shoot at it somewhere.

Kieme #16 Posted 23 August 2011 - 12:30 PM

First Sergeant

• Veteran
  • 7211 battles

View PostThoemse, on 23 August 2011 - 11:45 AM, said:

people who think it is just tier 7 so they just shoot at it somewhere.

This.
When I'm on my P I often feel like this.

Elkerlyc #17 Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:19 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 30291 battles
  • [RANG] RANG
I currently play both the Tiger H and Tiger P and I like the latter far better.
Solid front armour and the ability to drive backwards. (as opposed to *crawl* backwards)

Tamcia #18 Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:35 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18676 battles
  • [FS] FS
I've beaten Tigers with Tiger P, just because of the higher frontal armor. Wish Tiger had such good frontal armor as the P.

Baske_74 #19 Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:59 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 21199 battles
  • [RHPO2] RHPO2
drove the Tiger P in test 2 & 3 and i must say that i enjoyed the P more then the Tiger I.

The armour can actually bounce shots, i bounced two shots of a Ferdinand at 100m  :Smile-izmena:

the Tiger P can reverse much faster, turret and hull traverse is about the same.

all in all the Tiger P feesl like a tank the H doesn't.

the H has better forward acceleration, though P has higher topspeed on flat ground

BrusilovX #20 Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:14 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 17388 battles
  • [TWC] TWC
I've managed ot get a fully upgraded Tiger (P) today and only noticed the huge difference in front armour over the Tiger (H).

I do have a Pz Kpfw VI Tiger at the moment and also had one in the beta where I went on to the Pz Kpfw VIB Tiger II.

The added frontal armour makes a big difference - the turret has an additiional 20mm over the other Tiger as well.  It means you can face up to the enemy but need to only show the front, if possible.

As others have posted the one you get should be dependant upon where you want to end up.  If you want the E-100 then it's the Tiger(H), Tiger II, E-75 and then the E-100 for you.  If you want the Maus then it's the Tiger(P), VK4502(P) Ausf A, VK4502(P) Ausf B and Maus.....