Japanese Heavies. OP Or not OP? That is the Question!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: Japanese Heavies. Overpowered or Not? (281 members have cast votes)

Are the Japanese Heavies OP? Why so?

1. Yes, they are OP (205 votes [72.95%])

Percentage of vote: 72.95%

2. No, They are not OP (76 votes [27.05%])

Percentage of vote: 27.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Gandalf_193 #1 Posted 02 October 2015 - 02:18 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 2206 battles
Vote up above and Tell why you think so.

leggasiini #2 Posted 02 October 2015 - 07:48 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20819 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Voted no. The branch has lots of disadvantages, with expection being O-I Exp they have bad gun handling, DPM and mobility. They are also all huge which makes them juicy arty targets. Most of them have lacking gold ammo aswell.

O-I Exp is only tank that is actually overpowered (and even then its slightly depended on MM) and thats because of its gun that is overkill in tier 5. O-I is overrated imo even though it is really good; both of its guns handles and reloads like walrus, its probably biggest tank in the game, has no mobility, and armor starts to get penetrated from 170mm guns with ease thanks to completely unangleable turret. Its depression is also bad for such a big tank (10 degrees is only directly at front). That being said, O-I can feel brutally OP when it gets top tier + city map + no arty + dumb enemies, but what if it gets into open map with arty? Yeah... its dead weight even if O-I is top tier. Some of jp heavies could use even a buffs rather than nerf; O-Ni is pretty good, what it needs is slightly better rof on both of its guns, Type 4 is hated by most players, even by those who liked previous tanks in that line, just because that its almost like a T95 with a turret. It also has terrible gun handling. I think it needs buffs on either its gun or mobility. Type 5 is almost fine, it just needs better DPM and/or better gold ammo.

ARES_IV #3 Posted 02 October 2015 - 09:13 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15621 battles

The Tier 5 has potential. The remaining line however is very very very out of meta.

Good armor? There is nothing good about armor that gets penetrated by gold rounds from 2 tiers below.

Yet I hope that they dont buff their gold ammo. Instead I hope they nerf the other gold ammo down to similar values.

Thor_Hammerschlag #4 Posted 03 October 2015 - 05:55 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 19470 battles

Its a little bit more complicated. You should create a poll to ask which japanese HT is OP. A poll for every tier.

Here are my impressions (mostly from testserver):

Tier V: O-I Exp

The guns alpha, paired with that DPM, create an absolute massacre on its own tier and the pen is high enough to fight T6 frontally and even most T7 tanks have to consider that 300 aplha punches. The mobility and decent armor in combination make this tank OP. This tank is totally OP.

Tier VI: O-I

It doesnt have a stock grind, making the stats shine even more. Infact some even prefer the 10cm, which has lots of penetration. The 15cm has reasonable accurancy, and an AP round which oneshots many tanks of the same tier. This tank could also be OP. 

Tier VII: O-Ni

The frontalarmor is very good especially on distance. The gun is interesting at 190 pen with 330 dmg, but its not superior to other tanks guns of that tier. Unlike guns of the O-Is. Could be balanced.

Tier VIII: O-Ho

Very thick frontalarmor at 200mm everywhere and the sides are at 105mm decent as well. Its the King of Derps: The 15cm has such great softstats that it is an viable option as top gun. The tanks is thus great fun. Could be an unique, balanced tank.

Tier IX: Type 4 Heavy

250mm frontalarmor. Unangled. No DPM. Rivals the TOG in speed, with a limit of 20 km/h. This tank works when ppl dont shoot gold and you actually make it to the frontline. Both things happing in the same match is unlikely. Gold kills this tank totally. My impression: Its definitely an underpowered tank.

Tier X: Type 5 Heavy

260mm front with a little bit better speed at 25 kmh. The funny 140 mm gun is better on this tank, however still not good enough for a TX HT. The tank feels like an Godzilla on tracks, with one thing missing again: A skin which is thick enough. This tank is also killed by goldammo even more thanks to the higher tier. This tanks is also going to be underpowered.

Han951753 #5 Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:38 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 28873 battles
  • [OT2-] OT2-
Way too op. seriously needs a nerf on armor. Fornt armor unpenetratable for the same tier, this is really illogical in wot, Even Maus have week spots in the frount, If the small Turrets have a poor armor, it will be ok, but there DPM are really high as well, and the most illogical thing is the same 105mm gun, but on jap it deals 330dmg and on other Nations only 320. So just nerf it!!!!!

Antaris #6 Posted 02 January 2016 - 09:12 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 78609 battles
  • [VNOMS] VNOMS

Lack of opinion UP (Under Powered).

The armor of Type 4 Heavy is not working as 250/200/200 at all. Neither on the turret.

captain_white_tiger #7 Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 47832 battles
  • [DIRST] DIRST

Up to type95 - underpowered

O-I Exp, O-I - just fine on par with tier

O-Ni - little underpowered

O-Ho - exactly fine on par with tier

Type4 - complete piece of crapmetal: loading time way over anything, penetration good only against tier7 and lower, needs serious upgrade, hit damage - below mediocre, armor doesnt work, anyone can penetrate from front starting from tier 8 lights; in total - barely on par with tier8, never ever can fight against tier 9, speed - completely underbalanced, cant ever get to front line; almost forgot - gun precision is almost as "good" as artillery

Type5 - yet to come

Edited by captain_white_tiger, 27 April 2016 - 05:47 PM.

captain_white_tiger #8 Posted 27 April 2016 - 05:44 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 47832 battles
  • [DIRST] DIRST

Edited by captain_white_tiger, 27 April 2016 - 05:47 PM.

Velvet_Underground #9 Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:14 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22243 battles

View Postcaptain_white_tiger, on 27 April 2016 - 05:40 PM, said:

Up to type95 - underpowered

O-I Exp, O-I - just fine on par with tier

O-Ni - little underpowered

O-Ho - exactly fine on par with tier

Type4 - complete piece of crapmetal: loading time way over anything, penetration good only against tier7 and lower, needs serious upgrade, hit damage - below mediocre, armor doesnt work, anyone can penetrate from front starting from tier 8 lights; in total - barely on par with tier8, never ever can fight against tier 9, speed - completely underbalanced, cant ever get to front line; almost forgot - gun precision is almost as "good" as artillery

Type5 - yet to come

Both the OI exp and the OI are overperforming af. They are simply way better than the other heavies at tier 5 and 6

captain_white_tiger #10 Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 47832 battles
  • [DIRST] DIRST

View PostVelvet_Underground, on 27 April 2016 - 06:14 PM, said:

Both the OI exp and the OI are overperforming af. They are simply way better than the other heavies at tier 5 and 6

Disagree, each of the, have op counterparties, OI exp on average always loses to KV-1, OI on average loses to KV-85 because of KV-85 totally overimbalanced pen.

Velvet_Underground #11 Posted 27 April 2016 - 06:56 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22243 battles

View Postcaptain_white_tiger, on 27 April 2016 - 06:38 PM, said:

Disagree, each of the, have op counterparties, OI exp on average always loses to KV-1, OI on average loses to KV-85 because of KV-85 totally overimbalanced pen.

Dude, just no:facepalm:

leggasiini #12 Posted 27 April 2016 - 08:48 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20819 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View Postcaptain_white_tiger, on 27 April 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

No. O-I Exp can just ram + shoot KV-1. That alone kills KV-1. If it gets some distance and then sidescrape, maybe then. But who could leave to fight KV on position like that?

And KV-85 can get oneshotted by O-I...

Nishi_Kinuyo #13 Posted 27 April 2016 - 10:50 PM

General

• Player
  • 12985 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

View Postleggasiini, on 27 April 2016 - 07:48 PM, said:

No. O-I Exp can just ram + shoot KV-1. That alone kills KV-1. If it gets some distance and then sidescrape, maybe then. But who could leave to fight KV on position like that?

Yeah, I noticed first hand an O-I Exp trying that while I was driving my KV-1.

Guess who won; my KV-1 (using the 85mm).

ARES_IV #14 Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 15621 battles

With the upcoming nerf, it is pretty safe to say that the entire japanese heavy line is going to be worthless s***.

The only tanks useful where the Tier 5 and the Tier 6. Yes, the Tier 5 was op. But in the future they are all going to be crap. There is no point to grind this line. It is all garbage.

leggasiini #15 Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:00 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20819 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostARES_IV, on 28 April 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

With the upcoming nerf, it is pretty safe to say that the entire japanese heavy line is going to be worthless s***.

The only tanks useful where the Tier 5 and the Tier 6. Yes, the Tier 5 was op. But in the future they are all going to be crap. There is no point to grind this line. It is all garbage.

nah

O-I Exp nerf is pretty pathetic imo. They are barely touching its gun. Really, 0.3 sec worse reload and slightly worse gun handling is not gonna make it crap, heck i think it should be still OP after nerf, just less OP like it is now.

O-I is getting hurt harder, but they are still keeping derp + armor + view range. It shouldnt be OP anymore, but it will still be broken since it will have very minmaxed stats (same problem with WT). It makes situation only worse; now not only its annoying to fight against, it is also annoying to play with it (i simply didnt like it anymore anyway and i sold it, let alone after mobility, reload and dispersion nerfs)...so no one is happy lol

____prophet____ #16 Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:13 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 27977 battles
The problem with these super heavies is that they have real armor and real armor is difficult to handle for the pubbies. Even the tier 9 ones which are bad tanks, are completely unbeatable when in a top tier platoon against average players. The problem is not that these tanks are factually difficult to kill, but that they are VERY difficult to kill for the average players. And that makes them a little bit OP right now. Present a single Type 4 heavy, a bad tank, to a horde of pubbies in their various tier 7 and 8 tanks, and it will take a LOOOONG time before the Type 4 is dead. Meanwhile, all other enemy tanks roflstomp the rest of your team everywhere else. This is the real problem. The Japanese heavies need to have SOME frontal weakspots so pubbies can at least a little bit hurt them. Otherwise, with mediocre teams, it's often the one who has more Japanese heavies that will win that flank, or that game.

Edited by alisuorittaja, 28 April 2016 - 04:13 PM.

Nishi_Kinuyo #17 Posted 28 April 2016 - 05:18 PM

General

• Player
  • 12985 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Or they can just press 2 to win. :rolleyes:

But anyhow, rebalancing them won't be an easy matter given the hardstats of the O-I; its armour and the fact it had a 15cm cannon.

Yeah, the 15cm is actually 149.1mm while the KV-2's is 152.4mm, so if WG wanted to, they could reduce its damage by a bit.

Then again, is it really going to matter if you're one-shot by a 910dmg shell or by a 850dmg shell?

Moving them up a tier is also problematic since WG would literally have to invent yet another tank to fill the gap; so that's hardly an option either.

Edited by Onisuzume, 28 April 2016 - 05:18 PM.

pihip #18 Posted 07 May 2016 - 10:31 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 19407 battles

This is just my 2 cents, but until people will have access to gold ammo for credits, be it artillery or normal tanks, any cry or whine that the Japanese heavies are OP will be BS.

This is the same argument that led to the bashing of the MBT class in that other game that cannot be named: "momma I can't pen big bully tonk from the front with my water gun, halp". And so the good devs decided to listen to the moanings and made weakspots easier to hit or less armored or both, or even added more. And nerfed mobility. And made side-rear armor weaker.

Seriously, can't pen but can't be bothered to flank or find another target? Press 2 and bleed money. Players are so good at this in this game anyway.

Eila_Juutilainen #19 Posted 09 May 2016 - 07:22 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21601 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND

View Postalisuorittaja, on 28 April 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

This is the real problem. The Japanese heavies need to have SOME frontal weakspots so pubbies can at least a little bit hurt them.

We're talking about the same pubbies that can't even understand the concept of weakspots, right? Those same tomatoes who will shoot tanks center mass and bounce over and over? Weakspots will generally be employed only by good players who know they exist to begin with...

Eokokok #20 Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21075 battles

Problematic by design as a whole line from tier 6 - tier 6 might be a bit ahead of the curve, but it is hard to balance the tank out with that armour. It will roflstomp when top tiered, it will struggle if not since it lacks mobility. Tier 7 and 8 might be balanced a bit better, bit the rule still holds true there, even if they do not own as hard as tier 6 when top tiered, then there are the terrible top tiers...

Exp. though, can't really pick a side here, on one hand the gun is pretty great, mobility good enough, depression is nice. Then again it is huge, has no camo and with arty of the tier being relatively high RoF machineguns it tend to get hammered alot.

Overall the line as a whole is bad - top tiers are bad, tier X especially, the gun needs alot of love to make it decent. Tiers 7 and 8 are somewhat balanced, but terribly out of meta with the top speed limiting them badly, most things they do can be done by better tanks (US HTs on most maps, Soviet ones on others).

Tier 6 was nerfed, not sure if it still is as strong as it used to be, but not much can be done here, it is a pub stomper designed to punish players that cannot learn weakspots or how to pick their engagements.

Low tiers are terrible rubbish, tier 5 is nice, but I do think it might be balanced nowdays.

Can't see a single OP tank in this whole line...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users