Good arty players- How do I avoid getting killed by artillery?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

SonOfNobby #1 Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 10203 battles
  • [ORLY] ORLY

I literally cannot play ONE game without getting hit constantly by artillery.

Just going to keep this short- How in the name of holy hell do you avoid them?

I've tried hiding, constantly moving ect.

But I spend most of my games in Heavies, tank destroyers and even the slower medium tanks hiding behind a rock, because I know if I pop out some pro in an S-51 will skilfully remove half of my HP.

Can anyone help? Because its really starting to make me want to stop playing the game, because no matter what I do, arty always kills me.

mynameispuffs #2 Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:40 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 25156 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

I'm by NO MEANS an expert artillery man but I've played it enough to give you a few tips

#1 Sitting still OBVIOUSLY makes you an instant target so move back and forwards. However if you just drive 5m forward 5m back, me in whatever arty piece im playing just calculates accordingly and will still take a pop. What you need to do is maybe 2/3 seconds of back/forwards in a straight line and then 3/4 seconds in a curve a bit like a bracket:  (  if you change directions like this and VARY how far you are moving it makes it much harder  for me to predict where you are going to be 

#2 Sitting behind that rock for too long means i have time to pre-aim for you and loose of a shot the instant you are spotted again. Yes sit still but when you are unspotted MOVE somewhere else. It keeps me guessing and if you do it right by the time ive moved and aimed again you should be in sufficient cover or unspotted again. 

#3 Ridge lines. Some artillery are exempt here (FV304 for example) but ridge lines are blimin difficult to shoot over especially for arty that has a flat shell trajectory. Its much harder to judge a shot right if you are halfway up a slope than if you are sat at the bottom or at the top of that slope as my shot either lands at the top or flies long. Obviously due to RNG there will be times i CAN hit you but its down to luck here.

#4 If you are one on one don't drive in a straight line and dont sit side on to arty. It gives him the best chance of defending himself, examples of which you can see in a few of the videos here: "Fair and Balanced"Throw random turns in there or even alternate your speed and this gives you the best chance of the arty firing early and you dodging the shot.  

#5 Some artillery players are stupid and dont know anything about prioritization of targets. If you are in a high tier tank (and when possible) travel with others. At least 90% of the arty players i have played with/against are stupid enough to take a punt at that 400hp St Emil than you next to it in (for example) a full hp KV-4. Its risky to do and i wouldn't recommend it as i always shoot high HP targets to get my monies worth unless i have too, but there are a lot of idiots out there so why not test your luck!

#6 As for your heavies a Spall liner helps if you are willing to give up the equipment slot. I can tell if someone is using one or not by how much dmg i do to them. When i drive the T92 i do maybe 1k to an E-100 (with a good solid hit) and i KNOW he hasn't got one mounted, but if he does then im doing significantly less. It means you live a bit longer and will frustrate the arty player so he will move on. 

These are just tips from my own experience as an artilleryman and other peoples views will differ but I hope it helped anyway :) If you have any other questions I'll try my best to help you a bit more :)

Boo_Bee #3 Posted 20 October 2015 - 07:46 PM

Clan Commander

• Clan Commander
  • 45349 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T
Good reading Puffs. +1

mynameispuffs #4 Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:11 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 25156 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostStanleyTweedle, on 20 October 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

Good reading Puffs. +1

Cheers :) 

Oh one other thing:

#7 Play a few games of artillery yourself and watch were your ally arty (if there is any) goes AND where (if any) enemy artillery gets spotted at. Keep a little log of maps and the corresponding gird co-ordinates and work out where they can shoot across the map. I myself did this when i first got serious about playing well (about a year ago) and it helps. In fact knowing where enemy arty is likely to go means you can counter them pretty easily, which is a MASSIVE support to the team and they WILL appreciate it even if they don't say so. Just play a few games yourself and pay attention to what goes on :) I noticed the OP had 128 games or so in arty and nothing higher than tier four so i definitely recommend you play more to get a feel for what an SPG's capabilities are on certain maps.

Edited by mynameispuffs, 20 October 2015 - 08:12 PM.

Darth_Clicker #5 Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:29 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57168 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

excellent advice puffs.  As you said, making your movements random is the best way to frustrate arty and make him stop targeting you.  Of course, some players will focus on you and waste shell after shell trying to hit you, and may get lucky, but if that is the case, you are still helping your team by keeping enemy arty occupied and making him waste shells.  I was one of these players for probably my first 15k battles in arty before I finally realized that I was not really helping my team as much as possible.  Now, I may take two shots at one of these random moving players, but after two misses because of his movement skills, I will move on to another target unless the random mover is actually the most important target at the moment. 

As far as taking out a ST. Emil instead of the KV-4, the St. Emil has a gun that can deliver 490 hp alpha damage and the KV-4 can only deliver 390 hp alpha damage....it is not an entirely bad idea to take out the more powerful gun with one shot than to take away half of the Kv-4's health and leaving a 390hp gun in the battle.  Sometimes, I take out the gun with one shot if possible and leave the KV-4 for my next shots...other times I do the opposite.  It depends on the situation on the battle field.  If the ST Emil is a sure shot, he is toast.  I do not think that is an idiotic choice because one less gun on the enemy team is a definite positive.

Edited by Darth_Clicker, 21 October 2015 - 07:30 AM.

paca_madaidhean #6 Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:52 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 53655 battles

as an arty player  yep I hate game where the other team keeps moving forward in packs of 3 or 4  they wipe out the spotters before my higher tier arty can aim  so keep moving   light or med tanks should hold back  and look for a gap in the other teams lines,  funny how this is always the middle, and head  to  the rear they are now normaly free of campers  as everyone is turnning into lemmings. and  kill arty or spot them for your own team.  remember  bigger tier arty can take up to 1 min load time  and never attack  head on  always attack in a curve. I have killed quite a few in a head on attack so watch out..

as for helping arty  spot and hide  spot and hide  so that  they can aim  don't ever run away from  bigger tank   if you spot it and cant kill it   arty will if you keep spotting . watch out  the bishop and  berts  they  have the best lob in town  they will track you  then  nibble away at you even if you are no longer seen

good luck  and good hunting

Element6 #7 Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:04 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30763 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View Postmynameispuffs, on 20 October 2015 - 07:40 PM, said:

#5 Some artillery players are stupid and dont know anything about prioritization of targets. If you are in a high tier tank (and when possible) travel with others. At least 90% of the arty players i have played with/against are stupid enough to take a punt at that 400hp St Emil than you next to it in (for example) a full hp KV-4. Its risky to do and i wouldn't recommend it as i always shoot high HP targets to get my monies worth unless i have too, but there are a lot of idiots out there so why not test your luck!

I'd just like to make an ammendment to this, as it is generally good advice.

If you see an LT hiding behind a smaller obstacle (not 15m giant boulder), and he is the enemy's forward observer, allowing his friends further back to shoot at your spotted allies, splash him. Repeatedly. I very seldom prioritize LTs in artillery, but situations like this are the exceptions, and of course when there is absolutely nothing else to shoot at, I shoot at whatever is spotted.

mynameispuffs #8 Posted 21 October 2015 - 08:35 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 25156 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 21 October 2015 - 06:29 AM, said:

As far as taking out a ST. Emil instead of the KV-4, the St. Emil has a gun that can deliver 490 hp alpha damage and the KV-4 can only deliver 390 hp alpha damage....it is not an entirely bad idea to take out the more powerful gun with one shot than to take away half of the Kv-4's health and leaving a 390hp gun in the battle.  Sometimes, I take out the gun with one shot if possible and leave the KV-4 for my next shots...other times I do the opposite.  It depends on the situation on the battle field.  If the ST Emil is a sure shot, he is toast.  I do not think that is an idiotic choice because one less gun on the enemy team is a definite positive.

Well i was just using it as an example but its not difficult to see what im trying to explain. :)

10hp tanks get taken out more often that large hits on High priority targets no matter WHAT im playing :facepalm:

View PostElement6, on 21 October 2015 - 06:04 PM, said:

I'd just like to make an ammendment to this, as it is generally good advice.

If you see an LT hiding behind a smaller obstacle (not 15m giant boulder), and he is the enemy's forward observer, allowing his friends further back to shoot at your spotted allies, splash him. Repeatedly. I very seldom prioritize LTs in artillery, but situations like this are the exceptions, and of course when there is absolutely nothing else to shoot at, I shoot at whatever is spotted.

Hmm never actually considered it :P May have to look into it! 

Darth_Clicker #9 Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:38 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57168 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View Postmynameispuffs, on 21 October 2015 - 09:35 PM, said:

Well i was just using it as an example but its not difficult to see what im trying to explain. :)

10hp tanks get taken out more often that large hits on High priority targets no matter WHAT im playing :facepalm:

Sure, I am generally not going to take out a 10hp tank with my expensive arty shell unless it is really necessary to help my team, which it usually is not.  I think that one of the main functions of arty in the game is to reduce the hit pool of the enemy team as much as possible. So I agree with you that the 10hp target is not a smart one.  In my quest to improve my wn8 rating, I have learned that my practice of focusing on kills each battle was not helping my stats and probably not my team in the best way possible.  I have taken as my new job to damage, damage, damage.  So, with your latest clarification in mind, I fully agree with what you are saying.  Good advice indeed.

Gnomus #10 Posted 22 October 2015 - 09:42 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 34526 battles
  • [ASEET] ASEET

View PostDarth_Clicker, on 22 October 2015 - 08:38 AM, said:

Sure, I am generally not going to take out a 10hp tank with my expensive arty shell unless it is really necessary to help my team, which it usually is not.  I think that one of the main functions of arty in the game is to reduce the hit pool of the enemy team as much as possible. So I agree with you that the 10hp target is not a smart one.  In my quest to improve my wn8 rating, I have learned that my practice of focusing on kills each battle was not helping my stats and probably not my team in the best way possible.  I have taken as my new job to damage, damage, damage.  So, with your latest clarification in mind, I fully agree with what you are saying.  Good advice indeed.

If it's 10hp tank that is hard to kill for others (armor or positioning) I will take it down. If it's easy kill tank most likely he would be dead even before my shell is in the target so not really worth it.

One reason arty seems to be hunting low hp tanks is that spotted tanks often get focused. When 1500hp tank is spotted and I shoot at him it might be that while I aim and shell is in the air he will take 3x 400hp hits and then my expensive shell hits 300hp tank. Target I shot at was 1500hp tank, target I hit was 300hp "easy kill". 

About targeting KV-4 or St.Emil: Emil has 850hp and hardly any armor. There's high change of penetration and one shot kill and even splash is going to harm him badly. Meanwhile KV-4 will most likely take only 200-400hp hit and even less on splash. That out of his 1650hp. Shooting at St.Emil will knock out 490 damage (2131,5 DPM) 231 pen accurate gun out of game while shaving some hp from KV-4 wont take out his 320 damage (1731.2 DPM) 227 penetrating not so accurate gun.

So St.Emil it is most of the time, unless I'm pretty sure other tanks can deal with him fast, but has problem damaging KV-4. 

_Sheo_ #11 Posted 24 October 2015 - 06:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 19834 battles

Nice work, puffs, should help a lot of guys to stay alive.

I just would add 2 more points:

#8 Don't stay close to allies for too long. Its a feast for arty when they can hit multible targets in one shot so they will try to get that shot down on you.

#9 You should move to another position (or at least get behind cover) when arty shells miss you or hit allies near to you. Artys will keep pouring shells on a position as long as there are targets that could be hit.

NotDeadYettie #12 Posted 07 January 2016 - 01:10 AM

Private

• Player
  • 30792 battles

All good advice. Just to highlight some key points & add a few thoughts - my ideal arty target is low-mobility, high-tier, hard-hitting , lightly-armoured with a high WN8 ; not moving or relocating; not near hard cover, and in a group with friends. So if you're a good player in a tight platoon of slow glass TDs, have a care. If you're a tomato in a mobile, armoured, poorly-gunned, moving unpredictably in hard cover, be less concerned.

So how to counter ? Not getting spottted is the best start. If you are, move - either unpredictably, or into arty shadow*, or both - until you're not. Like the early poster above, if you're moving too unpredictably for a good shot, then I 'll lose interest fast. Likewise if you'll be driving behing a mountain for 30 secs I've lost interest .. , you're off my radar until you're re-aquired. 

If you're moving in a straight line when you go dark I MAY lead you with a blind shot. So esp, if arty is already targetting you constant speed/straight line [esp uphill if slow] = NOT SAFE. Evidence of minor changes in speed & direction when I can see you will probably dissuade me from wasting a bind shot.

If you peekaboo & you're a decent target I'll wait & stay aimed unless there's something available sooner.The more repetitive & predictable your peekaboo the better value you are to me.

Note that you can certainly bait shots with arty - & with a 20 to 60 second reload for multi-000-credit shells, persevering despite that gets unattractive very quickly if you're good at it (again , unless there's NOTHING better to rain expensive credits on).

Also get a feel for which artys have high shell arc (mainly UK & Russian lines) & can shoot better over hard cover - that works especially near max range (500m for Bert & Bishop, mainly 900-1400m for most other). On quite a few maps (thing examples Fjords, Fiery Saleint, Arctic, Mnt Pass for starters) there are pretty few viable places for arty so 90% of time you can guess where they'll be*, & hence when you're near max range. *(except Bert & Bishop which are weird for positioning , with a 500m range).

Also Good arty players , and those in more mobile arty , will reposition - further from spawn, more frequently in-battle, more in general - so will be less predictable for where is arty-safe. Mobile arties more to less: French ++, then US +, German , Russian -- . The British varies a lot up & down the line (tier 6 & 7 mobile, 5 & 8 not).

Arties have S**T accuracy, so tanks grouped close enough to make one big target are REALLY attractive. As are players stupid enough not to move when they are (really or nearly) hit once.

And finally - the 'last spotted at' minimap marker can be accurate enough to target on. So esp. if you're for example a juicy TD in a fave bush, if things get quiet I MAY review who was where & have a punt even if you've not been re-spotted.

Playing arty a little will very soon enlighten you that - frustrating as it is to get 1-shotted from the Heavens - arty is very Very Very far from the 'easy click-to-kill" model that it seems when you've just got zapped by it. Trying it form the other side, & thinking about what makes your life hard when raining death from above, is a powerful way to help you avoid it.

Darth_Clicker #13 Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:46 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57168 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

Good advice NotDeadYettie.  

If advanced players really want to become as "arty proof" as possible, learning exactly which ones are mobile and which are not.  My locations I choose in arty are highly dependent on which one I am driving.  In the two years that I have been playing arty, I have noticed that arty locations evolve over time.  I try to pay attention to where other artys on my team locate as sometimes I learn new locations.  This helps me for when I counter arty.  For example, lately on Fjords, the trend in my battles has been for arty to not locate on the little peninsula in the south east but north of the peninsula and sometimes in the base area.  If I were in a big slow heavy or td, I would watch these trends and choose my attack area to avoid the trends.  This is also helpful for scouts to know where to look for arty for the easiest kill in the least amount of time.

Edited by Darth_Clicker, 07 January 2016 - 06:50 AM.

cellaman7 #14 Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:51 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34563 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

A lot of the things that make targets harder to shoot have been mentioned already. But also some of the myth's out there about high XVM players havn't.

Ok so my contribution and speaking as a Bishop & Bert player so it's a different play style.

1) Unless a Light tank is afk or tracked then forget chasing it. Prokorhovka is prime example when they are half courting in the middle and you just try random lucky shots wasting time. The Bishop has a good amount of ammo and rapid fire but even I won't sit chasing a light around a field.

2) The very best way to put an arty off you is to accept he's going to be in the general direction to his own base. If you hear an arty splash near you then move perpendicular to the base. I hate it when a tank does that. I have to traverse, re-aim, bloom again and then I give up and move on. What I love is when enemy rocks back and forwards towards you rather than sideways on. I've got the art of predicting movements like that down to a T.

3) Be careful of obvious spots on the maps if you see arty on the opp team and know the arty that you are facing. I've played quite a few games and know where to pre-aim immediatley. Examples, end of the Banana road - Himmlesdorf, Middle - Mines, 9/0 line Tundra, The centre curved road on Ruinberg, South road - Arctic region, Anywhere on Airfield or Widepark because it's not that wide!

4) Hiding behind a big building I can wait you out, but if another target becomes available then I will move on.... But you don't know that!

There's lot's of other things that frustrates be in arty and makes me avoid chasing some tanks, But for me, Your XVM stats are not one of them. If 4 enemy was all grouped together I either go for the open topped one or the one sat still the most.

chr1stos #15 Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:03 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26775 battles
  • [KOULA] KOULA

#10 Don't stay lit up for too long.

I can't stress the importance of this enough, being on arty radar constantly is a guarrantee of you getting wrecked.

#11 Wait for someone else to get lit up,give it a few secs so the artillery that could be aiming at you decides it's not worth wasting their time and switch to the lit up targets and only then show up.

Disappear and repeat.

#12 Maintain awareness of what's going on around you.

If you hear the enemy artillery fire or some team mate reports he got hit then take advantage of that window of opportunity.

#12.5 Suck up to enemy artillery at the start of the battle, tell them that you love them and they are the coolest guys in the world.

Usually doesn't work but sometimes it just might:)

Don't not forget that some times you just have to "pay taxes".

Being in a Maus or a Jagd E-100 and trying to evade artillery shots just isn't going to happen if you want to make yourself useful in battle.

A lot of people get their tier 10 German or Japanese super heavy and think that their job is to dodge artillery shells.

Well it isn't possible so deal with it and go to the front to take the hits or just sit in base and lose a lot.

Don't cry about it.

Taking hits in your heavily armored tank is another way of winning and the times you get a battle with no arty is the time when you get to shine and all the suffering you've gone through make it that much more special.

Edited by chr1stos, 08 January 2016 - 08:14 AM.

_SgtBomber_ #16 Posted 08 January 2016 - 08:16 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 18664 battles
  • [CRYPT] CRYPT

Good writings Puffs! I have nothing much to add on that tip spree.. But I have to mention that it's not easy anymore to hit moving LT's and meds like it used to be back in days before these 2 nerfs.

But, 1 thing for sure you need to remember. If you know the location where you won't get hit (many maps there are 100% arty safe positions) use it and save your HP.

s0r1n3l #17 Posted 08 January 2016 - 10:18 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25685 battles
  • [VTL] VTL

View Postchr1stos, on 08 January 2016 - 07:03 AM, said:

#12.5 Suck up to enemy artillery at the start of the battle, tell them that you love them and they are the coolest guys in the world.

Usually doesn't work but sometimes it just might:)

Sometimes it does when i play my arty, just depends how nice u ask and how the battle is going.

And one more thing, just like i said on a previous post, for the love of god don`t start cursing at the arty, all that will acomplish is to get that player to focus u more than he would normaly.

Lots of times i focused a player just to ruin his game because he started cursing for a 100-200 dmg shot, way less than a normal tank would have done, but because i was focusing him he had to stay in cover way more than necessary and the splash dmg did some module dmg that cost more in the long run.

Accept the fact that you took a hit, and keep count of the reload times (there are mods to help out with that if u can`t do it on your own because u don`t know the aproximate reload times of the arty`s) and and move around in those windows.

Edited by s0r1n3l, 08 January 2016 - 10:19 AM.

chr1stos #18 Posted 08 January 2016 - 01:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26775 battles
  • [KOULA] KOULA

The reload timer mod is illegal hehe.

Useless Tip #12.6: If you are a FV 183 with 1750 avg alpha and 230mm pen premium HESH  and I pen you with an AP shell in my Object 261 don't rage in chat about artillery players ruining the game you donkey.

Alexlockerr #19 Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:55 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16854 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
Tip #1 : you can't! I expect to put some guided missiles to artys in the future patches to make 100% accuracy . Because more balance

Alexlockerr #20 Posted 13 January 2016 - 11:56 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16854 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View Postchr1stos, on 08 January 2016 - 01:08 PM, said:

The reload timer mod is illegal hehe.

Useless Tip #12.6: If you are a FV 183 with 1750 avg alpha and 230mm pen premium HESH  and I pen you with an AP shell in my Object 261 don't rage in chat about artillery players ruining the game you donkey.

the fv actually needes to poke to shoot ,he does not stay in the corner rubbing his [edited]and clicking,so your comment is invalid

Edited by Alexlockerr, 13 January 2016 - 11:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users