Good arty players- How do I avoid getting killed by artillery?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

mynameispuffs #21 Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:39 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 25224 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

View PostBomBer_Th3_Uniscum, on 08 January 2016 - 07:16 AM, said:

Good writings Puffs! I have nothing much to add on that tip spree.. But I have to mention that it's not easy anymore to hit moving LT's and meds like it used to be back in days before these 2 nerfs.

But, 1 thing for sure you need to remember. If you know the location where you won't get hit (many maps there are 100% arty safe positions) use it and save your HP.

O rly?

:teethhappy:

Spoiler

Darth_Clicker #22 Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:23 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 57331 battles
  • [4RCE] 4RCE

View PostAlexlockerr, on 14 January 2016 - 12:56 AM, said:

the fv actually needes to poke to shoot ,he does not stay in the corner rubbing his [edited]and clicking,so your comment is invalid

Some FV 183 drivers, and other TD drivers as well, do sometimes sit back in arty land and click away....that is a fact that can be seen in some battles.  But, I can not comment on the rubbing their _____  as you have seen because I have not been that close and personal with wild FV drivers.  :D

chr1stos #23 Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26775 battles
  • [KOULA] KOULA

View PostAlexlockerr, on 14 January 2016 - 12:56 AM, said:

the fv actually needes to poke to shoot ,he does not stay in the corner rubbing his [edited]and clicking,so your comment is invalid

Actually I thought FV drivers did just that.

Ambush a corner with their 1750 alpha premium HESH shells looking to send people in the garage with one shot.

Which is totally broken but since he is not clicking from far away I guess lots of skill is required.

Look, I have never been wrecked by some bob playing a medium,and probably neither have you.

He can get lucky with one shot, lucky with two,once every full moon, and that's it.

We have all been wrecked by bobs driving FVs, Jagd E-100s, WTF E-100s, and of course,arty.

These are all tanks everyone will play regardless of skill to have fun, but some people exclusively because it's their best chance of actually making their presence felt in the game.

The higher the alpha of your tank, the less skill required to wreck people, simple as, regardless of class.

Being a top player though takes skill, again regardless of class.

chr1stos #24 Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26775 battles
  • [KOULA] KOULA

View Postmynameispuffs, on 14 January 2016 - 01:39 AM, said:

O rly?

Spoiler

I had a video on Youtube (now removed) of me hitting a light tank at full speed on the same map at 700m.

Nothing new there except at the last moment as I was tracking him down he got out of my arc and the tank traversed which resulted in full bloom of the reticle a split second before I fired the shot, so big it filled up the whole screen.

Needless to say my guided missile found him spot on :trollface:

My latest mishap, 261 sniping my IS-4 turret roof for 1850 dmg despite my best Lambada efforts.

People complain about all these but you know they are not the norm and RNG is one of the reasons I have not been bored of playing this game for 3 years now.

s0r1n3l #25 Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:58 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25750 battles
  • [VTL] VTL
The game meta now trends to meds gameplay, fast paced gameplay and hight alpha, slow reload tanks are falling out of favor. This goes for arty`s too. Now in my CGC if i get a match where i get to fire more than 5 shots i consider a good game. Because of the high pace and the fight moving fast from one spot to another tanks like the Jag don`t do as much dmg as they used to.

Alexlockerr #26 Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:26 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 16854 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View Postchr1stos, on 14 January 2016 - 08:33 AM, said:

Actually I thought FV drivers did just that.

Ambush a corner with their 1750 alpha premium HESH shells looking to send people in the garage with one shot.

Which is totally broken but since he is not clicking from far away I guess lots of skill is required.

Look, I have never been wrecked by some bob playing a medium,and probably neither have you.

He can get lucky with one shot, lucky with two,once every full moon, and that's it.

We have all been wrecked by bobs driving FVs, Jagd E-100s, WTF E-100s, and of course,arty.

These are all tanks everyone will play regardless of skill to have fun, but some people exclusively because it's their best chance of actually making their presence felt in the game.

The higher the alpha of your tank, the less skill required to wreck people, simple as, regardless of class.

Being a top player though takes skill, again regardless of class.

It is one of the easiest tanks in the game ,load HESH and shoot . It doesn't matter where you hit ,also the alpha is way to high . My point was that at least he needs to a) poke to shoot or b) the enemy needs to poke to shoot it in comparison to artyllery that can shoot you behind houses

Element6 #27 Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 30792 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostAlexlockerr, on 14 January 2016 - 10:26 AM, said:

It is one of the easiest tanks in the game ,load HESH and shoot . It doesn't matter where you hit ,also the alpha is way to high . My point was that at least he needs to a) poke to shoot or b) the enemy needs to poke to shoot it in comparison to artyllery that can shoot you behind houses

I recently got the WT E-100 and installed coated optics and binocs on it. Spawned on sand river and held back, stayed still, and clipped an E-50 that some of my forward allies had spotted. All happened without me getting spotted. I could do that from range, with a LOS tank, due to spotting mechanics. I didn't need to poke at all, just stand still and let my enhanced viewrange do the job for me, while holding down the LMB. You can do pretty much the same in all high alpha tanks as long as the map allows for it. How would you have dealt with that? Anticipate my location and hide behind a rock?

So, we have easy class artillery and then we have easy class tier 10 beasts that need LOS. Clearly a problem limited to artillery.

chr1stos #28 Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 26775 battles
  • [KOULA] KOULA

View PostAlexlockerr, on 14 January 2016 - 11:26 AM, said:

And my point was that such a player looking to wreck people by poking around a corner and putting a 1750 alpha shot into somebody raging in chat about getting shot by artillery is a bit silly.

Anyway I don't think it's so important to insist on.

I have played a lot of arty of late due to my work sapping out all my energy and it really is a lot less stressful to play.

But you will find out that beyond that it is the same as any other class if you want to be good in it, rise above the average player.

Tactical awareness and always thinking "how am I going to win this", that's the name of the game.

Lots more RNG but over time it evens out so it doesn't matter.

And as annoying to it's victims as it's always been.

As it turns out it may be the only viable counter against some noob OP tanks, such as the low tier Jap heavies and even the E5, depending on team compositions.

And when you get a one sided battle skill-wise, where one team has a skilled top tier platoon and you have the top tier tomatos, it's usually the SPGs that can actually give the tomato team a chance by throwing in a big unknown factor with their huge guns and their big RNG.

Which you wouldn't like but I think it's actually a good thing.

I've always paid my "taxes" in the IS-4 and wouldn't complain, you can always make a difference if not always get the monster games you'd like.

Why did I right this?

Because it's obvious what you want to say, even the 183 takes SOME skill, unlike SPGs that bobs play.

It's there to "balance" unicums such as yourself and I see why you wouldn't like that,especially with XVM around.

Gnomus #29 Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 34526 battles
  • [ASEET] ASEET

View Postmynameispuffs, on 14 January 2016 - 12:39 AM, said:

O rly?

Spoiler

This really well shows the skill used in shot and how difficult achieving it was. Or actually not. It tells us nothing more than that such hits can happen. After all every shell shot needs to get down somewhere.

Shot was either:

- Very skilled, expecting the exact position LT was going to be (and enough luck to have shell go where it was wanted)

or

- Lot of lucky to have shell impact where needed even if aim was badly wrong.

Would you like to come to training room and show how you can repeat such feat time after time? Let's give some room to bad RNG, so lets say 7/10 tries one shot to LT going 70km/h? After all it is supposed to be easy.

Kenraali_Kehitysvamma #30 Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 17496 battles

especially puffs there said almost all to be said, but heres little more;

70km/h camper surprisingly easy to hit if goes just straight line, sudden steers are best to make it harder for arty, keep your speed up but make just enough steering to not bump into possible splashradius.

allways try to keep your strongest armor towards arty, or direction you think arty is. armor eats HE for breakfast. can do a 30hp critical to yankee turret, but next shot to engine deck takes 1000hp.

if have troubles to memorize, you could make a note about different artys reloads, avg pen and stuff like that, whether has low or high shell arch, top speeds and so on. then just check info from that note at start of battle.

and looking other artys, most of them just sit where they spawn the whole game, but some clickers have found tracks and engine and sometimes drive few kilometres during battle. now and then some sneaky arty can sneak for cheeky sideshots straight from start, gotta remember those kind of surprises also. not such thing as 100% artysafe, allways possibility. xvm helps with what to expect, but its not even close to 100% reliable on that.

and one thing that bothers me is that so many players point their barrels where they are going, its like roadsign "look mr arty im going there pls shoot me".

some arty has also 7. sense on things like where you are going to pop up for shot or two, where you are hiding in your TD, not hard to counter that, just avoid obvious places and obvious behaviour, sometimes even doing the most obvious on purpose works.

sixth sense icon is the one and only arty warning you get, its just the same with other classes, when you are lit up then any tank that has a shot on you takes it, unless more juicy targets elsewhere.

statistically thinking, lets say about 2,5 artys perside on avg, makes every 2,5 out of 15 enemies arty, makes you die from arty 2,5 times out of 15 deaths, plus variables thrown in the mix ofc. try to keep on eye on that and you see if you are killed by arty too many times, who knows if you see that you are doing it very well already

b0d #31 Posted 26 February 2016 - 05:51 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21327 battles
  • [-SJA-] -SJA-

Hi

Don't be predictable, in a nutshell. 

Break away from combat longer than your allies and the arty will focus them.  Move away to another outside of the arties "aim zone".  You cant expect to sit and brawl without interference unless you are blocked by houses etc.

Arties appear intimidating but in my only HT KV1 honestly most games I rarely get taken out.  The only way to reliable way to avoid arty is to move to areas that provide plenty of cover with options for relocating.  They are just another element of gameplay that need to be considered when making tactical decisions.  Most players that whine about arty dont do this, they are not good players, despite their "good" stats.  If you cant cross that open ground because you will get nailed by arty, then guess what, cross that ground and fail or make another opportunity for yourself.

If you hang around in arty accessible areas you are going to get hit.

For those maps that have no cover you have to break off and present yourself as a less attractive target to arty.

valtsu50 #32 Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Private

• Player
  • 6724 battles

View PostSonOfNobby, on 20 October 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

I literally cannot play ONE game without getting hit constantly by artillery.

Just going to keep this short- How in the name of holy hell do you avoid them?

I've tried hiding, constantly moving ect.

But I spend most of my games in Heavies, tank destroyers and even the slower medium tanks hiding behind a rock, because I know if I pop out some pro in an S-51 will skilfully remove half of my HP.

Can anyone help? Because its really starting to make me want to stop playing the game, because no matter what I do, arty always kills me.

Try playing arty and finding the places where they can or cannot shoot. Also knowing common arty positions will help a ton hunting them down.

Statpadderer #33 Posted 02 August 2017 - 08:08 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 25888 battles
  • [QSF-C] QSF-C
Posted Image

Edited by Statpadderer, 02 August 2017 - 08:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users