A Pretty Musical Thread

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Woody1999 #1 Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:40 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15837 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Well, we've had plenty of "music" threads about music that you listen to, but as far as I know there's not been a thread about playing music yet. I'm a hobbyist musician, I'd say, but I'm not very good. I know, however, that we have some very talented musicians hanging around the OT forum... *cough* Vonnis? *cough*

I used to play a fair bit of saxophone, trumpet, keyboard and that kind of stuff. Was into jazz and blues a lot more than I am now. Don't miss playing those instruments one bit though. Awkward to set up, practicing was genuinely an effort (something I don't do very well :P) and eventually got bored with the jazz genre.

Now, I play a lot of something I find a lot more interesting. Namely, the guitar and it's fatter, more classy (IMO) brother, the bass. Been playing guitar for about 4 years, bass about 3. Entirely self-taught on both. After this amount of time...still not very good. I think it's mostly down to the fact I don't "practice" as such. I just play. Find a song I like, learn it. No techniques, no reading music. Guess they're bad habits.

I'm the bassist and now and then the rhythm guitarist for my band "Truefield". Don't ask about the name, my mate Thom decided on the name and he's a little bit insane :D

My current instruments go as follows:

Acoustic: Yamaha F310 Tobacco Brown Sunburst

Classical: Admira Alba

Bass: Stagg BC300 Fusion Natural (4-string, passive)

Electric: Gibson Les Paul 40th Anniversary Midnight Blue (loaned to me on occasion by my friend)

Will be adding an Ibanez SR375-BBS to my lineup soon, as my first five-string, active 3-way EQ bass. Will copy my post from the forum bar over into here so you can see the full details.

So enough rambling on from me. Any other musicians here? Care to share your instruments/skills/pictures/videos with us?

Woody

Woody1999 #2 Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:44 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15837 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Okay, here it is:

Ladies und Mentlegen. I have decided upon which bass guitar I will be buying myself as a Christmas present. Behold, the mighty (but still kinda average) Ibanez SR375-BBS.

Spoiler

The name is actually pretty simple to decipher. SR is the series. 37 is the model. 5 is the amount of the strings. BBS means Blackberry Sunburst, which is the colour.

For any music geeks out there, I'll list a few notable features:

- it's a five string!

- it has active 3-band EQ

- has two Cap EXF-N2 humbuckers

Woody

Edited by Woody1999, 20 October 2015 - 08:45 PM.

Effing_Drako #3 Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:59 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 26678 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
Been a long time since i played any sort of musical instrument. But I was taught how to play the Baritone Horn + The accordion. The former i have played in front of a large audience more than once.

K_A #4 Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:24 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13643 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

I used to play guitar in a band we formed together with some school mates back in the day, nowadays I just play at home only. My setup currently (pics later when I'm not drunk and there's a better light):

guitar: ESP LTD MH250NT, 6-string neck-though superstrat with Seymour Duncan Dimebucker bridge and Invader neck pickups and tone knob modded to split the coils for when I want to play clean single-coil stuff

amp: Blackstar HT-5H 5-watt tube head and a Marshall Valvestate 8080 that I ghetto-modded to act as a 1x12" cab for the Blackstar because the Marshall itself has some faulty soldering (it's old) and I'm too lazy to open it up and fix it

pedals: only a Boss GE-7 EQ pedal at the moment, that was the first I needed as the Blackstar is a bit bass-heavy especially with the neck pickup but I JUST today put out an order from Thomann for a Tubescreamer clone and a delay pedal, both cheap Harley Bentons (don't kill me plz I know they're crapbut they were the cheapest!!) 

I also have an Ibanez acoustic guitar, steel-string, I play sometimes for the lolz.

Back when I still played in the band I had multiple different guitars (all cheap, 400€ max), tried out an Epiphone Explorer and Les Paul, LTD Flying V and an Ibanez RG and the strat was the one that fit my hand the best, hence the current guitar. I also used to use the 80-watt Marshall Valvestate through a 4x12 cab, our drummer was rather heavy-handed so a 1x12 just wouldn't cut it even though I was basically the rythm guitarist.

Edited by K_A, 20 October 2015 - 10:29 PM.

_Warris_ #5 Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:14 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 40313 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Long ago I thought I wanted to write tracks with an acid synthesizer. But it would take too long to learn. I don't like that. Stopped after a year of lessons around 6 years ago.:P

Would love to be able to do stuff like this:

Or rather this:

o-o

Pandabird #6 Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:15 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

I play the harmonica as a hobby :P

I love violins, but even more i envy a proper accordion.

I owned a Hohner morino, my dad gave it to me when i made that dip christie thingy.

I'm sorry but i can't be more specific. I utterly suck but i really really want to learn how to play this bloody instrument

Edited by Pandabird, 20 October 2015 - 11:49 PM.

Woody1999 #7 Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:05 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15837 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Seems like you invested quite a bit into your guitars, K_A. I'm still using a small Fender Rumble 30W for my main practice amp, and a Warwick BC150 150W bass amp for gigging. Not ventured into building my own amps with custom heads and cabs yet, I don't take it seriously enough. Maybe some day, if I have the money for it!

​@Panda - go for it mate! You might be the first ever famous...wotsitcalled...player!

Woody

Edited by Woody1999, 21 October 2015 - 06:10 AM.

K_A #8 Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:52 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13643 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
Actually not as much as one would think. I've bounght pretty much everything second-hand except my first guitar which incidentally was the acoustic guitar I still have, and that only cost around 300€ new. Buying stuff second-hand if great because you are often able to sell it away for around the same amount as you purchased it for. I used to quite often buy a second-hand guitar for ~200-400€, play with it for a while and then sell it away for the same amount and use that money to buy the next one until I found what I liked. If there's one thing that sucks money with guitars it's the pedals. They're often 50-150€ even used, and you buy one because you think it's fun and then another one because it sounds cool and then another one because a mate told you it was good and then another because you want variety and if you don't watch yourself you might end up with four figures worth of pedals half of which you never really even use except for funny sounds that aren't even useful when actually playing.

Woody1999 #9 Posted 21 October 2015 - 12:58 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15837 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I just have two pedals, and both are cheapo Behringers that just do the one thing. I've got their Overdrive pedal from when I didn't used to have an amp with overdrive built in, and a compression pedal for that sweet squeeze bass sound.

Woody

TsundereWaffle #10 Posted 21 October 2015 - 01:48 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27233 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

We have a piano in the living room but I'm not really that good at playing it.

Or well, I can play the first ~50 seconds of this, the rest is just no go, already took me like a couple of months just to get that first part right.

Spoiler

K_A #11 Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:34 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13643 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Let's get the videos out then. Here's the only demo we did when I was 'about 17-18 I think, recorded in the basement of our lead guitarist's family home and mixed by our singer who has no experience in mixing:

And here's the only live thing we ever did, it was a youth band contest. Audio is even worse as it's recorded with a cellphone camera and mic. I'm the long-haired blonde on the right:

Woody1999 #12 Posted 21 October 2015 - 06:24 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15837 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Vaeltaja - I have to give it to you. Love the guitar, the drums are pretty great as well. Not so sure about the vocals, but it's not in my general music taste so I wouldn't particularly like them anyway. They're also in a language I don't speak :P

Kooma - Again, guitar is great. Liking the strong baseline, if we had a studio recording of that it would sound incredible. Vocals, again, probably great but not my cup of tea.

In other news, I'm already doubting if I should get the Ibanez. Sometime next week I'll pop into my local guitar store and see if I can find a bass I like the feel of. No way I'm ordering a bass online if I haven't played it before.

Woody

K_A #13 Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:07 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13643 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostWoody1999, on 21 October 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

Vaeltaja - I have to give it to you. Love the guitar, the drums are pretty great as well. Not so sure about the vocals, but it's not in my general music taste so I wouldn't particularly like them anyway. They're also in a language I don't speak :P

Kooma - Again, guitar is great. Liking the strong baseline, if we had a studio recording of that it would sound incredible. Vocals, again, probably great but not my cup of tea.

In other news, I'm already doubting if I should get the Ibanez. Sometime next week I'll pop into my local guitar store and see if I can find a bass I like the feel of. No way I'm ordering a bass online if I haven't played it before.

Woody

Thanks man :great: It's all in Finnish so I didn't expect a large audience here, also the quality is what it is.

In other news, no surprise you're having second thoughts. There  is such a big selection that there's always another guitar or bass that's almost like it but just a bit better and they are all slightly different when it comes to shape and feel of the body and neck and everything is very much down to personal preference. Just if you do go to the guitar store don't be an a-hole who tries the guitars there but then after finding a good one orders it online "because it was cheaper that way". If you're buying new, be a sport and support your local dealer, be nice to them and they'll often set it up with the strings of your choice and tune it up just good, something an online store will never do.

_Warris_ #14 Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:19 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 40313 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

"lets get to the video thing"

Oh gosh, that reminded me that me and a friend used to write some songs and upload them on YT.. On the first take. I found them, and im NOT going to link them. Cringeworthy. (2010)

Woody1999 #15 Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:59 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15837 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I might have phrased that wrong. I was always going to buy the guitar from the music store, not online because I couldn't get a feel for it if I'd never played it before. I couldn't be sure I would be able to test a guitar I find on the internet anyway.

Woody

Woody1999 #16 Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:16 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 15837 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I have found a Fender MIM Jazz Bass for £429...scam or not? The website seems pretty legit:

https://www.bax-shop...dQbcaAjpv8P8HAQ

If not it's an absolute steal. These things normally sell for >£700!

Woody

K_A #17 Posted 24 October 2015 - 11:14 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13643 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostWoody1999, on 24 October 2015 - 02:16 AM, said:

I have found a Fender MIM Jazz Bass for £429...scam or not? The website seems pretty legit:

Woody

A quick google search gives an average price of roughly $600 or just under 600€, which I think will sit quite near that price.

TsundereWaffle #18 Posted 24 October 2015 - 03:51 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 27233 battles
  • [LEWD] LEWD

View PostWoody1999, on 24 October 2015 - 03:16 AM, said:

Woody

Bax-Shop is legit, bought stuff there before, or at least, in the Dutch Bax-Shop

Joggaman #19 Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:16 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 24168 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Hi woody!

Bass players are hard to come across, so you will be popular!

I play the drums in a rock/funk band. In our rehearsal rooms (yes we have two different locations) I play acoustic sets, and at home I have a digital Roland drum set. 

Edited by Joggaman, 26 October 2015 - 10:01 PM.

Velvet_Underground #20 Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:45 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 22243 battles
Hi guys, I've spent some time playing keyboard and thought about getting myself a new shiny guitar :) Could you give a total newbie some advice which kind etc you would choose and the best place to buy it (local stores, internet or something)? I'd be very grateful:honoring:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users