If UK leaves the EU - will we get our own server?

servers

• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

Gazbeard #1 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:02 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 16754 battles
  • [TRAKD] TRAKD

This is not as facetious or frivolous as it might first sound.

If the UK does leave the EU, one result will be a huge set of changes to UK laws while ditching many that were imposed on us by Brussels.  Some of those changes will very likely relate to both cross border trade and using the internet for doing so.  The tax and VAT regimes will change.  It is even possible a rule could be brought in that using a British ccTLD domain name would require a company have a physical presence in the UK.

Given the mood of the nation right now, it appears more likely that the UK will vote to leave the EU than to stay in it.

What thought have WarGaming given to the consequences should such an election result occur?

Would it not be better to begin planning the implementation of a UK or Western Europe server now, before such a decision may be forced upon them by a national referendum and government in full retreat from borderless trade?

Effing_Drako #2 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:05 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 26678 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-
A new server probably will not be set up. The current servers are setup to serve Europe, not the European union. If UK got its own server, not enough people would play on it

TankkiPoju #3 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 20733 battles
  • [-PJ-] -PJ-

I'm sure WG will be more than happy to add UK server(s).

And then you can start the grind again from tier 1, since your account won't be moved from EU servers.

Mr_Sukebe #4 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

Major

• Player
  • 32318 battles
  • [ZOLO] ZOLO

If you have XVM installed, you may well have spotted how many Brits actually play the game.  The answer appears to be very few, as it's fairly rare that I see another Bri in the same game as me.  Based upon that, I'd wonder about the viability of a dedicated server even if WG considered it an appropriate solution.

Laatikkomafia #5 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 21867 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P
I think in this case, EU means Europe instead of European Union.

fat__rat #6 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 6590 battles
UK won't leave the EU, despite the disadvantages we have in the EU the benefits far outway them, it's just the politicians trying to look busy and probably divert our attention away from something else they're doing

lord_chipmonk #7 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34064 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
I doubt it would make a jot of difference. You have Australian players playing on both SEA and US servers, South Africans playing on EU and many people (especially if they have a youtube presence) playing on multiple reagonal servers. I don't see why the UK would be different. 

cu_chulainn_ #8 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:14 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 43487 battles
Servers are regional not political. I think ya put too much thought into this

Carantanien #9 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:15 PM

Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 16815 battles
  • [-322-] -322-

OP: Enlighten me how will you move UK (whole land) away from europe ?!? :P

Do norway, swiss, bosna, serbia, montenegro, makedonija etc have their own server?

Why people think europe union and europe are totaly same thing???

Edited by Carantanien, 29 October 2015 - 02:16 PM.

YouPuB #10 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16667 battles

UK residents can play WOT already on EU, NA or RU servor. I don't think it's going to change anything.

Moreover, I dont see the point to make a new servor renamed UK. You could arguably say that introducing a EU3 servor would be way more useful.

Finally, it's very unlikely that people would restart from scratch in a new UK servor, given their past investments on EU servor.

Because yes : changing servor -> everyone rerolls from start :D

signal11th #11 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:22 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37605 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View PostVorpalChicken, on 29 October 2015 - 01:11 PM, said:

UK won't leave the EU, despite the disadvantages we have in the EU the benefits far outway them, it's just the politicians trying to look busy and probably divert our attention away from something else they're doing

Going to bite but can you list some benefits please? Also please list the benefits that we don't have to pay for that we get for free because I always thought a benefit is something you get for nothing and a service is something your pay for???

Just on another note that not once in the 32 years the UK has been a member of the EU in it's various guises have we received more than we have paid in so I'm struggling to see the benefits you're speaking of?

Edited by signal11th, 29 October 2015 - 02:30 PM.

Laatikkomafia #12 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:38 PM

Brigadier

• Beta Tester
  • 21867 battles
  • [ELC-P] ELC-P

View Postsignal11th, on 29 October 2015 - 03:22 PM, said:

Going to bite but can you list some benefits please? Also please list the benefits that we don't have to pay for that we get for free because I always thought a benefit is something you get for nothing and a service is something your pay for???

Just on another note that not once in the 32 years the UK has been a member of the EU in it's various guises have we received more than we have paid in so I'm struggling to see the benefits you're speaking of?

Finns are lucky. We have gotten back more than we have paid - twice.

Glory to Arstotzka EU.

lord_chipmonk #13 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:41 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34064 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View Postsignal11th, on 29 October 2015 - 02:22 PM, said:

Might be best to avoid a political discussion. Firstly the mods generally don't like it and secondly this is a game. 

OP, when they refresh, I'll fix one of those negs you've picked up. 

YouPuB #14 Posted 29 October 2015 - 02:42 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 16667 battles

View Postsignal11th, on 29 October 2015 - 01:22 PM, said:

Camembert and tasty baguette ? :trollface:

Cobra6 #15 Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:01 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 16332 battles
  • [RGT] RGT

After having worked and lived in the UK for close to 9 years I can safely say you will not leave the UK, no matter how much a minority wants to.

British people are far too multi-cultural and politically correct to vote "no" against the EU.

As for the servers, should the split hypothetically happen then they might put an EU3 in the UK.

Cobra 6

Edited by Cobra6, 29 October 2015 - 03:02 PM.

signal11th #16 Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:07 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37605 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View PostCartoonVillain, on 29 October 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

You got me, what other benefits do you need? :P

Very true well worth the price if you ask me.

signal11th #17 Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:09 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37605 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View Postlord_chipmonk, on 29 October 2015 - 01:41 PM, said:

Might be best to avoid a political discussion. Firstly the mods generally don't like it and secondly this is a game.

OP, when they refresh, I'll fix one of those negs you've picked up.

Yes sorry I will stop , I just get annoyed when people make sweeping statements like that with no actual proof of what they are saying. It's the same as saying going round world 4 times backwards increases your life expectancy by 40% easy to say and gullible people will believe it with no source or reference material offered. I find it bloody annoying.

signal11th #18 Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 37605 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL

View PostCobra6, on 29 October 2015 - 02:01 PM, said:

After having worked and lived in the UK for close to 9 years I can safely say you will not leave the UK, no matter how much a minority wants to.

British people are far too multi-cultural and politically correct to vote "no" against the EU.

As for the servers, should the split hypothetically happen then they might put an EU3 in the UK.

Cobra 6

I wouldn't argue either way as I'm actually pro Europe and have a half French daughter but I will probably vote to leave just because I don't like it's current setup and it's too much of a huge monolith to change itself but that is for a different forum and a different time.

lord_chipmonk #19 Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:12 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 34064 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View Postsignal11th, on 29 October 2015 - 03:09 PM, said:

Yes sorry I will stop , I just get annoyed when people make sweeping statements like that with no actual proof of what they are saying. It's the same as saying going round world 4 times backwards increases your life expectancy by 40% easy to say and gullible people will believe it with no source or reference material offered. I find it bloody annoying.

Yeah, I do understand. Vorpal might have had a point though in that it wouldn't be the first time in history politicians (or anyone else for that matter) has tried to divert attention away from something else. 

Murphy1up #20 Posted 29 October 2015 - 03:32 PM

Lieutenant General

• Military Reserve
  • 11249 battles
  • [-QQ-] -QQ-

View PostGazbeard, on 29 October 2015 - 01:02 PM, said:

This is not as facetious or frivolous as it might first sound.

If the UK does leave the EU, one result will be a huge set of changes to UK laws while ditching many that were imposed on us by Brussels.  Some of those changes will very likely relate to both cross border trade and using the internet for doing so.  The tax and VAT regimes will change.  It is even possible a rule could be brought in that using a British ccTLD domain name would require a company have a physical presence in the UK.

Given the mood of the nation right now, it appears more likely that the UK will vote to leave the EU than to stay in it.

What thought have WarGaming given to the consequences should such an election result occur?

Would it not be better to begin planning the implementation of a UK or Western Europe server now, before such a decision may be forced upon them by a national referendum and government in full retreat from borderless trade?

Any changes would not happen overnight, we tend to not get wrapped up in future hypothetical situations. Beside the "what if" situation, as it stands now there is various non EU member states which are currently able to enjoy World of Tanks with no issues.  Just ask all our Norwegian, Icelandic, Turkish, Serbian, Bosnian, Albanian, Swiss and Macedonian players who log in and play daily.

Also tagged with servers

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users