Object 704

Object 704 Object 704 FAQ

• Please log in to reply
612 replies to this topic

Poll: Allowing the community to decide. (778 members have cast votes)

What equipment do you use on the Object 704?

1. Improved Ventilation Class 3 (463 votes [20.45%])

Percentage of vote: 20.45%

2. "Wet" Ammo Rack Class 2 (4 votes [0.18%])

Percentage of vote: 0.18%

3. Toolbox (20 votes [0.88%])

Percentage of vote: 0.88%

4. Large-caliber Tank Gun Rammer (698 votes [30.83%])

Percentage of vote: 30.83%

5. Large Spall Liner (29 votes [1.28%])

Percentage of vote: 1.28%

6. Fill Tanks with CO2 (2 votes [0.09%])

Percentage of vote: 0.09%

7. Enhanced Torsion Bars 5+ t Class (4 votes [0.18%])

Percentage of vote: 0.18%

8. Enhanced Gun Laying Drive (242 votes [10.69%])

Percentage of vote: 10.69%

9. Coated Optics (46 votes [2.03%])

Percentage of vote: 2.03%

10. Binocular Telescope (315 votes [13.91%])

Percentage of vote: 13.91%

11. Camouflage Net (428 votes [18.90%])

Percentage of vote: 18.90%

12. Cyclone Filter (3 votes [0.13%])

Percentage of vote: 0.13%

13. None (10 votes [0.44%])

Percentage of vote: 0.44%

What Consumables do you use on the Object 704?

1. Large Repair Kit (41 votes [1.83%])

Percentage of vote: 1.83%

2. Large First Aid Kit (31 votes [1.39%])

Percentage of vote: 1.39%

3. Extra Combat Rations (11 votes [0.49%])

Percentage of vote: 0.49%

4. Automatic Fire Extinguishers (74 votes [3.31%])

Percentage of vote: 3.31%

5. Lend-Lease Oil (26 votes [1.16%])

Percentage of vote: 1.16%

6. Small Repair Kit (704 votes [31.48%])

Percentage of vote: 31.48%

7. Small First Aid Kit (696 votes [31.13%])

Percentage of vote: 31.13%

8. Removed Speed Governor (50 votes [2.24%])

Percentage of vote: 2.24%

9. Manual Fire Extinguishers (581 votes [25.98%])

Percentage of vote: 25.98%

10. None (22 votes [0.98%])

Percentage of vote: 0.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

Charcharo #1 Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:28 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18808 battles
  • [ZER0] ZER0

POPULAR

Object 704 is a tier 9 Heavy Tank Destroyer. Positioned near the top of the Soviet stealth fighters, this beastly machine uses a combination of camouflage and incredible damage per shot to ward of its attackers. The good mantlet armor means that people still using auto aim will not live for much longer (and hopefully learn to aim).
Previous vehicle: ISU-152 (Beast killer)
http://forum.worldof...2/page__st__100
Next vehicle: Object 268
http://forum.worldof...709-object-268/
Tanks specs:

Upgrade tree:

Overview:
The Object 704 is the first relatively heavily armored soviet TD, a definitive improvement over the ISU. It features a 300mm gun superstructure and uniquely built side and frontal armor. Despite this, your front is penetrable by 170 + penetration guns (unless you can slope it some more artificially) which means that superior camouflage is still your best defense. An improved BL-10 (better RoF and accuracy) will be your weapon of choice and the great radio will never make you feel lost. Unfortunately, for some strange reason you are the slowest turning TD (unless on concrete). Another feature which is both good and bad is your low and wide profile. It makes you a harder target for most tanks and definitely helps your hiding and camouflage abilities, but it does not allow you to peak over cover efficiently, makes you an easy target for artillery and is probably the reason for the bad gun depression. Some tanks, usually those with a frontally mounted gun or turret, can use your width to get a good shot on your weak hull armor on close quarter battles without hearing your BL-10's reply.
Price: 3,660,000 credits
Camouflage: Very good.
Gun Depression: -6°/+18°
Gun Arc: -11°/+11°

Pros:
- The gun hits hard.
- Camouflage is great.
- Speed and acceleration are very good.
- AP penetration is the highest in the game.
- Gun mantlet is 320mm.
- Can put BL-10 from the start.
- Low profile.
Cons:
- Armor is still not that good.
- Turns like a whale.
- BL-10 seems to have a life of its own…
- Stock gun (if there are people that actually don’t have the BL-10 from the ISU) is made of fail.
- Very wide.
- Bad gun depression.
Designation:
1. Warrior 2. Heavy Support 3. Heavy Tank Killer
Crew:
1. Commander (also a radioman)
2. Gunner
3. Driver
4. Loader
5. Loader
Using your ISU crew is recommendable.
Modules:
Hull:
Armor scheme currently in use:
Spoiler

120/90/60
The hull is decently armored. 120mm at that slope is around 170-180 mm of effective armor which is much better than the ISU. Your gun is heavily armored with 300+ mm of steel and will actually provide the majority of your bounciness. Your side is uniquely built which means that T6 and T7 meds might have trouble with it in places. Still, of the 3 T9 TDs the 704 is the least armored at the front… as long as your enemy can aim.
Suspension:
Object 704 / Max. capacity 48.86 / Turn speed 19 deg per sec
Object 704M / Max. capacity 50.9 / Turn speed 22 deg per sec

Getting the better suspension is advisable, but you dont need it for the BL-10. Still, it will help for other modules and make you more mobile.
Engine:
V-11 - 650 h.p. - 15% chance of fire
V-2-54IS – 700 h.p. – 12 % chance of fire

Getting the better engine will make a real difference to your mobility. It’s a grade A engine and will help you unlocking the rest of the Soviet tech tree. V-2-54IS gives you 13.3 h.p. per ton.
Radio:
10RK – Range 440 meters
12RT – Range 625 meters
R113 – Range 730 meters

The good radio even weighs less, not to mention how good it is. The stock one is pretty crappy and I suggest upgrading at least to the 12RT.
Gun:
152 mm ML-20SM mod. 1944
RoF: 3,50
Penetration: 135/228/86
Average damage: 700/700/010
Accuracy (100m): 0,46
Aim time: 2,7

The worst stock gun of all T9 TDs, but on the bright side you can equip the BL-10 even with stock suspension. There really is no reason to keep this gun or even use it. It’s useless at this point. If you for some reason don't have the BL-10 researched, (I feel for you) I suggest you load HE or learn the weak spots of every tank perfectly. Also, specialize in guerrilla warfare by hiding till your enemy has passed, and then shoot him in the behind!
152.4 mm BL-10
RoF: 3,51
Penetration: 286/329/90
Average damage: 750/750/950
Accuracy (100m): 0,39
Aim time: 2,9

The real deal and the reason why 704s are so feared. Every Object should have it, as it should have been unlocked on the ISU-152. It deals damage comparable to that of a T10 TD, with incredible penetration and can almost auto aim tier 10 tanks. The powerful HE shell means that even the Maus tank can feel threatened, no matter the slope or distance. On the other hand, even this powerful gun has flaws. It aims so slowly, you might think it does it on purpose. Although decent, the accuracy is not that good and the RoF means that missing is a luxury you can’t afford. Another great “feature” is that this gun has a mind of its own. Some of the strangest bounces and craziest misses have happened with this otherwise great gun.
Premium ammo is APCR, which loses penetration with distance, but does get a normalization bonus against sloped armour.
Proposed upgrade path:
1. Suspension
2. Engine
3. Radio
*If you dont have BL-10 go for it first!
Comparison with its peers:
Object 704 vs SU-122-54
The SU-122 is faster than the Object and turns much faster and accelerates better. Its guns are more accurate and fire faster but have less penetration and damage than the famous BL-10. SU-122-54 has slightly less armour than the Object 704.
Object 704 vs JagdTiger
The JagdTiger is capable of going hull down (the superstructure can bounce BL-10, be careful) and also has a little better frontal armor. Its gun is much more accurate and aims much faster. 704 has better AP penetration but worse APCR penetration. The Tiger turns faster, except on concrete and roads, despite what the statistics say. You do more damage per shot and have a better HE round, but the Tiger fires faster. The object has better side armor and is easier to hide with better camo and a lower profile.
In short:
JagdTiger is more accurate and fires faster.
704 has better camo.
Jtiger has better armor and hull down ability.
704 has better damage per shot and a great mantlet
704 is more mobile (though JagdTiger turns better)

Object 704 vs T95
T95 is a lot more armored than the 704. Its also MUCH slower. It carries a slightly slower and less penetrating 155mm gun, but does the same damage. Both have good camo, though 704 is better in this category
In short:
704 is much faster than T95.
T95 is a lot more armored.
Both have a similar top gun, but the BL-10 is just better
The T95 also can use its T28 top gun if you want to switch to a different play stile.

Historical Object 704:

One prototype, developed in 1945, used elements of the IS-2 and IS-3 tanks. The overall height of the vehicle was reduced to 2240 mm, which was compensated with an increased width of the superstructure. The factory designation was Object 704 (Объект 704). It was armed with the 152.4 mm ML-20SM model 1944 (МЛ-20СМ обр. 1944 г.) gun-howitzer, with a barrel length of over 4.5 meters (29.6 calibers) and no muzzle brake, which further increased the firepower of the gun.
It had a maximum range of 13,000 meters. The self-propelled gun carried 20 rounds of two piece (shell and charge) armor-piercing and high explosive ammunition. The armor-piercing round, weighing 48.78 kg, had a muzzle velocity of 655 m/s. The rate of fire was 1-2 round/min. The ISU-152 model 1945 had four hatches at the superstructure roof and one emergency hatch at the bottom of the hull behind the driver's seat, which had an armored cover.
The self-propelled gun carried two external fuel tanks (90 liters each) not connected to the supply system. The secondary armament of the fighting vehicle consisted of two 12.7 x 108 mm DShK machine guns, one anti-aircraft and one co-axial.
The protection was increased by placing thicker armor at more radical angles. In the area of the gun, where the mantlet combined with the hull front behind it and the housing of the recoil mechanism, the armor thickness was 320 mm. The ISU-152 model 1945 (ИСУ-152 обр. 1945 г.) was the best protected of all experimental or production Soviet self-propelled guns of the Second World War. However, the radical incline of the superstructure walls combined with the increased recoil of the gun, due to the lack of a muzzle brake, significantly complicated the work of the crew, and for this reason mainly wasn't adopted. Today, the self-propelled gun is exhibited at the Kubinka Tank Museum.
Suggestions for better balance:
- Make 704 at least need the tracks to mount the BL-10

Edited by Charcharo, 13 February 2014 - 05:43 PM.

Arkhell #2 Posted 25 August 2011 - 01:50 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10541 battles
QFT awesome tank, but armor is overrated and the BL-10 is bad for your health really sometimes it's god gift to a tanker and other times your litterly screaming at the game cause you managed to bounce on a panzer 4 -_-

DrBake #3 Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:00 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7927 battles
Keep up the great work!!!! :Smile-izmena:  +1

BERZERK #4 Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:05 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 1533 battles

Wow i was totally unware of this, i guess the Object is the only tank/TD ingame that can mount the largest gun w.o track upgrade
except the E100..
Considering its based on IS2/3 i guess it have some extra load capacity to spare (GW panther is a good example) but fix please just for "balance", things like this makes lame people go emo and scream "russians are overpowered" for no real reason..
I had a Jagdtiger in BETA and did borrow a clanmates account to test his Object when it came out and first my impression was that the Object had a small
edge on the Jagdtiger but once i learn how to aim and not to aim on a Object i considered them to be fairly balanced, if they are fixed in a "bad"(bouncy) angle dont be afraid to load som HE and aim for their gun...
Objects are also very grateful targets for arty since you can do massive damage to them by splashing them from the front.
Tier 7-8-9 TD`s are all very good balanced in my opinion, Wargaming done a good job there (compare it to the tier 7 heavys pre Tiger-P and not to mention tier 5 heavy).

Thanks for a good article, its abit basic but i guess its of very good use for a new player that try to make decisions for their levelling.

Charcharo #5 Posted 25 August 2011 - 02:16 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18808 battles
  • [ZER0] ZER0

View PostBERZERK, on 25 August 2011 - 02:05 PM, said:

Wow i was totally unware of this, i guess the Object is the only tank/TD ingame that can mount the largest gun w.o track upgrade
except the E100..
Considering its based on IS2/3 i guess it have some extra load capacity to spare (GW panther is a good example) but fix please just for "balance", things like this makes lame people go emo and scream "russians are overpowered" for no real reason..
I had a Jagdtiger in BETA and did borrow a clanmates account to test his Object when it came out and first my impression was that the Object had a small
edge on the Jagdtiger but once i learn how to aim and not to aim on a Object i considered them to be fairly balanced, if they are fixed in a "bad"(bouncy) angle dont be afraid to load som HE and aim for their gun...
Objects are also very grateful targets for arty since you can do massive damage to them by splashing them from the front.
Tier 7-8-9 TD`s are all very good balanced in my opinion, Wargaming done a good job there (compare it to the tier 7 heavys pre Tiger-P and not to mention tier 5 heavy).

Thanks for a good article, its abit basic but i guess its of very good use for a new player that try to make decisions for their levelling.
I am a JagdTiger driver myself  :Smile_honoring: . Find all TDs at T9 almost perfectly balanced. One of the few unfair things is the fact that you can mount the BL-10 right away
JagdTiger starts off with a good gun and doesnt have to get tracks, but still needs to grind for the best gun
T95 starts off with a PITA gun, but only needs tracks to get its good gun (120mm)
Object 704 mounts BL-10 right away...
Just lower stock suspension on the object. After they get the good suspension, let em mount BL-10  :Smile_honoring:

Charcharo #6 Posted 25 August 2011 - 05:38 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18808 battles
  • [ZER0] ZER0
Original Post (OP) is updated.
Added extra info in Overview and ML20.
May I ask someone that speaks german whether this site http://wotbase.de/skins/objekt-704 is actually being updated?

FatigueGalaxy #7 Posted 26 August 2011 - 08:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8674 battles

In short:
JagdTiger is more accurate and fires faster
704 has better camo
Jtiger has better armor and hull down ability
704 has better damage per shot and a great mantlet
704 is more mobile (though JagdTiger rams better)
704 armour seems to be better at sides and rear because slopes. I saw many meds couldn't hurt him because of dings when they sticked to his sides (they could not attack his rear because of rock). About JT - I can hurt it with my T-34-85 with idiot gun (D10-T) attacking sides and rear. Big superstructure is good because you can hull-down and show only most armoured parts but when meds stick to your sides, you're dead. I killed JT solo once this way. Even if he took 90% of my HP in one shot before I sticked to him. He had ~30% HP when I met him but I think it doesn't matter since he was hopeless as soon I got to his sides.
I met 704 alone many times too but only once I got close to this TD because he need one shot to kill me.

But I don't want to say 704 is better than JT. These tanks needs different playstyle but always need some support from team.

If I'm not wrong, every soviet TDs can mount best gun with stock tracks. Anyway - tracks are always first to upgrade on TDs and few battles to get better tracks in 704 won't make big difference.
My suggestion is to buff traverse speed a bit. 704 has almost same hull and weight as IS-3 but turning speed is much worse.

Only two?
Try here: http://mirtankov.net...object-704.html 40+ skins. Site is russian but nobody should have problems with navigation. You can use Google Translate too.

Cellfactor #8 Posted 27 August 2011 - 10:37 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6456 battles
Here are 7 pages of Skins  http://mirtankov.net/ussr/rupt/object-704.html

Charcharo #9 Posted 28 August 2011 - 05:26 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18808 battles
  • [ZER0] ZER0
@FatigueGalaxy and Cellfactor
Thank you guys, I will check this site later and see whether its usable for all my reviews. Once again, thanks!

Cellfactor #10 Posted 29 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 6456 battles
oops , sry i didn´t noticed that Fatigue posted it already  :Smile-hiding:

Ascender #11 Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:47 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 19176 battles
  • [EFE] EFE
I've always wondered are the Obj 704 dimensions ingame actually correct? When i look at the old photographs taken of this machine like on wikipedia or through google (actually turned up on WoT) and through the power of google the vehicle seems ALOT taller and less wide than it does ingame. It just seems less tall than the ISU somehow and i don't get how it became that wide...

Also it's lower hull seems to be bigger than it is ingame? If anyone could make some refrence screenshots that would b nice :)

Also @Char, keep up zhe good topics dude! 'Tis golden!

FatigueGalaxy #12 Posted 02 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

First Sergeant

• Player
  • 8674 battles
I just got it on test server. Currently 5 battles with 4 losses ;O 95% hit ratio with 14k+ dmg dealt. But test server is different - there's much more aggressive players and much more medium tanks - when you have to deal with them, arty is killing you. New light tanks are problem too.
It's not bad, I like this TD.  Additional HP (590 more than ISU) is nice, you can survive a lot more against lower tiers. Acceleration is nice but top speed is too low ;/ 40 km/h would be good.
'Fear factor' is nice sometimes but I don't like it at all. If I drive ISU ppl just don't care and rush to me - even if I have BL-10. When they'll get shot - they are getting back and before they find cover I can finish them. But with Object... As soon anybody meet me, he's trying to run and it's problematic since I have to leave cover (and places where I have better chances to survive) to kill them. And this is making my job harder because HTs are trying to hide their asses instead to rush at me and die...

Camo and sitting in bushes, shooting at enemies who are busy with your team, will be much harder when ppl will get T5 light tanks (when they get close to you, you can't do anything).

Armour is not reliable at all but it helps when you are moving&turning all the time, during reload (not sitting like duck) - it's harder to aim for enemy and there's better chances to gun mantlet shot. You can angle hull too - it will be harder to not hit that 300mm armour.

I have issue with dying crew. Arty shot landed behind me, didn't damage me or tracks, but two crewmen died. Almost every shot with penetration in front means death of gunner or driver. But maybe I have bad luck in these 5 battles.

Edit: Driving 704 is like sex. Even if your team suck (ppl on test sever dying in 3 mins - it can be your team or opponents...), it's pure fun. I don't know why since I have almost the same results in ISU (similar damage per battle and kills), only hit ratio is better in 704. I enjoy my ISU, but Object is a whole new level of enjoyment.

Edit 2: Wait, It's even better than sex!

Vlauski #13 Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:29 AM

Junior Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 8658 battles
Pleased to read, once again :) keep these coming dude! :Smile_honoring:

Haakon #14 Posted 10 September 2011 - 06:21 PM

Lance-corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 6625 battles

View Postarkhell, on 25 August 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

QFT awesome tank, but armor is overrated and the BL-10 is bad for your health really sometimes it's god gift to a tanker and other times your litterly screaming at the game cause you managed to bounce on a panzer 4 -_-

Seems like there is a huge hole in lower plate of 704 since everything above tier V can penetrate me (angled or not)...

Haakon

Josip666 #15 Posted 11 September 2011 - 12:46 AM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 36341 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostHaakon, on 10 September 2011 - 06:21 PM, said:

Seems like there is a huge hole in lower plate of 704 since everything above tier V can penetrate me (angled or not)...

Haakon

Same as in JT only even bigger :blink:

Ascender #16 Posted 13 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 19176 battles
  • [EFE] EFE

View PostHaakon, on 10 September 2011 - 06:21 PM, said:

Haakon
You know, someone once had to mention to me the Object 704 had a lower hull before i ever saw it. It's TINYYYYYYY. I don't think you can ever regard that as a factor in any combat situation as even the most accurate of guns cannot aim for something that narrow.

Josip666 #17 Posted 13 September 2011 - 10:04 PM

Senior Sergeant

• Player
  • 36341 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostAscender, on 13 September 2011 - 12:51 PM, said:

You know, someone once had to mention to me the Object 704 had a lower hull before i ever saw it. It's TINYYYYYYY. I don't think you can ever regard that as a factor in any combat situation as even the most accurate of guns cannot aim for something that narrow.

With JT i can shoot lower hull but its very hard to shoot it compared to JT! :Smile-izmena:

Ascender #18 Posted 18 September 2011 - 04:48 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 19176 battles
  • [EFE] EFE

View PostJosip666, on 13 September 2011 - 10:04 PM, said:

With JT i can shoot lower hull but its very hard to shoot it compared to JT! :Smile-izmena:
With my JT i don't even bother, the chance of missing and bouncing 100% is too big. I rather just aim for the hull as that's a more reliable way to place a hit on the vehicle which, if not angled, will usually go through.

But to regard the lower hull of the Obj 704 as a weakspot is just ridiculous. That's like regarding the bottom hull armor of a Maus as a weak spot...

Highway_Star #19 Posted 20 September 2011 - 11:51 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 12985 battles

View PostAscender, on 18 September 2011 - 04:48 PM, said:

But to regard the lower hull of the Obj 704 as a weakspot is just ridiculous. That's like regarding the bottom hull armor of a Maus as a weak spot...

The Maus is such an easy kill, that weakspot on the front of it is easy to hit because the Maus is slow. The Object is usually stationary, so it's even more vulnerable to weakspot shots.

SteT #20 Posted 22 September 2011 - 04:36 PM

First Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 13785 battles
  • [-VD-] -VD-
The BL-10 has to be one of the most frustrating guns at times. Really wish they would fix it.

Also tagged with Object, 704, Object 704, FAQ

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users