Fallout 4

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

LPTheory #1 Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 16810 battles

The day has come. Fallout 4 is released. I love it. Didn't do much in the game though. Spent few hours just rebuilding Sanctuary. This whole workshop stuff is basically Fallout Shelter on steroids and I love it. 

What's your impressions? Having fun? Of course you are..

__Zippy__ #2 Posted 10 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33282 battles
Pre purchased it yesterday. I'm at work til 4.30 so will play when I get home. Really looking forward to it. How does it look on ultra/max settings? 

Nokkeli #3 Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:11 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18015 battles
  • [SWEDH] SWEDH
I have not even completed Fallout 3 yet so i'm just gonna sit here and wait for Mass Effect Andromeda instead :P

__Zippy__ #4 Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:30 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 33282 battles
Fallout >mass effect 

K_A #5 Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:01 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13624 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
I bought Fallout: New Vegas during the last Steam summer sale and haven't even gotten to playing that.. Also I'm waiting for Star Wars Battlefront so will probably have to wait til next year to get Fallout 4..

Pandabird #6 Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:55 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

View PostIggle_Piggle, on 10 November 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

Fallout > any game

Fix. I even have a brotherhood of steel poster on my wall, fallout series mean that much to me :p

Can't wait to get home and try it out, hope it's nothing like new vegas.

Asghaad #7 Posted 11 November 2015 - 07:27 AM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 13273 battles
  • [PPDCZ] PPDCZ

if only it wasnt bugged as [Edit]...

if only its UI wasnt designed for [Edit]...

but its fun xD

Edited by LordAxalon, 12 November 2015 - 07:57 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content.

AliceUnchained #8 Posted 11 November 2015 - 01:51 PM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostPandabird, on 11 November 2015 - 01:55 AM, said:

Fix. I even have a brotherhood of steel poster on my wall, fallout series mean that much to me :p

Can't wait to get home and try it out, hope it's nothing like new vegas.

Fallout and Fallout 2 (with Restoration project) yes. Fallout 3 is a joke of game and the atmosphere/style of the previous 2 games is completely ruined by Bethesda. It's just Elder Scrolls with a total conversion MOD dumped on it to make it look like Fallout. And as much as I like the first 2, they're not better than Baldur's Gate/ BG II (not the expension) or Planescape Torment. They're all great.

Edited by AliceUnchained, 11 November 2015 - 01:52 PM.

Pandabird #9 Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:14 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

3 is my favourite out of the bunch. I am a huge fan of the elder scrools series though. But you are making it sound like the third is as bad as elder scrolls online which was a huge hunk of [Edit].

I just want to make sure, do you mean "untrue to the classic fanboy" bad or "Britney spears singing christmas songs, skrillex remix" bad?

I mean yeah. It just seems so "pop" to pick on that game even if it got the[Edit] GOTY award back on its release

Edited by LordAxalon, 12 November 2015 - 07:58 PM.
This post has been edited by a member of the Moderation Team, due to inappropriate content.

AliceUnchained #10 Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

I tried playing it several times, and just thought it was horrible. I mean 'repairing' your gun in the middle of combat by opening inventory and dragging a second gun on top of it? VAT system? Just a few examples but the fact Bethesda implemented something so overly simplified, so ridiculous really put me off every time. But truth be told, I also never got into Skyrim (tried several times). Or World of Warcraft (tried twice) for that matter. Did try Neverwinter for a while and imagined it would be very similar to WoW. Boring, bland, repetitive. 

GOTY awards really don't have any meaning to me as I consider many GOTY awarded games to be extremely poorly done. Heck, even Dragon Age: Origins was awarded RPG of the year when it has barely any RPG elements. And since then nothing has changed. Wasteland 2 gets extremely high reviews when area's are bland, consequences don't exist (oh gee, the town that provides water got destroyed but that won't cause any problems to the water supplies of any other settlement after. Ever. Besides, you can just get refreshments at an oasis inside a heavily irradiated zone), combat is repetitive and lacks any depth or tactical element (play Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 for really good turn based combat) and skill system makes me laugh and cry at the same time. Same for Dragon Age: Inquisition. Didn't even bother with Watchdogs as I saw the trailer where it was revealed 'hacking' is done by just pushing a button or two. Hack a traffic light while driving a car at high speed? Meh, just push a single button as you near it. Blegh. Oversimplification is the norm these days. And games reviews are typically of very poor quality. Seems anything with combo's, button mashing, good looking cut scenes gets good scores. 

Sadly even Project Code Red went for this 'open world' (read: main story time will stand still indefinitely until you do something scripted for it), your actions have consequences (read: you'll get a different slide show ending based on the options you selected in some conversations) nonsense with the Witcher 3. Just a simple example: During conversation it is agreed to meet up later the same day when it's dark. Well, you can go that very evening. Or just bugger off and come the back the next day in the evening. NPC will magically be there. Or you can show up several days later, or even weeks. NPC will be there. No questions asked. Real consequences would mean NPC won't be there the next evening. Might find the NPC at home, pissed. No longer willing to help. Or maybe gone. Maybe showing up the same day you'd get ambushed and you help the NPC. But as you weren't there NPC got killed, or taken. And the story branches on that. 

Nothing. Everything is inconsequential. I got the exact same feeling and impression with Fallout 3 before. Perhaps in all fairness I should have played till the end at least once. But the extremely poor mechanics, oversimplified nonsense and the bland towns just put me off.

Pandabird #11 Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:50 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

JA2 was awesome for sure, I've played through it twice. The expansion was a fun little campaign but quite short. Never heard much from that hyped third installment though.

Speaking of your last sentence, Postal 2 is a prime example of poor mechanics, oversimplified nonsense and bland town. Yet it was fun as hell back in the day xD

I think it all boils down to taste really. I'm all for atmosphere when it comes to games that take the story approach, Fallout 3 had massive story content and never failed me when it came to atmosphere.

AliceUnchained #12 Posted 14 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

General

• Player
  • 38414 battles
  • [322] 322

JA2 is still being worked on by a team of (dedicated) fans, based on version 1.13. They've added a massive amount of extra features. Better aiming system, food, scope modes, resting weapons on obstacles for added stability (and thus accuracy), capturing enemies, improved inventory system, improved skill/traits system. If you enjoyed JA2, you definitely should give the latest 1.13 version a try over at ja2v113.pbworks.com. Good thing is that all of the added features can be enabled or disabled as you please.

Fallout 2 should only be played with Restoration Project installed over it. And of course it all boils down to taste. Just because I didn't enjoy a particular game, doesn't mean nobody else should. Still, atmosphere is exactly what I found lacking in Fallout 3 with the wide open area's having absolutely no objects to interact with. Same with Wasteland 2. You have a map with textures and inanimate objects and nothing can be used/interacted with. It feels empty and hollow. First town you rush through in a very short time, and then nobody there has anything else left to say. The town is effectively dead. I never experienced that story approach, never felt it. 

I will probably give Fallout 4 a try. As dismissing the game flat out just because it's Bethesda again isn't really fair judgment. Definitely will be a torrent download at first though. No way I'm going to spend € 40,- or more on a game I expect little from. 

MeetriX #13 Posted 14 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

Major

• Player
  • 20334 battles
There is also JA2 Wild Fire. All maps are reworked and AI is harder and tougher than vanilla. All enemy has body armors. First fight with only pistols is a nightmare.

Edited by MeetriX, 14 November 2015 - 03:34 PM.

CroustibatFR #14 Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:37 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23297 battles

View PostLPTheory, on 10 November 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

The day has come. Fallout 4 is released. I love it. Didn't do much in the game though. Spent few hours just rebuilding Sanctuary. This whole workshop stuff is basically Fallout Shelter on steroids and I love it. 

It IS good.

But so much STUPID BUGS totally ruins it.

2 simple examples:

-FPS drop from 60 to 2 if i use sniper zoom. Why ? good question. Way less polys to render, it should not do that at all.

-DAMN GAME DOES NOT SUPPORT AZERTY KEYBOARDS :angry: Want to go into construction mode ? Yay ! You can't strafe left nor go forward. Oh, and you can't assign someone to a post either.

I demand the head of quality department to be displayed on a spike.

Asghaad #15 Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

Lieutenant Сolonel

• Player
  • 13273 battles
  • [PPDCZ] PPDCZ

View PostCroustibatFR, on 15 November 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

It IS good.

But so much STUPID BUGS totally ruins it.

2 simple examples:

-FPS drop from 60 to 2 if i use sniper zoom. Why ? good question. Way less polys to render, it should not do that at all.

-DAMN GAME DOES NOT SUPPORT AZERTY KEYBOARDS :angry: Want to go into construction mode ? Yay ! You can't strafe left nor go forward. Oh, and you can't assign someone to a post either.

I demand the head of quality department to be displayed on a spike.

you should be angry at them for making it for consoles first then porting the game on PC - that is where most problems come from ...

but right now i have bigger problems than simple bugs... these monsters wrote the storyline so well i really dont know who to support ... among the factions there isnt SINGLE one that could be described as good or evil - which is kinda problematic as you are also forced to choose ONE of them as they all are enemies of each other and im at the point where supporting one means making enemies from the rest ... argh ...

i spent about 5 hours now doing random stuff unable to choose xD

Pandabird #16 Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:12 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

View PostLPTheory, on 10 November 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

Ah yes, I feel like bob the builder now, wife complained that i spend like 50% of the time playing just modding my kit and building stuff

But heck its so damn fun!

Kinda miss the old skill point system though, not too much use in having high intelligence anymore i think. Should have spent more on agility, the VATS system is nice since it wont pause the game in easymode anymore, more like a slowdown. Me likey.

CroustibatFR #17 Posted 17 November 2015 - 01:34 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23297 battles

View PostAsghaad, on 15 November 2015 - 09:31 PM, said:

you should be angry at them for making it for consoles first then porting the game on PC - that is where most problems come from ...

but right now i have bigger problems than simple bugs... these monsters wrote the storyline so well i really dont know who to support ... among the factions there isnt SINGLE one that could be described as good or evil - which is kinda problematic as you are also forced to choose ONE of them as they all are enemies of each other and im at the point where supporting one means making enemies from the rest ... argh ...

i spent about 5 hours now doing random stuff unable to choose xD

I am not yet at this point, but i can see it coming yeah :) That game can be played many ways, and that is how i intend to do it. My current character is smart, bit of charisma and stealthy, but weak.I think i'll go minutemen, or raider/institute if given the option. It is too freewilling to do otherwise.  The next one is going to be an endurance and force monster (maybe ghoolish and cannibal too :trollface: ), and that has brotherhood of steel written all over.

LPTheory #18 Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:21 AM

Private

• Player
  • 16810 battles
Been exploring some more. And there some big [edited]monsters in unexpected places. That Swan monster surprised me big time. It was scary. And that mysterious sea monster.. Loving this game. 

Pandabird #19 Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:48 AM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 33973 battles
  • [KOFF] KOFF

View PostLPTheory, on 18 November 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

Been exploring some more. And there some big [edited]monsters in unexpected places. That Swan monster surprised me big time. It was scary. And that mysterious sea monster.. Loving this game. 

shh don't spoil it :D

still on my way to diamond city, right after reclaiming the castle

CroustibatFR #20 Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23297 battles

View PostPandabird, on 18 November 2015 - 11:48 AM, said:

shh don't spoil it :D

still on my way to diamond city, right after reclaiming the castle

Funnily i went the other way . Explored maybe everything north of diamond city, but i still have not taken the castle back. But i already made some quests in the city...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users