New desktop gaming PC - Help please!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

TheMightyScoobles #1 Posted 30 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

Private

• Player
  • 21173 battles

Can anyone recommend one? Budget is up to £1000 if needed.

When I look at these things there are a lot of numbers that do not mean a lot to someone with the technical knowhow of a Gnome! - Am fed up of playing things on the lowest graphic settings!

Any help would be gratefully received.

Simon

WoTDaFoCh #2 Posted 30 November 2015 - 11:09 AM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 22802 battles
Search Ebay gaming computers ...plenty of descriptions for each comp displayed,more you spend better you get  http://www.ebay.co.u...mputer&_sacat=0

Edited by WoTDaFoCh, 30 November 2015 - 11:09 AM.

breeeze #3 Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:01 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 27969 battles
  • [S4] S4

Wow that is some serious junk being sold on Ebay.

The best and cheapest option is always to build it yourself, but it comes at the cost of having to spend time on selecting parts and building it. 1000 bucks will easily get you a balanced PC that will run all modern games at Ultra settings and has quality components.

K_A #4 Posted 30 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 13577 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

Just to be more clear, what are you planning on getting? Just the pc or does the budget have to take into consideration a monitor or other accessories also? If your current monitor is very small or low resolution I would recommend getting a 23-24" 1080p monitor to go along with a new machine to actually benefit from the money you're preparing to spend.

As for the technical knowhow, I'll try to explain some of the basics of computer parts keeping them as simple as I can:

CPU or processor is the heart of the computer that makes everything tick. The most relevant information are the number of cores and clock speed (measured in GHz, faster is better). World of Tanks favors Intel CPUs heavily, which doesn't mean AMD processors are bad, they're just different (basically, AMD CPUs have more cores with lower speed and worse performance per core, while Intel has fewer but faster and more powerful cores). For a 1000£ rig I'd recommend an Intel quad-core CPU. 

A powerful CPU will often need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Which kind and how expensive is really up to the end-user, you can pay up to and over 100£ for performance or quiet operation, but most will do just fine with a ~30£ air-cooler.

RAM or random-access memory is the memory that's used to temporarily store data that the CPU and GPU uses to do stuff. You'll want a computer with a minimum of 8Gb of RAM, 16Gb might become useful in some rare occasions but unless you decide to suddenly start heavy 3D-rendering or video-decoding you'll never need more than 16.

GPU or graphics card is the thing that draws stuff on your screen and has the highest impact on your fps so that should be a good one. Basically there are two brands to choose from, NVidia Geforce and AMD Radeon. For a 1000£ machine you'll probably want something like a Geforce GTX970 or a Radeon R9 390. The graphics cards are mostly manufactured by companies like MSI or Asus, so you might see the names of the manufacturing companies before the card's nomenclature. The different company models of the same card differ in the cooling solutions and designs so some might be more quiet and some might have a factory over-clock out of the box. Comparing them can get pretty technical pretty fast, but the two probably most popular manufacturers are the aforementioned MSI and Asus, you can't go wrong with either of them.

Motherboard is the board where everything attaches and keeps everything connected to each other. There's no need to go too fancy on them, it just needs to be compatible with the CPU and RAM and you're good to go.

As for data storage, I cannot recommend an SSD too much. There are two types of storage, the old-fashioned HDD hard drives that have been around for a long time now, and a newer, more expensive but vastly superior SSD's. Installing Windows on an SSD instead of a traditional HDD will cut your start-up time by at least 2/3 or even more, and all programs installed on it will all load up in less than half the time also. Because it's more expensive than a HDD it's a good combo to have a say 250Gb SSD for Windows and some of your most-used programs, and a larger traditional HDD for all music, files and less-frequently used programs. 

Lastly there is the power supply, which basically just needs to be efficient enough to safely power all the hardware. 

As for purchasing your system, I don't recommend any off-the-shelf pre-built computers, but rather if you can, find a company that will build the system specifically with the parts you choose and deliver it for you. Their staff can help you choose the exact parts you actually need and while you could save the ~50£ they charge for the building it's gonna be a lot easier for you, you can't accidentally get incompatible stuff and it's going to work out-of-the-box when you get it. The off-the-shelf computers can often have bad power supplies or a very powerful CPU paired with a decent-at-best GPU or way too much RAM for the intended functionality or all kinds of other useless features bloating the price.

Edited by K_A, 30 November 2015 - 01:27 PM.

TheMightyScoobles #5 Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:40 PM

Private

• Player
  • 21173 battles

Much to ponder - thanks so much for your help and input guys.

Simon

tigerstreak #6 Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:47 AM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 23228 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

As others have said, prebuilts will save money somewhere :(

Gaming rigs need a good powersupply.

An unstable one can cause issues +use more electricity, if it doesnt have a good active power factor.

I bought custom pc, mag, good for kit reviews +usualy will have a "build pc for £s..."

Ive heard nvidia cards are better supported for wot?

A new gpu should be more efficient on power than 6mth old best card...

Think after xmas theres new gen of cards coming out, might be worth doing some web research...

Find out what bus the gpu needs, then find a mb with that bus.

Then weigh up the cost/speed of cpu +ram.

Might be worth getting 16gb of ram, while youre at it.

I got a ssd +notice less probs with wg loading +in game issues

TheRealTwist #7 Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:56 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 35736 battles
  • [CAHU] CAHU

Minimum specs for a new Gaming PC (not only WOT):

Intel Quadcore with 3.5 GHz

16GB 2400 DDR3 oder 3000 DDR4 RAM

256 SSD (Samsung 850 pro highly recommended)

Nvidia 970GTX

You can build that as nearly Silent mini ITX...or impressive loud ATX. If you need a more detailed build tell me what exactly you want.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users