French Light tanks AMX BatChat Nonsense

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Strappster #1 Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:35 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Having run part-way up nearly all the tank lines in the German and British tech trees before getting bored, I've decided that it's time I set myself a goal, something to work towards that will keep me engaged and, ultimately, make me a better player.

I think I've played enough games know what I like - versatile machines with good guns that can redeploy either to provide support or to run away and hide cowering behind bushes. Hit-and-run gameplay, sniping and harassing, providing support through playing the angles. Please note: this does not mean I'm any good at it - at this point I rather like the idea of playing that way more than brawling or sitting and waiting at a chokepoint.

I like what I've seen of the French line, particularly the AMX ELC bis, love seeing those little bastards zip off at the start of a round. I've bought the M4A1 Revalorisé, AMX CDC and FCM 50 t premiums and am getting used to the gameplay necessitated by having cardboard and tinfoil armour so it makes sense to me to set a goal on a tank line that I've played so little that I got rid of the tier 1 to make space in the garage.

And that's how we got here. I intend to document my progress to unlocking and playing the tier 10 French medium (light) tank, the Batignolles-Châtillon 25t, through the AMX light tank branch. The rules, such that they are, are as follows:

• Start at tier 1 with the FT
  • Only use tank experience to unlock modules or the next tank - no free experience
  • Recruit crew as needed, move them from tank to tank as much as possible (i.e. until the lights become mediums)
  • Spend only credits on training, ammo, consumables and so on - gold can only be used to demount equipment

• Only credits earned in French tanks (premiums are ok) can be used to fund this venture
  • There is no compunction to keep every tank in the tree
  • French premium use will be documented alongside the grind (and provide the crew when the line switches to mediums at tier 9 as they should be fully trained and have a couple of skills each by then)
  • Update the thread with impressions regularly (or add some garbled half-remembered lies when I realise I've forgotten this thread)

I intend to stream some of this on Twitch through my awesome channel, here. I've hardly ever used the thing so don't expect much if you do drop in, ok?

Happy to hear any comments or advice* :)

Point to note - I am not a great player. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. Part of the reason for doing this is to improve my gameplay through limiting my choices, essentially so that I don't start another line when I get stuck as I've done previously. My impressions here are a diary that hopefully gives some useful information about the AMX line and maybe is entertaining too.

This thread was originally posted on another forum, hence the large number of initial updates on the same day. I'll be updating them in tandem once we've caught up.

Another note - I'm also working on British heavies and German TDs for a bit of variety so updates may drop off for a while if I'm playing those instead.

* Except, "nah, don't play that, it's rubbish, use <insert name of favourite tank> instead" - my gaff, my rules ;)

Strappster #2 Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Tier 1 - Renault FT

Posted Image

Ugh. I'm not a fan of tier 1 tanks, I'm not sure who is. This tracked shoebox wearing a waste paper bin is what passes for the tier I French tank. It flatters to deceive, being quite quick off the line but it's a wasted hope as it doesn't get much faster after the initial burst.

While not a match for speed to the US or German options, at least the stock gun isn't terrible. It isn't great either, not being particularly accurate but it has some punch and I was able to record enough damage to get the experience necessary to move up quite quickly.

The first 'upgrade' weapon is the Hotchkiss machine gun and frankly, it's a bit of a let-down. If you've seen the US players tearing holes in people and wish to copy them, it's not going to be with this thing. The dispersion is terrible and for some reason linked to it being a 15-shot magazine loader, each click fires five shells. The first might hit your target but the recoil will mean you're better off spamming at the general area of your enemy and hoping for the best. In one match I fired 60 shells and scored 10 hits and I thought I did quite well.

Unlock the turret (a slightly heavier waste paper bin) and you can fit the 25mm 'top' gun, which has better considerably better penetration than stock while delivering less damage. Good rate of fire and more accurate but at this level, as soon as you're spotted everyone is going to spam shoot you so you'll be lucky to get off a couple of rounds before dying. At least this gun opens the door to the FCM 36 and we're on the right branch.

On a positive note, the armour is good enough to shrug off a few longer-range machine gun shots so that's something in it's favour. The rest of the modules are slight improvements over stock, the turret has enough armour to consider playing hull-down positions but given the rush-and-spam nature of tier 1, it doesn't work that well as you're usually not in position for long enough. It's always worth upgrading the radio if you can but frankly, if you're not concerned about getting it to elite status, don't bother and save the EXP for the path you want to unlock.

It should be noted that you can opt to move to the R35 next rather than the FCM which brings you to the AMX 38 too. There's a slightly different 37mm gun option but I didn't bother with that as the plan is to play the AMX line and I'm going straight across the tree.

Overall rating: necessary evil for any progress down the French tree. Put it this way - I played a few more rounds to get enough EXP to unlock every branch off the FT, partly to give it elite status but mainly so I don't have to play the damn thing again should I want to play another branch later.

Also added a new rule - every new tank must be played for at least one round as stock on the basis that unless you know how the stock tank plays, how can you tell what's improved?

Edited by Strappster, 03 December 2015 - 10:40 AM.

Strappster #3 Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:44 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Tier 2 - FCM 36
Posted Image

Pyramid head. Initial thought, recurring thought, lasting impression. That's what this tank is, a skip with a miniature pyramid on top. Silly names aside, the armour is considerably better in this tank at 40mm in the front with some interesting angling not limited to the turret. I'm not convinced that the spaced armour over the tracks won't divert a shell straight into the upper bogeys if it came in from the side but it seemed to do the trick.

Being in tier 2 now, you sometimes play in tier 3 matches. This happened to me a few times and it stood up nicely to a Pz. III A in a match on Himmelsdorf after I thought I'd try using HE instead of AP. In fact, I even damaged the Pz. more than he damaged me after he tracked me and rammed my front. I was then able to fire repeatedly straight into his driver's slot while he bounced off my turret at point blank range.

The armour comes with a price, of course, and that's it being a slow tank. Very slow. On larger maps if the action is on the other side, you have to decide whether to head over, usually arriving as the fight moves on or ends, or stay where you are and hope people come your way. Given the choice between the 40mm armour on this and the 8mm armour of the British Medium II, I'd probably ask if we could compromise on about 25-30mm with some reasonable angling.

The 25mm pen gun from the FT is available on this tank too so don't sell your modules if you get rid of the FT, though you'll be better off with the higher 37mm option anyway. Other modules are rated as per the FT - get them if you want to. The top engine provides an increase of 1km/h in top speed, though it does feel as though it picks up a little more quickly.

Overall rating: not as much of a comedy tank as I first thought but the guns still aren't great especially as you're starting to face opposition that can bounce them easily. The armour's good enough to stop some tier 3 munitions and that's pretty handy when MM doesn't roll your way.

Final thought, as I was grinding credits as well as EXP, I had to play this tank long enough to get the Cr41,000 cost of the AMX 38 but I didn't mind, which is as good an endorsement as it's going to get.

Edited by Strappster, 03 December 2015 - 10:44 AM.

Strappster #4 Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Tier 3 - AMX 38

Mummy's special little tank. An extension to the theme established by the FCM, it's got good armour but all the guns are disappointing, especially as you're going to match into some tier 5 games. The top gun gets you 45 pen and 55 damage and it's good to get there as soon as possible.

The thick armour means it still plays like a miniature heavy but that's a bonus now because in those tier 5 matches you'll need others to put in the initial damage to wear down your opponents and try to pick up scraps when you can. The way the game plays at the moment, tier 5 usually means there'll be at least one O-I Exp. on each side and you want to follow yours if possible.

If you imagine this game as a rough pub and the major heavy tanks as Big Dave, who props up the bar and only grunts when spoken to, I see this tank as the chippy little bloke standing behind Big Dave, goading him on until the opposition is on the floor and he can stick the boot in. That's what I mean about following the O-I Exp.

I played a match on Himmelsdorf with tier 5s and did exactly that, the Big Daves being an O-I Exp. and a T1 Heavy. I fired 3 shots and got two kills for a total of 39 damage. It's not something I'm particularly proud of but it got the job done.

Against its own tier it more or less holds its own but again, it'd be useful to have a bit more pen or damage or speed, all things I thought this line would excel at. Shows what I know, right?

The stock gun and 25mm carry forward from the previous tier but annoyingly, the radio doesn't. Still, it gives some savings on ammo when you start off which could be handy because you'll want that top gun sooner rather than later. The AMX 40 costs a heady 4,610 EXP to research so there's plenty of time to get used to how this tank plays. Second line support, ping shots in from a distance and remember to angle that armour. Though if you find the enemy Big Dave, just kiss your arse goodbye.

Overall rating: a little bit special, a little bit needy, cute in a way but requires careful supervision to ensure it doesn't get into trouble.

Credit report: given the EXP step to the AMX is quite steep in comparison to what's come before and will mean my first real time spent grinding, I decided to spend Cr20,000 on training my commander to 75% which also gave my driver a handy little boost. Ended the session with Cr7,700 recorded with all top modules purchased.

Edited by Strappster, 03 December 2015 - 10:52 AM.

Strappster #5 Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Getting a liking for this special little tank ...

AMX 38 in Himmelsdorf, tier V match.

Another AMX 38 replay.
And another one, with Cr.16,000 earned :)

The first reply is a personal favourite despite getting no kills as I scored plenty of damage and got some capture points, the capture being a highlight because of being able to dodge so many incoming shots!

Strappster #6 Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Tier 4 - AMX 40

Grim, grindy little duck. On first sight, this tank is quite cool, stylish even. Then you try driving it. Stock, you'll be lucky to reach 16km/h on softer surfaces, it crawls along behind everything else. Then you fire the gun and realise it's not really a weapon, it's merely a way of letting the enemy know where you are so they can end the torment sooner.

The 47mm gun and its immediate successor in the tree are terrible at this tier and utterly pointless if you match into a higher game. Even firing HE or premium ammo doesn't help as much as you'd hope - while you might get a penetration, the damage is negligible.

In stock configuration the tank is practically on the weight limit, not having capacity for even a camo net so new tracks and engine are compulsory before you upgrade anything else. The new engine brings the top speed to a heady 20km/h, almost enough to challenge a Matilda to a race (that you'll lose). God forbid that you have to climb a slope but make sure you've got plenty of time free.

The stats give this tank a maximum speed of 50km/h - I saw 49km/h on a steep slope on Tundra but as soon as you reach flat ground, you'll go back to the regular 20km/h speed. It might be possible to achieve that maximum coming down the Himmelsdorf hill but I can't face driving up there to find out.

Finally, following game after game of bouncing shells off everything with your 47mm piece of drainpipe, you'll scrape together the necessary EXP for the new turret and the 75mm gun. I'll never forget how great it sounded to hear the report "penetration" after I'd fired at an enemy instead of "that one bounced" or "we didn't even scratch him". The new turret is larger and comes with an odd carbuncle on one side that houses a machine-gun. It looks unusual, gives another 20hp to take you up to a round 300 but also rotates slower than the earlier model with less depression.

On that note, a lack of depression is something all the tanks in this line share. You might think that the new turret is tall enough to give you some hull-down options but once you get into position you'll find you have to climb so high to line up a shot that you may as well park on top of the cover you're trying to use.

One place where this tank isn't terrible is in town maps. Again like the previous tanks it's fairly quick off the line so can peek without risking too much. The curving armour is actually pretty effective if you angle it properly, allowing you to bounce shots from tier 6 opposition.

But there's the rub, if my games so far are anything to go by, you'll be seeing a lot of tier 5 and 6 matches. Get used to that second-line support position, at least the 75mm allows you to poke at the enemy instead of merely being a distraction.

Overall rating: grind-tastic. Please let it end soon, PLEASE! Terrible tank, terrible match-making, reasonable armour if angled properly. Best played with frequent breaks to watch AMX ELC videos to remind you why you're doing this to yourself. Borders on self-abuse nonetheless.

Credit report: trained the commander to 75% again, there's an extra crewman compared to the previous tanks so you'll need to recruit if you're still using the same crew from the FT. Buying ammo for the 75mm with some premium rounds for the tougher tier 6s means I was cleaned out from just under Cr.20k. Up to Cr.36,300 when I finished playing last night.

It requires 14,900 EXP to unlock the ELC and I've reached about 1,000. It's going to be a long grind...

Edited by Strappster, 03 December 2015 - 11:02 AM.

Strappster #7 Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

The AMX 40 is a grindy duck-shaped turd, in case you weren't clear on the subtext of my review. In tier VI matches, it's little more than a small pile of EXP waiting for the enemy to cash it in. Although, every now and then something like this happens.

Winterberg, 7 Ducks in a row, 717 damage bounced!

So in its tier, it's not shatteringly bad ... just normal bad. Thankfully, it's over .....

Strappster #8 Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Tier 5 - AMX ELC bis

This is it, this is it, this is it! The first tank I really want on this line, the one I immediately thought would be a keeper, the sweet little bug-faced tank that buzzes around the battlefield with that hit-and-run gameplay that's been so sorely missed from the lower tiers. On the way here I've ground the Duck into the ... er ... ground and having only spent the bare minimum on ammo, I've racked up an impressive Cr.700,000 ready for the ELC!

Squee! I'm so excited as I sell the AMX, trade the appropriate modules and ready myself. That's it, 'buy' is clicked and it's in my garage!

First impressions are ... challenged. As stock this tank starts off with the same gun that the Duck ends with, so I've been able to bring forward the ammo but this tank needs that 90mm - without it, it simply doesn't look right. I find it interesting that the wiki, where I sourced the tank images for this thread (and the tech tree for that matter), appears to agree, picturing the ELC with the longer gun rather than the stock shorty when as far as I'm aware all other tanks are pictured in stock form.

Anyway, rules is rules so we start with an impression of the tank in completely stock form. And we're off! Or, rather, we're not. The stock engine has 150bhp compared to the upgrade that gives 250bhp and you really feel the missing power. It's sluggish away from a standing start and when you try to turn, the thing practically stops! Honestly, it's pretty awful and after looking forward to it for so long it's a big disappointment.

The tank's still quite quick in a straight line but it doesn't like even big sweeping turns. It bogs down before starting off again once you allow it to straighten up. It's a bit like a Bert that doesn't want to turn. Pretty horrid.

Thankfully that engine upgrade is the cheapest thing to research after the radio and as you can bring the latter forward from the Duck, you should definitely do the engine first. Once the new one's in, even without the upgraded suspension you can see what makes the ELC so much fun. You can reach the enemy lines before your team are halfway across the map!

In random matches it seems rare for the arty to know what to do about all those enemy I'm spotting. Maybe I'm putting too many choices up and they can't decide which they like best (i.e. softest target rather than the biggest threat). Or, quite likely, I need to stop zipping around like an idiot with a new toy and spot one or two choice targets, waiting until arty is able to aim at them properly.

After the gruelling slog of the previous tanks, this tank is a breath of fresh air. It's a shame that you have to grind out an updated version of the 75mm before getting the 90mm but them's the breaks. The initial 75mm has a pen average with AP/APCR of 74/91.4, rising to 100/129 with the updated version, all doing 110dmg. The 90mm pens at 170/248 (AP/APCR) with 240 damage but that's because this tank will match into tier VIII ... the 75mm is distinctly unsatisfying at that level. You have to research the later 75mm to unlock the 90mm but I think I'll be saving the credits, look for soft targets and passive scout EXP like this. I could use free EXP but rules are rules.

This tank really comes into it's own from about mid-game when most players have made a decision on which way they're going and are engaged with the opposition. You're small and nippy enough to get behind the lines and can ping hits into engine bays before you zoom away. I can't wait for the 90mm to make more of those opportunities, though it does give enough time to aim the 75mm fully for a change.

Downsides ... the turret only rotates 15 degrees either side of centre, elevation and depression aren't great and the 75mm is just as likely to miss on this tank as it was on the AMX 40. The lack of rotation isn't a major issue as the bug gets the same camo value when moving as stationary so you can rotate on the spot to line up shots without breaking cover unlike arty and TDs.

The top radio only has a range of 360m so if you push too far you'll need other members of your team to relay messages - without them on larger maps, arty won't be able to see the targets you're spotting. Of course, arty players should fit the top radio in their tier ASAP for this reason but you can't rely on that.

The view range isn't great for scouting but that's understandable given the (lack of) height. The other side of that is that you can pop over almost any ridge to break line of sight so while there's little armour, you really shouldn't need it - if you're being hit, you're doing it wrong (something I admittedly do a lot).

Overall rating: a must-have if you like the hit-and-run playstyle but also a must-upgrade. Some tanks you can leave modules out if you're not bothered about getting everything to elite status but for once in this branch every upgrade is definitely worthwhile. Worth keeping in the same way that I'll hold on to Bert for occasional arty runs. Put simply, it's fun. :)

Credit report: purchase prices start getting more significant at this tier but with a decent amount saved, it didn't hurt to buy and then get the crew trained to 75%. Back to two crew from the three in the AMX 40 so training is a little cheaper* and the various modules unlocked so far were paid for through subsequent games in this and the premium credit crunchers, taking the balance to Cr.434,300.

Word of warning though, once you're moving at full speed, the brakes aren't that great so watch where you're going ...

* It's worth keeping the gunner from the AMX 40 in the barracks as you'll be needing him again for the AMX 12t.

Edited by Strappster, 03 December 2015 - 11:12 AM.

Strappster #9 Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:12 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I have the 90mm. It is glorious.

That is all.

;)

Strappster #10 Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Quick update, no new unlocks as it turns out that the Bug is a bit difficult to play well. The 30 degree gun arc is more limiting than I thought and I really need a commander with sixth sense to know when to turn around and seek cover instead of advancing.

I could switch out the coated optics for binoculars and a camo net and play it as more of a passive scout than the active scout/TD approach that I've been trying (with vents, rammer and optics, in case you're wondering) but I'm resisting as I've watched enough replays to know it can be done. Ok, people will only upload their best games but I think my hit rate on achieving those sort of games is somewhat lacking.

I'm considering buying the AMX 38 again to use as a crew trainer. It's probably the tank I got on best with in the line to this point and at tier 3, the gun isn't quite as out-matched as it is on the AMX 40. Trouble is getting enough experience in lower tier games with such a slow tank to make a significant difference :unsure:

Definitely keeping the Bug though. It's like a Jack Russell terrier - always running off and darting about in circles before giving someone a really nasty bite. Besides, powerslides are always fun and a Bugger never forgets his first face hug.

Credit report: after paying for the equipment on the Bug (thank you, 50% discount weekend), the budget is back to health with plenty of top-ups from the French premiums, including a whopping 75k (after expenses) from the FCM 50 t in one round and decent regular amounts from the Moron Magnet.* I still can't play well with the CDC, I'm hoping that'll come in time with practice. Current balance is Cr.1,060,500.

* The M4A1 Revalorisé - so called because nearly every time I use it, someone on my team starts shouting in chat because he wants me to play it as a scout to light targets or move up and brawl. I think it's because it's a medium, people think it should play like other mediums.

Strappster #11 Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:17 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

And that's us up to date. Will I continue or get bored and try French arty instead? Will I unlock the secret to playing well in the Bug? Will more than three people look at this thread?

To be continued ... ;)

Eokokok #12 Posted 03 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 18594 battles
Wait till you get 13 75 and embrace the pain of playing the worse tier 7 LT and probably one of worse tanks in the game... With long grind on top. Much fun.

Chichila #13 Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12961 battles

Nice initiative, just now chanced upon it (not a regular forum user). Also, it's a nice read, so here's a vote to keep on going.

Myself, am slowly going through all the branches of all nations and vowed to play at least 100 battles in each tank up to tier 5/6 (from then on I'm aware it takes longer/more games to grind). In this way I can get a better feel and experience with the tank I'm playing and also get nice creds and especially a better crew for that extra edge in combat :trollface:.

This means I only played up to the ELC in the older line and as far as I remember:

FT - was Okish. Nothing special about it.

H35 - it was a beast with that armor and angling at t2 (and sometime even in t3)

AMX38 - somehow it didn't click with me...dunno why. Got a few great games in it but mostly it was meh (probably because of me).

AMX40 - in contrast to your experience with it, I had fun playing it. Scouting in higher tiers (altho' there were a few "dead in 2 minutes" games  as well) and giving hell to the enemy in t4's and even in t5's. Heavy angling and aiming for weak spots got me a lot of nice (albeit slow) games.

AMX ELC bis - so far it's a blast to play. Really really like it. I do stupid things yet (going yolo once in a while) but I like it a lot, and getting better at it (hopefully). Also, passive scouting/TD'ing for the first part of the game works very well for me (with binocs,ofc) followed by active scouting and finishing moves in the second part. Still trying to master the face/side hugging technique tho' :sceptic:

So keep up the good work and cheers to you mate,

ChiChi

Lomion_EU #14 Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:02 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 37173 battles
  • [CSW] CSW

Nice, Grinding this line myself although I skipped tiers 1-4 and went straight for the ELC AMX fully upgraded with free EXP.  If you stop in this tank without 6th sense, you are dead.  Almost aced it first game only losing to a derp moment where RNG denied me the kill on the final one-shot IS3 for the win.  Currently run Bino's, Camo and Gun Rammer, before i had 6th sense had optics for on the move spots.  Currently on 2nd crew skill with one gun mark  commander.png Commandercommander_sixthSense.png Sixth Sensecamouflage.png Camouflage, 35%; driver.png Drivercamouflage.png Camouflagedriver_virtuoso.png Clutch Braking, 35%.  It's a keeper 12t is sold, 13 75 sitting uncrewed and the 13 90 is about half way to the Lorraine 40t.  Not a bad line, with AMX CDC crew ready to transfer to 40t when unlocked and female crew ready for Bachat 25t in the M4A1 Reval.  I'm all set!

Running in conjunction with the french heavy line will save you unlocks at tier 9 (40t top gun is the 100mm from the Amx 50 100)

ps beware the derp, love one shotting these guys with the US, UK and German 105 HE Derpers.

Edited by Lomion68, 10 December 2015 - 03:06 PM.

Strappster #15 Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

It may have been noticed that this thread has stalled (well, probably not but I'm trying to be optimistic). As with so many of my grinds, I reached tier VI and ... that's about it. I simply cannot get along with the AMX 12 t. I haven't even played it enough to give a first impressions review as every match I scoot forward, blow up and return to garage. It's probably because I'm trying to play it like the ELC but that's got a crew with a reasonable camo skill and is almost invisible out of the box. I went with a new crew for the 12 t on the basis that I'd need to recruit a crew member anyway and as the ELC is a keeper, I'd leave that crew in it.

So crew skills and me skills - that's what's needed to get more from this line. Along with time, plenty of time and matches played. Increase my stats, practice, learn what I have to do to improve. Suck it up, princess, get stuck in and focus. Grrr. :angry:

Anyway, things are bound to get better now that I've bought the AMX 13 57 GF to use as a trainer, right? Right? Erm ... right?

Rule change - Credits earned for this line can now come from French light tanks only. Should help me focus by playing tanks with similar gameplay rather than hopping into completely different tanks, no matter how much fun the FCM 50 t is. I'll still play the other tanks, of course, but those credits will contribute to the wider budget rather than exclusively to French lights.

Credit report: after peaking at Cr.1,276,500, buying the 12 t and putting a new crew on board with training took a fair chunk of change, rallying slightly to end trading at 317,000.

Strappster #16 Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:40 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Interim update - thoroughly enjoying the AMX 13 57 GF, haven't smiled this much playing a light tank since I managed LT-14 in the VK28.01 and wasn't expecting it. I'm only firing AP and running 100 octane fuel, which is only Cr.2.5k at the moment, it makes a worthwhile difference to initial acceleration.

14 matches played and the credit total has reached Cr.630,000, giving an average net income of Cr.22,357 per match. I feel that's respectable enough for me, particularly as some of the early matches were played while I still had no idea and died very early as a consequence.

Overall - recommended if you enjoy shoot-&-scoot and like earning lots of credits and respectable XP (c.1k per match) while annoying the bejesus out of heavy tanks, TDs and arty :)

konjamiini #17 Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:57 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29239 battles

With 12t and 1375 you should develop ambush playstyle. Get into position, peek out reversing when enemies concentrate your allies, shoot as many time you can before taking return fire. Don't try to force whole magazine, reload time is so short so you should almost always rather pull back and reload than take a shot for full magazine. Don't keep partial magazine unless you need to shoot immediately, you should always engage with full clip. Relocate, find a new way to ambush someone. Don't be too aggressive and drive too deep, you are not fastest tank, keep always in mind how to withdraw. Rinse and repeat until it's late game and you can start hunting lone lowhp tanks you can assassinate with your autoloader.

And when you get 1390, it plays almost completely different with 90mm gun. You have very long reload time and relatively long but high damage burst. You can't engage enemies as dynamically but then you have ability to assassinate healthy tanks. Picking right time to reload is very important, you don't want to get caught while reloading or just couple shot left in magazine. Or miss juicy opportunities to shoot. Sometimes it's better to relocate one flank to another while reloading. And often you need to make shots to connect so don't make hasty shots, especially in tight spots. You will really hate if 150hp med eats you alive bc that one crucial shell didn't connect. You also want to have snapshot and smoothride skills coming up in earlier amx's, 1390's gun handling is really bad.

lord_chipmonk #18 Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:51 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35136 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

I actually enjoy all of the ELC, 12t, 1375 and 1390. These might be of use. 

Strappster #19 Posted 22 December 2015 - 02:04 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25980 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

Thanks, chaps, appreciate your comments.

I think I'm starting to adapt to the hit-&-run style, I'm certainly getting better results than I was before. Still fighting the temptation to put a cheeky shot into the side or rear of a heavy instead of keeping it spotted but I'm seeing the benefits of staying hidden in the early game and coming out later to take my pot shots. If only the teams I keep getting in random battles could take more advantage of my spots (because it's always their fault, obviously).

I've upgraded the gun on the 12t, pleased with the performance but I'm still getting better results from the 13 57, probably because I can fire more shots before having to run. Still, they're both fun* so what the hey, right? :)

* I've gone from not enjoying the 12t at all to actually not minding it. Still got a fair old grind to go but it's not the daunting prospect it once was. Which is nice.

lord_chipmonk #20 Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35136 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-
Glad to hear you've started to enjoy the 12t. The top gun is a big upgrade. Speaking of the gun, get used to it as you get the same gun (with a couple of buffs) on the 1375...

Also tagged with French, Light tanks, AMX, BatChat, Nonsense

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users