French Fancies - a noob on the road to the BatChat

French Light tanks AMX BatChat Nonsense

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Eokokok #21 Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:42 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 18621 battles
More like get used to playing to worst tier 7 LT... 13 75 is so badly outclassed it is not even funny. No firepower (bad soft stats, bad pen, meh alpha, bad depression, bad elevation) means you will be grinding lots of exp with a 100% team reliant LT. That is bad even at most scouting roles. Passive scout with bad gun at tier 7 +3MM... Have fun, I know I am having lots in mine =_=''

lord_chipmonk #22 Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35729 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View PostEokokok, on 22 December 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

More like get used to playing to worst tier 7 LT... 13 75 is so badly outclassed it is not even funny. No firepower (bad soft stats, bad pen, meh alpha, bad depression, bad elevation) means you will be grinding lots of exp with a 100% team reliant LT. That is bad even at most scouting roles. Passive scout with bad gun at tier 7 +3MM... Have fun, I know I am having lots in mine =_=''

I actually enjoyed mine. In isolation (i.e. ignoring its competition) I found it a perfectly acceptable light tank. Having since played the T71, I see what everyone says the 1375 is outclassed. 

konjamiini #23 Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:26 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 29239 battles

View PostEokokok, on 22 December 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

12t and 1375 got buffed in last update. Bad pen is easily fixed by carrying few clips of apcr. But still, 1375 is relatively weakest in line and T71+SP1C w/autoloader are much better in similar role. The gun is not bad for T6 LT, I actually used 12t to train crew ready for lor40t.

Strappster #24 Posted 05 January 2016 - 09:11 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

Not so much of an update as a personal reminder to carry on with this. I've played the 12t a bit over the Christmas break but focused on completing the TD-15 mission for the StuG. Now I only have LT-15 to do (4k spotting/assist damage) and it's proving to be a nightmare - usually getting maps that don't encourage spotting and on the odd occasion I do get a good map, my team don't shoot at anything I light up. There can't be many more frustrating sights in this game than finally getting the spotting bush on Salient to yourself only to see the whole team run a lemming train down the other side of the railway line.

I've been rotating through my lights to try and get the mission done without success so I may as well go back to the grind rather than continuing to bang my head on that particular wall. I need to get better in lights anyway (assuming they'll be in any way relevant to the meta in the future) as this is only the first set of missions. Proper 12t write-up soon, promise.

Current cash count, Cr.687,000. Not moved on much from last time, a reflection of the amount of time I've spent in TDs or racing about in the VK28.01 spamming HE derp bombs :trollface:

Strappster #25 Posted 06 January 2016 - 02:30 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

Seems that the trick to completing LT-15 is to stop trying - LT-15 on Karelia in the AMX 12t:D

First match of the evening session, I thought I'd try going over to the D4 spotting area and see how it played out. Went pretty well, despite dying while failing to outsmart the T20. It might have been more difficult if the Black Prince hadn't been AFK but I'd like to think that he wouldn't have been able to go far given how fast they move.

Got a first class medal as well - that 12t write-up may be more glowing than I thought ;)

Edit to add - credit total went to Cr.725,500 after that match. Nice.

Edited again as QB's replay site is having issues right now.

Edited by Strappster, 06 January 2016 - 12:42 PM.

Chichila #26 Posted 17 January 2016 - 09:14 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12961 battles
GJ, keept it up m8 . :playing:

Strappster #27 Posted 18 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

Tier 6 - AMX 12 t

And we're back :)

I've already given my initial impressions of this tank but to quickly recap, as stock it's horrible and fully upgraded it's not so bad. End of review, thanks for reading.

Ok, I'll do it properly. First thing is that this tank swaps the single shot guns from earlier in the tech tree for auto-loaders. While this feels like an improvement, the time to reload between shells is over 2 seconds so if you've gotten used to the one second reload of the AMX 13 57 F it can be quite jarring to see the reloading message while you're frantically clicking the fire button and the heavy you'd managed to get behind has almost finished rotating his turret. You get the choice of two guns and the same two guns will be the only choices on the next tank in the line so it's as well to get used to them here.

The stock radio and engine are both from tier III though neither has appeared on light tanks prior to this one. The radio upgrade is well worthwhile, the new radio is from tier X with a range of 750m and gives an indication of how to play this tank. Instead of the light TD style of the ELC, this tank plays much more like a regular light - move forward and passive scout in the early game before emerging to help finish off opponents in the latter stages, assuming your team gets that far.

Active scouting is possible, as shown in the replay I posted earlier, but there's practically no armour and the lack of flexibility in the gun is almost Chinese (12o elevation dropping to 4o once you turn the turret more than 90o in either direction and only 4o depression which at least remains consistent). Ammo is a concern, there being 36 shells with the stock gun dropping to only 30 when you upgrade. Get used to seeing your ammo count in red after only a couple of attacks. I carry nearly all AP with one clip of APCR mainly out of habit. There's no point taking any HE given it takes nearly 20 seconds to reload the magazine so if you need to reset a cap and aren't sure if you're going to pen them, aim for their tracks.

The tank is sluggish as stock and not that much better with the upgraded engine. I run it with 100 octane fuel to give a little more shove in place of the fire extinguisher as I think I've only been set on fire once. Other consumables are large first aid and large repair kits - both give a small reduction to the chance of injury or damage and given the size of this tank, one hit can easily damage multiple modules. I buy stock of those kits whenever they're on offer to reduce restock cost.

Equipment, I've been playing with vents, optics and GLD and trying to be active. I don't think I'm seeing much benefit from the GLD as if I'm playing active then I'm normally moving and that negates any bonus, if I'm passive then I've usually got plenty of time to aim anyway - if not then I should be relocating rather than aiming. I'm going to swap the latter two for binocs and a camo net and play more passively as I think that suits the tank better. Binocs will take the view range comfortably over the view cap of 445m to 475m without crew skill bonuses so a handy bonus to negate camo and improve the passive scouting ability even more.

Overall, when fully upgraded it's not as frustrating as you might think initially but it's not that much better. I can't say I'm looking forward to playing the next tank in line as it gets the same guns with marginal improvements in handling and looks to be more of the same. Both these tanks appear to be the penance one has to endure to attain the holy grail of the AMX 13 90.

Credit report: Cr.834,000 at time of writing. I'll need to get about Cr.1.5m in the bank to buy the AMX 13 75 and retrain the crew but as I also need to earn about 50,000 xp to research it, that should be relatively straightforward.

Edited by Strappster, 18 February 2016 - 02:03 PM.

Fluffy_The_Destroyer #28 Posted 18 February 2016 - 03:53 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53 battles

Enjoy your tier 10 games with the worst tier 7 LT in game. 13 75 is a POS in comparison with pretty much every other nations LT's.. besides MT-25... MT-25 can rot in hell its not even a LT its just a crippled medium with abysmal MM, like a B1 facing a O-I.

144pen in tier 10 matches. have fun mate.

Strappster #29 Posted 18 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

View PostFluffy_The_Destroyer, on 18 February 2016 - 02:53 PM, said:

Enjoy your tier 10 games with the worst tier 7 LT in game. 13 75 is a POS in comparison with pretty much every other nations LT's.. besides MT-25... MT-25 can rot in hell its not even a LT its just a crippled medium with abysmal MM, like a B1 facing a O-I.

144pen in tier 10 matches. have fun mate.

So you're saying passive scouting and a couple of clips of APCR is the way to go ... :great:

Strappster #30 Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:08 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

Wrapped up the AMX 12 t tonight and managed to finish on a high by completing LT-10 for the T28 HTC as well - finish top on experience and survive the battle. I'd managed the first condition a few times but the second was eluding me thanks to my habit of rushing in too quick during the end phase. Click for replay.

Final thoughts on the 12 t - it's not a bad light tank, it's a bit more sluggish than others at tier 6 but the auto-loader is effective and it's plenty quick enough to take advantage of slower heavies and non-turreted TDs. Camo values are good (crew finished on 94% camo as first skill) and it's quick enough to get into passive spotting positions before the enemy start arriving. It'd be good if it turned a little faster and accelerated a little faster but the gun's accurate enough and it's small enough that if there are other tanks nearby, the enemy will often ignore it until it's penned three shots through their engine.

I mentioned earlier that I was running fuel and I did up to the end though I was set on fire more often, probably because I was being more aggressive in the latter stages. Thanks to the unusual layout, anything shooting you in the front right side or rear quarters has a good chance of taking out the engine/transmission or fuel tanks and the tracks take a lot of shots into the sides.

So, is it a hidden gem or a keeper? No. Other tanks at tier 6 do the light tank role better or are a bit more flexible. The awkward profile means the turret can be visible when you think you're hull down and it's frustrating when you're racing Cromwells to the best spotting locations because it's just not quite fast enough.

I finished with one MoE, current rating of 78.59%. I don't feel any compunction to hang on to it until I've got more, especially as the 13 75 uses the same gun - I can only deal with so much more of the same. At least this has been a useful primer for the longer grind ahead!

Overall - better than I thought it'd be and deserves a slightly better reputation ... but only slightly.

Credit report - ended on a round figure of Cr.1,700,000, more than enough to buy the 13 75 and retrain the crew. I'll be training them with credits so will put them in the 13 57 F to get the base skills back up to 100% and replenish funds.

Strappster #31 Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:59 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

Tier 7 - AMX 13 75

Not sure what can be said about this that I didn't cover in the previous review. It's an AMX 12 t that's been enlarged slightly. The guns carry over from the 12 t but you can't mount the top gun until the suspension has been upgraded, which is annoying. The engine's don't carry over and performance is somewhat sluggish in what's supposed to be a light tank. The top engine is diesel whereas the earlier ones are gasoline so you lose the option to run fuel as a consumable with the "best" engine, which is named ironically as it's only 20hp up on the previous engine and weighs 370kg more with no lesser chance of fire, though engine hp does go from 160 to 190 (module damage only, doesn't change overall hp).

Ammo capacity with the stock gun is 42 rounds (clips of 6 again), dropping to 36 with the upgraded gun, which also reduces depression from 8o to 6o. The interclip reload comes down to 2 seconds, with a full clip reload taking 15 seconds. The best thing that can be said about the gun is that it's viable. It's ok when dealing with other lights (although so is throwing rocks thanks to the thin armour on most of them) and it's useful in the latter stages of a battle if you can get to the sides or rear of larger tanks.

Camo values are good for its class despite the tank being quite tall and by this point the crew should have a reasonable camouflage skill to help it along. View range is great at a base 390m though you're now fighting at the tiers where mediums get this as a base view range too so care needs to be taken to avoid being counter-spotted in the early part of the battle. 

Gun handling isn't bad but it's not great either. Long shots can be placed reasonably well, though it's often a choice of hoping for the front or rear of the target over 300m and being satisfied that at least it's hit. That's ok given that this tank can circle slow opponents easily enough and put roughly 800 damage on them from a full clip if you only fire at the softer parts. It's sometimes surprising how well this tank can hit while on the move, usually an auto-aimed shot at a tank that's pursuing as you run for cover and/or support. I'm training Snap Shot and Smooth Ride to help with these situations.

Like the 12 t, this is a compact tank and can suffer multiple module/crew damage. The tracks take up a significant proportion of the side of the tank and can eat a few shells and while the armour is nothing to boast about, the angling can bounce shots on occasion if RNGesus is smiling. Definitely not to be relied upon, of course.

Also like the 12 t, this is a tank of two phases - the passive spotting phase at the start of a battle and the clean-up towards the end. I use camo net and binocs to support that, the binocs provided a view range of 497m with a 100% crew and vents, no vision skills yet. Two of my crew are at 100% camo, the commander is currently at 65% having been retrained for Sixth Sense and this means the tank can remain unspotted until the enemy is within 170m.

Overall, this can be a very frustrating tank to drive, particularly if you have a team which doesn't shoot at the targets you're spotting during the passive phase. The new physics of patch 9.14 affects this tank quite badly as it carries a lot of weight high up with the oscillating turret but can be dealt with by occasionally taking your finger off the W key if you notice it starting to lean. It's not as fun to drive as something like a WZ-131 but if you can get to a good position and get a clip off, it's entertaining enough.

It's not a keeper by any means. I'm hoping to get through as much of it as I can over the Easter weekend and a reasonable amount of spotting and a few hits returns a fairly consistent 1k XP so that shouldn't be too much of an ask. It's a shame that it's not that much different to the 12 t, it feels like a tier-filler prior to the 13 90 rather than a tank in its own right. If you're set on this line, it'll help to learn the phrase "*sigh* that's why it's called a grind" before you start.

Credit report: paid for 7 days of temporary camo because every bit helps when spotting - Cr. 1,300,000 in the bank.

Strappster #32 Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

Tier 7 - AMX 13 57 GF

Tier 7 bonus review!

Originally available as a promotion during the grand finals of 2015, this tank came up for sale again as one of the Advent offers, where I picked it up. At first it doesn't look dissimilar from the AMX 13 75 (57mm vs. 75mm guns - the clue's in the namesand plays very much like it, with a couple of notable exceptions. As a premium it delivers a credit bonus and a useful XP boost though it doesn't get preferential match-making. Camo and emblems cannot be applied thanks to the Grand Finals livery but the standard paint confers the same bonus as having all three flavours of camo paint (same as the M46 KR and Mutz).

The mobility soft stats and gun handling are almost identical to the 13 75, the 13 57 being very slightly better in most categories. The first exception is that despite having less power and a lower power/weight ratio than the 75, the 57 feels perkier. This could be down to its traverse speed being better (48o/s compared to 42 on the 75) or simply a fault in perception - buyer's confirmation bias, perhaps. Whatever it is, I always look forward to driving this tank, even if it's only to get the daily first win bonus but there's another good reason for that ...

The gun. Oh, my word, the gun. It's ridiculously long and makes the tank look like a French anteater and the AP penetration of 143mm leads to the same shyness in confrontation as the 144mm on the 75 with top gun, plus they share the same accuracy of 0.35. Damage suffers most in comparison, the 57 delivering an alpha of 90 compared to the less-than-mindblowing 135 of the 75. Muzzle velocity is an improvement on the 57, with 1,141m/s on AP, climbing to 1,463m/s with APCR compared to the 1,000m/s AP and 1,250m/s APCR of the 75. The clip reload is the same 15 seconds on both tanks.

So why am I so enamoured with the gun? The interclip shell reload is 1 second and a clip holds 8 shells. To put that into perspective, it's possible to drive out of cover, empty the clip delivering an average alpha of 720 and run away in less time than it takes an IS-3 to reload. The low alpha acts in its favour, surprisingly, as many heavy tank drivers don't think much about a hit of 90 damage when they're distracted by other heavies but after they've taken 4 or 5 hits and it's still happening, most tend to notice. Against other light tanks, it prompts reactions such as this from a slightly baffled T69 driver after the first shot took out his turret ring and the rest of the clip finished him off.

The tank plays very much like the AMX 13 75 but it excels at hit and run tactics against distracted enemies. The bloom means that the short reload can't really be used at longer ranges but it's when things get up close and personal that it shines. That said, I'm not sure I'd recommend it to others; it's quite situational and can be as frustrating to play as the 13 75 - if you can't make those flanking opportunities you can easily end up getting very little from a battle. Plus the more of them that are out there, the bigger chance I've got of running into another one and quite frankly, I'd prefer not to as that gun can tear light tanks apart ;)

Chichila #33 Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:40 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12961 battles
I'm afraid to move away from my beloved ELC. But I might give it a go based on what you wrote :)

Strappster #34 Posted 27 March 2016 - 11:15 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

View PostChichila, on 27 March 2016 - 08:40 PM, said:

I'm afraid to move away from my beloved ELC. But I might give it a go based on what you wrote :)

Good to hear!

The 12 t is a very different tank to the ELC and as you can tell from the blurb above, it took me some time to get used to. One of the most annoying things is that you'll meet tier VII opposition like LTTBs and Bulldogs, both of which make me question why I'm sticking with the AMX line instead of switching. Probably because I'm a stubborn git and I really want the 13 90 and BatChat.

Remember the two-phase approach to pretty much every battle - spot for the first half, look for opportunities in the second. Don't be tempted into running forward with another light or medium if one blasts past you unless you're sure that you'll have support. These tanks have taught me so much about the importance of the minimap and having a team that will work with you.

But keep the ELC - everyone should have one in the garage for those special times when you want to giggle lots :)

Strappster #35 Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:47 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

After a long weekend of grinding, I got enough XP to research the AMX 13 90, yay! :)

Stock it's worse than the 13 75 and upgraded with what parts you can bring forward, it's pretty much the same tank, boo. :(

The 13 75's top engine and radio can be brought straight into the 13 90 and it's worth doing otherwise all you've got is another AMX 12t. It feels a little sluggish in comparison to the 13 75, which seems odd but may explain that if you compare the tanks on tanks.gg, the soft mobility stats aren't as good in the 13 90. The gun handling soft stats are also a little worse, whether these should change with the gun I don't know and I haven't fired enough yet to be sure.

Overall first impression, it's ok. I've had enough time to get used to the 13 75 (174 battles) that more of the same may be an anti-climax but it's not the end of the world. The upgrade options are for another engine, suspension and, of course, the 90mm auto-loader which gives the tank its name.

Thing is, you can upgrade the gun on the stock suspension, which is great because you're not forced into waiting until you've unlocked the suspension like on the 13 75. Or you can upgrade the engine, which takes fewer XP and gives you 50hp more to play with. I mentioned that the tank is a little sluggish and as the gun adds nearly 500kg, it might be worth doing the engine and suspension first as I already know about the gun.

Decisions, decisions ...

Edit: forgot the credit report - peaked at Cr.2,805,000 from the 13 75 grind, after purchasing the 13 90 and bringing forward everything possible, including equipment, ammo and consumables, then selling the 13 75 and unwanted module, playing a few rounds in the 90 to get first impressions it ended up at Cr.1,166,000.

Plenty of time to grind out the credits for the next tank as it'll need over 200k XP to research, including the gun required to unlock it. But will that next tank be the Lorraine 40t or the BatChat 25t AP? Rumours abound but they are just rumours .. right?

Edited by Strappster, 29 March 2016 - 07:56 PM.

Chichila #36 Posted 31 March 2016 - 02:57 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 12961 battles
I read mostly bad things about the Lorraine. The Batchat seems like the better bet...at least for now :)

Strappster #37 Posted 08 April 2016 - 02:42 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

View PostChichila, on 31 March 2016 - 01:57 PM, said:

I read mostly bad things about the Lorraine. The Batchat seems like the better bet...at least for now 

I'm not expecting the Lorraine to be a keeper, it's more like another stepping stone. At least it should be different from the AMX tanks which don't change very much from tier VI through to VIII. I haven't seen anything more about the BatChat AP replacing it but as long as they both take 3 crew, I'll be ok with that as I only need one more female crew from the T28 HTC missions and need an unlocked tank to assign them to.

Got the AMX 13 90 fully upgraded with the last addition being the suspension. First battle, using my new speedier traverse and it's great but trying it while moving at speed down a not particularly steep hill caused the tank to roll onto its turret and explode 30 seconds later. I'm seeing it as a limited success.

Too early to make a review in any depth but I'm definitely enjoying the 90mm over the previous 75mm guns, though the increase from a 15-second clip reload to 40-seconds takes a lot of the shine off it.

Credit report: This is the tier where costs can really start biting - it's easy to make a loss if you don't do much damage or have to fire some prem. Buying modules and putting on 30-day camo cost a reasonable sum, topped up with some good platoon games with the clan, leaving an interim figure of Cr.1,310,000.

Strappster #38 Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:42 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

Tier 8 - AMX 13 90

This is it, the last of the French lights. I've put off writing this review for a while because I simply didn't know how to play the 13 90 but I'm happy to say now that it's become my favourite light medium tank. So, start at the beginning with a quick recap of earlier impressions - stock, it's another 13 75 and needs to be upgraded. A lot.

Once past the stock grind, the biggest issue is light tank match-making - you'll always face tier 9 opposition and tier 9 mediums can compete with lights on view range. This means that bushing up and spotting for your team isn't always the best tactic because without a full camo crew, you're going to be spotted much sooner than you think. Add in the increased mobility of tier 9 and 10 tanks and you're moving away from the meta where teams sit waiting for enemies to be spotted.

I referred to this above as a light medium tank. Play it as a light when the opportunity arises but retain the option to make the most of your mobility and punchy gun (the top one, at least) and play as an unarmoured medium auto-loader. In that way it makes sense as an introduction to the baby BatChat, though it may be the better tank for that approach simply because of retaining its concealment on the move.

The concealment is the best feature. Hiding in dense bushes with vehicle camo and a 100% camo skilled crew, enemies have to get to nearly 100m before they will see you. When moving with no cover, you still cannot be seen at distances over 300m (source) but with optics and a 100% crew, your vision will exceed the 445m cap so you'll be able to play the popular game of Does He Have Sixth Sense?

Downsides - the gun. It's not particularly accurate, it takes too long to aim, the soft stats are awful, the inter-clip reload is long at 2.73s per shell, the magazine reload is 41s for 6 shells and most annoyingly, it cannot be fitted with a vertical stabiliser. On paper this is one of the worst guns on its tier and tanks such as the auto-loading Bulldog a tier below make it look positively silly. Add in the AP pen of 170 and it's not surprising that some players use a full prammo loadout (248 pen with APCR).

You don't have the armour to bounce shells though you do get troll bounces and track hits but you cannot rely on those, obviously. The hull and turret traverse are sluggish if not outright slow and the terrain resistances are poor compared to its rivals (comparison on tanks.gg).

For me, the key to playing this tank is to move away from the light tank / hidden sniper game which, in fairness, the earlier AMX lights also do not excel at for similar reasons. The accuracy and aim time mean that you cannot reliably hit weak spots at range and firing will remove your camo. Instead, play as an active scout, use the excellent concealment and make the most of terrain features to get close enough to pop out of cover, circle your target and empty the magazine before running away again to reload. The tank is small enough that even low ridges can provide sufficient cover.

Find distracted targets, those engaged with your team or other auto-loaders on reload, plan a route to get to their sides or rear and look for any covering fire they may have. Sometimes you have to accept a hit or two as the price of removing a tank so it's worth knowing an approximate alpha of those potential hits. Your hitpoints are a resource - can you afford to spend them for the net gain? Perhaps most importantly, have an escape plan. How are you going to get away after either destroying your target or emptying your magazine? What will you do if there are unspotted enemies covering your target? 'Explode' should not be the answer to that question.

This tank is difficult to play well and I won't pretend that I think I've got the answer. I've found an answer that works for me and as a result I now look forward to playing this tank, which is a recommendation of sorts. It's taken me a long time and a lot of battles to get to that position (it's my first high tier light) but as a result I've got a better understanding of other tanks including plenty that I haven't played, the value of the minimap and knowing how to read it and what to look for in the team lists. Minimap features such as last spotted location are essential - turn them on now if you haven't already.

Compared to its tier 8 rivals, the 13 90 only betters them at concealment so make the most of it. My run-down of the contenders, for what it's worth ...

• RU 251 - fast, mobile, great gun, accurate on the move. Best tactic if you can't catch them unawares is to kite them into chasing you and lead them to your team in the hope they'll tunnel-vision on you and your team can deal with them.

• T-54 Lightweight - the best tier 8 light tank because it's a medium tank that shrunk in the wash. Outstanding armour for a light (and many mediums), good gun, great mobility. Slightly less view range (390m stock) so hide and poke at him or treat as with RU 251.

• M 41 90 GF - mixed bag. If it's a RU 251 player driving for credits and crew training, look out. If it's a non-light player, enjoy, assuming you can hit him before your team does. Evaluate based on positioning and actions.

• WZ-132 - rare with a punchy gun on a platform that does everything slightly less well than the Lightweight. If I see these, they're usually sniping so wait until they're busy and surprise them.

• T49 - the non-spotting light tank. Will be seen driving in circles at full speed looking for a CDC whose day he can ruin with a chat log full of team messages saying ffs T49 spot!!! Long reload and poor accuracy on the derp cannon means waiting for him to spam his shell into the scenery and then take care of him. If he manages to hit you, throw your keyboard on the floor in disgust, then pick it up and type OMG noob hax in all-chat because there isn't much else you'll be able to do after that. Only a concern if he's platooned with other T49s, in which case there's some urgent spotting for you to do on the other flank.

And that's it, I've finished my journey through the French light tanks and have a newly purchased babyBat in my garage awaiting its crew. I'll continue playing the 13 90 as I want unlock the AMX 30 plus it's a tank I really do have fun with, although it's often that frustrating sense of fun which comes when you work your butt off getting spots but your team contains more potatoes than a crisp factory.

In case anyone's interested, I play the 13 90 with coated optics, vents and a GLD. First crew skill as with all light tanks is camo, then drop on the commander for sixth sense and train second skill as camo again. Second skills for the driver and gunner are snap shot and smooth ride in the hope of mitigating the gun handling as much as possible because if you're active scouting, you will be firing on the move and it needs all the help it can get. I'm into my third skill now, situational awareness and repairs. I won't drop for BiA until the crew are into their fourth skill, 100% camo combined with the gun skills make them too useful to reset.

Seems to do the job for me :)

Image links to replay.

So, would I recommend French lights to others? In short, yes because BatChat. In long, yes but know that if you don't play light tanks or auto-loaders, they're difficult to play well and the magazine reload can ruin your day if you're in a position where you need to carry. Look for damaged enemies that you can finish with a clip, preferably with a shell in reserve because you'll probably bounce one or fire into tracks when circling with auto-aim. On the upside, you'll learn a lot about how to use terrain features, learn the maps and discover how to read the minimap effectively but remember that it's a steep learning curve and one to be wary of if you're a numberwang because your stats will suffer before they improve.

Keepers from the line - below tier 5, novelty value or collectors only. While I did quite like the AMX 38, I don't like tier 3 gameplay and it's pointless when you face tier 5 opposition. The AMX 40 is quirky with comedy armour but so slow that most engagements are over before you arrive. If it was able to reach its advertised speed of 50kph, it'd be an absolute hoot but it struggles to do that even in a cliff dive. It should also be amphibious because ducky.

The AMX ELC bis is a definite keeper. Fast, mobile, invisible light tank destroyer capable of punching well above its weight. Brilliant, fun little tank. The AMX 12t and 13 75 are gone but not forgotten. There are plenty of light tank options in these tiers and neither does anything better than their competition except for passive spotting. At tier 6 I prefer the Type 64 and tier 7, the AMX 13 57 and WZ-131. I might review that opinion if I played them more actively in a similar way to the 13 90 but I'm in no hurry to find out.

In case I haven't been effusive enough, the 13 90 is also a keeper. A great tank that requires a reasonable team to do very well but is capable nonetheless. Has a catchphrase that's illustrated below, caption omitted because ;)

Strappster #39 Posted 19 August 2016 - 12:49 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

D'oh, forgot the final credit report. :facepalm:

The total was just north of Cr.2,500,000 and as there's a discount on high tier tanks this weekend, the babyBat is in my garage though it isn't equipped as I'm putting a female crew in this tank and I've two missions to complete before the crew can be finished. Maybe by the time I get around to playing with it, WG will have introduced tier 10 light tanks and I'll have to update this thread.

ch3vre #40 Posted 17 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1776 battles
What crew skills did you use after concealment? My first set is 6th sense/camo/camo so 2nd will be camo for the commander but I have not decided what to get for the others. Also did you have BiA on the crew?

Also tagged with French, Light tanks, AMX, BatChat, Nonsense

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users