French Fancies - a noob on the road to the BatChat

French Light tanks AMX BatChat Nonsense

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Strappster #41 Posted 17 October 2016 - 03:13 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

I took smooth ride and snapshot as second skills on the driver and gunner. Smooth ride only works when you're moving in a straight line but IMO it's necessary due to not being able to mount vert. stabs. on the 13 90.

I dropped for BiA when the crew were at roughly 80% of third skill (repairs) because according to the camo calculator I use (link), I'd only lose about 20m concealment by resetting the commander's camo. Retraining for credits gave him about 40% in the third skill but it was a while ago and I wasn't paying too much attention. The driver and gunner got smooth ride and snapshot again.

Next skill will be repairs to get tracks back up quickly without burning the repair kit, then probably situational awareness and whatever else takes my fancy.

ch3vre #42 Posted 18 October 2016 - 11:44 AM

Private

• Player
  • 1776 battles
Thanks! Will use that route - it will be a long one (but hey only 25k xp to Accelerated crew training :) ;)

Fluffy_The_Destroyer #43 Posted 24 October 2016 - 01:32 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 53 battles
13 90 wouldent be so bad if the bloom was horrible along with almost 3 second interclip. no armor and low hp should justify having Vstab like the rest of the LT's at tier 8.

Eila_Juutilainen #44 Posted 24 October 2016 - 02:09 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21258 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND

View PostFluffy_The_Destroyer, on 24 October 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

13 90 wouldent be so bad if the bloom was horrible along with almost 3 second interclip. no armor and low hp should justify having Vstab like the rest of the LT's at tier 8.

Keep the VStab and give me improved dispersion stats.

Strappster #45 Posted 24 October 2016 - 03:52 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 25989 battles

View PostFluffy_The_Destroyer, on 24 October 2016 - 12:32 PM, said:

Most light tank lines can fit vert. stabs. at tier 7. The only exceptions are the AMX tanks (13 75, 13 57) and LTTB.

BP_OMowe #46 Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:26 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 24764 battles
  • [-GY-] -GY-

View PostStrappster, on 03 December 2015 - 10:38 AM, said:

Tier 1 - Renault FT

Posted Image

Ugh. I'm not a fan of tier 1 tanks, I'm not sure who is. This tracked shoebox wearing a waste paper bin is what passes for the tier I French tank. It flatters to deceive, being quite quick off the line but it's a wasted hope as it doesn't get much faster after the initial burst.

While not a match for speed to the US or German options, at least the stock gun isn't terrible. It isn't great either, not being particularly accurate but it has some punch and I was able to record enough damage to get the experience necessary to move up quite quickly.

The first 'upgrade' weapon is the Hotchkiss machine gun and frankly, it's a bit of a let-down. If you've seen the US players tearing holes in people and wish to copy them, it's not going to be with this thing. The dispersion is terrible and for some reason linked to it being a 15-shot magazine loader, each click fires five shells. The first might hit your target but the recoil will mean you're better off spamming at the general area of your enemy and hoping for the best. In one match I fired 60 shells and scored 10 hits and I thought I did quite well.

Unlock the turret (a slightly heavier waste paper bin) and you can fit the 25mm 'top' gun, which has better considerably better penetration than stock while delivering less damage. Good rate of fire and more accurate but at this level, as soon as you're spotted everyone is going to spam shoot you so you'll be lucky to get off a couple of rounds before dying. At least this gun opens the door to the FCM 36 and we're on the right branch.

On a positive note, the armour is good enough to shrug off a few longer-range machine gun shots so that's something in it's favour. The rest of the modules are slight improvements over stock, the turret has enough armour to consider playing hull-down positions but given the rush-and-spam nature of tier 1, it doesn't work that well as you're usually not in position for long enough. It's always worth upgrading the radio if you can but frankly, if you're not concerned about getting it to elite status, don't bother and save the EXP for the path you want to unlock.

It should be noted that you can opt to move to the R35 next rather than the FCM which brings you to the AMX 38 too. There's a slightly different 37mm gun option but I didn't bother with that as the plan is to play the AMX line and I'm going straight across the tree.

Overall rating: necessary evil for any progress down the French tree. Put it this way - I played a few more rounds to get enough EXP to unlock every branch off the FT, partly to give it elite status but mainly so I don't have to play the damn thing again should I want to play another branch later.

Also added a new rule - every new tank must be played for at least one round as stock on the basis that unless you know how the stock tank plays, how can you tell what's improved?

Well, with the rebuild of the French tree, the FT lost the top gun, leaving only the 13,2mm Hotchkiss as possible upgrade.

While the FCM 36 still is the next tank, Renault R35 is also leading to the AMX 38 although for some reason it is NOT included in the "Top of the Tree"-path to the Batignolles-Châtillon 25 t.

Also tagged with French, Light tanks, AMX, BatChat, Nonsense

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users