• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

leggasiini #1 Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:10 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16958 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Background of Type 4/5, if interested: http://ftr.wot-news....-japanese-tank/

All we know, Type 4 and 5 (a.k.a Type 2604 and Type 2605) were Japanese super heavy tank projects. Basically, they were massive and they mounted big naval guns from light cruisers, such as Kuma-class cruisers. All photos, that exists on them, is questionable drawing, and picture of a bunker that's turret is notably similar to Type 4/5's turret. Basically, they were the same tank. Type 5 is basically Type 4 that's engine deck got lowered by 35%, most likely to save weight. The drawing is arguably Type 5.

Type 4 and 5 became tier 9 and 10 heavy tanks, respectively, at top of Japanese heavy branch. The model of Type 5 was pretty, but i noticed something incorrect things on it. Turret looked odd, it looked much fatter than on drawing and had hull cheeks. There were no sign of those at drawings, atleast about frontal ones. 

Finally, i now decided to take a look at differences of 3 pictures; drawing, picture of the bunker, and in-game Type 5 Heavy itself. 

cR4tNcE.jpg

Drawing is pretty much a sketch. However, there isnt any other picture that shows entire tank, so in my opinion, Type 5's model should be based on it. However, pic of turret DOES exist, making it "priority" over sketch so basically turret should be based on it. Because turret is different on bunker than drawing, it was very possible hull was supposed to look different. Thats probably where WG took inspration and made it like this, probably bit based on like other Japanese heavies.

At same time, this more "historical" change would make armor of these tanks more balanced. The problem is, they dont have weakspots, which forces gold spam and when gold is spammed, value of armor on Types decreases notably (much more than E-100 and Maus), and situation is even worse when they cant relieably angle and sidescrape (although not impossible). Lower plate would be new potential weakspot, which doesnt "force" gold spam, however, it would be hidden by hulldowning or sidescraping. Removing cheeks would give these tanks ability to angle and sidescrape rather well, improving their performance. 

So with these changes, these two tanks would be both more historical and have more balanced armor (no, not worse). Only downside is that, well, in my opinion, based on my (poorly) edited image on Type 5, these tanks would become...uglier.

What you think?

Nishi_Kinuyo #2 Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:14 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 8831 battles
  • [GUP] GUP

Like you state yourself, the drawing/sketch is of questionable authenticity/age, so it might have some parts in error.

Additionally, the drawing might not represent the final product as might've been produced.

I think that ultimately, we might never know what they looked like for sure.

That said, the changes you suggest would put it more in-line with the tier 5&6(&8?) O-I tanks in æsthetics.

But, to be honest, I'm fine with them looking like upscaled versions of the Chi-Ri, since that would tie them æsthetically to the light/medium lines.

Eila_Juutilainen #3 Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

Colonel

• Player
  • 21434 battles
  • [102ND] 102ND
The documents that go with that sketch were mostly about the engine and cooling mechanisms, which are quite obviously the most detailed part of the drawing. It's safe to assume that the tank shape is not entirely accurate.

Daigensui_NA #4 Posted 07 January 2016 - 06:37 AM

Private

• Player
  • 0 battles

The whole design is basically just an upscaled Chi-Ri. The current model is about as accurate as it can be in terms of shape.

Eokokok #5 Posted 07 January 2016 - 10:32 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 18742 battles

View PostEila_Juutilainen, on 06 December 2015 - 09:23 AM, said:

The documents that go with that sketch were mostly about the engine and cooling mechanisms, which are quite obviously the most detailed part of the drawing. It's safe to assume that the tank shape is not entirely accurate.

Plus anyone with any engineering sense can easily tell you that this kind of cross-section with simplified outline would be just that - an outline. So trying to get the shape and placement of the cheeks on the upper belt from this kind of pic is simply pointless, since either way they would not be included.

Monkeymaddness #6 Posted 24 April 2016 - 04:16 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3973 battles

hmm i never noticed this. well spotted. very interesting, and nice work with MS-Paint :D

now are there forums exactly like this about the fake O-Is?

Nishi_Kinuyo #7 Posted 24 April 2016 - 08:05 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 8831 battles
  • [GUP] GUP
How are the O-Is fake? Design docs were found last year.

Monkeymaddness #8 Posted 06 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 3973 battles

View PostOnisuzume, on 24 April 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

How are the O-Is fake? Design docs were found last year.

the other OIs... O-ni, O-ho and OI-exp

im hoping that the mi-to (unfinished OI) can go tier 5 and Listys type 97 can solve tier 4 problem. he publishes his latest work soon he says

im not sure is the magazine on the 105mm long experimental gun can fit inside the turret of the OI but then gun is also an option since the gun is also an option since it was proposed to be mounted on anything mounting the 105mm derp

i been searching a long time for the story and info on the 105mm-exp KAI gun but didnt find anything so sources on that would be apreciated

but even if the tier 6 OI can fill up all these slots I really thing the fakes after tier 6 are worth it. maybe we can just get the OI up to tier 7 and then look at the stages of development between tier 6 oi and the type4/5. that way we might find a filler or two. 

this is what im getting at here

Also tagged with type 4 heavy, type 5 heavy, historical, model

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users