• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

CaptKhazi #1 Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44802 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Hi guys

Some advice. I have been having some issues with WOT since the last patch. basically when the battle is on either Kharkov or Stalingrad, my computer seems unable to cope and no scenery is loaded - I just see tanks and the blue or grey background of the sky.

After raising a couple of tickets with support - and going through the process of completely uninstalling and purging my machine of WOT and then reinstalling (which took a day to download thanks to my torrent strangling ISP), the same issue has reocurred.

I think my computer is at its limit. This is the spec (home built in 2008 and with an upgraded mb, processor and GPU a couple of years ago - albeit not expensive ones).

Asus P8H1-MX motherboard

Intel i5 3470 running at 3.20 Ghz

4GB DDR3 RAM 1333 Mhz

GTX 650 GPU.

I currently run Windows XP, and am loathed to necessarily change it as I have a couple of work related programs that don't like newer windows versions.

I have just increased the virtual memory, and that seems to have improved the loading of battles, but I think I need to spend some money on new components.... and i am going to fit an SSD in the next few days.

So, what do I need to change?

Homer_J #2 Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:46 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

I assume that you are running XP 32 bit, in which case 4GB is your limit (including video RAM), if you really aren't prepared to change that then there's probably no point in upgrading anything else.

The problem you are getting is supposed to be related to a lack of memory, I would expect 4GB to be enough though.

CaptKhazi #3 Posted 07 December 2015 - 05:29 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44802 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Yes, I am aware of the 4GB limit. I have considered a new operating system, but I have so much important stuff that I know won't run on a non xp machine, it gives me the shivers thinking about reinstalling everything.

I understand in Windows 10 you can install a virtual machine that runs on xp....... that would be an option, but I would rather it be a clone of the existing xp machine rather than a new install.

However, I wouldn't mind having a mid spec new os if I can sort out the xp clone. What would be a reasonable spec without going over the top - able to run WOT with a decent graphics - atm I run on minimum.

Strange_Neighbour #4 Posted 07 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

Major

• Player
  • 2617 battles

RAM isn't the issue here IMO. 4GB is more than enough for WoT (Fallout 4 uses a max of 2.5GB on my PC).

I'm going to guess it's your GPU (the graphical issues don't help me think otherwise), but then again - computers. They're touchy as fuq. :/

edit: currently running a Sapphire HD 7870 XT, have no problems running most games on high-max (though aforementioned Fallout 4 can get pretty laggy at times). Old GPU which I use if I ever get driver issues with my 7870 is an Asus GT630 or something, it could run WoT (and BF3, CoD, TF2, etc.) smoothly enough on low-mid settings... Your GPU should be fine.

Try updating all drivers if you already haven't. Might not help but it won't hurt trying. Use Driver Booster if you don't know how.

Edited by Strange_Neighbour, 07 December 2015 - 10:18 PM.

Homer_J #5 Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:30 PM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 28291 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
Considering an upgrade will probably mean most of the system then how about build an entire new system with a supported operating system and have the xp system running headless using remote desktop or vnc.

CaptKhazi #6 Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:31 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 44802 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

Thanks for the feedback.

I have come up with a solution, which is to convert my existing XP installation into a VHD format and then when I have done a clean install of Windows 10, I can then use it as a virtual machine. 

I have plenty of HDDs, as my machine originally had a RAID 5 and Mirror main HD installation, so I guess that is easy enough to do and isolate it on its own HD and to be run virtually. 

I will install Windows 10 on a new SDD and go from there.

So, I guess my cheapest option would be to stick with the exisiting hardware and maybe upgrade with more RAM in the first place. The MB and GPU are not so old - so I should get an improved performance with out spending too much money?

The big plus is I can retain the original HD with the XP installation in case something goes "tits up".

A

Edited by CaptKhazi, 08 December 2015 - 11:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users