Possible Packet Loss Fix [It worked here]

Packet Loss Fix

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

1stWarlord #1 Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24872 battles

Good day everyone. Finally I think I may have fixed the well known problem of ' packet loss'. Basically during the evenings ( AKA high traffic hours ) ,the game was flat out unplayable. Tanks were teleporting ,trigger delay and so on. Pingplotter was showing somewhere between 10-20% packet loss. I decided to investigate a bit and I found out that the problem has to do with ' Port Forwarding'. Anyway ,lets cut to the chase ,this is how you fix packet loss:

1. First go to your router settings. Basically open your browser and type in the router's IP in the searchbar. Then ,It will ask for a username and a password which ,by default are "admin" ( without the quotation marks).  http://i.imgur.com/SKlBw6s.jpg
  2. Once you are in the router's settings page ,you want to find the tab called  Forwarding ( It will not look the same to everyone ) http://i.imgur.com/KU5CpgX.jpg .
  3. Now you want to go to the DMZ tab ,check "Enable" if its not already enabled ,then in the "DMZ Host Ip Address" field you want to write your computer's IP. http://i.imgur.com/QekfeHH.jpg .

Yeah ,and basically thats it. it fixed the problem for me. From 10-20% packet loss I got to 0% packet loss. I hope it fixes it for you  as well. Cheers.

P.S: My router is  a TP Link.

Edited by 1stWarlord, 15 December 2015 - 05:01 PM.

janmb #2 Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 20430 battles

Unfortunately, the cause for packet loss can be a ton of different ones. Likewise, the equipment people use for connecting to the net varies a great deal as well - not everyone has a router or network translation of any kind what so ever - although that is most common.

It's a nice gesture, but demilitarized zone config will rarely have anything to do with why people experience latency and/or packet loss. More often than not, the problem is not in your own network at all.

For my own part, I struggle with prime time latency too, but that's cause by a bad router just about halfway between my own country and the WG server - something I can fortunately fix by using a VPN connection to another ISP, giving me a completely different route between my home and the WG server. But yeah, the causes for such problems can be very varied - and thus, so can the solutions.

Strange_Neighbour #3 Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

Major

• Player
  • 2617 battles

Your IP is 192.168.0.1 and you're a dirty pirate... Just sayin'.

Also thanks, I'll try this tomorrow... Anything that helps with my packet loss I'll try... Just gotta get onto my ISP and reset my router password. :/

1stWarlord #4 Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:08 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 24872 battles

View PostStrange_Neighbour, on 16 December 2015 - 10:04 PM, said:

Also thanks, I'll try this tomorrow... Anything that helps with my packet loss I'll try... Just gotta get onto my ISP and reset my router password. :/

I know ,I suck at hiding stuff. Why am I a pirate ? :trollface:

P.S: Did you actually quote me on that 50-60 kmh camping ? Im honored.

Edited by 1stWarlord, 16 December 2015 - 08:35 PM.

AliceUnchained #5 Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:13 AM

General

• Player
  • 38749 battles
  • [322] 322

View PostStrange_Neighbour, on 16 December 2015 - 08:04 PM, said:

That would be a local IP address. Basically everyone will have one like this: 192.168.x.x

Homer_J #6 Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:24 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30162 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

You put your PC in the DMZ?

Can I ask that again, you put your PC in the DMZ?

Do you actually know what you did?

Really?

I don't think you do.

And I advise anyone else not to do this unless they do know what they are doing and the implications.

Basically, OP just put his PC and all it's vulnerabilities onto the internet for any script kiddie to take a bash at.

And there is absolutely no reason to do this.  I can categorically say that it absolutely did not fix your issues.

TankkiPoju #7 Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:30 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 21239 battles

View PostHomer_J, on 17 December 2015 - 09:24 AM, said:

Basically, OP just put his PC and all it's vulnerabilities onto the internet for any script kiddie to take a bash at.

And there is absolutely no reason to do this.  I can categorically say that it absolutely did not fix your issues.

I do believe the correct term for this is "whoosh".

Also, you are probably not putting your PC to the public internet. You cannot actually do that, unless your ISP ensures your connection has a public IP address, which is not common these days. What you are probably doing is putting your PC to the intranet of your ISP.

Edited by TankkiPoju, 17 December 2015 - 09:33 AM.

D4nunax_ #8 Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:36 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31079 battles
  • [_FNS_] _FNS_

It means he had a firewall, and was blocking some packages.

It is enough to put the wot server IP's in the Port Forwarding.

In computer security, a DMZ or demilitarized zone (sometimes referred to as a perimeter network) is a physical or logical subnetwork that contains and exposes an organization's external-facing services to a larger and untrusted network, usually the Internet. The purpose of a DMZ is to add an additional layer of security to an organization's local area network (LAN); an external network node only has direct access to equipment in the DMZ, rather than any other part of the network. The name is derived from the term "demilitarized zone", an area between nation states in which military operation is not permitted.

Edited by PinkFloyd1965, 17 December 2015 - 09:37 AM.

Homer_J #9 Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

Field Marshal

• Beta Tester
  • 30162 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE

View PostTankkiPoju, on 17 December 2015 - 08:30 AM, said:

unless your ISP ensures your connection has a public IP address, which is not common these days.

It's still pretty common and if his ISP does have another layer of NAT then that's even more reason why it won't have fixed his issues.

And liek I said, if you don't know what you are doing then you won't know if you have a public IP address either.

View PostPinkFloyd1965, on 17 December 2015 - 08:36 AM, said:

It is enough to put the wot server IP's in the Port Forwarding.

There is no reason to do that either.

I suspect what OP has done is reboot his router to make the settings stick, and that's what cured his packet loss.

Edited by Homer_J, 17 December 2015 - 09:46 AM.

hollzer19 #10 Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 39930 battles

just wanted to thank you, after reading your suggestion(and patch after patch of deteriorating game preformence(for me that is)) today i port forwarded the ports listed hereand the game preformence improved dramatically.

so again thank you very much.

Strange_Neighbour #11 Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:26 PM

Major

• Player
  • 2617 battles

View Post1stWarlord, on 16 December 2015 - 08:08 PM, said:

I know ,I suck at hiding stuff. Why am I a pirate ? :trollface:

P.S: Did you actually quote me on that 50-60 kmh camping ? Im honored.

Of course! 

Also tagged with Packet Loss, Fix

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users