Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 26405 battles

View PostDougHole, on 17 November 2011 - 02:32 PM, said:

You want oldskool?

THIS IS WHERE IT ALL STARTED BABY

Posted Image

Epic game.

If you have the time and patience, you should try Steel Panthers. Top down war game but soooo much detail and its free

http://spwaw.com/

Hat3breeder #43 Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7005 battles

View PostHethwill_Khan, on 17 November 2011 - 01:42 PM, said:

pay attention to Heroes & Generals

under development

Already doing it http://forum.worldof...le_Default.gif.
And I recommend everyone else to do it as well. They're currently on a closed alpha stage, only accessible with a given key, but be sure to at least keep an eye to its development. There's something (seemingly) great being cooked within those software studios (which coincidentally happen european, but not  eastern european, so yeah, double hurray!!!) and I definitely don't wanna miss it.

Hat3breeder #44 Posted 17 November 2011 - 07:30 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 7005 battles

View PostSgt_Bones, on 17 November 2011 - 12:01 AM, said:

Suffer from lag? My eyes suffered from the graphics, it just doesn't do it for me. Tank Ace looks like playstation one low end graphics. It plays ok, to a point, but after a while these big blobby sprite explosions and Damage numbers just make it seem.....old! There just doesn't seem to be anything else out there right now that can compare to WoT graphically, even Steel Beast Pro looks dated by comparison.

Nope, at the moment the closest would be the old panzer elite action, which is ok, but limited and very arcady, but otherwise I can't think of any current game that has comparable tank action. Yeah, sure RO2 is pretty good but still limited, hmmmm, nothing else except for BF2/BF3 tank battles look good these days! And even those have their negative aspects too, like just getting a tank!

If you only play games for their graphics, firstly I don't know what you're doing playing WoT, since this game doesn't really have such great visuals and secondly you're doing it WRONG!
Seriously though, learn to get over games' graphics quality if you can and you'll discover great games.

Thanks for replying, nonetheless.

Sgt_Bones #45 Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:57 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 2849 battles
  • [-FC-] -FC-
You are welcome. But, personally, the graphics do have a lot to do with emersion, if I don't like how the game looks then even if it plays great I may not like it. I tried real hard to be objective with tank ace, but the tank movements are really jerky and just not fluid enough for my tastes. The original Panzer Elite, despite dated graphics is STILL much better than Tank Ace, the graphics are no longer the greatest, but they are IMO better than TA and are fluid (exception being infantry)

So frankly, I am not doing it wrong, I have just been doing it so damned long (I am 46 and have been playing all kinds of games) that I expect a bit of eye candy and game play to be put hand in hand. Just good graphics don't make a good game, but they do make a good game better!

Gladius_501st_MEPD #46 Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18555 battles
Panzer Elite
is the only 3d one I know on PC what I've played
besides Panzer General wich is also with air and inf units
and 2d strategy.

Panzer Elite I found nice. Had some almost romantic atmosphere
between the mission, with the tankplatoon standing arround in
your HQ. As far as I remember it was possible to upgrade the models
for example from PzIII to PzIV. Also fighting ingame vs. infantry.
To its age the gfx i found good in that time.

Sadly, after I made it to get the Tiger for my lead tank in the platoon
I always got destroyed in the first mission after just driving some meters,
made flat by an artilleryattack, no matter what I did, fe. driving elsewhere
way. Frustrated me and I stopped playing.

But I liked it so far. Think there wasnt big internet and patching support in that time yet.
Maybe most here dont even know it (I am 40..)

Gladius_501st_MEPD #47 Posted 18 November 2011 - 01:48 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 18555 battles

View PostHarryStotle, on 17 November 2011 - 04:01 PM, said:

Epic game.

If you have the time and patience, you should try Steel Panthers. Top down war game but soooo much detail and its free

http://spwaw.com/

Veeery cooool! I remember it :-) that rocked!

Sgt_Bones #48 Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:28 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 2849 battles
  • [-FC-] -FC-
Definitely an epic game, still have it on my pc after soooooo many years and multiple upgrades. Worth it. Even with dated graphics. Especially due to the ability to create a set piece battle and "what if" battles.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users