waited so long for a ru251..

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

wetdogsmells #1 Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:09 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14847 battles

and now i hate it, engine destroyed by sneezing on it and the french "lights" mess you up in not so not long. 

i was grinding hard for this and now im close to rage selling and working up through the french auto loaders as any other "scout" is worthless.

Portzi_The_Cat #2 Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

Private

• Player
  • 3855 battles
  • [LEPO] LEPO

What???? Ru 251 is the best T8 light tank imo! 

You are doing something wrong...

mynameispuffs #3 Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 25844 battles
  • [-GLO-] -GLO-

Read the wiki page for the machine and get some tips from there. 

I've played the thing on the test server and I had a lot of fun with it (the gun is quite amusing too). Its got decent mobility, a nice HP pool to boot aswell. From what i remember you can't be TOO aggressive because of the poor armour.

Read the wiki/RU guides on the forums and they may help you :)

wetdogsmells #4 Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:00 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14847 battles
i played mainly lights for quite some time in my early wot playing, im not afraid of having little armour..but i dont know this tank just isnt good, the dogdy gun depression too.

tnk_x5000 #5 Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29102 battles

What you are doing wrong depends on how you play it. Also - no, you have not mainly played ACTUAL light tanks. Don't worry, you will get better, I used to suck a LOT more than you back in the day.

Since my first battles with the tank, I noticed how the tank's acceleration is not exactly something to ride home about, despite being the best of the tier 8 light tanks, according to the Wiki and on paper. If you want something more reactive, you would want to pick the WZ-131 or LTTB, if you are going to play along tier 10 tanks. It takes time for the Ru 251 to accelerate and, on average, the tank moves with 55-70 km/h. If you want to put the 80 km/h speed to good use, you will need some planning before you start moving. You can get some extra speed and acceleration if you go down a slope and choose paths, that have cover and do not require too much sharp turns. Yes, not all maps have such options. In the rest of the cases you will need to combine medium tank playstyle along with classic light-tanking. Also, the Ru 251 is not too small either - there are smaller medium tanks in the game. Thus, with paper armor, it is easy for shots to damage modules.

Don't duel any Bulldogs and AMX 13 90 tanks face to face - try to make them miss, or don't let them shoot you before you reload. It is completely normal for an AMX 13 90 or Bulldog to jump on you, if you are alone, and winning the duel is extremely tricky and, in most cases, impossible to win. But it is not the Ru 251 being bad. If you see someone else going against an autoloader tank, or an autoloader tank attacking someone, it is an extremely good idea to go help your ally.

The tank also needs a good crew build to work properly. I suggest you first train the driver Off-road driving and then Clutch braking and camouflage as a third skill, if you want to unlock more of the tank's potential mobility.

Personally, I think the Ru 251 is the best light tank for random battles, because the mobility and the secretly made by Stalin gun (impossible hits on the move with 2300 DPM) can have serious impacts on battles. Why they don't play it much in the WG League? Because the T-54 Ltwt has the better size, shape and armor, which can protect from tier 8 gold shells.

Edited by tnk_x5000, 19 January 2016 - 08:15 AM.

Tazilon #6 Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:43 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles

View PostPortzi_The_Cat, on 28 December 2015 - 08:49 PM, said:

What???? Ru 251 is the best T8 light tank imo! 

You are doing something wrong...

T-54 ltwt tears it up.    The 251 promises much more than it delivers.

lord_chipmonk #7 Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:45 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 35729 battles
  • [-HOW-] -HOW-

View Postwetdogsmells, on 28 December 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

i played mainly lights for quite some time in my early wot playing, im not afraid of having little armour..but i dont know this tank just isnt good, the dogdy gun depression too.

I've found the RU to be a lot of fun so far. As for the gun depression, it is only 5 to the front, but 8 to the sides, similar to the E50. 

PrinzPilsje #8 Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:46 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 72409 battles

It is not best suited at the front... you are rather a medium range support tank

and your gun depression is best at the sides.. so dont go straight over hills

WaffleTiger #9 Posted 06 January 2016 - 03:48 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Clan Commander
  • 42358 battles
  • [5REST] 5REST
It's amazing - it's dpm is great, mobility and flexibility makes it a contender for the best tier 8 scout I think.

PrinzPilsje #10 Posted 06 January 2016 - 04:36 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 72409 battles

View PostWaffleTiger, on 06 January 2016 - 03:48 PM, said:

It's amazing - it's dpm is great, mobility and flexibility makes it a contender for the best tier 8 scout I think.

Only when not used as a scout... what you mean is: Best tier 8 medium

90grimli90 #11 Posted 06 January 2016 - 05:07 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 23536 battles
  • [GEN] GEN

By the way: With a ru 251 you can win easly from a amx 13 90. You just need to switch to HE, you got time to shoot him 3 times with HE and he will be gone before he killed you.

The best tip for ru 251 is that you need to switch a lot between the 3 kind of shells you got in it. 

Aswell as learning to play with the gun depression of the ru 251, it has more gun depression at the sides then at the front. So most of the time you will angle your tank in an angle around 45°.

Thornvalley #12 Posted 07 January 2016 - 12:57 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 40374 battles
Don't brawl in this tank if you don't have to since it bleeds lots of speed by turning. Many other scouts are more agile than you, but the Ru 251 has good fire power (enough to wreck a Bulldog in 11s with Hesh). The only other scout I'm wary about is the T49, which can quickly ruin your game.

wetdogsmells #13 Posted 12 January 2016 - 08:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 14847 battles

i know all about the ru251 limitaions, trust me i watched many youtube video's on it before release. i prefer the sp 1c! its waaaaay better.

im still hating this tank

you suggest i switch ammo types and yes i already did that given the HE qualities, but its HE and sometimes it gives you 100 dmg and maybe a crit which against many other high tier scouts means certain death or huge loss of hp before escape, the tank just poops speed when you do just about anything plus its sluggish to start.

all this combined with the scout tank being almost pointless and no i love scouts my stats would suggest so given a huge portion of play is in lights, but after all the changes to map's terrain combined with actual physics has made the light tank almost pointless, plus the american and french lights brought in to counter the issues after this.

i will almost leave it in the garage now and never play until something is do with it, its awful and i have the right crew with 2x skills plus vert stabs,optics and rammer still on the move shooting is stupid because of psychics bouncing the tank all over.

there is maybe 2? maps that this tank is really good with everything else is practically pointless sit in a bush at the back and try snipe with a slow muzz velocity gun or just shoot money to over come this??! 

tnk_x5000 #14 Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:22 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29102 battles

How exactly are you trying to play the tank? What is your build? We are pretty much giving you random advices on how to play the tank, but you have to explain your style for us to see where are your mistakes.

Tazilon #15 Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:27 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles

View Post90grimli90, on 06 January 2016 - 04:07 PM, said:

By the way: With a ru 251 you can win easly from a amx 13 90. You just need to switch to HE, you got time to shoot him 3 times with HE and he will be gone before he killed you.

The best tip for ru 251 is that you need to switch a lot between the 3 kind of shells you got in it. 

Aswell as learning to play with the gun depression of the ru 251, it has more gun depression at the sides then at the front. So most of the time you will angle your tank in an angle around 45°.

By the time you get the Ru 251, the better gun depression to the sides should be easy to deal with as both the 16.02 and 28.01 have the same better-to-the-sides depression.

wetdogsmells #16 Posted 06 February 2016 - 12:18 AM

Private

• Player
  • 14847 battles

im very close to selling it actually i want the sp 1c back, the whole point of this german scout line was for the leo1 but im seriously considering starting through to the inden pnzr becuase the ru251 is just BAD.

t49's, bulldogs, amx's and wz's etc are all better in every way.

everything i have already suggested about this tank plus the current meta for light's is just too much for this crappy tank. i have so far 50k exp in it which aint much because i just refuse to play it anymore,i hate it so much! i generally make a loss every game or get derped on by a sneaky kamakazi t49 its just degrading to play, i even use chocolate to try and boost stats which in its self is sucking away credits because of bad games. 

crew - 

6th.camo

camo, snap shot

camo, smooth ride

safe stowage, camo.

equip - 

vert stabs, rammer, coated optics.

dont get me wrong though i can play the tank as i did all the other scouts i have played because i  played "true scouts" before, im enjoying my barrel mark that i got some how on a quite awful game, so suggesting that most others are also playing badly in this tank couple this with quicky babies own struggles i know this tank aint good.

Edited by wetdogsmells, 06 February 2016 - 12:24 AM.

tnk_x5000 #17 Posted 07 February 2016 - 11:30 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 29102 battles

You are still not explaining how you play the tank. Tell us in what situations what you do. You can also upload a replay or two.

Making a quick look through your profile and the tanks you have played, I think you have the wrong mindset for light tanks. You are handling mediums and heavies a lot better.

May I suggest ventilation over V.Stab.? Also, if you feel like having more mobility, go for Off-road Driving. For the commander, it is a choice between being harder to see and seeing better, with other words - Camouflage or Situational Awareness/Recoon.

ProFighte #18 Posted 07 February 2016 - 03:12 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 25352 battles
  • [SA-AS] SA-AS
Ru is not that good, stats shows that it has great gun but i prefer 13 90's gun. It is way too unreliable. Projectile is not very good. I think penetration is just a trick to fool everyone too grind this tank, i dont like it that much. SP 1C was way better.

Edited by ProFighte, 07 February 2016 - 03:13 PM.

Kynaj #19 Posted 07 February 2016 - 07:23 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13870 battles
  • [PKO] PKO
I played about 100 games in ru so far and I got mixed feelings. After 70 battles I had something close to 1900 wn8, now I'm down to 1600 and struggle to do any decent battle. Mobility is good but not as great as I would expect from stats, top speed is amazing but usualy unreachable (and it tends to loose a lot of it on turns). Depresion is fine after i learned how to position tank. My biggest problem with this tank is gun, on paper it looks great, but it seems to be quite inaccurate (even when fully aimed shots tend to deviate), and shooting on the move is like 5% chance to hit even on close range. And last and most annoying thing is shell speed, so damn slow, it's like howitzer and I just cant get used to it.

My best battles so far were mostly when I used it as mobile support tank not a scout.

Tazilon #20 Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 966 battles

View PostKynaj, on 07 February 2016 - 06:23 PM, said:

I played about 100 games in ru so far and I got mixed feelings. After 70 battles I had something close to 1900 wn8, now I'm down to 1600 and struggle to do any decent battle. Mobility is good but not as great as I would expect from stats, top speed is amazing but usualy unreachable (and it tends to loose a lot of it on turns). Depresion is fine after i learned how to position tank. My biggest problem with this tank is gun, on paper it looks great, but it seems to be quite inaccurate (even when fully aimed shots tend to deviate), and shooting on the move is like 5% chance to hit even on close range. And last and most annoying thing is shell speed, so damn slow, it's like howitzer and I just cant get used to it.

My best battles so far were mostly when I used it as mobile support tank not a scout.

Exactly why I say the Ru-251 promises more than it delivers.  It is decent, but it doesn't compare to the T-54 ltwt.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users