Gameplay over on AW

Gameplay Camping Lemmings Corridors Scouting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

GeneralJock #1 Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:05 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14291 battles

So finally played a full evening of Armoured Warfare. A bunch of games at tiers 2 and 3 gave me some insight into how the game is looking like it might pan out as the player base grows and we head out of open beta. Here's a few observations after about 15-20 games.

Positive:

* Maps (very limited) are immediately noticeably less constricted (corridors). While undulations, rocks, bushes and hills provide the opportunity for taking cover, flanking and spotting, there are numerous ways to cross the maps.

* The light tanks have a significant spotting advantage over the MBTs, and can therefore play a meaningful role.

* The absence of 1-shot arty frustration is - of course - just pure joy.

Negative:

* I guess it's just human nature, but I've had more that a couple of pure lemming trains. Been on a flank either alone or with one other tank. Meet 4 or 5 enemies and its nasty toastie time. This to me is one of the greatest failings of solo random mode in WoT, consistent recurring lemming trains that lead to a 2-15 of the like.

Those comments are on gameplay, I'm not going into the worlds-apart richer environment and graphics, or the hugely superior vehicle dynamics, but one aspect of the game also improves play remarkably, and that's the small difference between premium and regular ammo, and a noticeably less violent RNG.

I'm only on low tiers, and only a handful of games, but so far, even in beta: more satisfying, less annoying and more fun to play.

I'm going to play the two of them for a few weeks, but to me, WoT is tiring badly, and AW is very refreshing.

Commander_Chris #2 Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:16 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21767 battles
  • [TFUK] TFUK
Sadly what you say is true, AW can be more refreshing. Haven't played it in a while and even if I did, WoT would always be my game. But I sense a mod will be here shortly.....

Coldspell #3 Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:16 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 19487 battles

View PostGeneralJock, on 10 January 2016 - 10:05 PM, said:

So finally played a full evening of Armoured Warfare. A bunch of games at tiers 2 and 3 gave me some insight into how the game is looking like it might pan out as the player base grows and we head out of open beta. Here's a few observations after about 15-20 games.

Positive:

* Maps (very limited) are immediately noticeably less constricted (corridors). While undulations, rocks, bushes and hills provide the opportunity for taking cover, flanking and spotting, there are numerous ways to cross the maps.

* The light tanks have a significant spotting advantage over the MBTs, and can therefore play a meaningful role.

* The absence of 1-shot arty frustration is - of course - just pure joy.

Negative:

* I guess it's just human nature, but I've had more that a couple of pure lemming trains. Been on a flank either alone or with one other tank. Meet 4 or 5 enemies and its nasty toastie time. This to me is one of the greatest failings of solo random mode in WoT, consistent recurring lemming trains that lead to a 2-15 of the like.

Those comments are on gameplay, I'm not going into the worlds-apart richer environment and graphics, or the hugely superior vehicle dynamics, but one aspect of the game also improves play remarkably, and that's the small difference between premium and regular ammo, and a noticeably less violent RNG.

I'm only on low tiers, and only a handful of games, but so far, even in beta: more satisfying, less annoying and more fun to play.

I'm going to play the two of them for a few weeks, but to me, WoT is tiring badly, and AW is very refreshing.

I got bored with it quicker then WT ground forces, the only novel thing about it was the PVE and the community has shrunk noticeably over the past few weeks.

I had a fair amount of fun for awhile (although I did have issue's with rig performance that took me awhile to iron out).

Frostilicus #4 Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:22 PM

Major

• Clan Diplomat
  • 22465 battles
  • [-ZNO-] -ZNO-

View PostColdspell, on 10 January 2016 - 10:16 PM, said:

I got bored with it quicker then WT ground forces, the only novel thing about it was the PVE and the community has shrunk noticeably over the past few weeks.

I had a fair amount of fun for awhile (although I did have issue's with rig performance that took me awhile to iron out).

I think that might be my issue with AW - my PC is just over a year old, with 16gb RAM and a fairly decent processor in it, but the graphics card, which was salvaged from my old rig  is starting to get a bit long in the tooth - it can still play WoT reliably well, but I found AW to be extremely jerky - maybe I'll try it again once Ive sorted out a gfx card upgrade

Balc0ra #5 Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:36 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 66549 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

Played it last night as a mate had installed it and wanted me to join. Seems that atm PVP lines are tier 3 or 8 that are popular. When I played tier 5 after he left.. it took 2 min to get a game each time as tier 4 to 6 usually had 1 to 6 tanks waiting for a battle, and tier 3 and 8 had 30+ or as high as 50. This was in the middle of the day. And 0 tier 1 tanks in wait. But PVE for tier 5 you got in a match instantly. Tier 3 you had to wait longer. So it's kinda off.

Steam rolls is a thing there to. Me and him either won by losing 1 tank or lost by only killing 1 or 2. Mostly due to lemmings or campers at the back. I suspect most still don't know the maps to well. But I am working on the Bradley atm, and the wait there is to long at times for PVP. PVE gives way less XP and is mostly the same missions over and over until they rotate them again. So not something I do often. But a nice alternative with a stock grind to get the first few shell types up.

But for me? AW is not working to well atm. It did kinda work early on and it was fun in closed beta, but got boring and one sided fast for me after open higher up in the tiers. But still early and still subject to lots of changes. So I'll keep an eye on it. But not playing it much now. In fact I got into World of warships again after the last balance changes. 

Edited by Balc0ra, 10 January 2016 - 11:36 PM.

GeneralJock #6 Posted 10 January 2016 - 11:41 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 14291 battles
It's easy to step back into WoT because the interface is so much more familiar and simpler. That's why I'll play both for a while, and see if I come to a decision. Still playing just now, and I find the game play - I don't know - maybe just a bit more mature and less "arcadey". If you know what I mean. Been around 1 minute to get into any battles tonight. I would say this, the PVE games are interesting... the AI vehicles are better than many team-mates in WoT....

Also tagged with Gameplay, Camping, Lemmings, Corridors, Scouting

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users