M24 Chaffee

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

Addi64 #41 Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Beta Tester
  • 8067 battles
wow ... just WOW!
I got mine yesterday after investing some. It was a hard and long decision if I should give scouts a try.
With about 80k free XP and approx 750k and 1400G I invested (quite much  for a small tank) I got myself this tiny tiny tank with 100% crew, elite and optics+vents and the funny looking 3 color US paint.
and what can I say. 8 matches, 7 wins, 1000 average 1940 max, 10 kills and 83% hit ratio ... wow
It is a true American tank in the game. all the attributes I love about the US trees, just faster. it feels like an E8 on dope. on very much dope.

It looks like a clown, and it drives like one. always be there to annoy the enemy, and survive to do so again. I hope my joy in it keeps up. A very refreshing gameplay ot the heavy grinding. I had the same amount of fun with it as with driving Pershing and Patton.

For me, so far, it was the right decision to get one. Even if it is far more expensive than common sense would allow

BrianDuffy #42 Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:25 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7792 battles
After some 200 battles with the Chaffee I have to say it's about as much fun as I've had in this game, yes it's frustrating having your engine blown up every other game, yes it's annoying having armour made out of wet paper and it really makes me cross seeing those smug buggers in their Ferrari T-50s flying off in the distance with shells pinging off their adamantium carapace but...and this is the biggie....the Chaffee IS NOT A T-50-2 and shouldn't be played in that way.

Now, anyone who cares to look at my stats will see I am not one of these super Chaffee players who regularly post battles with >1k exp and >20K credits. I have a losing ratio and low average exp but I still love this little tank.

Every so often you get "one of those games". Sneak up to a flank and spot a couple, take a couple of shots. Relocate as soon as you're seen and take a shell to the back knocking 50% off your health, now you have to be careful. Hide in the back field (500yds spotting range with 100% crew and Coated Optics) and pick off a bit of health from any target of opportunity. As soon as the smoke of battle clears a bit, run to their base and try to cap or kill their arty. Most satisfying.

Of course the next battle you stick your nose out a bit far "blam" engine gone, "boom" headshot. 10K repair bill and ANOTHER mouse flies through the monitor screen.

I think it takes some getting used to and ANYONE who thinks this tanks should be used in the same was as the Leopard in beta, or the T-50 now will die very fast and be very miserable.

Keep tanking
:Smile_honoring:

Paaranoja #43 Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:11 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 31993 battles
  • [DAVAI] DAVAI
I wanted to cry today: :facepalmic:

Spoiler                     

BrianDuffy #44 Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:14 PM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7792 battles
PLEASE say you recorded it! You must have been gutted  :(  or livid  :angry:

Brilliant job though  :Smile_honoring:

Paaranoja #45 Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 31993 battles
  • [DAVAI] DAVAI

View PostPere_Ubu_Roi, on 13 January 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

PLEASE say you recorded it! You must have been gutted  :(  or livid  :angry:

Brilliant job though  :Smile_honoring:

Unfortunately no... and i became aware of this as i was trying to see if i had a replay of this match, i reinstalled my windows few days ago and i forgot to turn on recording again... stupid me... :facepalmic:

i knew this was going to be a defeat mid game already... our attack failed miserably, and our defenses were non existent, i started to pick isolated tanks one by one, when they started to cap our base i started to kill their artys  :Smile-playing: ...

lol, just noticed, i had only one AP shell left  :lol:

Heinzi #46 Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:22 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 10600 battles
I would have been in the mood for some scouting this week, but 50k xp on a friggin' Stuart and tier 8 repair bills + very low credit gain to drive a glorified E8? No thanks :(

BrianDuffy #47 Posted 14 January 2012 - 10:40 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7792 battles
Heinzi - there is NO comparison in my opinion between the M5 and M24; the Chaffee is just better in every way and by the time you get the top gun you can, with skill, damage nearly every tank in game. Yes, it's exceedingly hard to make a profit with it if you are as bad as me :( but, as long as I have enough credits in the bank to fund 5-6 games a day with this, really fun, tank I will continue to drive it.

Watch some WoT Chaffee vids on You-Tube for inspiration - there's a Russian player, Vecsill who has posted a few - and see what this beast CAN do.

Keep tanking

bug #48 Posted 15 January 2012 - 07:14 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26206 battles
Anyone else noticed that there are almost no more games with artys? I think I had 1 of 7 games with arty today, all but 1 was tier 8 - 10 no arty. And i got went, making repair 9500,- Horrible :/

azakow #49 Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:34 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 84887 battles
never mind

chuao #50 Posted 19 January 2012 - 06:09 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 48389 battles
This is how i understand playing with Chaffee. I consider myself an average player. Consider what a good player can do with this wonderfull piece of tank :). My favourite tank from the hole game.

http://www.mediafire...6bqtwyt06zub1ya

I have installed the folowing equipments: coated optical, vertical stabilizer and -10% loading time.

6 kills, a nice dialog with an Easy Eight driver about chaffee while we wait for the battle to start. No premium account.

bug #51 Posted 20 January 2012 - 01:27 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26206 battles
I love my chaffee, but sometimes it make me bang my head in the keyboard. I have went, coated optics and camo. I was hiding in a bush, did not see anything, so I start rolling - BAM! oneshotted by a KV 10 meters in front of me.... then a few seconds later a friendly t-50-2 comes and the area lights up like a christmasthree sprinkled with red balls - all invisible to me. What about that... lol

JoeDynamite #52 Posted 20 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

Corporal

• Banned
  • 28591 battles
M24 ?? Quite good tank with non-existing armour .

BrianDuffy #53 Posted 21 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7792 battles

M24 ?? Quite good tank with non-existing armour .

Hm... I think it's a bit better than that!

Tomlinson #54 Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Sergeant

• Player
  • 28439 battles
I'm curious to what you guys would suggest as equipment for the Chaffee. I currently have a vertical stabilizer, coated optics and a camo net mounted, but I am unsure about the camo net and wondering if I should replace it with either the improved Ventilation or binocs.
I like to play as a bush spotter as long as there is plenty of enemies and then go hunt arti and lonely tanks when the game gets into the late stages.

You want to know, what I dislike most about the Chaffe, it is the ugly upgraded turret, stock one looks much sexier

Arallaw #55 Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 28662 battles

View PostTomlinson, on 08 February 2012 - 09:41 PM, said:

I'm curious to what you guys would suggest as equipment for the Chaffee. I currently have a vertical stabilizer, coated optics and a camo net mounted, but I am unsure about the camo net and wondering if I should replace it with either the improved Ventilation or binocs.
I like to play as a bush spotter as long as there is plenty of enemies and then go hunt arti and lonely tanks when the game gets into the late stages.

You want to know, what I dislike most about the Chaffe, it is the ugly upgraded turret, stock one looks much sexier

You can go for vent if your crew got decent camo skills. I got a vertical stabilizer, coated optics and vent in my Chaffee and they works heavenly well.

BrianDuffy #56 Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:58 AM

Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 7792 battles
Tomlinson

you can do a model swap - you just replace the second turret file with the first. I think there are instructions on the Forum - in the creativity or skins section.

But try this:

Make a backup of the original Chaffee folder \World_of_Tanks\res\vehicles\american\A34_M24_Chaffee before you start just in case ;)

You will find the file Turret_02.model here:

\World_of_Tanks\res\vehicles\american\A34_M24_Chaffee\normal\lod0\

Rename that as Turret_02A.model, then make a copy Turret_01.model and rename the copied file Turret_02.model. Next time you jump in your Chaffee you should have the first turret :)

The only thing to be aware of is that only you will see the turret change, to all others they will still see the big head, the main problem with that is that you may think you are hidden sometimes because that's what it looks like on screen but your head is poking up

I think it's worth the risk.

Good luck

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #57 Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:40 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostPere_Ubu_Roi, on 09 February 2012 - 12:58 AM, said:

Tomlinson

you can do a model swap - you just replace the second turret file with the first. I think there are instructions on the Forum - in the creativity or skins section.

But try this:

Make a backup of the original Chaffee folder \World_of_Tanks\res\vehicles\american\A34_M24_Chaffee before you start just in case ;)

You will find the file Turret_02.model here:

\World_of_Tanks\res\vehicles\american\A34_M24_Chaffee\normal\lod0\

Rename that as Turret_02A.model, then make a copy Turret_01.model and rename the copied file Turret_02.model. Next time you jump in your Chaffee you should have the first turret :)

The only thing to be aware of is that only you will see the turret change, to all others they will still see the big head, the main problem with that is that you may think you are hidden sometimes because that's what it looks like on screen but your head is poking up

I think it's worth the risk.

Good luck

Modelswap is for suckers.

You never know when parts of your tank are sticking out of a bush or just above a little ridge for instance.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users