M24 Chaffee

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
56 replies to this topic

JoeDynamite #21 Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

Corporal

• Banned
  • 28615 battles
It really sucks in the new patch ...chafee is not so sharp when turning as before , its more sluggish now .

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #22 Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostRelicShadow, on 03 September 2011 - 01:21 PM, said:

Posted this on the other topic about the Chaffee since someone asked how to do it.
Basically it tells you how you can interchange the models of the first and the ##%#$%!"# second turret.
Just in case someones interested and misses it there.

Screen:
Posted Image

Pretty silly move to make... This makes it harder to see for yourself if you are well hidden or not.  <_<

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #23 Posted 24 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostFireflyDivision, on 02 September 2011 - 01:00 PM, said:

M24 Chaffee

The 76mm gun is even stronger. It can take on medium tanks of tier 6.

That isn't a very optimistic outlook. I took out a 20% IS-7 with AP.

Sepharus #24 Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:19 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 31251 battles
  • [-N4L] -N4L
I love this thing, too bad im currently at a 7x lose streak with it and getting annoyed so much that I dont even bother trying to get the 5x bonuses. Im getting a decent 800-1000 exp even on a loss and keeping as much enemys lit up as possible while harassing the bigger tanks, still to no effect it seems. Am I doing something wrong?

Attached Files

• Attached File   Chaffee.png   82.28K

apo86 #25 Posted 31 December 2011 - 01:56 AM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 7093 battles
Simply amazing.
After 20 battles 65% win, 35 kills, 64 spotted, 22.7k damage, 1121 avg. exp.
I know, it's only 20 battles and I'm probably still in the "noob matchmaking phase" where the MM puts me in lower tier battles.
Stats will probably get more realistic (=lower) over time. But it's so awesome I just wanted to share.
Started fully upgraded, my 3rd match gave me a top gun and almost 2.3k exp. Since then I had 2 other battles over 2k exp and 3 pretty close by. Also, almost 1200exp on a loss... It feels much easier to get high exp than with other tanks.

And it's so much fun. Starting with careful scouting, trying not to get spotted and sneaking some shots into the enemies flank while he's not looking. When the map is a little cleared up go into berserker mode and circle kill everything.
It's like a small, low-hp Patton on steroids.

NoRealNick #26 Posted 01 January 2012 - 08:17 PM

Private

• Player
  • 13127 battles
I had some thoughts about the M24 and the E8, and after a while i must admit that with the M24 in the game for me the E8 is not playable anymore.

why do i have these thoughts?
mostly because the M24 is not nearly as nimble as the T50s or the Vk2801, and the E8 is only good in games were he is one of the highest tanks, in most other games he is to slow to outflank the enemy.

Although both tanks are different classes and tiers, they will get into the same randomgames.
on the one side the E8 has more hp and amor, but the amor is so thin, that his makes in 99% no difference. On the other side, the M25 has higher topspeed, turningspeed and acceleration als well as a better gun. It also can have the vertical stabilicier and is a much smaller tank and its viewrange is 40m higher.

Now i m playing the M24 a bit like an E8 and i must say, for me it works.

Warheart1992 #27 Posted 02 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 13909 battles
Have atm 65 games and 49 kills , and what can I say about this little wonder tank ....:D  .If you can use it like its meant to be , like a reconaisance tank ( scouting using the long view range , while trying to harass enemy tanks going to take position ) you can simply do almost everything you like in the match as long as you are not carried away and think its a fast med . Especially if you wait for enemy team to spread then you can easily direct your arty, hunt their arty down and kill any weak tank in your way, using its zero bleed off in terms of speed while turning .I have camo net ,binoculars and vert stab and so far this combination works :rolleyes:

rasfo #28 Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:05 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 34946 battles
  • [SOAP] SOAP
recently i experienced 2 teamkills. Ppl are expecting when they see me in chaffe that i will drive to front line scout like t-50-2. When there is map like arctic region with minimal cover and I am at back they shoot me  :(

bug #29 Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:35 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26206 battles
Must say that I am a tad dissappointed so far.

Still have not researched the last turret and gun, but i have the last engine and tracks. I got this tank after patch 7, whitch by the way nerfed m5 with howitzer imo.
As scout the m5 did (at least) just as good, even with less vision range and other shortcomings.
M5 is much better at hiding. I now find that when I am hiding in bushes, even KVs (!) can sneak up on me and I dont see them before they are just meters away. (Not only KVs, but still, once a KV...)

I find that the chaffee spawn in games with less arty and more tier 10 heavies than any other tank I have. It dont make a ton of cash, and the 8500 cost to repair this tank is ridicoulus. Its best engine makes the Chaffee fast, but still I am outrun by some tanks, like pzIII/IV, m7 and others - tanks that also blow the chaffe to pieces if encountered.
It has a good stock gun that do damage to arty and small tanks, I even killed a tiger 2 with it (took its last % with an ass-shot), but it is nothing you want to use on the frontline in tier 8-10 games.

I just cant seem to find the right way to use this tank, I grinded the m5 to get a nice scout-machine (bummer), but are spotted more often than I am spotting others, even with optics and binoculars, I have camo as well. I have not yet 100% crew, that is. I have also tried to use chaffee as I use my pershing, but get killed as soon as I am detected (first shot I make) unless I run. I think it excels when meeting light tanks, it is nice to kill t-50-2 in this little tank.
I think m5 with howitzer is better at hunting arty and scouting, and chaffe is better as "counter-scouting" and...?

IJsBlok #30 Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:02 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 9354 battles

View Postbug, on 03 January 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

Must say that I am a tad dissappointed so far.

Still have not researched the last turret and gun, but i have the last engine and tracks. I got this tank after patch 7, whitch by the way nerfed m5 with howitzer imo.
As scout the m5 did (at least) just as good, even with less vision range and other shortcomings.
M5 is much better at hiding. I now find that when I am hiding in bushes, even KVs (!) can sneak up on me and I dont see them before they are just meters away. (Not only KVs, but still, once a KV...)

I find that the chaffee spawn in games with less arty and more tier 10 heavies than any other tank I have. It dont make a ton of cash, and the 8500 cost to repair this tank is ridicoulus. Its best engine makes the Chaffee fast, but still I am outrun by some tanks, like pzIII/IV, m7 and others - tanks that also blow the chaffe to pieces if encountered.
It has a good stock gun that do damage to arty and small tanks, I even killed a tiger 2 with it (took its last % with an ass-shot), but it is nothing you want to use on the frontline in tier 8-10 games.

I just cant seem to find the right way to use this tank, I grinded the m5 to get a nice scout-machine (bummer), but are spotted more often than I am spotting others, even with optics and binoculars, I have camo as well. I have not yet 100% crew, that is. I have also tried to use chaffee as I use my pershing, but get killed as soon as I am detected (first shot I make) unless I run. I think it excels when meeting light tanks, it is nice to kill t-50-2 in this little tank.
I think m5 with howitzer is better at hunting arty and scouting, and chaffe is better as "counter-scouting" and...?

I have the same problem, i use bino, coated and camo to have max viewrange/spotting ability but somehow the enemy spots me first most of the time :( even when camo is active behind a bush!

bug #31 Posted 03 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 26206 battles
Well. I tried the big ugly turret and gun now. I think I am going to sell this tank and rather try russian light tanks. The big turret made the chaffee much slower, I find it hard to get out of danger when spotted, and new gun is not good enough to save me. No point in ekstra visibility range with new turret, (if it works at all?) as I mostly am spawning in tier 9 and 10 games, and they have even better spotting abilities than me in my chaffee. Sorry, you must be much better players than me since you get this to work. I feel this is a fast, thin skinned tier 4 medium, with a small gun. Not a tier 5 light tank.

R1CHB #32 Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:13 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14826 battles
Worst tank of its type in the game by a mile. Gun is fairly good but thats it (and not much point because once detected its dead). Complete waste of time getting it. M5 is better, in fact all other tier 4 scouts are better, the other tier 5 scouts like T50-2, VK2801 are in a completely different league.

As if the tank on its own being terrible isnt enough, WG also decided to make it nigh on impossible to make a single credit with this heap, doesnt matter what you do, scout, cap, defend, damage, kill even. It hardly ever makes any money even on premium. A tier 5 that cant make money? Nice one. think of it as a T54 but without the ability to actually do anything useful most of the time.

Chaffee completely sucks.

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #33 Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostR1CHB, on 03 January 2012 - 03:13 PM, said:

Worst tank of its type in the game by a mile. Gun is fairly good but thats it (and not much point because once detected its dead). Complete waste of time getting it. M5 is better, in fact all other tier 4 scouts are better, the other tier 5 scouts like T50-2, VK2801 are in a completely different league.

As if the tank on its own being terrible isnt enough, WG also decided to make it nigh on impossible to make a single credit with this heap, doesnt matter what you do, scout, cap, defend, damage, kill even. It hardly ever makes any money even on premium. A tier 5 that cant make money? Nice one. think of it as a T54 but without the ability to actually do anything useful most of the time.

Chaffee completely sucks.

Having only 38 battles in the Chaffee makes your statement a silly one.
Also, you don't even have a t-50-2...

<_<

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clearly, in my hands, the Chaffee is the best of the 3 new Tier 5 Lights. Beating the Tier 4's hands down, pants down...

P.S.

Posted Image

Faitlhauser #34 Posted 04 January 2012 - 11:21 AM

Private

• Clan Diplomat
  • 13641 battles

View PostBlackeon, on 22 December 2011 - 06:38 PM, said:

Nice tank but the earn is rubbish, 1,000 xp earned (5K with special) in my last battle and barely made a profit. Killed three tanks, spotted 3 damaged 2. Earn is rubbish!!!!

I dont think so ;)

Posted ImagePosted Image  First Victory 2x XP

Posted Imagehttp://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5573/shot028s.th.jpg First Victory 5x XP
:Smile-playing:

R1CHB #35 Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14826 battles

View PostCostarring, on 04 January 2012 - 10:38 AM, said:

Having only 38 battles in the Chaffee makes your statement a silly one.
Also, you don't even have a t-50-2...

<_<

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Clearly, in my hands, the Chaffee is the best of the 3 new Tier 5 Lights. Beating the Tier 4's hands down, pants down...

P.S.

Posted Image

38 battles in an Elite chaffee is more than enough to come to the conclusion its terrible.
Not having a T50-2 is not a pre-requisite to realise its way better than the chaffee.. I met them enough times in my chaffee to work that one out (and also in the VK2801)
use some sense.

as for your screen shot..
u managed to get a shot off at an arty and a t50-2 and the Object704, and stole the kill no the IS7 (because even the backdraft from that tank would rip the chaffee to shreds if it had bothered to take an interest in you), and thats youre claim to it awesomeness???

anonym_kL7qtn3e52MB #36 Posted 04 January 2012 - 04:18 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 0 battles

View PostR1CHB, on 04 January 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

38 battles in an Elite chaffee is more than enough to come to the conclusion its terrible.
Not having a T50-2 is not a pre-requisite to realise its way better than the chaffee.. I met them enough times in my chaffee to work that one out (and also in the VK2801)
use some sense.

u managed to get a shot off at an arty and a t50-2 and the Object704, and stole the kill no the IS7 (because even the backdraft from that tank would rip the chaffee to shreds if it had bothered to take an interest in you), and thats youre claim to it awesomeness???

You claim without testing...

apo86 #37 Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:16 PM

Corporal

• Beta Tester
  • 7093 battles

View PostR1CHB, on 04 January 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Look at FaFnIrDE's screenshots, if Costarring's are not awesome enough for you.
Or just look at this topic.

R1CHB #38 Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:58 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14826 battles
Ive played well over 6000 games, im more than capable of judging the chaffee in 38.

Chaffee has quite a good gun, but extremely poor armour to be able to use it much, despite having little armour (as youd expect with a scout tank) it still lacks the speed or agility of other tier 4 and 5 scouts, top speed is adequate, its the acceleration thats the problem. That frankly stupid tall turret is another weakness as it makes it harder to sit undected in smaller bushes.]

Glad some people clearly like it, but imo its awful and a complete waste of my time and credits getting it.

twiwlek #39 Posted 05 January 2012 - 11:12 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Beta Tester
  • 18671 battles
Well lets make one thing clear. Chaffee is not a scout. If you use it in such role then its waste. Chaffee is better and faster (lighter armored) version of M10 which is TD. So TD with ability to move very fast from position to position, flanking enemy, shooting when he does not pay attention to you. You never should attack alone, you never should charge (unles someone is alone and u can circle around him).
Many ppl understimate chaffe and it can kill almost every HT 1 on 1 (circle of death) and if enemy ignores you (he is busy with someone else) its a score. Also casue of high speed its much easier to catch TDs from side, block him and kill him.
Its the best tank for fun (and I had most of tanks in garage) but its not money maker. If you dont like to play with it its ok. Not everyone like they way it should be played. But dont say tank is bad just casue u dont know or dont like to play with it. In good hands its deadly as any other tank.

R1CHB #40 Posted 05 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 14826 battles
lol at the idiots neg rep for a perfectly resonable previous statement.. you are all heros. </sarcasm>

twiwlek, fair point, I will give it another try (when i have another 500k spare to buy it back again).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users