Why can't users sort tanks in the garage as they wish?

development user interface small improvements

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

Nebulosa #1 Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 39246 battles
  • [-LOA-] -LOA-

Hey all,

I have brought this up in the past, and I am still wondering: Why does World of Tanks only provide the user with one way to sort their tanks in the garage? You can assign your tanks to primary roles. You can show or not show secondary tanks.

This system works reasonably well as long as you have a handful of tanks. For anyone keeping a number over, say, 20, it gets awkward rapidly. Of course people will mention that mods can alleviate the problem, but this is beside the point - in my opinion, the garage interface is just so central to the game that it should not have to be modded to be more user-friendly.

Is it that this idea of sorting tanks was natural at a time when everyone only had three or four tanks and even having 15 was inconceivable, so that it just stuck as a remnant of those times?

Is there some underlying technical reason, maybe the structure of the database making it impossible to sort tanks in a more flexible way?

Or is it maybe just so that the number of people who own so many tanks that the interace gets really clumsy is smaller than I think so it's not worth it? (Although, those would likely be those who pay most of all...)

Anyway, most people probably won't bother about this at all, and I am sure this thread, if it gets any answer, will get its share of "no, fix arty/MM/maps" instead answers. But I play may tanks in a certain order every day: I have the three tanks I grind every day, then I play through the primary tanks, and then I play whichever premium comes to mind. It would be lovely if I could just order them in the way I want them to play. It shouldn't really take a lot of effort to bring about a, let's say more intuitive access to tanks, I would think.

Thanks for reading and any thoughts.

killa23 #2 Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:48 AM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16967 battles
  • [RITA] RITA

mods.

nice -4. this is why the wot forums are so [Edited].

Edited by killa23, 15 January 2016 - 05:04 PM.

adameitas #3 Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:49 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 76505 battles

hey,

i have very similar thoughts. I have many tanks around 80 i think. Many of them r low/mid tier prems that i dont play. I wish there were something like box in Diablo 2 where u can put things/tanks u dont use. Or they could let players mark tanks u want to hide. Also they could let primary tanks mark by tiers not only by nations. All that scrolling really annoys and since i have very weak pc i stay away from all mods. But all in all it isnt the main problem of this game so i guess it isnt in wg primary list:)

L0ddy #4 Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:56 AM

Major

• Player
  • 86275 battles

tank carousel i think it's called, check out the mod section, unsure if there are any others.

there are a few more filter options for those with a large fleet of tanks & stats of each tank can be displayed over the icon.

:)

edit:

negrep?  that's what you get for being helpful.

Edited by L0ddy, 15 January 2016 - 04:57 PM.

Mr_Deo #5 Posted 15 January 2016 - 08:57 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 46774 battles
  • [WW3] WW3

This was the reason I moved to XVM.  The Carousel.

There used to be a few stand alone Carousel mods, but either they have gone away or I just fail at finding them.

Be glad it is as good as it is, the WoWP stock carousel is worse than WoT!

I do find it odd that they don't allow players a few more options in stock mode.. Like a filter that says I-IV, V-VII, VIII-X.

I have 96 tanks so a vanilla client for me is just a pain.

Automatic crew switching is another thing that WG should add in by default.  Such a simple feature removes so much aggro.  AutoTelescope mod is something else that I wish the vanilla client had, but I guess I can understand why they don't have that one.

In WoWP you have to send crew to barracks, then swap planes, then pick up new crew... Something that takes 2 seconds in WoT becomes closer to 2 mins in WoWP (there seems to be a huge server lag when I move crew or change planes)...

250swb #6 Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:06 AM

Major General

• Player
  • 23246 battles
  • [WJDE] WJDE
I don't like the idea of mods, but the OP does have a good point. I also make a mental list of those I'm going to concentrate on in a session, maybe TD's, maybe heavies, plus my regulars. But scrolling along the line all too often I see a tank I haven't played for a while, remember through a gold glow filter a great battle I'd had with it, and the 'system' suddenly goes to heck.

Unknown_Lifeform #7 Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:17 AM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 28054 battles
Yes, the existing garage UI is just bad and misses out some surprisingly obvious things. The only reason I can think of for it is that WG don't want to complicate the UI for new players and think anyone with enough tanks for it to be an issue will know how to install a mod. I still don't see why they can't have customisation options available in the settings menu though.

Balc0ra #8 Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 79613 battles
  • [WALL] WALL
World of warships did it right, why can't WOT do the same thing? They have an option for smaller icons creating more rows. The filter options are way better. In WOT or any wot garage mod you can only select one nation and tank type at a time, but multiple tank tiers. In WOWS you can filter on tier 4 to 6 and have only US and Jap show and only DD and BB's for instance. And show premium and elite ships for instance, or ships that can do missions. The multiple options filter is rather nice. And I wish WG did toss that over to WOT to.

cellaman7 #9 Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:26 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 34760 battles
I just use XVM. If a platoon mate wants to play a tier 7 I can quickly select tier 7 in my garage and pick a tank. I can pick a nation or even just premium tanks. Makes life very easy.

Nebulosa #10 Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:00 PM

Warrant Officer

• Beta Tester
  • 39246 battles
  • [-LOA-] -LOA-

Thanks for the replies. It was especially interesting to hear that World of Warships already had a better implemented UI, so it's even more puzzling. Certainly, it's not a top priority to do this, but then again, it's not like World of Tank has only one programmer, and this can't be a huge thing. In my experience with games, little tweaks here and there are just as important as big in-game improvements. None should be missed.

My favourite simple method would probably be to just have the garage slots visibly numbered (they must be numbered already): So you can just right-click on a tank, have a selection "move the tank to garage slot x", and you have it where you want it. Add some additional filtering, and there you go).

As a sidenote:

View Postkilla23, on 15 January 2016 - 08:48 AM, said:

mods.

nice -4. this is why the wot forums are so [Edited].

You posted one word. This is lazy posting.

Your comment was stating the obvious. This was unnecessary.

Your comment showed that you hadn't even read my post, for I had mentioned that this about the user-interface provided by WG, and bringing up mods is obviously irrelevant.

It's people who do not read, make irrelevant comments that contribute nothing and then think they actually did something smart that make the forum so [Edited], not the people who rightfully downvote their posts.

Hagbardur #11 Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:03 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 71938 battles
  • [SKIL1] SKIL1

Carousel mod:

• You can send tanks to Reserve - they will only show up if you select the Reserve filter (useful for low tier premium tanks if you don't want to sell them)
  • You can filter by tier/nation/class
  • You can filter by Premium tanks
  • You can show only tanks you have marked as Primary (forgot wording) - with the above filters

_Dunc_ #12 Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:04 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 39108 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
I'd like this too, but only because IS-2, IS-6, IS-3, IS-5, IS-7, IS-4 causes my OCD to be extremely unhappy.

Balc0ra #13 Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:06 AM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 79613 battles
  • [WALL] WALL

View PostNebulosa, on 15 January 2016 - 11:00 PM, said:

My favourite simple method would probably be to just have the garage slots visibly numbered (they must be numbered already): So you can just right-click on a tank, have a selection "move the tank to garage slot x", and you have it where you want it. Add some additional filtering, and there you go).

Oh I've wanted this for ages. Nations are sorted by fav and tank type and then tier. Sorting them yourself in a way that your fav tanks are on the far left, and your least played or used tanks are on the far right etc and not going by nation even. Just by slot numbers. Sure you can have your favorites on the far right, but you can't sort those again. Or even sorting after most played, last played or least played just out of interest.

Edited by Balc0ra, 16 January 2016 - 02:07 AM.

PowJay #14 Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 44064 battles

I don't even know what mod I have as it is packaged with ProMod, but it serves well enough. I have several tanks in "Reserve" including all of my tier I and IIs (Prem gift tanks) and vehicles that are so painful to play that I only want to bring them out on x3/x5 events. There are other useful options to filter the tanks as well, but "Reserve" is the one I make the most use of.

All together- with whatever is available in vanilla WoT- I use- Primary option for all of my keepers and the rest are my grinders. Type filter for when I am playing missions or PMs and want to display any relevant tanks only. Tier filter for the same reason or when I simply want to play some higher tiers while I have a Premium account. I may use the Country filter if there is a special on for that country, but that is rare.

More options than this might be nice, but I feel that this is enough for me. Vanilla WoT options, however, are not completely adequate for my needs.

demon_tank #15 Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:30 AM

Captain

• Player
  • 30827 battles
  • [IDUNO] IDUNO

WG logic is "there are mods that so this so we dont need to implement it".

And when you report a bug/problem wg be like "its because you use mods , sorry we cant help you".

They are focusing on more important things like havok i guess...

gpalsson #16 Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

General

• Player
  • 24508 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Wg knows it brings more money in to let modders handle the idiotic terrible shitty interface so they can spend time buffing is3,is7,make new clones of Russian tanks and making more corridor maps.

killa23 #17 Posted 16 January 2016 - 02:59 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 16967 battles
  • [RITA] RITA

View PostNebulosa, on 15 January 2016 - 10:00 PM, said:

You posted one word. This is lazy posting.

Your comment was stating the obvious. This was unnecessary.

Your comment showed that you hadn't even read my post, for I had mentioned that this about the user-interface provided by WG, and bringing up mods is obviously irrelevant.

It's people who do not read, make irrelevant comments that contribute nothing and then think they actually did something smart that make the forum so [Edited], not the people who rightfully downvote their posts.

"Your comment was stating the obvious" What about the others that said carousel mod bla bla bla? I did read it, You said there are mods for that already so I wasn't gonna put "there are mods for this etc etc" i just put 1 word, simple answer.

Napad24356 #18 Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:28 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 48602 battles
  • [ZUM] ZUM

A whole year has passed, and after a few patches the problem remains :(

Their filter option is great, but there is no possibility for sorting yet...

I need just basic sorting options by tier and nation.

I hope WG is reading this

basin79 #19 Posted 29 December 2016 - 03:36 PM

General

• Player
  • 15461 battles

View PostNapad24356, on 29 December 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

I'm obviously missing something. I was in my garage yesterday sorting out equipment and crew for my new ranks and the filters do everything you could want. All nations. All types. All tiers. Prem etcetera. What else is needed?

I want to find my SU 122 44. One click on the Russian flag. One click on the TD filter. Another click on tier and one more on prem. Literally 2 seconds to do in game.

RaptorAbt #20 Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:23 AM

Warrant Officer

• Clan Commander
  • 45534 battles
  • [BEXF] BEXF

View PostNapad24356, on 29 December 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

You have been able to "sort out" your garage for months on WoT.......... by using the "vanilla" filter system (it came to WoT after WoWs).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users