Jump to content


AW fail, wot I am back.


  • Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Unknown_Lifeform #101 Posted 08 March 2016 - 01:24 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 27442 battles
  • 507
  • Member since:
    12-11-2012

View Postlemthepimpmeard, on 07 March 2016 - 04:09 PM, said:

The forum is common to both EU and NA and it's a hotbed of whining.

 

What would that be like, can you imagine? :P

 

Rostklump is right, you don't have to buy the chinese premium to access the new line, doing it just gives you insta-access to tempt those who must have the new toys right now into parting with their cash. There was some whining that the requirements were too steep but I got through 16% of it in 1 session playing mostly low tier TD (i.e. not really a class that does large damage in packs).

 

I did find the PvE content got a little stale after a while. I think I'll stick to playing low tier PvP as an occasional change from WoT and WoWS.



LordRoyh #102 Posted 08 March 2016 - 02:17 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 30718 battles
  • 825
  • [MOP] MOP
  • Member since:
    07-28-2011

View PostUnknown_Lifeform, on 08 March 2016 - 02:24 AM, said:

Rostklump is right, you don't have to buy the chinese premium to access the new line, doing it just gives you insta-access to tempt those who must have the new toys right now into parting with their cash. There was some whining that the requirements were too steep but I got through 16% of it in 1 session playing mostly low tier TD (i.e. not really a class that does large damage in packs).

 

It bears to mention that before the chinese tech tree, they held an event where everyone could win 3000 gold by playing 5 games on 6 days each. As the chinese premium costs 1500 gold, not unlocking it that way is conscious choice.



IAmDracoTheDragon #103 Posted 08 March 2016 - 03:46 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 3576 battles
  • 643
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    04-11-2015

View PostGrumblingGrenade, on 07 March 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

 

Incidentally, I haven't encountered anything of the sort in AW - I think that the AW player-base, in general, is much nicer and less hostile than our one in WoT. As a member of the AW forum Community myself, I know that a large goal of theirs, (or ours, I suppose, depending on how you look at it), it not to follow in WoT's footsteps, and to try to be one of the best, friendliest on-line Communities there is. I would imagine that a lot of AW players also feel this way, regardless of whether they visit the forums or not, and aim to avoid following the same path that has lead many other game Communities to a notoriety for toxicity and hostility. All-in-all, across the entire player-base, this scheme is destined to failure, but the forum Community, as a whole, certainly are trying, and I commend them for that.

 

There's no reason why we cannot do the same. I see much less flaming and hatred on the AW forums than I do here, and even though I love this Community, and know that there are some spectacular people who are a part of it, we could do a lot better when it comes to providing a friendly atmosphere. I'm a big fan of Gandhi's quote: "Be the change that you wish to see in the world..." - I'm relatively sure that it's what's "On my mind" at the moment - and therefore, I'm aiming to always have a positive attitude and refrain from insults and denigration. If we all did this, then the forum would be a much nicer place, and that's what the guys over on the AW one are trying to do. Granted, it isn't working out all that best, as their metaphysical "Forum Hierarchy" is very brutal and oppressive, and sometimes towards the OE staff, but I know that a number of forum users over there really are trying not to follow in the WoT player-base's footsteps.

 

Yea, I did used to frequent the AW forums and I was surprised at how friendly overall the atmosphere was (however there were a lot of whining comments, name calling and general bad behaviour from time to time so it was by no means golden). However it is the same with quite a lot of games with toxic communities, even DOTA II's forum has a friendly atmosphere.

Saror #104 Posted 25 March 2016 - 09:18 PM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 10381 battles
  • 162
  • Member since:
    04-08-2011

View Postgpalsson, on 05 March 2016 - 03:23 PM, said:

Well, tbh it still seems too much of World of MBTs, even with the latest nerf to back armor of MBTs.

It's sad really.

 

You keep going on and on about that. You must be really hot for arty or something. Well actually, MBTs is the mainstay of armored warfare and should be the strongest overall. At any rate, id rather play world of MBTs than world of arty fantasy ( read WoT ). 



Jigabachi #105 Posted 25 March 2016 - 10:01 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17948 battles
  • 20,935
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View PostSaror, on 25 March 2016 - 09:18 PM, said:

Well actually, MBTs is the mainstay of armored warfare and should be the strongest overall.

Not in a multiplayergame.



gpalsson #106 Posted 25 March 2016 - 11:36 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostSaror, on 25 March 2016 - 08:18 PM, said:

 

You keep going on and on about that. You must be really hot for arty or something. Well actually, MBTs is the mainstay of armored warfare and should be the strongest overall. At any rate, id rather play world of MBTs than world of arty fantasy ( read WoT ). 

I don't have any love for arty, and no, mbt shouldn't beat everything else. Why is that so hard to understand for you people?

Any other questions? 


Edited by gpalsson, 25 March 2016 - 11:38 PM.


ZeeAa #107 Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:06 AM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 27972 battles
  • 1,037
  • Member since:
    05-02-2013
I can perfectly play any class in AW. Just because MBTs are popular doesn't mean others are less useful or nice. I think it's more like meme just like "russian bias" is a meme in WoT.

gpalsson #108 Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:20 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostZeeAa, on 25 March 2016 - 11:06 PM, said:

I can perfectly play any class in AW. 

 

I suspect we have different opinions on what it means to play and have fun.

 

Pressing battle a number of times isn't what I want. I can perfectly press battle too, I just have more fun doing that in WoT because as idiotic as the balance in WoT is, it is still batter than in AW.



Obsessive_Compulsive #109 Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:34 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 28743 battles
  • 8,481
  • Member since:
    09-09-2014
AW is incredibly boring. there is not enough variety in the vehicle clases. you either pew pew or you boom boom or you neeeeeooooow kablamo! wichever you chose you zippedy doo da day dangle doo all the way! Then you hit high tiers and some tanks are simply unable to be hurt if your in the wrong vehicle. that does not happen in high tiers in WOT. there are allways options!

Jigabachi #110 Posted 26 March 2016 - 06:39 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17948 battles
  • 20,935
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View PostConor_Notorious_McGregor, on 26 March 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

AW is incredibly boring. there is not enough variety in the vehicle clases. you either pew pew or you boom boom or you neeeeeooooow kablamo! wichever you chose you zippedy doo da day dangle doo all the way! Then you hit high tiers and some tanks are simply unable to be hurt if your in the wrong vehicle. that does not happen in high tiers in WOT. there are allways options!

To be fair: It has MUCH more variation than WoT, especially concerning the different classes. For me, it just doesn't have enough of it to motivate me to start ANOTHER long and boring grindinggame.



gpalsson #111 Posted 26 March 2016 - 07:29 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostJigabachi, on 26 March 2016 - 05:39 PM, said:

To be fair: It has MUCH more variation than WoT, especially concerning the different classes. For me, it just doesn't have enough of it to motivate me to start ANOTHER long and boring grindinggame.

 

I don't agree.

This is from some time ago, and stuff has happened since, but this is how it was:

 

TDs have low pen high DPM, high mobility.

Arty is just arty.

LTs are crap/slightly different versions of TDs.

AFVs are scouts (best developed class IMO)

 

MBTs are fast, heavily armored, biggest guns "can do it all" tanks that makes everything except AFVs obsolete.

 

If you think variety is having one class making everything else obsolete, I guess you are right.

If you look at the queue, ~70% of the tanks will be MBTs.

Very varied.



Jigabachi #112 Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:00 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 17948 battles
  • 20,935
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U
  • Member since:
    08-12-2011

View Postgpalsson, on 26 March 2016 - 07:29 PM, said:

If you think variety is having one class making everything else obsolete, I guess you are right.

If you look at the queue, ~70% of the tanks will be MBTs.

Very varied.

Ok... no idea about the in-depth balance. I only tested the game last year for a few days...

Anyway. I really liked how the vehicles had different active or passive abilities, e.g. AFVs can mark a target and TDs can... no idea what it was. That's a bit more interesting than just having slightly different stats, like we have in WoT.



gpalsson #113 Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:28 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostJigabachi, on 26 March 2016 - 07:00 PM, said:

Ok... no idea about the in-depth balance. I only tested the game last year for a few days...

Anyway. I really liked how the vehicles had different active or passive abilities, e.g. AFVs can mark a target and TDs can... no idea what it was. That's a bit more interesting than just having slightly different stats, like we have in WoT.

 

Agreed, if they had bothered balancing it.

 

AFVs have a really nice ability, well thought out and it would have been perfect had it not been really bugged so the timer reset all the time.



breeeze #114 Posted 26 March 2016 - 09:02 PM

    Warrant Officer

  • Player
  • 34743 battles
  • 622
  • [S4] S4
  • Member since:
    03-11-2014

View Postgpalsson, on 23 January 2016 - 02:13 PM, said:

Well I wouldn't actually mind that at all, if only they had improved in WoT. Sadly they didn't.

1) Shot delay is much worse than ghost shells. Bad decision.

2) Arty is still retarded, no matter what. Bad decision.

3) MBT's in higher tiers makes everything else obsolete. Bad balancing.

4) PvE is currently poorly implemented and boring.

5) A lot of what makes WoT fun, like angling you tank to maximize armor and armor vs environment is gone in AW, because the penetration values vs armor values are poorly thought out. Maybe it is realistic or some crap, but I don't give a fvck. It's also a lot more boring. MBT's have tiny weakspots on the front, with almost everything being impenetrable. TD's penning MBTs? LOLNOPE. If an MBT turns slightly, everyone will pen it's side. But only MBTs and TDs. Because AFVs, they won't even be able to pen the sides.

6) Idiotic shitty spotting system, catering for the already pampered MBT players who go to the forum depring "BUT MBTs IN REAL LIFE MASTERRACE, MUST ALSO BE IN GAME" and seemingly Obsidian also thinks this is the way it should be.

 

Regarding the MBTs...for those who have not tried AW, I can try to explain it in WoT terms.

Think about an O-I in WoT. Tiny weakspot. Then consider you have 120 pen and no premium shells. Then consider that all heavies are like that, only they are faster, turns better although their alpha is lower.

That's how they made almost ALL higher tiered MBT's in AW. It's just retarded.

 

1) Can't comment on that because I haven't really experienced it. They are aware of it though and working on it.

2) Arty is still arty, but it is a billion times better than WoT arty. No stupid high alpha, no module rape, no shooting tanks on the move, warnings, working conter battery etc.

3) [edited]up by OE that has already partially been corrected and is getting improved with every patch

4) Your personal opinion and you're pretty alone with it

5) AW requires a slightly different skillset compared to WoT, but it is no less skill based. If you don't like that, fair enough.

6) That is complete [edited]. The one class that has superior viewrange in AW are AFVs, in WoT everything just has 400m viewrange. The camo system is more sophisticated and reacts more dynamically to moving and shooting, negative camo is a great addition and there is no spotting delay, one of the infuriating mechanics of WoT.

 

You also seem to have conveniently forgotten all the things they do much better, no shitty +2 MM, no p2w gold ammo, maps that actually allow for vision play, no blatantly OP and UP tanks that get ignored for years, much better damage mechanics (bonus for crits, reduced damage on hatches etc), hugely improved accuracy, more varied equipment choices, less shitty stock tanks, I could go on for pages. AW is far from perfect but its just ridiculous how people just ignore all the problems WoT has and take a dump on AW whenever they can.



gpalsson #115 Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:05 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View Postbreeeze, on 26 March 2016 - 08:02 PM, said:

 

1) Can't comment on that because I haven't really experienced it. They are aware of it though and working on it.

2) Arty is still arty, but it is a billion times better than WoT arty. No stupid high alpha, no module rape, no shooting tanks on the move, warnings, working conter battery etc.

3) [edited]up by OE that has already partially been corrected and is getting improved with every patch

4) Your personal opinion and you're pretty alone with it

5) AW requires a slightly different skillset compared to WoT, but it is no less skill based. If you don't like that, fair enough.

6) That is complete [edited]. The one class that has superior viewrange in AW are AFVs, in WoT everything just has 400m viewrange. The camo system is more sophisticated and reacts more dynamically to moving and shooting, negative camo is a great addition and there is no spotting delay, one of the infuriating mechanics of WoT.

 

You also seem to have conveniently forgotten all the things they do much better, no shitty +2 MM, no p2w gold ammo, maps that actually allow for vision play, no blatantly OP and UP tanks that get ignored for years, much better damage mechanics (bonus for crits, reduced damage on hatches etc), hugely improved accuracy, more varied equipment choices, less shitty stock tanks, I could go on for pages. AW is far from perfect but its just ridiculous how people just ignore all the problems WoT has and take a dump on AW whenever they can.

 

I didn't forget where WoT is bad, but I left it out on purpose as I have been saying that in many other threads and since this was a thread about how bad WoT is, I didn't see any point in repeating what is stated in pretty much every whine thread on this forum once again.

 

I like the choices of ammo in AW much more, and +1 tiering would be great in WoT, although in AW it makes it a bit bland because there aren't many tanks yet but it will be sorted out eventually.

Having much increased accuracy however, makes no difference considering how weakspots are also much smaller, so you aren't right about that part.

RNG is still present - now it is just about shooting the right pixel instead of hoping the shot hits in the middle.

 

Besides, I am not alone in thinking that PvE is boring. A lot of the players I played with thought the same.

It might be different now, afterall it has been quite some time since this thread was started, and even longer since I played AW.

 

I can't comment a lot on the dynamic camo changes, I played before that was implemented, but before it was - the camo system was utterly stupid. As soon as you shot in anything, you got spotted  because of the fear of camo sniping. That meant that if you hit anything, you would be partial lit by the thing you hit. It also would completely remove all camo from your tank so if you aren't close to renderrange, you would be instantly spotted no matter how much camo your tank had.

This means less if you are an MBT, and a lot when you are anything else - and it didn't work well. In fact, it worked so badly that I decided to stop trying. It was one of the main reasons I stopped playing.

 

Arty is still a huge problem in high tiers, and just because they managed to make it slightly less of a clusterfvck than WoT doesn't mean it isn't really bad. They do work well in low tiers however.

 

I can't comment on MBTs being masterrace recently, I have just noted that in the last few patchnotes the only thing that got changed was that high tiered MBTs not aren't completely invulnerably to AFVs from the back anymore. Great. 

 

If they managed to fix TDs and LT's being inferior to everything else - great.  I didn't read about it, and last time I saw the queue in AW it was still almost only MBTs - so something is still not working properly balance wise.


Edited by gpalsson, 26 March 2016 - 11:08 PM.


Flustered_Ferret #116 Posted 28 March 2016 - 07:59 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 1365 battles
  • 1,475
  • Member since:
    11-08-2015

Just had a short session on AW and was confronted by their latest horror. Seriously, we complain about WG for creating corridor maps, but I think Obsidian just took it to a whole new level.

 

I give you Highwalls (please direct your attention to the minimap)...

 

Oh and a few battles later...Highwalls at Twilight / Night (nice headlight effects)

 



elFred #117 Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:48 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 24043 battles
  • 4,143
  • [BIMA] BIMA
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

View Postgpalsson, on 26 March 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

 

I suspect we have different opinions on what it means to play and have fun.

 

Pressing battle a number of times isn't what I want. I can perfectly press battle too, I just have more fun doing that in WoT because as idiotic as the balance in WoT is, it is still batter than in AW.

 

You're perhaps not playing the right tanks :)

 

I'm still in AW because of the lovely tiny XM800 I almost gave up T9 games because of pixel hunting and some toxic player I did run into several times.

 

@Flustered_Ferret I did 2k spot damages and 1K on this map with the XM800 , it's a bit less corridor than you think but with a swingfire it's likely a pain to play on this map.

 

 


Edited by elFred, 28 March 2016 - 11:48 PM.


gpalsson #118 Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:49 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostelFred, on 28 March 2016 - 10:48 PM, said:

 

You're perhaps not playing the right tanks :)

 

I'm still in AW because of the lovely tiny XM800 I almost gave up T9 games because of pixel hunting and some toxic player I did run into several times.

 

@Flustered_Ferret I did 2k spot damages and 1K on this map with the XM800 , it's a bit less corridor than you think but with a swingfire it's likely a pain to play on this map.

 

 

I love my low tier AFVs too, but as soon as you get to about tier 7 you start to realize just how stupid the "balance" is.

That is my main objection to AW. It isn't balanced at all.

In lower tiers, MBTs and arty are quite well balanced, and TDs and LT's have an actual role.



elFred #119 Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:12 AM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 24043 battles
  • 4,143
  • [BIMA] BIMA
  • Member since:
    06-11-2012

You're right ,for me past T7 the gameplay (in PvP) is mehhh ,I say past T7 cause I'm in love with my centauro. 

 

I'm thrilled by the end game rush you can do with this beast (expect to loose some hp btw ) nothing like seeing tears and fear in the optic of anything you rush :D


Edited by elFred, 29 March 2016 - 11:12 AM.


Warmommy #120 Posted 29 March 2016 - 11:15 AM

    Private

  • Player
  • 57 battles
  • 1
  • Member since:
    10-01-2015
Hah! Try War Thunder. Arty is no problem. Bombers might get you, but at least they risk getting shot down by AA.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users