Jump to content


AW fail, wot I am back.


  • Please log in to reply
119 replies to this topic

Raffy5 #41 Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:47 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 26711 battles
  • 1,977
  • Member since:
    07-09-2012

Some things are the same as in WOT same are different.

I like that you have to use our brain to pen other tanks depending on what armor they have (steel, composite, reactive armor and so on) unlike WOT where you load prem ammo and make swiss cheese out of the most armored tanks in the game. The game is in open beta for just 4 months, ofc there will be some bugs that will be solved along the way, but what about WOT, Fishermans bay is a crap map where there are constantly people crashing when played in randoms, cw, skirmishes (we had a cw during IS-5 campaign vs EFE and we have 6 people crashing and they had 5-6 as well on that map - good work WG after 5 years good job) - WG is aware of this, are they working on solving this? I tell you NO, they do not care. This is just an example, there are many other bugs in WOT and this game is more than 5 years old.

 

So do not judge a game that just come out in open beta 4 months ago with a game that come out more then 5 years ago and from what I can see it is still in some sort of beta. There is not one patch that does not bring a new bug in WOT. 



gpalsson #42 Posted 25 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View Postpussinbootsraffy, on 25 January 2016 - 08:47 AM, said:

Some things are the same as in WOT same are different.

I like that you have to use our brain to pen other tanks depending on what armor they have (steel, composite, reactive armor and so on) unlike WOT where you load prem ammo and make swiss cheese out of the most armored tanks in the game. The game is in open beta for just 4 months, ofc there will be some bugs that will be solved along the way, but what about WOT, Fishermans bay is a crap map where there are constantly people crashing when played in randoms, cw, skirmishes (we had a cw during IS-5 campaign vs EFE and we have 6 people crashing and they had 5-6 as well on that map - good work WG after 5 years good job) - WG is aware of this, are they working on solving this? I tell you NO, they do not care. This is just an example, there are many other bugs in WOT and this game is more than 5 years old.

 

So do not judge a game that just come out in open beta 4 months ago with a game that come out more then 5 years ago and from what I can see it is still in some sort of beta. There is not one patch that does not bring a new bug in WOT. 

If you consider pixel shooting "using brain", well ok then. I like that all ammo has pros and cons, but the idiotic he spam and pixel shooting is retarded. 



tajj7 #43 Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 27247 battles
  • 14,842
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

View PostPrivate_Miros, on 23 January 2016 - 12:59 PM, said:

 

 

 

Sad thing is, low tier AW is actually great fun. It is WoT, but then improved. But once AW goes into the terrotory where it adds things, balance is just skewed totally.

 

 

This tiers 1-5, maybe up to 6 is pretty good, things have gone a bit off with balance above that.

 

AW still has loads of potential though, people are expecting them to get it right when WG have consistently failed on some issues for 5 years.

 

I mean off the bat IMO their MM being -1/+1, the ammo options and artillery are excellent changes, PVE adds extra element and is relaxing for grinds.

 

There are lots of positives for it as a game and I think it has good potential, just at the moment high tier balance and the gameplay not quite being tight enough is putting me off.

 

I certainly wouldn't write it off though, it also to me seems to have made way better progress in a similar time frame than WOWs.

 

What I do is check in every few weeks or so so what's been changed and progressed.



Nebulosa #44 Posted 25 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

    Warrant Officer

  • Beta Tester
  • 39241 battles
  • 615
  • [-LOA-] -LOA-
  • Member since:
    12-28-2010

View Postzeppombal, on 24 January 2016 - 06:41 PM, said:

Seriously though, it's not a bad game and I play it from time to time, but it's very very far from being the W.o.T crusher it was anticipated to be.

 

"Anticipated by whom?", one has to ask.

Granted, there seemed to be quite the wave of "AW is coming, WOT is doomed" on the forum a couple of months ago. So that could have left the impression that a majority actually expected that. But that were only those who actually debated the topic, and that's always a dubious measure.

I think quite a few players actually had a fair idea how hard it would be for a new game to move into WOT's niche, if only by knowing how reserved they were about moving over right away. After all, you don't need to delve into arcane mysteries of your gamer's soul to get to the point where you realize you throw your whole progress in WOT away to start from scratch in another game. This is an easy decision to make only if you have either not progressed very far (say, no further than Tier 7 on any line) or your frustration is so high that you have probably already stopped playing WOT anyway. If you have spent some money on the game, or have some Tier 10 tanks, or are in the clan, there's quite a bit of a hurdle.

The point is, while AW might be a good game (I really can't say, I never played it), it's way, way too similar to WOT to have a real chance to motivate players who have spent money as well as time and made social connections in WOT give that up and build up that from scratch. Climb a whole tech tree again? Spend again hours upon hours over a years until you are on the top? That game would have to have whole new dimensions of depth to get players to do this. And I doubt AW offers that, no matter how good it is.

 

 

 



chiggy #45 Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:39 PM

    Second Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 32040 battles
  • 1,010
  • [ROTN1] ROTN1
  • Member since:
    07-17-2011
No one owns the rights to online WW2 tank Battle games.............Battlefield 1942 was around long before WOT. There is still room for a good WW2 tank game.

​As for AW......I became tired of downloading the same client over and over. Those torturous downloads must of been a nightmare for some people in Europe :-)


HundeWurst #46 Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

    Brigadier

  • Player
  • 73557 battles
  • 4,536
  • [FAME] FAME
  • Member since:
    02-06-2012

View Postgpalsson, on 24 January 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

Yeah...I met a fair share of "smart" commanders in AW.

MBTards who whenever an AFV kills then will whine about what area MBT's needs buffs in next to beat AFVs, because having better gun, much better armor (many AFVs can't even pen sides of MBTs), good enough mobility and viewrange enough to spot AFVs as soon as they shoot isn't enough.

No, Obsidian completely fvcked up when they tried to balance higher tiers, and listened way too much to MBTards.

 

At the time tier 9 tanks came out, MBTs had buffs in every single patch, and the tier 9s were so ridicules that I simply quit when I saw the stats and the armor schemes.

The only thing AFVs has going for them was the shot delay (effectively a bug), because it is ridiculously hard to hit fast moving targets with a large delay like that.

TDs pretty much just sucks.

LTs are some weird hybrid of TDs and AFVs - just as useless, but all must bow to the mightly MBTs who have to be able to crush all and everything for some unknown reason. 

 

In the end, since I had no interest shooting pixel weakspots on other MBT's, and all other classes sucks, I quit.

 

lol that is EXACTLY the same reason and way i quit aw as well :D

 

point by point^^



tajj7 #47 Posted 25 January 2016 - 12:58 PM

    Field Marshal

  • Player
  • 27247 battles
  • 14,842
  • [RGT] RGT
  • Member since:
    03-30-2014

The other issue they have is that MBTs, particularly second and third generation ones are "doing everything" AFVs, which kind of makes other vehicles pointless.

 

 



Don_Bombeu #48 Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:20 AM

    Lance-corporal

  • Player
  • 7244 battles
  • 66
  • Member since:
    05-02-2013

View Postgpalsson, on 23 January 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

Well I wouldn't actually mind that at all, if only they had improved in WoT. Sadly they didn't.

1) Shot delay is much worse than ghost shells. Bad decision.

2) Arty is still retarded, no matter what. Bad decision.

3) MBT's in higher tiers makes everything else obsolete. Bad balancing.

4) PvE is currently poorly implemented and boring.

5) A lot of what makes WoT fun, like angling you tank to maximize armor and armor vs environment is gone in AW, because the penetration values vs armor values are poorly thought out. Maybe it is realistic or some crap, but I don't give a fvck. It's also a lot more boring. MBT's have tiny weakspots on the front, with almost everything being impenetrable. TD's penning MBTs? LOLNOPE. If an MBT turns slightly, everyone will pen it's side. But only MBTs and TDs. Because AFVs, they won't even be able to pen the sides.

6) Idiotic shitty spotting system, catering for the already pampered MBT players who go to the forum depring "BUT MBTs IN REAL LIFE MASTERRACE, MUST ALSO BE IN GAME" and seemingly Obsidian also thinks this is the way it should be.

 

Regarding the MBTs...for those who have not tried AW, I can try to explain it in WoT terms.

Think about an O-I in WoT. Tiny weakspot. Then consider you have 120 pen and no premium shells. Then consider that all heavies are like that, only they are faster, turns better although their alpha is lower.

That's how they made almost ALL higher tiered MBT's in AW. It's just retarded.

 

View Postgpalsson, on 24 January 2016 - 06:49 PM, said:

Yeah...I met a fair share of "smart" commanders in AW.

MBTards who whenever an AFV kills then will whine about what area MBT's needs buffs in next to beat AFVs, because having better gun, much better armor (many AFVs can't even pen sides of MBTs), good enough mobility and viewrange enough to spot AFVs as soon as they shoot isn't enough.

No, Obsidian completely fvcked up when they tried to balance higher tiers, and listened way too much to MBTards.

 

At the time tier 9 tanks came out, MBTs had buffs in every single patch, and the tier 9s were so ridicules that I simply quit when I saw the stats and the armor schemes.

The only thing AFVs has going for them was the shot delay (effectively a bug), because it is ridiculously hard to hit fast moving targets with a large delay like that.

TDs pretty much just sucks.

LTs are some weird hybrid of TDs and AFVs - just as useless, but all must bow to the mightly MBTs who have to be able to crush all and everything for some unknown reason. 

 

In the end, since I had no interest shooting pixel weakspots on other MBT's, and all other classes sucks, I quit.

 

Sorry man, but you're  a BIG AW tomato.

Edited by _Faliment_, 26 January 2016 - 10:22 AM.


Raffy5 #49 Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:25 AM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 26711 battles
  • 1,977
  • Member since:
    07-09-2012

View Postgpalsson, on 25 January 2016 - 10:54 AM, said:

If you consider pixel shooting "using brain", well ok then. I like that all ammo has pros and cons, but the idiotic he spam and pixel shooting is retarded. 

 

In WOT a brain dead zombie can load prem ammo and will pen, in AW same brain dead zombie will pen crap since he will be lost without his precious prem ammo that can pen all so he will start to think (hopefully) and learn that you do not shoot that type of ammo if you face that type of armor, so yeah in this case AW required more brain activity then WOT.

 

Also the damage mechanics I find it much better, you shoot non essential crap you do less damage (maybe 25% of the average damage), while in WOT no matter what you hit you do the average damage all the time, ofc taking the rng in account.


Edited by pussinbootsraffy, 26 January 2016 - 10:32 AM.


shishx_the_animal #50 Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:27 AM

    Colonel

  • WGL PRO Player
  • 32036 battles
  • 3,909
  • [FAME] FAME
  • Member since:
    04-06-2013

View Post_Faliment_, on 26 January 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

 

 

Sorry man, but you're  a BIG AW tomato.

 

Big boy put on his big boy pants and made a comment with big fonts. :teethhappy:

 

Can you at least explain to them why they are big tomatoes? For having an opinion (even though it's a negative one)?


Edited by shishx, 26 January 2016 - 10:29 AM.


gpalsson #51 Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View Post_Faliment_, on 26 January 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

 

 

Sorry man, but you're  a BIG AW tomato.

Thanks for your thorough analysis. I am sure you are an aw unicum as well as a unicum in real life. 

 

Yes. That was sarcasm. 

View Postpussinbootsraffy, on 26 January 2016 - 09:25 AM, said:

 

In WOT a brain dead zombie can load prem ammo and will pen, in AW same brain dead zombie will pen crap since he will be lost without his precious prem ammo that can pen all so he will start to think (hopefully) and learn that you do not shoot that type of ammo if you face that type of armor, so yeah in this case AW required more brain activity then WOT.

 

Also the damage mechanics I find it much better, you shoot non essential crap you do less damage (maybe 25% of the average damage), while in WOT no matter what you hit you do the average damage all the time, ofc taking the rng in account.

 

It is true that premium ammo in WoT is a major issue and I agree that AW tried to solve this and to a certain degree did it very well. The major problem with AW is that after tier 5/6, this doesn't work any more. HEAT simply becomes ineffective and obsolete because almost all tanks have composite armor, and since rockets are also SC, with the additional downside that you need to aim from an often dangerous position for a long time, while also being completely negated by many different types of defences, in the end the ammo choice in tier 7/8/9 isn't really bigger than in WoT.

The guns are more accurate, and aimtime is better, but you also have a tendency to fight from a bit further away than in WoT and the weakspots are much smaller (on MBTs).

What does this mean?

It means that in effect, the RNG is almost as omnipresent as in WoT because even with perfect aim you are left the RNG gods if you hit the right pixel. Or you can load just load HE and shoot the same weakspots on many tanks and have a better chance, but a lower damage.

Vision games were almost non-present in AW when I played it. I know they added the dynamic camo thing after I quit, but unless they majorly change the MBTards supreme right to be better at everything, I won't be going back.

AW has a lot of good things going, but until they get the most super annoying gamebreaking stuff to work like high tier balance and shot delay, WoT is sadly just a better game.

 


Edited by gpalsson, 26 January 2016 - 11:00 AM.


HugsAndKisses #52 Posted 26 January 2016 - 10:33 AM

    Lieutenant Сolonel

  • Player
  • 24537 battles
  • 3,103
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

OP, we're going to need you to go ahead and stay with AW for a little bit longer.

WG is still a little nervous about AW and as long as it is, we can expect big things like the arty reword to progress.

If you all come back, WG will snap right back to introducing new premium tanks :(


 

:-P



happyal #53 Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:09 AM

    Corporal

  • Player
  • 11640 battles
  • 170
  • [95TH] 95TH
  • Member since:
    06-16-2011

I play a little AW, and will still play some games in it, but I'm mostly moved back to WOT. 

 

I haven't raced up the tiers, I'm still on Tier 5 to 6 for most of the lines, and it's a fun game but the economy is messed up. I currently have 4 new tanks unlocked but just don't have any credits to buy anything. It's so bad I just can't be bothered to grind credits, because I would need to grind too many. If they fix that I think the game has legs, it's fun to play and I think it'll do OK.

 

I've played both the Tier 4 arty's in AW and I think they are a lot of fun. Not overly powerful, but you can get constant damage on things. It's fun to play counter arty role too, it might need a few tweats but I think they are on to something.

 

At the moment WoT's is a more polished game, and it still the game I fire up if I want a quick fix. 



Hedgehog1963 #54 Posted 26 January 2016 - 02:15 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 52720 battles
  • 7,858
  • [DIRTY] DIRTY
  • Member since:
    04-26-2011

I predicted that this rival would go the same way as War Thunder.  The predictions that that would kill WoT proved just as false as did those saying AW would.

 

Played about a half dozen games of AW myself to see whether it is any good and to secure the gift tanks, Type59 and T62A.  It's OK but at that level I can't see any advantage over WoT.  


Edited by Erinaceus_europaeus, 27 January 2016 - 06:00 PM.


Ulfhedinn_ #55 Posted 27 January 2016 - 05:44 PM

    Lieutenant General

  • Player
  • 48246 battles
  • 7,041
  • Member since:
    05-02-2013

lol, seems you can't trust anyone who says WOT's is better than it's competition:

 

http://ftr.wot-news....on-war-thunder/



gpalsson #56 Posted 27 January 2016 - 06:35 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View PostMaxmk6, on 27 January 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

lol, seems you can't trust anyone who says WOT's is better than it's competition:

 

http://ftr.wot-news....on-war-thunder/

Well if you can make obsidian stop making retarded decisions I'd gladly switch. Please tell them to stop buffing mbts, at least a few patches in a row. 



Bulldog_Drummond #57 Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:34 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 31834 battles
  • 9,786
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View PostBalc0ra, on 23 January 2016 - 01:12 PM, said:

 But there is listening and taking it into account and thinking of how it would affect the game in the long run. And then there is doing everything the players want just to keep them "happy". I suspect the latter will be AW demise in the long run if they keep this up. Same as the balancing department did ruin WT GF in the long run.

 

Doing what customers think they want - and especially doing what those who shout most loudly think they want - is folly for any business.

 

Any half-way competent business will know better than its customers.



Bulldog_Drummond #58 Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:39 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 31834 battles
  • 9,786
  • [WJDE] WJDE
  • Member since:
    08-10-2014

View Posttajj7, on 25 January 2016 - 11:58 AM, said:

The other issue they have is that MBTs, particularly second and third generation ones are "doing everything" AFVs, which kind of makes other vehicles pointless.

 

 

 

One reason I never even bothered to look at AW.

 

Once past the Korean War period, tactical tank vs tank combat is of very little interest.



Raffy5 #59 Posted 27 January 2016 - 08:54 PM

    Lieutenant

  • Player
  • 26711 battles
  • 1,977
  • Member since:
    07-09-2012

View Postgpalsson, on 27 January 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

Well if you can make obsidian stop making retarded decisions I'd gladly switch. Please tell them to stop buffing mbts, at least a few patches in a row. 

 

AW is in open beta for like 5-6 months? Compare it to how WOT was in its first 5-6 moths, I think it fairs better. Yeah they took a lot from WOT and made this move further down the development line but still it is a young game in open beta and some bugs, unbalances and so on will be present. 

 

Time will tell if they are going to make the correct moves (moves that for some will be the bad ones, because you change the MTB's you anger a part of your player base while the other is happy, it is a fine balance for doing this), some like making arty as it is now in AW something much more enjoyable then what arty is in WOT. 



gpalsson #60 Posted 27 January 2016 - 09:08 PM

    General

  • Player
  • 24477 battles
  • 8,929
  • [-MM] -MM
  • Member since:
    04-13-2013

View Postpussinbootsraffy, on 27 January 2016 - 07:54 PM, said:

 

AW is in open beta for like 5-6 months? Compare it to how WOT was in its first 5-6 moths, I think it fairs better. Yeah they took a lot from WOT and made this move further down the development line but still it is a young game in open beta and some bugs, unbalances and so on will be present. 

 

Time will tell if they are going to make the correct moves (moves that for some will be the bad ones, because you change the MTB's you anger a part of your player base while the other is happy, it is a fine balance for doing this), some like making arty as it is now in AW something much more enjoyable then what arty is in WOT. 

I don't mind that they took a lot from WoT. In fact, I think they should take more. Like the way armor works for example.

I also don't mind bugs. I am not the slightest worried about those because they will eventually get sorted out.

I am however very worried about the direction they are heading.

The thing is, it isn't fun shooting for pixel weakspots, and it isn't fun being food for an überclass. I know they can't completely change MBTs and nerf them from being gods of everything to balanced tanks because the MBTards will go batsh1t crazy if they do. We still have MBTards who will complain about the weasel being too small, so they can't hit it! That's where we are now!

 

But the fact is, Obsidian put themselves into this situation where they now have half their playerbase who only want to play MBTs because they are used to everything else being crap and simply just food for their mighty MBTs.

 

Arty in AW is still pretty bad in higher tiers. IMO they work fine in lower tiers, but as soon as you get the tier 8 ones, it's broken again.

 

The spotting system was completely broken when I left. Now they made the negation of camo in smaller steps rather than totally binary, and that surely was a good change, but I still don't think camo means enough.

TDs are as useless as ever, and LTs are just...meh.

LT's was the class I looked forward to the most, but they are quite underwhelming.

 

Bottom line:

It is OK that WoT is more polished, has more content, has more players and has better technical solutions.

It's not OK that they seemingly do not want to take the steps towards:

Changing arty in higher tiers

Switching from shot delay to ghost shells

Making MBTs a class like any others even if it means disappointing the MBTards who want them to be omnipotent.

Fixing TDs and LT's by making them have an actual role.






1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users