The ESL Open/Major League now on World of Tanks!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
A new team challenge in between two seasons of the Wargaming.net League.

Full news text

okuni #2 Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:46 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 12135 battles
  • [-5O1-] -5O1-
Great news ! :D

Edited by okuni, 05 February 2016 - 05:03 PM.

MustafaJoint #3 Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:50 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 2022 battles

Shame it's tier X,  Would jumped at this if it was the old 54/7 format. :(

embirrim_esl #4 Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:55 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15245 battles

View PostMACTEP_Putin, on 05 February 2016 - 03:50 PM, said:

You should give it a try ;) I also didn't like the new format, but when you actually play it it comes together very well - timelimit, viable tank pool, everything is quite interesting!

RandomDying #5 Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 21784 battles

View PostMACTEP_Putin, on 05 February 2016 - 04:50 PM, said:

As embirrim said, you should give it a try on next go4wot(next sunday 15CET) with a bunch of friends, it's way more fun than 7/54 because you have plenty more different tanks for each position or tactic. No more T54+IS3 combo! 

Danger__UXB #6 Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

Major

• Player
  • 9834 battles
Noob question:):....Do you still use 2 bases?

embirrim_esl #7 Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:12 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15245 battles

View PostDanger_UXB_, on 05 February 2016 - 04:58 PM, said:

Noob question:):....Do you still use 2 bases?

Yes, it's the Attack/defense mode, 2 bases with longer captures, 68 tier points, max tier 10, 10 minute timelimit.

iNece #8 Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

Private

• Player
  • 4873 battles
  • [LE-RO] LE-RO
yeey

Danger__UXB #9 Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

Major

• Player
  • 9834 battles

View Postembirrim_esl, on 05 February 2016 - 05:12 PM, said:

Yes, it's the Attack/defense mode, 2 bases with longer captures, 68 tier points, max tier 10, 10 minute timelimit.

You know..its great to see how this game can be played by the best players here but if i may i will tell you this..(Please bare in mind i want to put in some input but ive no wish to offend):)

I used to watch ESL until they changed it to 2 bases (I know this was a drive by WG to make the game more exiting.But as seen by the results it never happened)...I used to be a fan of ESL until

that change...When they changed it, it had turned into a DPM /Yolo battle and whoever was better at this won the game...The game went so far removed from the 'Original' game that

it felt like it had nothing to offer me in terms of learning strategies/moves/tactics/positions that i might use in randoms...So i stopped watching as it was like looking at a totally different game.

..I wanted to like it but i could not..

i really feel that you are making steps in the right direction to make ESL as popular as it was (And mabye better?) ..As you are making moves toward the cores of the gameplay which we all love..And

that is 'Strategy' that can be used as near as dammit in 'Randoms'...(Even victor Kysili in the Jingles WG vids admits it was a mistake to move away from this in ESL)..And i concur.

My thoughts as a strategy lover but will never be good enough to play ESL...But i would watch;..

The nearer you get to the 'Original' core of this game the better.. (Ive always maintained this)...and making it an 'Open' event for every player (As you have done) is fantastic news for all and a step

in the right direction:) as this should bring some new players to the fold.

Good luck with all anyway and hope it takes off as it should?...Its a great game...And even better is to see how its played by better players than me.:honoring:

GL

Edited by Danger_UXB_, 05 February 2016 - 06:55 PM.

embirrim_esl #10 Posted 07 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15245 battles

View PostDanger_UXB_, on 05 February 2016 - 05:52 PM, said:

I used to watch ESL until they changed it to 2 bases (I know this was a drive by WG to make the game more exiting.But as seen by the results it never happened)...I used to be a fan of ESL until

that change...When they changed it, it had turned into a DPM /Yolo battle and whoever was better at this won the game...The game went so far removed from the 'Original' game that

it felt like it had nothing to offer me in terms of learning strategies/moves/tactics/positions that i might use in randoms...So i stopped watching as it was like looking at a totally different game.

..I wanted to like it but i could not..

i really feel that you are making steps in the right direction to make ESL as popular as it was (And mabye better?) ..As you are making moves toward the cores of the gameplay which we all love..And

that is 'Strategy' that can be used as near as dammit in 'Randoms'...(Even victor Kysili in the Jingles WG vids admits it was a mistake to move away from this in ESL)..And i concur.

I really don't remember Kysli saying that in the video :P if he did, please point me to the time :)

With 1 base he game was a camping, draw festival where the only incentive for teams to push was prizemoney for winning rounds faster. Seriously, check the wiki.

With 2 bases the game is dynamic, there is more skill involved, with T10 and the 10minute timelimit it is also possible to start a tactic, and change mid-round/adapt if it's not going well.

The mode doesn't have the touch-and-feel of T10 CW, and doesn't have the franticness of the 7/54 format. 7 tanks are the perfect amount to highlight individual skill, whilst being able to win a game with tactics alone, and where every shot still matters (unlike, say, 15v15). There is no YOLO in with 7/68, and armor plays a part in the game so DPM is not that important. The viable tank pool is huge. From 113 to AMX30 prototype to IS3 to RHM to lorr155. Take your pick.

Ask anyone that has given it a good chance - you'll start hating randoms and loving the attack/defense format. 15v15 just doesn't have enough emphasis on individual skill to make it a proper eSports format.

Danger__UXB #11 Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:38 PM

Major

• Player
  • 9834 battles

View Postembirrim_esl, on 07 February 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

I really don't remember Kysli saying that in the video :P if he did, please point me to the time :)

If you look at 12.20 in this vid you will see Victor kysili stating (In so many words) that the 7/42 and its format was a 'mistake' as it was so far removed from the game...You are better watching from earlier

tho so you see the context he has been put in..

...i believe using tier 10,s is a good move in the right direction as i said ,..''ESL needs to be near as possible to the 'Core' of the game''...But my only thoughts are that you are only making it available

to the 'Longer term' players who have these tiers??..

I think for it fully to take off it needs to be Tier 8 again but mabye with limitations on tank numbers and their usage?...mabye just allow a max of 2-3 of the same vehicle to at least give it some tank

variety and also with it will come 'varying tactics'??..

..People will then watch this and you would create a better/Bigger 'fan base' than what you have already...people would come to watch how certain tanks would,Could and should be played as many are

keen to learn from better players and mabye emulate them and their tactics/Positions in battle.

..Just my thoughts anyway and thanks for listening:)....(And sorry for the off topic)

embirrim_esl #12 Posted 08 February 2016 - 02:36 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 15245 battles

View PostDanger_UXB_, on 07 February 2016 - 04:38 PM, said:

If you look at 12.20 in this vid you will see Victor kysili stating (In so many words) that the 7/42 and its format was a 'mistake' as it was so far removed from the game...You are better watching from earlier

tho so you see the context he has been put in..

...i believe using tier 10,s is a good move in the right direction as i said ,..''ESL needs to be near as possible to the 'Core' of the game''...But my only thoughts are that you are only making it available

to the 'Longer term' players who have these tiers??..

..People will then watch this and you would create a better/Bigger 'fan base' than what you have already...people would come to watch how certain tanks would,Could and should be played as many are

keen to learn from better players and mabye emulate them and their tactics/Positions in battle.

You seem to be a bit out of the loop ;) first there was 7/42, then we had 7/54, and now we have 7/68. What he is talking about is 7/42, a mode with TIer 8s and one Tier 1, and 1 base for each team. This was just a bad mode, and actually it's because WG f'd up their first eSports attempt that most people are turned off by the idea of eSports. Anyone that says 7/42 was better than 54 or 68 hasn't played any of them ;)

7/54 was Tier 8s and is the current Team Battle format ingame. It was good but the tank variety at T8 is quite low, there are a few very unbalanced tanks.

7/68 was WG's decision, and it was based on their statistics. They say the average player has more than 5 tier 10s in the garage, and if you take that into account, T10 is actually the best place to base eSports on.

Tank variety at tier 10 is also higher - if you disagree, go watch WGLEU. It's also closer to the base game, as Tier 10s are the "goal" of most players. And as Kisly said in the video, eSports has to be interesting from a viewership POV - 7v7 is much more exciting than 15v15, taking into account the map sizes.

The problem is not the eSports format, it's the base game format :) random battles are just... random. And because of WG's first attempt at eSports, the celebrities that players look up to are pubstompers with high WN8, instead of (like in any other game with a flourishing eSports scene) the teams and players at the top of the eSports ladder. If I talk to you about quickybaby, you know who he is. If I talk about Kycok... silence. Quickybaby stomps 46% winrate players in unorganized 15v15, Wombats on Tanks are at the top of the WGLEU, competing against players of equal skill.

Anyway, I could go on. The problem is not the modes, it's the mentality of the playerbase. That's not their fault, it's WG. But I think (or I like to think) that they're working towards fixing it.

nevim1__FTS #13 Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:17 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 27610 battles
  • [ANV-V] ANV-V

Low popularity of WoT eSport is in my opinion just because of WGs wrong steps in this game, because almost noone will become interested in 7/68 ESL, when ,,main" part in game is 15v15 random and 15v15 (or 10v10 T8 and 7v7 T6) CW... You wont probably get much more eSport players or stream viewers, if you dont make from 7/68 a big part of this game, for example main or another part of Clan Wars. If you will, there will be at least a lot of players watching WGL streams to see new tactics, important positions, etc. from the best WoT players and teams, but I believe most of them will even start playing 7v7 eSports to practise or win better prizes. Another problem is in my opinion allowing players to use modifications (even forbidden ones) in game. Most of players use them, some of them cant even imagine playing without them and when they hear about anticheat and about that they cant use any mods in some competitions, they lose their interest about eSport, because they dont want to get used to playing without mods because of such a low prizes as are now (prizes - the next problem, new players/teams wouldnt be on the top of Gold or Silver series and reaching 19th place in Silver (for poor 70 dollars) or higher places in cups for a few golds wouldnt be easy for them and when they cant win golds in their national sections (even on tier 3 are I guess really low prizes for average teams, again gj WG), there is almost any motivation for them to start playing it these days. If you forbid using all modifications on random and find way how to make using them impossible for every computer genius, maybe players wont have to download anticheat and restart game after every match + they will be used to playing vanilla from random, so they will be thinking more about starting playing ESL...

Just my opinion, not the best english, but I hope you understand to everything I wrote :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users