Can a faulty GFX card or something break monitors?

pc breaking monitors

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Chute #1 Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5975 battles
  • [WALET] WALET

now here's a thing, I'm having all sorts of trouble with my work PC but today I thought I'd cracked it. then my monitor went black for no reason.

you turn the monitor off and back on and you get the windows desktop for about 2 seconds then its back to a black screen. so this as many times as you like and oyu get the same result. tried that monitor on another pc with same result so definitely broken.

I borrow a monitor from elsewhere in the building and use it for approx 6 hours, then hey presto, it does the same damn thing.

is it possible for my pc to be breaking monitors? I know that sounds mad.

Obsessive_Compulsive #2 Posted 09 February 2016 - 05:33 PM

General

• Player
  • 23900 battles
some system specs would be a good start.

Somnorila #3 Posted 09 February 2016 - 06:22 PM

Captain

• Player
  • 55589 battles
  • [4-YOU] 4-YOU

Never heard of it, but who knows it may be possible although a connector issue would be more probable in that case. I would check the power source on the monitor. Did you used same monitor adapter? Same socket, extension cord? Do you have an UPS?

Your description on how the monitor was behaving makes me think that it may be some condenser issue which is more likely to be a matter of power supply rather than a faulty video connector. 

Edited by Somnorila, 09 February 2016 - 06:24 PM.

Chute #4 Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5975 battles
  • [WALET] WALET

Hi, thanks for replies so far.

Machine is an i5 3670K, 8gb, 250gb SSD and an MSI R7 240 2GB running windows 10

even more strangely, the original monitor than broke, despite me trying it on an entirely different pc with new leads etc (and it gave the same fault) has mysteriously come back to life.

I am sat in front of 2 monitors now, one plugged into the DVI socket, the other plugged into the VGA socket (previously I was using the VGA socket when both monitors 'broke;) in at attempt to prove the VGA output is somehow faulty.

Sadly both monitors have been on all night and were still on this morning so no joy for a solution so far.

New monitor arrives today but I am reluctant to plug it in until I have convinced myself this pc isnt somehow buggering them up.

Chute #5 Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5975 battles
  • [WALET] WALET
I am running a UPS with the PC and monitor going through it. second monitor is straight into the wall though.

MR_FIAT #6 Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18489 battles
  • [_RBP_] _RBP_
The monitor coming up for 2 seconds then going black is often caused by a faulty powersuply in the monitor (if its build into it.) ussualy happens because crap capacitors died and either are bulging or leaking. I dont know if these monitors are older but that is what i think might be the case.

CroustibatFR #7 Posted 10 February 2016 - 04:28 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 23297 battles

Usually you only get signals on a vga/dvi/hmdi cable, there are protections to avoid sending power, and to prevent bursting when receiving power.

As said above that kind of problem is power related, probably a capacitor from the computer GFX card that discharges and triggers a protection in the monitor. It would have to be a significant one though. Or it could be a self gone bad; when you charge a self and disconnects it, it creates a very high tension (and a very low intensity). This can trigger protections too. That mechanism is used for ignition in petrol engine, the coils are charged at 12V, then the circuit is opened and there is a very short spike in current at 15.000 to 60.000V. This is sent to the spark plug, and acts just like thunder between its electrodes.

Every electronic circuit in Europe that complies with the CE norms has to have protections against this, but there is a limit to how often it can get triggered before burning. (US continent has a similar FCC norm).

If it is a coil discharge, there could be some burn marks around, so you could check for this. I'd change the GFX card for a start, then use some test software to check for power supply voltages spikes or ripple (although this has less chances to be the culprit). I usually use OCCT, it produces heavy load and has good graphs.

Chute #8 Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:07 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 5975 battles
  • [WALET] WALET
turns out the gfx card is buggered, no monitors were harmed in the making of this post. turns out the onboard graphics arent as totally crap as suspected so I am using that now. thank you all for your help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users