• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Yaffle1234 #1 Posted 10 February 2016 - 02:30 PM

Corporal

• Clan Diplomat
  • 40350 battles
  • [B--R] B--R

I'm currently reading the second world war by Winston Churchill

A small section made me chuckle regarding the capture of General Von Thoma following the battle of El Alamein.

Shortly after capture, Apparently Von Thoma was invited to, and attended dinner with General Montgomery in his private caravan. This caused a ruckus back in England (the Germans, at that time not being the most popular of folk) culminating in a debate or two in the houses of parliament (assume the point being Montgomery was due a b*llocking for his questionable judgement).

Churchill commenting twice to house in response on this matter (not sure which order, or whether it was once with a mis-quote), anyways once or twice both versions are brill:

'Poor Von Thoma, I too have dined with Montgomery' and the second ' "I sympathize with General von Thoma: Defeated, in captivity and... (long pause for dramatic effect) dinner with Montgomery'

Churchill speaking of Montgomery remarked to King George that he though Montgomery was 'after his job', 'Oh really' replied King George 'I thought he was after mine'.

The last one, Churchill summarising the situation in late 1940 to his Army attendant/assistant ----- France, Belgium, Holland, Czechlovakia, Poland and all Englands friends/allies were defeated and no prospect of America entering the war. Thus England was alone, its army defeated, no equipment for home defence with no prospect whatsoever of winning the war against Germany and its Allies (Soviet Union, Italy, Japan etc) Only the Royal Navy and Royal Air Force stood between the mainland and defeat. To make matters worse a portion of the House of Commons were gaining ground with regard to making terms with Hitler. Churchill confessed this to be one of darkest times with little apparent hope, however he stated his moral was restored when his attendant commented' Not to worry sir, at least we're in the final and its to be fought on home ground - have a cup of tea'

Kevbar #2 Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 18142 battles
Brilliant :honoring:

tigerstreak #3 Posted 14 February 2016 - 04:31 AM

Colonel

• Beta Tester
  • 23512 battles
  • [BL33T] BL33T

One less famous quote i like

"if youre going through hell... Keep going"

Funniest has to be, talking to a lady... Along the lines on

Winston, you are drunk

W - and you are ugly, but in the morning i will be sober

If u were my husband, id poison u

W - +if u were my wife, id drink it

Edited by tigerstreak, 14 February 2016 - 04:34 AM.

Avange_sevenfold #4 Posted 14 February 2016 - 11:37 PM

Staff Sergeant

• Player
  • 8019 battles

View Posttigerstreak, on 14 February 2016 - 04:31 AM, said:

One less famous quote i like

"if youre going through hell... Keep going"

Funniest has to be, talking to a lady... Along the lines on

Winston, you are drunk

W - and you are ugly, but in the morning i will be sober

If u were my husband, id poison u

W - +if u were my wife, id drink it

I have heard that one, however I do not think it was Churchill who said it. Come one, the guy was educated to stand up when a woman entered the room, can you imagine him saying to a lady, close enough to him to call him Winston, that she was ugly?! And buy the look of it, this was supposed to be a private conversation, whoever will eavesdrop and then tell? 

The second part is more believable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users