Extra History: The Battle of Kursk (part 1) – Operation Barbarossa

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Community #1 Posted 16 February 2016 - 09:11 AM

Sergeant

• Content Team
  • 0 battles
We're happy to announce that we're teaming up with the good people from Extra Credits to create a sponsored series on the Battle of Kursk!

Full news text

Car_Junaka #2 Posted 16 February 2016 - 11:05 AM

Second Lieutenant

• Player
  • 44539 battles

I'm sure that my great grandfather was not killed because he welcomed the Nazis as liberators, he was killed in battle, you know, because he fought against them, like millions of people from former Yugoslavia. So that part about Balkans is bull*hit. 

Sorry for my bad English, it's not my native language.

Alkibiades #3 Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:04 PM

Private

• Player
  • 38059 battles

Extra Credits did some mistakes, no doubt. They said Balkans instead of Baltics (even though there were pro-German groups in the Balkans as well). However, they have the habit of collecting all mistakes they made to eventually discuss and correct them in a separate episode. Only thing they need is the help of the viewers.

Personally, i really enjoy EC. It's great infotainment. Even when some details are wrong, the overall message is usually quite to the point and does in general reflect history better than any 1 hour documentary about "invincible Tiger's". Actually, even a some hundred page book by Janusz Piekałkiewicz will likely fail to teach history for most people, despite and partly because it's love for details. This is where EC steps in - entertaining and with a focus on narrative. Thus, I say thank you WG! And thanks EC!

By the way... EC will certainly not act as a WG propaganda tool. They have their own agenda.

Hero_of_Tython #4 Posted 16 February 2016 - 04:39 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 24003 battles
  • [AOTO] AOTO

View PostAlkibiades, on 16 February 2016 - 03:04 PM, said:

Extra Credits did some mistakes, no doubt. They said Balkans instead of Baltics (even though there were pro-German groups in the Balkans as well). However, they have the habit of collecting all mistakes they made to eventually discuss and correct them in a separate episode. Only thing they need is the help of the viewers.

Yep, after most series they do a much longer video where James (the long haired one) outlines what they got wrong and other little things they simply didn't have time to tell. Lets be fair these are not massively long documentaries like the World at War, they are just a brief overview of the situation, so they have to gloss over or just miss out things due to time constraints. However if these videos give people, who would otherwise have never of heard of some of these things, a better knowledge of history then I am all for it. If they make a mistake let them know in the video comments I'm fairly certain they will take notice and address the issue.

Personally, i really enjoy EC. It's great infotainment. Even when some details are wrong, the overall message is usually quite to the point and does in general reflect history better than any 1 hour documentary about "invincible Tiger's". Actually, even a some hundred page book by Janusz Piekałkiewicz will likely fail to teach history for most people, despite and partly because it's love for details. This is where EC steps in - entertaining and with a focus on narrative. Thus, I say thank you WG! And thanks EC!

I;ve been watching EC even before they started doing history stuff and just focused on the game industry. I man not always agree with them and ofc these short videos can never give you the full picture on a subject, but I like the sense of humour and the presentation style and I would encourage everyone to go and watch their other non-history videos, and I think every single person who plays online games needs to watch their videos of Toxicity and Harassment. 

By the way... EC will certainly not act as a WG propaganda tool. They have their own agenda.

EC's very first History video was sponsored by the people behind Rome: Total War (and was about the Punic Wars), apart from one shout out at the start of Episode one and a mention in the credit, that company were never mentioned again, I would be amazed if they didn't treat WG in the same way.

Edited by Inverse_IV, 16 February 2016 - 04:41 PM.

Alkibiades #5 Posted 16 February 2016 - 05:42 PM

Private

• Player
  • 38059 battles

View PostInverse_IV, on 16 February 2016 - 03:39 PM, said:

I;ve been watching EC even before they started doing history stuff and just focused on the game industry... I think every single person who plays online games needs to watch their videos of Toxicity and Harassment. 

It's the same for me. They have these game design videos, where they find words for the things that lingered in my mind without shape and structure - I really like that. And even though some of their history videos do not represent my understanding of the events, they usually present an interesting and reflected point of view.

nebopd #6 Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 20393 battles
Boring! Trivial and shallow "history" in 8 minutes.

faetont #7 Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 41972 battles
It seems that they switched Molotov and Ribbentrop on 0:29. Molotov is on the right, Ribbentrop on the left.

Battle_Stations_Number_1 #8 Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

Private

• Player
  • 25292 battles

Just like too point out that at the start Ribbontrop and Molotov are identified with there names, except they are the wrong way round Ribbontrop is the one stood up and Molotov is sat at the table ,ooops

75yrs #9 Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:20 PM

Private

• Player
  • 1999 battles
Operation Barbarossa was the invasion of Russia, Operation Citadel is the Battle of Kursk a good read is " The Battle of the Tanks" by Lloyd Clark

Ulfhedinn_ #10 Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:59 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 48246 battles

Wow. Great to see some WW2 history back on WOT's and Challenger due back in a vid, but wow, this is why the* some Yanks are err, a bit thick on history... cuz they have a post pubescent Mickey Mouse sounding robot rattling out vague potted (and so in many ways over simplified & wrong) history at them. Oh well, least they're trying.

edit - re EC (or is it ELC - Early Learning Centre), do they have a strong grass roots relationship in America with gamers, might this be more to help NA and then EU just gets it cuz it's there, if so (and actually whatever) I don't expect WG need much more off them than a short temporary endorsement. They have an audience WG would like endorsed access too, but I can't imagine they're a brand that would really add anything to WG long term. I've seen EC vids before (on gaming industry), really don't like them, they try & tell you what to think, and just like their history, imo their theories are potted & over simplified (or maybe it's just that annoying voice makes it seem so).

* edited the to some, just remembered PBS America, which is ace.

Edited by Maxmk6, 24 February 2016 - 12:17 AM.

Spkr4theDead #11 Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:49 AM

Private

• Player
  • 2388 battles
Are we gonna have some massive tank battle?

cornish_snowdog #12 Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:32 PM

Private

• Player
  • 15831 battles
Any credibility is lost by them not even getting the date right; 'Barbarossa' was launched on the 22 June, not the 21st. Poor.

KTz101 #13 Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

Lance-corporal

• Player
  • 37715 battles
Love to wtch these educational full of history articles. Good Job, hope to see more in the future.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users