How mandatory is vertical spabilizer on meduims and heavies?

vertical stabilizer equipment

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

PassoP #1 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:00 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26744 battles
  • [RIOD] RIOD

So, what kind of equipment setups do you run in your tanks that can equip vertical stabilizer? I'm mainly talking about mediums and heavies in this thread. Lights have scouting duties, so their equipment can be quite varied. Many lights have good gun handling too, and don't really need stabilizer that badly. As I understand, the basic setup is rammer and stabilizer, and then vents, optics or GLD as a third option. However I like to run both vents and optics at the expense of stabilizer in many tanks. How wrong choice is that in your opinion?

Here is my reasoning. I run optics, if the tank has 370-390 base vision range. That way I get close to 445m vision range and can fairly reliably spot enemy heavies and mediums anywhere, even if I have no scouts spotting for me. This is especially useful in the late game.

I use vents in all (medium and heavy) tanks that rely in mobility, camo or DPM. Vents gives about 2.2-2.7% bonus to all sorts of things. It's part of the vision boosting plan too. Also I can accelerate and turn my tank slightly faster and turn my turret slightly faster, and so I have my gun pointing at the enemy faster. Then I have the option to fire right away, or start aiming, which the vents helps too. So I have the option to shoot at my enemy earlier, and I get to fully aimed stage earlier (and I'm even more accurate then). I also use vents in tanks that have great turret armor and at least decent aim time, because I don't find it too difficult to stop to aim in many situations. Stabilizer would be good if the enemy snaps a shot and retreats to cover, so I could return fire more accurately, but then again I can just hold fire and stay in overwatch (barring I have to dodge arty).

Am I completely crazy here?

Three_Rounds_Rapid #2 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:07 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 52310 battles
  • [W__F] W__F

My setup is;

Heavies - Vstab, Vents, Rammer (exception if they have good view range like the T32 will drop Vents for Optics).

Mediums - Vstab, Optics, Rammer

I always mount Vstab if the tank will take it, a greater chance of landing each shot pays off more for me than a slightly faster reload and aim time or slightly better vision.

Edited by Three_Rounds_Rapid, 29 February 2016 - 12:10 PM.

Seekless #3 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:07 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 50159 battles

Run with what works for you, if that is not stabilizers so be it. However math wise you should run stabilizer on about anything you can put it on due to the increased chance you hit closer to where you were aiming at compared to when not using it.

dennez #4 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:16 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 20410 battles
  • [T-D-U] T-D-U

View PostPassoP, on 29 February 2016 - 12:00 PM, said:

So, what kind of equipment setups do you run in your tanks that can equip vertical stabilizer? I'm mainly talking about mediums and heavies in this thread. Lights have scouting duties, so their equipment can be quite varied. Many lights have good gun handling too, and don't really need stabilizer that badly. As I understand, the basic setup is rammer and stabilizer, and then vents, optics or GLD as a third option. However I like to run both vents and optics at the expense of stabilizer in many tanks. How wrong choice is that in 

Here is my reasoning. I run optics, if the tank has 370-390 base vision range. That way I get close to 445m vision range and can fairly reliably spot enemy heavies and mediums anywhere, even if I have no scouts spotting for me. This is especially useful in the late game.

I use vents in all (medium and heavy) tanks that rely in mobility, camo or DPM. Vents gives about 2.2-2.7% bonus to all sorts of things. It's part of the vision boosting plan too. Also I can accelerate and turn my tank slightly faster and turn my turret slightly faster, and so I have my gun pointing at the enemy faster. Then I have the option to fire right away, or start aiming, which the vents helps too. So I have the option to shoot at my enemy earlier, and I get to fully aimed stage earlier (and I'm even more accurate then). I also use vents in tanks that have great turret armor and at least decent aim time, because I don't find it too difficult to stop to aim in many situations. Stabilizer would be good if the enemy snaps a shot and retreats to cover, so I could return fire more accurately, but then again I can just hold fire and stay in overwatch (barring I have to dodge arty).

Yes, you are completely crazy.. vstab is mandatory, there is no reason NOT to mount it.

Lycopersicon #5 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

Colonel

• Player
  • 11470 battles
Makes a discernible difference in my experience. But how mandatory... I guess as long as all free slots are occupied with something that gives a clear benefit, you are good, and there is no sacred piece of equipment. So far, I have not omitted Vstab in any tank that can take it, but I do go without rammer in some, which would get me stoned to death if someone found out... oops.

Edited by Lycopersicon, 29 February 2016 - 12:22 PM.

RudeBwoyUK #6 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:21 PM

Warrant Officer

• Player
  • 32720 battles
  • [CMERC] CMERC

Imo optics on a heavy tank are a bit of a waste as most of the time the tanks you fight will be well within your view range.

Heavies I like rammer/vents/stab

Meds I like rammer/vents/stab

Usually the tier8+ Meds I have have decent crews with some recon/situational awareness going on. Edit:  same goes for.most heavies I have.

Edited by RudeBwoyUK, 29 February 2016 - 12:23 PM.

Schmeksiman #7 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17164 battles
  • [INC] INC

Vertical stabilizer is as important as a gun rammer, if your tank can mount one you absolutely should do so.

It's plain better than vents because the bonus is huge, allowing you to spend much less time aiming and hit your shots while not completely stationary.

Strapps #8 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

Field Marshal

• Player
  • 31596 battles
  • [GONAD] GONAD
Depends on the tank. I normally think of stabs as compulsory alongside a rammer but on my Black Prince I use a spall liner instead. It's slow enough and the gun dispersion figures are good enough for a fully trained crew to fire on the move anyway so I prefer a bit more protection from arty, given how they'll target a slow heavy over a closer threat because it can be easier to hit. 

Shnuks #9 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:45 PM

Brigadier

• Player
  • 44916 battles
  • [-MM] -MM
Have vstab on anything that can mount it. Except if i'm doing spotting missions i go for camo, binos and optics. 

Tidal_Force #10 Posted 29 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16195 battles

View PostPassoP, on 29 February 2016 - 11:00 AM, said:

Yes. Time saved on aiming due to Vents is completely negligible to time saved by VStab. Only situation where VStab offers no benefit is hardcamping, otherwise VStab outperforms any other module.

VStab+Rammer is a must. 3rd slot depends on tank, usually it's best reserved for Optics or GLD.

View PostRudeBwoyUK, on 29 February 2016 - 11:21 AM, said:

Imo optics on a heavy tank are a bit of a waste as most of the time the tanks you fight will be well within your view range.

Heavies I like rammer/vents/stab

Meds I like rammer/vents/stab

Usually the tier8+ Meds I have have decent crews with some recon/situational awareness going on. Edit:  same goes for.most heavies I have.

Some HTs have very high view ranges, like T32 with 400 view range on T8. Not using Optics on that one is a crime.

Edited by Tidal_Force, 29 February 2016 - 12:48 PM.

PassoP #11 Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

Corporal

• Player
  • 26744 battles
  • [RIOD] RIOD

So people in this thread seem quite unanimous about the rammer+stabilizer situation. Let's ask a hypothetical question. Would you tweak the balance between different equipment to make the choice harder and more relevant? Given if you nerfed rammer the reload time of all tanks would be buffed accordingly, so the gaming experience wouldn't suffer.

I quickly tried stabilizer+optics+rammer on AMX CDC, T29 and Comet, and I was quite happy with that. Thanks for the input guys.

SirKnumskull #12 Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

Major

• Player
  • 18374 battles
Most of the equipment has very limited use. Yes, a rebalance to make other equipment more viable would be an improvement.

Tidal_Force #13 Posted 29 February 2016 - 01:59 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 16195 battles

View PostPassoP, on 29 February 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

So people in this thread seem quite unanimous about the rammer+stabilizer situation. Let's ask a hypothetical question. Would you tweak the balance between different equipment to make the choice harder and more relevant? Given if you nerfed rammer the reload time of all tanks would be buffed accordingly, so the gaming experience wouldn't suffer.

I quickly tried stabilizer+optics+rammer on AMX CDC, T29 and Comet, and I was quite happy with that. Thanks for the input guys.

They should rather improve other modules:

- Make Spall Liner decrease HE damage by proper % instead of the stupid way it works now, and it would instantly become viable pick for 3rd slot.

- Make CO2 tanks auto extinguish one fire, just like AFE. Might offer some possibilities for food aficionados.

- Increase bonus on Toolbox.

Rest is more or less usable, in special situations: suspension eases most grinds, GLD is useful on lower tiers and sometimes used on high tiers with glacial aimtimes, Binocs and Camp Net are most useful for lower tiers.

TankkiPoju #14 Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:05 PM

General

• Player
  • 28228 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

View PostPassoP, on 29 February 2016 - 01:40 PM, said:

I always run optics with premium tanks, because spotting => assist damage => credits. And CDC is a very good early spotter.

arthurwellsley #15 Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

Major General

• Player
  • 59725 battles
  • [-MM] -MM

The maths says Vert Stab is mandatory on any tank that can mount it (many cannot- and on clickers it's better to use EGLD). Vert stab is the best piece of equipment in the game. See the thread below, not the first graph which is wrong but post 11 by Celesta with the correct graph;

http://forum.worldof...drive-the-math/

In addition the crew skills "Snap Shoot" on the tanks gunner, and "Smooth Ride" on the driver are culmative with Vert stab in reducing gun bloom and increasing aim time, and once those two perks are at 100%, they have approximately the same effect as a second Vert Stab at approximately 66.67% of the first one.

So a tank with Vert stab will aim faster than a tank without, possible by 0.5 to 0.9 of a second if both are stationery and facing one another, thus allowing the Vert Stab equipped tank to shot first. If both tanks are moving, or moving their turrets, then the advantage to the tank with vert stab is even larger when compared to the tank without.

lycea #16 Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:12 PM

Private

• Player
  • 39998 battles

I did a little experiment: tried playing my obj140/m48 patton without vert stab because those tanks already excel in that area. 

And maybe it's all psychological but the aimtime really felt much longer. Shooting on the move was still good. 

Edited by lycea, 29 February 2016 - 02:13 PM.

Siimcy #17 Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:21 PM

Lieutenant

• Player
  • 21871 battles
Vstab on mediums and anything it can be mounted on if it's available.

_Signal_ #18 Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:23 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 53959 battles
  • [S3AL] S3AL
vstab and rammer on anything that can take it as for the third that is tank dependant will be either vents or optics.

Edited by signal11th, 29 February 2016 - 02:23 PM.

Schmeksiman #19 Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:31 PM

Lieutenant General

• Player
  • 17164 battles
  • [INC] INC

View Postlycea, on 29 February 2016 - 02:12 PM, said:

And maybe it's all psychological but the aimtime really felt much longer. Shooting on the move was still good. 

It was much longer because vstabs decreases your reticle by 20%. So say your reticle is 100 in size, just using vstabs makes it 80 all the time, stationary or moving. Because it's smaller you can aim quicker even tho your aim time is the same.

GoldMountain #20 Posted 29 February 2016 - 02:54 PM

Captain

• Beta Tester
  • 20209 battles

View Postdennez, on 29 February 2016 - 11:16 AM, said:

Yes, you are completely crazy.. vstab is mandatory, there is no reason NOT to mount it.

Except on the FV215b which really does not need it...

Also tagged with vertical stabilizer, equipment

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users